• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked by amiibo

jviggy43

you know, DLC was considered bad, but at least anyone can buy it, online, just one click... but with this crap amiibo DLC.. a) you have to find this stupid amiibo, and what if its sold out?! you will NEVER be able to play this DLC and b) even if its available you have to buy it and wait until it arrives..

amiibo DLC is the worst thing nintendo ever did in recent history.

900x.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So for people without the 3DS that scans Amiibo, they're shit out of luck or have to get a dongle as well as a physical fucking figure?

Worst practice in the entire industry, well done 'Ninty'.

tsab

Yeah, I am not upgrading to a New3DS (XL) nor I am buying the Amiibo dock thingy to use an Amiibo to unlock a difficulty setting.

Hype a little bit deflated

I don't support the move at all, at least if hard/fusion mode is dlc give people the option of paying $5-10 for it OR unlocking it with the amiibo

But if you've spent years crying for a new metroid and will now not buy this game because of an amiibo. A locked hard mode you likely wouldn't have played even if you could unlock it without amiibo/buy as dlc. If this is all it takes for metroid fans to "cancel their pre orders" then Metroid should have stayed dead and the fanbase deserves nothing but federation forces.

BigEmil

I'm ok with this, I'll just buy the amiibo, looked cool anyway.
It's not ok for all the people who don't want to buy that shit.

And it's not just any sort of shit locked behind amiibo but a hard mode??? Seriously? The shit that's been included in games for free for generations and now Nintendo found a way to charge for that lmao

PetrCobra

This amiibo craziness (not talking about this game only) wouldn't be so bad if they actually sold the amiibos for longer than two hours after launch.

I don't support the move at all, at least if hard/fusion mode is dlc give people the option of paying $5-10 for it OR unlocking it with the amiibo

But if you've spent years crying for a new metroid and will now not buy this game because of an amiibo. A locked hard mode you likely wouldn't have played even if you could unlock it without amiibo/buy as dlc. If this is all it takes for metroid fans to "cancel their pre orders" then Metroid should have stayed dead and the fanbase deserves nothing but federation forces.

I tend to agree with this.

Servbot24

Banned
you know, DLC was considered bad, but at least anyone can buy it, online, just one click... but with this crap amiibo DLC.. a) you have to find this stupid amiibo, and what if its sold out?! you will NEVER be able to play this DLC and b) even if its available you have to buy it and wait until it arrives..

amiibo DLC is the worst thing nintendo ever did in recent history.

Even if this were not physical DLC, just having to pay $12 for a hard mode is ridiculous. Especially when this is not even a completely new game, it's a remake.

Hard mode is so clearly something that should come standard with any game. I'm not paying for that.

Velcro Fly

I wonder if selling amiibo unlocks will become a thing in the future. Like take your collection to a con and for $2 you too can have Fusion mode in Samus Returns.

Resilient

all these reactions over a Hard Mode?

if you were hyped for this game at E3 when it was announced - when you didnt even know the Hard Mode existed - why would this deflate your hype? you were already fkn hyped for it, no?

loving the Lost My Sale Nintendo! *smug* posts .. keep them coming.

LewieP

You can do that? I thought saves were locked to the account and device with no way to transfer? I know I couldn't find a way to back up my Breath of tbe Wild save
JKSM is a 3ds homebrew app for backing up and restoring game saves.

This is shitty as fuck, and i don't defend them for that, it definitely should be included directly!

but i still prefere this than regular dlc, at least you really own something with the amiibo...

Phoenixus

This. Shitty move to be sure but it's no wonder the franchise was in purgatory for so long if this is enough to turn off the fanbase.

RPGam3r

It's not ok for all the people who don't want to buy that shit

I mean you either want it enough or you don't. Same for DLC except physical. The only argument I could see leveled against this versus DLC is that physical things are limited/take up space.

andymcc

Banned
This would be an easier pill to swallow if there was a nice SE with the amiibo packed in.

Fucking shit sucks tho. People should be using amiibo spoofers with zero shame over this kind of garbage.

I love how half the responses are about people defending this.
lol

There are more post like this criticizing the "defense force" then there are people defending this decision. Most of the posts that you could even attempt to spin as defensive are more "I was already getting the amiibo anyway" and most of them don't like the move on principal. You can criticize more people for being sheep who are bending over and saying "fuck gotta buy the amiibo now" then there are people actually defending the move. People defending this are the super minority of the thread.

BigEmil

if you were hyped for this game at E3 when it was announced - when you didnt even know the Hard Mode existed - why would this deflate your hype? you were already fkn hyped for it, no?

Loving the corporate fanboy damage controlling posts.. keep them coming.

If you don't see what's wrong for Nintendo to lock behind a feature behind a paywall that's been included in games for free since forever then I don't know what to tell you

Since I'm too much of a fan of Metroid I'm still getting the game but I'm pissed off I'm missing out on the hard mode smh I ain't supporting this shit

cbrun44

Dumb... but honestly no way in hell I'd choose to play this on very hard anyway. So doesn't really change anything for me. Still buying the game, not buying the Amiibo, and playing on normal.

RPGam3r

It's not ok for all the people who don't want to buy that shit.

And it's not just any sort of shit locked behind amiibo but a hard mode??? Seriously? The shit that's been included in games for free for generations and now Nintendo found a way to charge for that lmao

For you edit, you mean like Master Mode?

There are more post like this criticizing the "defense force" then there are people defending this decision. Most of the posts that you could even attempt to spin as defensive are more "I was already getting the amiibo anyway" and most of them don't like the move on principal. You can criticize more people for being sheep who are bending over and saying "fuck gotta buy the amiibo now" then there are people actually defending the move. People defending this are the super minority of the thread.

Let's be honest, the backlash at the "defense force" is justified, when a lot of people like Shiggy or me have been called out for not reading well or understanding what Nintendo meant.

Ms.Galaxy

Is this the regular hard mode or is there one and this is a 'very hard' mode instead?

Fusion Mode will be Hard Mode with the Fusion Suit (a suit that has worse defense than Samus' normal power armor), I can say that with 100% confidence. It's basically a very hard mode.

Plum

Amiibo are solutions looking for a problem and they're 100% Nintendo's worst idea of recent years. Shit like this is just ridiculous.

Yeah, Nintendo ain't gonna see Samus Returns failing and think "better change our Amiibo strategy," they're going to see it and think "nobody wants 2D Metroid anymore."

Amiibo are solutions looking for a problem and they're 100% Nintendo's worst idea of recent years. Shit like this is just ridiculous.

Yeah, Nintendo ain't gonna see Samus Returns failing and think "better change our Amiibo strategy," they're going to see it and think "nobody wants 2D Metroid anymore."

Good. I don't want 2D Metroid in these conditions.

Yeah, even at its worst, it wasn't nearly half of all posters.

But even one person outright running defense for nintendo here is too much. Even one person trying to spin this is completely asinine and sad

yuoke

Banned
I can't defend it at all. I can only.be depressed that this of all things could potentially kill off the series again before it even gets a chance to come back with people boycotting the game.

RRockman

Banned
This is shitty as fuck, and i don't defend them for that, it definitely should be included directly!

but i still prefere this than regular dlc, at least you really own something with the amiibo...

I respect your viewpoint but expect a lot of mindlessly calling nintendo shill coming your way.

It's indeed stupid. Not buying the game means you are not interested in the game. Not buying the amiibo means you aren't interested in the amiibo or its unlocks.

But people won't pick up on the fact that nintendo will notice if there is a dearth of amiibo sales on average when comparing this franchise with the others and will most likely think that "we should do something else for this franchise." It looks like many people here will instead be all "NINTEMDOY SUCKS" and not but the game which would probably make nintendo think that well, "maybe 2d metroid sucks and we shouldn't make anymore".

Velcro Fly

I still can't believe it is required. Maybe make it so scanning it unlocks it from the start but make it earnable by beating the game. Huge blunder I feel and I have about 75 or 80 amiibo sitting in my room.

Top Bottom