• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Conference - Ocarina of Time Spring 2011 - Song of Double Time in Effect

This argument is probably dead now, but Super Mario 64 DS is amazing and controls fine, if you use the thumb strap like a real man. Someone said it was unplayable? No, the N64 original is unplayable, thanks to it's dogshit graphics.

If OoT3D does to OoT what SM64DS did to SM64, I'll be happy as a pig in filth.

WillyFive

Green Scar said:
This argument is probably dead now, but Super Mario 64 DS is amazing and controls fine, if you use the thumb strap like a real man. Someone said it was unplayable? No, the N64 original is unplayable, thanks to it's dogshit graphics.

The DS game has less appealing graphics than the N64 game. At least the N64 game has color, and not textures made out of square dots.

But the DS game is far from unplayable. It's not ideal, but totally playable.

EzLink

Banned
Green Scar said:

If OoT3D does to OoT what SM64DS did to SM64, I'll be happy as a pig in filth.

Yep. And by all accounts, it will be an even BIGGER improvement than what SM64DS was. As somebody said earlier, it will be the definitive version of the greatest game of all time :D

RagnarokX

redbarchetta said:
Well, it depends on how exactly you define "remake."

Crystalis (which they totally botched)
Diddy Kong Racing
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Super Mario 64 DS
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Metroid Zero Mission
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past & Four Swords
Super Mario Bros. DX
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 3
Super Mario Advance 4
Some Pokemon games that I can't be arsed to look up.

And if you really want to stretch things: Star Fox 64.
They remade Kirby's Adventure as Nightmare in Dreamland; I much prefer the original. Also, Spring Breeze in KSS is essentially a remake of the first Kirby game.

jett said:
This looks much closer to the original than I was anticipating. I thought it was gonna be a full-on remake. Ah well.

it looks about on par with Ape Escape PS1 to Ape Escape On the Loose PSP

also consider that OoT had a poor frame rate and this looks to be smooth...plus it's THREE DEE

Green Scar said:

How on earth do graphics make a game unplayable (framerate aside, which was never a problem in the original anyway)? It's not like the Mario 64 3DS was even much better, character models aside.

And I'll concede saying the game was "unplayable" was a bit of hyperbole (much like your comment), but it certainly didn't make it enjoyable. I did try using the thumb-strap and found it to be one of the least elegant methods of controlling a game ever. The complete lack of tactile feedback almost completely mitigated the point of an analog stick. The game played better with the control-pad imo, and still not very well at all.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Blue_Gecko said:
picture1.jpg

this is creepy. very creepy

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I would literally eat my own shit if Link's Awakening 3DS remake was made.
god, do we really need that game released AGAIN?

and besides, it doesn't need a remake. it's totally repayable as it exists now.

now Metroid II on the other hand....

Rich!

RagnarokX said:
They remade Kirby's Adventure as Nightmare in Dreamland; I much prefer the original. Also, Spring Breeze in KSS is essentially a remake of the first Kirby game.

So then, Spring Breeze in Super Star Ultra is a remake of a remake. :lol

Scrow said:
god, do we really need that game released AGAIN?

and besides, it doesn't need a remake. it's totally repayable as it exists now.

now Metroid II on the other hand....

Read again. Remade - as in a fully fledged 3D version of Link's Awakening in the same vein as Ocarina of Time.

Now, you would buy that. Everyone would.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They've still got a few months to go, so I'm hoping they try and redo the music. It would be a shame if they didn't update the soundtrack with better MIDI samples, at least.

Rich!

Ushojax said:
They've still got a few months to go, so I'm hoping they try and redo the music. It would be a shame if they didn't update the soundtrack with better MIDI samples, at least.

I really doubt they will, going by previous examples. And from what I could hear in the short video clip released today, the sound effects are the same.

richisawesome said:
I really doubt they will, going by previous examples. And from what I could hear in the short video clip released today, the sound effects are the same.

Going by previous examples, they'll make the music worse :lol

Rich!

redbarchetta said:
Going by previous examples, they'll make the music worse :lol

Yeah. But to be fair, on the GBA it was due to compression. However, the music in Kirby Super Star Ultra was missing a few slide effects and etc that were in the original SNES soundtrack...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
richisawesome said:

This would be shockingly lazy, even for Nintendo. We are still 5 months from release, Galaxy 2 had crude MIDI music for it's early demos but that was improved a few months before release. If they aren't improving things like that I have to question what the fuck they are doing. It's not like they have to bother with scenario and level design.

richisawesome said:
Yeah. But to be fair, on the GBA it was due to compression.

While it's true this deals mostly with the GBA (though the GBC completely botched the music in my beloved Crystalis), I'm pretty sure it was more due to the lack of a dedicated sound chip than it was compression--the GBA's carts could easily hold as much memory as the SNES's.

Rich!

redbarchetta said:
While it's true this deals mostly with the GBA (though the GBC completely botched the music in my beloved Crystalis), I'm pretty sure it was more due to the lack of a dedicated sound chip than it was compression--the GBA's carts could easily hold as much memory as the SNES's.

No SPC700 chip in the GBA meant that the sound had to be handed using the processor and ram. Therefore, the samples had to be compressed.

It was nothing to do with the amount of storage on the carts themselves.

richisawesome said:
No SPC700 chip in the GBA meant that the sound had to be handed using the processor and ram. Therefore, the samples had to be compressed.

Which is basically what I said. I didn't realize compression was involved though; I thought it was due to the GBA's chip being incapable of reproducing those sounds in a real-time environment, thus the songs were simplified. Plus we're dealing with Midis, not MP3s, why would they be compressed?

Rich!

redbarchetta said:
Which is basically what I said. I didn't realize compression was involved though; I thought it was due to the GBA's chip being incapable of reproducing those sounds in a real-time environment, thus the songs were simplified. Plus we're dealing with Midis, not MP3s, why would they be compressed?

Argh.

Think of it this way - what is MIDI? It's a series of notes. Thats it. It's like a notepad document - no sound is generated by the MIDI file, it simply tells the soundcard what to play and when.

The SPC format and the GBA sound format work similar to this - all the notation is stored as hex in the ROM, and then the game calls on it - when this happens in the SNES, the SPC700 reads this information and then loads sound samples in the ROM for the instruments. The SPC700 was very versatile in terms of sample size and channels (8 of them).

With the GBA, there was no dedicated sound chip. Therefore, all the tasks the SPC700 would do on the SNES had to be handled through the GBA's processor and ram - which were limited to say the least as well as being used for the game at the same time. The GBA was not able to handle the higher quality instrument/sound samples that the SNES would, so instrument/sound samples had to be compressed horribly (as in the independent WAV/RAW files, not the entire track). When the GBA sequences a track together, it uses these much lower quality sound samples and the result is a lower quality audio track.

Understand a bit better now?

Aeana

The GBA essentially has the 4 sound channels offered by the GBC, and two more wave channels which can play 8-bit PCM wave data. So in order to play more than two wave sounds (something almost every GBA game does), the GBA's processor has to mix sounds together. The sound quality of the GBA is limited both by the quality that the system can replay (8-bit PCM) and the fact that the processor has to do the mixing.

Damn.. I do not want to buy a 3DS. I do not want to buy a 3DS. Jesus christ.. OOT and MGS3? Fuck me. making me interested just with ports. fuck you Nintendo! you trolling bastards. Put Halo 1 on 3DS and the circle is complete. Not that I could imagine Halo working with 3DS. I can't imagine Halo in 3D in fact.

richisawesome said:
Argh.

[snip]

Understand a bit better now?

I do, but there's no need for you to get aggravated. I know how Midis work; my mistake was confusing instrument samples with entire tracks (I never really thought of down-sampling as compression before).

GDGF

Soothsayer
I just beat this game for the upteenth time last night and I can't wait to play it again on the 3DS.

It'd be kind of cool if they let us name Epona this time (that was going to be in the original)

jett

D-Member
Dragona Akehi said:
I'm not excusing Nintendo here, but how often have they actually done proper remakes? I can only think of Zero Mission offhand as a recent one, and Mario All-Stars which was a very long time ago.

Oh Pokémon games, I suppose. But again, very few.

Not really Nintendo's fault, I just had the wrong impression I guess. At least it isn't a straight port, now that would be pretty awful. :p

Green Scar said:

SM64DS would have been playable with the thumbstrap if movement was based on where you moved your thumb from instead of where your thumb is.

Top Bottom