• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Conference - Ocarina of Time Spring 2011 - Song of Double Time in Effect

Edit: Mods, forgot "3D" in the title...addy would be nice :)

Courtesy of Nintendo's Japanese Conference page
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2010/3ds/software.html

title_4.gif

Release Date: Spring 2011 JPN (I still don't believe it)

img_4-1.jpg

EYE is Camera Control, A is ACTION (Roll, Open Door, later SHEATHE when he has his sword out). Colored tabs say map (center tab), but the left one's for equip and the right one for items. It's kind of similar to the original's menus, pressing L/R to change them. Cleaned up HUD, interface for inventory is strictly on bottom screen, looks like a hybrid of stylus and face button input.

img_4-2.jpg

Link has shoulder strap, not present in any in-game version (was in artwork).

img_4-3.jpg

Deku Shield is "thicker", strictly superficial, but doesn't look like a sprite anymore.

img_4-4.jpg

Video footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPCsFAmIxCM&feature=player_embedded

Thoughts: If this is true and it hits in Spring, I'm really wondering what's up with Skyward Sword's release date...

I hope this isn't delayed. Spring would be so perfect in timing with the 3DS's launch.

So this and Skyward Sword in around the same period!

Mind is officially blown!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they really updated a lot of world geometry... but the game looks a whole lot more colorful now, which I like.

Doesn't matter. Can't wait!

Why would you do that? said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they really updated a lot of world geometry... but the game looks a whole lot more colorful now, which I like.

Yea, it's mostly new models/textures and a better frame rate, and the new interface. Was kinda hoping to hear some music, but the "secret" chime was virtually identical in the clip, as were other sound effects.

TSA said:
Yea, it's mostly new models/textures and a better frame rate, and the new interface. Was kinda hoping to hear some music, but the "secret" chime was virtually identical in the clip, as were other sound effects.
I guess it would've taken too long to do a full remake built from the ground up for the 3DS. But I don't know, I kind of was expecting Twilight Princess level visuals.

I'm just excited about the new content Aunoma was talking about. He said that it's not a enhanced port but they're going to add some new stuff to it maybe even rearranged dungeons.

I just hope they put in a ton of new surprises.

Branduil

Graphics are a weird mix of N64 worlds with gamecube-level characters.

Would have liked to see more of an improvement but I guess they don't want to spend too much money on this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks so good. It doesn't matter how many times I've played Ocarina, this will be fuckin amazing. Give it to me now.

Rpgmonkey

For a second I thought A was the sword (blegh), but then I saw the sword in the "B" slot and remembered the roll attack.

Interface looks way better, and having easier access to a larger number of items is great. That plus a few other factors is good enough to guarantee a purchase for me.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I guess it would've taken too long to do a full remake built from the ground up for the 3DS. But I don't know, I kind of was expecting Twilight Princess level visuals.

I'm just excited about the new content Aunoma was talking about. He said that it's not a enhanced port but they're going to add some new stuff to it maybe even rearranged dungeons.

I just hope they put in a ton of new surprises.

Maybe they'll add in the 64DD content that was taken out? (and no, Master Quest did not have all of the 64DD content!)

Why would you do that? said:

I would have hoped for higher sample-rate audio and some minor geometry work to make things dungeon rooms look less boxy. The ground textures are still hideous as well.

Definite improvement in colour though and both the Hyrule Field shot and the shot with the unlit torch stand in the foreground will look gorgeous in 3d!

I hope they brought the camera and combat / targetting system up to date. I'm sure they have. I would like them to port Wind Waker too. If its possible.

If this is a spring release, I can't see Skyward Sword being released soon after. I'm guessing a fall launch for the important territories (NA, Japan).

I just thought of something... Maybe the 3DS will have a darker screen (like the GBA allegedly has), and that's the reason why the screens are as bright and colorful as they are...

radioheadrule83 said:
I would have hoped for higher sample-rate audio and some minor geometry work to make things dungeon rooms look less boxy.
I completely agree. There's still some hope for enhanced music and sound effects, as ompressed video isn't representative of a final game, but I'm a little sad that places like the Spirit Temple won't look that much better.

I agree that the environments could have been improved a little further, but it looks like there's a better draw distance and there's definitely more color. And the character models got a definite upgrade so, overall, I'm pretty happy. Plus, moving all that HUD junk to the bottom screen is a HUGE improvement. Could have put a little more effort into updating the visuals, but overall this looks like a pretty solid effort.

AniHawk

syoaran said:
I feel like I've now come full circle in a 15 year time warp

They need to do it just for maximum nostalgia purposes.

Jay-B said:
Not a big fan of Link's design.

Neither am I. Should've done a Skies of Arcadia type of look versus whatever the hell they did here.

SalsaShark said:
Really dudes ? that kid Link looks exactly like he should.

Mainly because it's the same Young Link as from Smash Bros. Melee, and of course Melee nailed the look of everything it borrowed.

TSA said:
looks like a hybrid of stylus and face button input.

Ugh. This is such a clunky way to play a game. The stylus should either be used all the time or not at all.

I really wish Nintendo has made it a capacitive screen so you could actually use your thumb/fingers without it feeling all shitty.

NeonZ

I don't like how they brought back the stupidly long ears from the artwork. The smaller, but still pointy ones of the original game looked much better.

It seems to be merely an improved version of the original too, rather than something rebuilt completely. I might still end up getting it if there are new dungeons or story though.

YourMaster

redbarchetta said:
Ugh. This is such a clunky way to play a game. The stylus should either be used all the time or not at all.

I really wish Nintendo has made it a capacitive screen so you could actually use your thumb/fingers without it feeling all shitty.

If they keep the stylus time down, and you can use your finger, it can be OK. If they do it like with pointer controls in twilight princes, I would be happy.

Regulus Tera said:
So how do you use the shield now?

Should be L & R, (for Z & R) unless those menu controls are permanent. edit: or did they mean the N64 menu?

Looks like two items can be assigned to the touch screen and two to X and Y, not too bad I suppose.

abstract alien said:
I wonder what the court yard will look like in this one...
Yea, or Castle Town, or any house.

They can't outright upscale it to a higher resolution or it will look like a blurry mess. I remember seeing somewhere that they might remake them into full 3D, which would be awesome.

Glass Joe

As much as I love OOT, I hope they change up more than the graphics (New bosses, new dungeons, etc.) I'll probably be picking it up either way, but I've beaten it so many times that I don't know if "nicer looking" is enough to excite me.

Jackano

GamerGeorge said:
I wonder if they'll include Master Quest?
98% no, 2% maybe.

Ok, I now think it can be finished soon enought for release at system launch. 3/4 months more for a remake is a lot of time. Plus, we did see this time a screenshot with the interface on the touch screen. Speaking of which, what the hell with those screenshots? Look at the A button HUD, it isn't even at the same size from one screenshot to another! And only the first screen has the touch screen menu!

And at the end, February 26 will be just 5 days after Zelda's 25th anniversary.

Regarding Europe and North America, I see OoT 3D like the perfect candidate that's going to be delayed to november 2011 in order to fully secure a great first holiday season for the 3DS.
So, for the moment, if you are not in the import thingy, I hope you can be patient. :)

Top Bottom