• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Fatal Frame IV won't hit Europe

Bad news for Europe gamers.. Nintendo has made an official statement about Fatal Frame IV (known as Project Zero IV here) in its last official magazine: "One time envisaged for a May release, the localization of the game has been cancelled and the game will stay as an Japanese exclusive game".

Rising Star Games, come on boys, you can do it !

[SOURCE]

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Y2Kev said:
WHAT THE FUCK YOU SHITTY COMPANY
What should they do if Tecmo won't fix the bugs? :\

But now that it's confirmed Nintendo won't touch it hopefully Ignition can look into picking it up.

wsippel

Banned
Second said:
RAGE POST

Pretty incompetent of them.

Now I'm never going to play FFIV. :(
Well, supposedly, Nintendo asked Tecmo to fix the game, Tecmo won't do it, Nintendo doesn't want to release a broken game -> localization canceled. Yeah, it sucks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jj984jj said:
What should they do if Tecmo won't fix the bugs? :\
I don't care, I can deal with bugs. Unless they are game breaking. But they did still put it out in Japan, so it can't be that bad.

This game, dating back to the original Japanese announcement, was viewed upon with such promise. What a fucking mess Nintendo has made of the situation.

dyls

From what we've heard, Nintendo wanted the controls and some bug issues worked out, and Tecmo balked. I think I'll just blame everyone in this situation, starting with whomever posts next.

Very disappointing, but it perhaps explains the ad that appeared and was promptly disowned.

There must be some issue going on behind the scenes with this one, and the bug issue sounds plausible. Just going to keep my fingers crossed that someone else will pick this up, bugs and all.

EDIT: My only hope is that this comes from ONM, notorious shitmeisters when it comes to confirmations of anything...

Balb

Based on the IGN Nintendo podcast, the game was broken in controls anyway, and Nintendo/Tecmo didn't feel like changing the controls for NA/EU releases.

RyanDG

wsippel said:
Well, supposedly, Nintendo asked Tecmo to fix the game, Tecmo won't do it, Nintendo doesn't want to release a broken game -> localization canceled. Yeah, it sucks.

I really don't think this is the case at all. I don't know where this rumor started, but it reaks of apologist bs. Especially when you consider that even some of Nintendo's own games have the same amount of 'bugs' as Fatal Frame IV and don't receive a fix.

Haunted

KevinCow said:
I didn't have any interest in this game, but it's the goddamn year 2009. Why are there still localization issues?
Worldwide simultaneous release defence force assemble!

wsippel said:

Didn't the Japanese version got a patch? or something?

And nintendo released Street Racing Syndicate on Europe with a game breaking bug.

KevinCow said:
I didn't have any interest in this game, but it's the goddamn year 2009. Why are there still localization issues?

I think this one may be more complicated than it appears. IIRC, it was a Tecmo production with (heavy?) Nintendo involvement. During the last phase of production, Tecmo ran slap-bang into the Itagaki et al lawsuits, then there were the merger talks with SE and the eventual merger with Koei. I suspect all of this upheaval and restructuring may have a bearing here as well.

Gagaman

KevinCow said:
Nintendo. They are still stuck in the stone age when it comes to localization.

Cosmozone

NOOOOOOO!

However, I haven't played the first three games yet, despite having bought them. But still, what an awful situation. I wanted to buy the fourth game, too.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Didn't the Japanese version got a patch? or something?

And nintendo released Street Racing Syndicate on Europe with a game breaking bug.

Yeah but this has Luigi and Samus costumes in it, it could hurt their IP's reputation!

Obviously it sounds like Tecmo didn't want to fix the bugs so Nintendo said ok we're not gonna bother releasing it then... that is fine.

But please then allow someone else to release it?

Majmun

I don't think bugs are the only reasons to shitbin this game in Europe.

Man, my most wanted Wii game in the gutter. :'''''(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have a theory, Nintendo is getting slammed by the economy and may only earn 8 billion during the fiscal
week
. How will the pay the sewer bill?!?!!

Think of the
Wii Fit Balance board fixing
costs!

Well, XSEED is making up for Nintendo's shortcoming in NA. We're getting Ju-On in October, and it looks way better than Fatal Frame IV. Maybe you'll get that in the EU.

Azure J

1000 rage posts incoming. Still though, this is complete bull on both sides of the deal. Tecmo gets flak for not ironing out those damn bugs that were brought to their attention and Nintendo for the "lol not pushin' it til Tecmo does something" train of thought. You'd think they could kinda "nudge" them into doing the bug fixes though...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Cosmonaut X said:
...and I'm sure you were there with the pitchforks and burning brands when SCEA were denying releases left, right and centre...
Like?

I don't know but he's right on the market leader deal. Read my last post.

bdouble

Obviously this is more Tecmo's. You guys realize this was in dev right when all the drama was going down in side their walls right? Nintendo probably picked up the Japanese publishing rights for next to nothing. It was ready to ship and in the right language.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I hope this just means Nintendo won't be publishing themselves and that someone else (Ignition?) can pick it up.

Near as I can tell, this was a result of Nintendo being unsatisfied with the way the game released in Japan (broken) and asking Tecmo to fix it for release in other regions. Release in America and Europe was planned, contingent on the game being fixed, but that never materialized.

Why? From what I have been told, Tecmo wasn't keen on doing it. They thought the game shipped fine, at least as far as controls were concerned, and they were preparing a large workload and a merger at the time. If Nintendo had paid them extra for what they considered extra work, they would have been fine with it. Instead, it all came from the initial budget Nintendo had for development. In other words, no one was going to give Tecmo extra money for work on the localizations, so they weren't going to do it.

I guess it comes down to whether or not Nintendo was okay with shipping the game as it was, which apparently they weren't. This is one of the situations where NCL did have a direct influence over the other companies with regard to localization. They basically said it wasn't going to be released in other countries in the state it was in and considered the Japanese release kind of an embarrassment.

Tecmo, for their part, seems kind of bitter about the whole thing. Just guesswork, but I think they feel they've been snubbed by promises of a better working relationship and lots of money from a very rich Nintendo. When Tecmo said it was in Nintendo's hands whether the game was coming here, they meant that if Nintendo insists on not giving them extra money or still being concerned about the state of the game, then nothing will happen.

Top Bottom