• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked by amiibo

Loving the corporate fanboy damage controlling posts.. keep them coming.

If you don't see what's wrong for Nintendo to lock behind a feature behind a paywall that's been included in games for free since forever then I don't know what to tell you

Since I'm too much of a fan of Metroid I'm still getting the game but I'm pissed off I'm missing out on the hard mode smh I ain't supporting this shit

How many metroid games included a hard mode that changed up the mechanics of how the game played? How many Metroid games included a hard mode period? How many of those metroid games that had a hard mode did you actually replay on hard mode?

TrueBlue

Amiibos really should just be collectable figurines. It's the main reason I buy them - the main reason I preordered the Samus one a few weeks back.

Locking significant content behind them is a mistake - especially considerimg how hard they can be to find.

cj_iwakura

What’s the difference between that and offering it only as paid DLC? Amiibos, especially these Metroid ones, are awesome.
That something as standard as hard mode should be included for free?
Imagine if Ys started pulling this shit with Nightmare mode.

J@hranimo

Banned
Gotta make more money on a franchise that already doesn't make much on its own it seems.

Now one would say "Do you want the Metroid series to die again?!" But since we know Metroid Prime 4 is in development it seems alright to vote with your wallet here.

Junahu

As an Amiibo collector, this affects me.... more than most. I don't open Amiibo, so even after spending the money I don't get to play the mode.

I'm actually generally okay with Amiibo unlocks as a concept, provided that any Amiibo from the relevent series can be used to unlock everything.
What I absolutely hate is how every new game has a new Amiibo that you just NEED to get. Why can't I use a generic Smash Samus to unlock Hard Mode? Why are there literally ELEVEN unique types of Link Amiibo that all do different stuff in BotW?

Servbot24

Banned
Gotta make more money on a franchise that already doesn't make much on its own it seems.

Now one would say "Do you want the Metroid series to die again?!" But since we know Metroid Prime 4 is in development it seems alright to vote with your wallet here.

It's always ok to vote with your wallet. You should never let a corporation hold you hostage.

Ms.Galaxy

Amiibo are solutions looking for a problem and they're 100% Nintendo's worst idea of recent years. Shit like this is just ridiculous.

Yeah, Nintendo ain't gonna see Samus Returns failing and think "better change our Amiibo strategy," they're going to see it and think "nobody wants 2D Metroid anymore."

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I'd rather the series remain dead than turn into a money draining metroid itself. I refuse to accept locking content that has previously been post game unlocks in the series behind a 30 dollar, bundled only, limited physical object that takes up space and I have no desire to have on my shelf.

At the very least, give it to me as actual DLC, because I'm honestly not going to be able to find those amiibos.

mrmickfran

I understand the whole idea that it's ridiculous to boycott the game because of shit like this.

But at the same time, I can't support this kind of practice. I love Metroid, I'm glad to see it return, but this Amiibo shit is poison.

jviggy43

This. Shitty move to be sure but it's no wonder the franchise was in purgatory for so long if this is enough to turn off the fanbase.

I keep seeing this rationale being used in these threads. You are awar that just because you like something doesn't mean you have to support it if its employing shitty business practices right? Like thats quite distinct from the actual game.

Me too lol

It really sucks.

Wait, this wont work with older 3ds models?

RPGam3r

I understand the whole idea that it's ridiculous to boycott the game because of shit like this.

But at the same time, I can't support this kind of practice. I love Metroid, I'm glad to see it return, but this Amiibo shit is poison.

Buy the game and not the amiibo, albeit your message will not be heard bc the amiibo will surely sell out entirely.

Didn't Nintendo do the same thing with Metroid Fusion and the using the suit in Prime 1?

I actually owned both games and still couldn't access the content, because I owned a GB player rather than a GBA.

Chobel

I don't support the move at all, at least if hard/fusion mode is dlc give people the option of paying $5-10 for it OR unlocking it with the amiibo

But if you've spent years crying for a new metroid and will now not buy this game because of an amiibo. A locked hard mode you likely wouldn't have played even if you could unlock it without amiibo/buy as dlc. If this is all it takes for metroid fans to "cancel their pre orders" then Metroid should have stayed dead and the fanbase deserves nothing but federation forces.

Great, "You're not a true fan..." bullshit arguments. Gotta defend Nintendo, right?

yuoke

Banned

Except it doesnt seem alright. For one thing, I don't want this game to flop if its otherwise great. I want more 2d metroid, and this fails, nintendo will only see that it flopped due to lack of interest in the series.

BOYCOTTING WON'T STOP AMIIBOS

I don't know how people don't get this or think boycotting will change the amiibo situation at all. All you are doing is helping to stop metroid.

RRockman

Banned
Amiibo are solutions looking for a problem and they're 100% Nintendo's worst idea of recent years. Shit like this is just ridiculous.

Yeah, Nintendo ain't gonna see Samus Returns failing and think "better change our Amiibo strategy," they're going to see it and think "nobody wants 2D Metroid anymore."

That's why people SHOULD buy the game but then NOT buy the amiibo. If the game sells well and the Amiibo don't that would send a clear message.

Ms.Galaxy

Didn't Nintendo do the same thing with Metroid Fusion and the using the suit in Prime 1?

I actually owned both games and still couldn't access the content, because I owned a GB player rather than a GBA.

Yes and no. It just gave you the Fusion Suit. It didn't change the gameplay for Prime at all. It also gave you the ability to play Metroid NES.

TheMoon

What's the fusion mode?

A Metroid Fusion-themed (you wear the Fusion Suit) spin on hard mode. But they haven't said if it's an additional hard mode or the only hard mode in the game.

Then don't buy the amiibo and enjoy the game as-is. Best of both worlds.

That's an actual message worth sending. "People buy the game, but they don't buy the figure." More so than "people don't buy Metroid-anything, I guess we shouldn't bother."

Lol "you should be thankful".

Fuck no, they are not doing people a "favor".

Great, "You're not a true fan..." bullshit arguments. Gotta defend Nintendo, right?

So you'd rather samus returns not have been made at all over it being made with a shitty physical dlc included? A francise that has had multiple underperforming games, that hasn't had a 2d entry in over a decade, that is being praised by early impressions for how great of a remake it is, but yeah fuck this game it deserves to bomb for physical dlc.

I'm not telling you to spend your money on this game if you think this practice breaks the camels back for you, but you can't then turn around and say "why isn't Nintendo making more metroid games" if it underperforms.

Samaritan

It gets only shittier when you realize the game is a 3DS game but only the New 3DS has NFC support. Goddammit Nintendo, why are you like this?

mrmickfran

Holy fuck there really is a defense force for everything.
Nintendo has the most rabid defense force.
Buy the game and not the amiibo, albeit your message will not be heard bc the amiibo will surely sell out entirely.
Yeah, I plan on buying it, but I want to try hard mode myself.

In Prime, it was just a Fusion suit, not an entire difficulty mode. I guess that's why there wasn't an outcry back then.

OCD Guy

There is a very simple solution to this.

Simply make any dlc available to buy on the eShop. That would surely result in more money for Nintendo right?

The argument will be that it devalues the Amiibo, but I personally think most people who buy amiibo, buy it for the figurine itself as a collectors item.....

The funny thing is the die hard fans were saying that having exclusive dlc tied to amiibos was ok as it was only cosmetic, which is false anyway as there have been single player levels tied to amiibo before.

My worry is that this shit is going to get worse.....

yuoke

Banned
It's always ok to vote with your wallet. You should never let a corporation hold you hostage.
Vote with your wallet by boycotting amiibo, not by not buying the game. Not buying the game won't send the message abouy amiibos. It will tell nintendo you don't want more metroid. Is it that hard to understand?

RPGam3r

Except it doesnt seem alright. For one thing, I don't want this game to flop if its otherwise great. I want more 2d metroid, and this fails, nintendo will only see that it flopped due to lack of interest in the series.

BOYCOTTING WON'T STOP AMIIBOS

I don't know how people don't get this or think boycotting will change the amiibo situation at all. All you are doing is helping to stop metroid.

Agreed, it's delusional to think not buying this game will affect amiibo.

oti

Banned
I can't defend it at all. I can only.be depressed that this of all things could potentially kill off the series again before it even gets a chance to come back with people boycotting the game.

That's a bit overly dramatic I think.

So you'd rather samus returns not have been made at all over it being made with a shitty physical dlc included? A francise that has had multiple underperforming games, that hasn't had a 2d entry in over a decade, that is being praised by early impressions for how great of a remake it is, but yeah fuck this game it deserves to bomb for physical dlc.

Why are those the only two options? I'd rather this game exist without scummy business practices.

To be clear, I agree that people should buy the game (if they're interested in it) but not the amiibos.

Narroo

How many metroid games included a hard mode that changed up the mechanics of how the game played? How many Metroid games included a hard mode period? How many of those metroid games that had a hard mode did you actually replay on hard mode?

Out of the 2D ones, Fusion and 0-Mission did. Fusion was Japan only, while 0-Mission I did bet on Hard Mode. Could've used some improvement, but it was nice.

Linkark07

Banned
All I can say is: fuck you Nintendo. No, really, fuck you.

Not even locking hard mode behind a dlc (which flawed, could have been accepted), but locking it behind amiibos.

If it wasn't because I love Metroid and I want it back to being relevant, I would skip this game.

Not a good idea.

I only collect the Smash Amiibo anyway, not getting into this shit.

*Looks at posts up to this one*

Do you see people defending Nintendo in your head? o_O

Eh I missed the point. I wanted to point out how many posters already complained about an incoming defense force.

My bad.

Eumi

I'm amazed so many people are seeing fans not want to buy this game and, instead of getting mad at Nintendo making a product that consumers don't want to buy, they get mad at the consumers who don't want to buy a product.

That's some level of either delusion or corporate fanboyism I hadn't expected to see.

Where were you guys when they locked a cool mechanic in Mario Maker behind that 30th anniversary amiibo?

It gets only shittier when you realize the game is a 3DS game but only the New 3DS has NFC support. Goddammit Nintendo, why are you like this?

Christ, so I couldn't play that mode even if I wanted to.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What’s the difference between that and offering it only as paid DLC? Amiibos, especially these Metroid ones, are awesome.

Difficulty modes should be a natural part of the game's package. Not something you leave out so you can charge extra for it.

RPGam3r

Nintendo has the most rabid defense force.

Yeah, I plan on buying it, but I want to try hard mode myself.

In Prime, it was just a Fusion suit, not an entire difficulty mode. I guess that's why there wasn't an outcry back then.
I hear you, hope Nintendo offers up a DLC for those who didnt/couldn't get the amiibo.

yuoke

Banned
I'm amazed so many people are seeing fans not want to buy this game and, instead of getting mad at Nintendo making a product that consumers don't want to buy, they get mad at the consumers who don't want to buy a product.

That's some level of either delusion or corporate fanboyism I hadn't expected to see.
How is it delusional? It's only delusional to think boycotting the game will send the message to nintendo that people don't want amiibos. It will tell nintendo people don't want more metroid.

Top Bottom