• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Confirms Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Japanese Version is Based on Western Version and Features Changes

Wow you guys weren't kidding when you said this was heavily censored. Wtf Nintendo literally just released a game where you are a professor who either tries to murder or bang everyone in the game, I think we can stomach a little cleavage without losing our minds.
The only hope we have is that the censor-heavy NoA in the Wii U days has changed. And this is just a cheap hackjob port.

There hasn't been much censorship from them on the Switch so far. But it's still always a risk with Nintendo of America.

Why must the Japanese suffer the same censorship torment I was forced to? Me, the real life Barry Goodman!!!???

For some reason it bothers me that other people in a different country also have to play the censored version I played...

Despite not being all it could be because of the censorship, the game was still great. It had beautiful art direction, likable characters with some really memorable story moments, and a great combat system. If you like Persona but feel like it's all getting a bit ridiculous and overblown, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a bit like Persona Lite.

But just remember that dialogue, costumes, story scenes, even the form of the human body were all changed to appease nasty people over here, whose authority and control over gaming only comes from their vicious campaigning against anything that doesn't adhere to progressive orthodoxy, and the cowardice of developers/companies who get harassed by them. Short version: Muh anime tiddies!!

ranmafan

Japanese gamers are not happy.

And I’m not surprised at all. I’ve been saying it since the original trailer hinted it. the fans for this game here in Japan really loved it, and they are not going to like what was done to it. I think it’s really a shit move that Nintendo waited to tell gamers in Japan this until now officially, especially since you can already preorder the game on the Nintendo store. And I see many are complaining about that in that link specifically. And watch Nintendo will probably just say this is all a feature of the “encore” aspect of the game to get away with it.

Once more of the fans hear the news over here, I expect most of them will be quite unhappy. It’s a complete shame. By this confirmation from Nintendo it has turned for me the best gaming news of the year into the worst nightmare. Damn I’m not happy at all at this news.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Way to shoot themselves in the foot after having the opportunity to bring the true version to America. Japanese gamers, once they hear about this, are NOT going to purchase Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Its not like being in the West where you can be a puritan asshole. In Japanese culture such actions demand immediate sudoku. Atlus, publicly apologize and decensor the game, or your tokyo mirage sales will be a mirage unto themselves.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Japanese gamers are not happy.

i hate to say it to Nintendo... but is time to boicot and bring a uncensored version of the game.

Oh wow, I didn't see this topic till now.

I have no words. This is absolutely dumb. Whoever decided this needs to be fired.

I hope the japanese kick up a lot of stink over this, I also hope that no one buys this.

Oh wow, I didn't see this topic till now.

I have no words. This is absolutely dumb. Whoever decided this needs to be fired.

I hope the japanese kick up a lot of stink over this, I also hope that no one buys this.
If the game fails to sell in Japan and worldwide, hopefully that will finally send a clear message to Nintendo that 1st party censorship is just as not okay as forcing 3rd party devs to censor their games.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If the game fails to sell in Japan and worldwide, hopefully that will finally send a clear message to Nintendo that 1st party censorship is just as not okay as forcing 3rd party devs to censor their games.
It is a quick cash in port. I'm sure whatever they get will be a profit either way.

Pallas

Doug Bowser has been hanging around Jim Ryan a bit it seems.

It was a:

- Niche game
- Aimed at weirdos
- Released on the WiiU
- Very late into the WiiU's life, if you can call it that
- That wasn't marketed, like... at all
- And the messaging about what the game even was was confusing from the start

That's why it didn't sell. Not because your plucky high school heroes were dressed a little less like jailbait.

Jy9xMAk.gif

Way to shoot themselves in the foot after having the opportunity to bring the true version to America. Japanese gamers, once they hear about this, are NOT going to purchase Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Its not like being in the West where you can be a puritan asshole. In Japanese culture such actions demand immediate sudoku. Atlus, publicly apologize and decensor the game, or your tokyo mirage sales will be a mirage unto themselves.

Somebody do the whole "shot in the foot" bit properly please!

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
They changed a dungeon dealing with one of the character's reservations and issues with doing sexy gravure photos and changed it to her having a problem wearing hip street clothing. That's actual theme and character work being flushed down the toilet.
Wow! That's fucking bullshit!

Artistic integrity much?!

It is a quick cash in port. I'm sure whatever they get will be a profit either way.
Either way, they're not any of my money. Spending my cash on Dragon Quest XI S instead.

May as well just go full burqa at that point. Why waste processing on rendering her face and hair when just an eyeslit works as well?
You joke, but time and resources were wasted in censoring skin and hip bones, and outright changing outfits. All that to appease an audience that does not even exist.

Aaaaand that's a pass from me. Always been into SMT, and 3 houses finally got me on the FE train, but I'm not supporting this choice. There's localization, and then there's censorship. This is clearly the later, and I refuse to support it. Not to mention having that censorship double back on the original audience is even more reprehensible.

Sakura

They changed a dungeon dealing with one of the character's reservations and issues with doing sexy gravure photos and changed it to her having a problem wearing hip street clothing. That's actual theme and character work being flushed down the toilet.
Is that seriously what they changed it to? What in the fuck
How is the Japanese release of this game going to be handled then? Are they going to redub the game and rewrite the scenes in Japanese?

kunonabi

Is that seriously what they changed it to? What in the fuck
How is the Japanese release of this game going to be handled then? Are they going to redub the game and rewrite the scenes in Japanese?

They already did that already for the western Wii U release actually. They didnt do an English dub but they actually brought back the Japanese actors to record new dialogue to match the alterations.

Sakura

They already did that already for the western Wii U release actually. They didnt do an English dub but they actually brought back the Japanese actors to record new dialogue to match the alterations.
Really?!
This fucking blows my mind that they would go this far. I woulda figured they'd just leave the dub as is, as people probably wouldn't understand anyway. But I guess this means they don't have to redub then.

ranmafan

Really?!
This fucking blows my mind that they would go this far. I woulda figured they'd just leave the dub as is, as people probably wouldn't understand anyway. But I guess this means they don't have to redub then.

yeah all the work was already done for the original western release. I have a feeling that Nintendo will spin all this in Japan as it being all “new content” for the“encore” experience. However the fans won’t accept that excuse and are already quite angry about it, especially the whole switching pictures and confirming this almost two months after online preorders started on the eshop.

This really blows. This release gave us a slight chance that maybe had it been successful maybe we would’ve gotten that sequel they talked about wanting to do at the concert years back if things had worked out. But by pissing off the fans, it’s going to be a real backlash.

Why did this have to happen to one of my all time favorite games? So frustrating.

Sakura

yeah all the work was already done for the original western release. I have a feeling that Nintendo will spin all this in Japan as it being all “new content” for the“encore” experience. However the fans won’t accept that excuse and are already quite angry about it, especially the whole switching pictures and confirming this almost two months after online preorders started on the eshop.

This really blows. This release gave us a slight chance that maybe had it been successful maybe we would’ve gotten that sequel they talked about wanting to do at the concert years back if things had worked out. But by pissing off the fans, it’s going to be a real backlash.

Why did this have to happen to one of my all time favorite games? So frustrating.
Honestly it still might sell better than the original simply by being on the Switch.

ranmafan

Honestly it still might sell better than the original simply by being on the Switch.

it could, provided that Nintendo actually puts more effort into advertising it this time. Still the damage has been done and pissing off the fan base you already have is never a good sign. Especially in Japan, the fans for these games don’t forgive too easily.

worst part about all this, Japan is being forced to have the worst version when everyone that wanted this game around the world wanted the Japanese version and not the western one. It’s a stupid decision.

MagnesG

Banned
I have no further comments other than being disappointed. This particular case is rather strange, compared to other controversial Nintendo titles. Why the hell does original Japanese version got scrapped altogether?

Though I'm still not willing for this game to buried like this.

ranmafan

I have no further comments other than being disappointed. This particular case is rather strange, compared to other controversial Nintendo titles. Why the hell does original Japanese version got scrapped altogether?

No one knows for sure, but my guess is that since this release will be multilanguage having the Japanese and english (and other languages) on the same release, it was probably easier to prepare one version to sale everywhere. And so they didn’t have to run into any problems (which I still don’t know what problems could be as none of the cut or altered content is bad in any way) they just began work on the western version as the base, like they said.

but I agree, I dont want to see this series buried either, but I also don’t want to see such unnecessary changes . It’s a shame they won’t release the original version, or at least have seperate releases like xenoblade 2. At least that way both could get releases.

in the end we all lose. And it’s sad this is happening to a gem of a game like #FE.

It looks like it's a matter of saving money. Apparently modified Japanese voice lines were created for the original censored release, so they're using that as a basis instead of modifying the original version. Probably a case of not wanting to waste resources on a rerelease of a game that didn't sell well initially. Its backwards logic that essentially dooms this release to fail too, but it looks like it's the rationale.

I youtubed the wii u version and was planning to get this on switch but guess I won't anymore. I hope no one buys it. The wii u version is very cheap (a rarity for both atlus and nintendo) and I believe you could play it on emulator as well so you can make your own remaster.

I recommend you buy the wii u Jp version online to show what you think if you were planning to get this.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Ah that makes sense, I guess this is Nintendo being cheap, and it's probably the easiest possible solution anyway in order to release this worldwide.

Still planning to buy this because sadly this is still gonna be the ultimate version people would refer to, and I'm positive there would be efforts from on a lot of people on the modding communities to release an uncensored patch later down the line.

Lord Thunderbear

Neo Member
Given that people preordered the japanese version on what ended up being false advertising, they couldn't do otherwise, if they wanted to avoid further issues.

ranmafan

Given that people preordered the japanese version on what ended up being false advertising, they couldn't do otherwise, if they wanted to avoid further issues.
Exactly. This was a gigantic screw up and fans here aren’t happy about it. I’m glad they are doing the refunds but the problem still remains. What should’ve been a wonderful release will have less impact now

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2019/1018.html

Nintendo of Japan has responded regarding the situation. They will offer refunds to people who preordered the game on the eshop since they did not properly inform gamers in Japan about the changes in the game.

i bet Nintendo of Japan has gotten a lot of heat from fans about this considering this quick responce
Dang that was quick! How many e-mails and phone calls did they get to react that quickly?

cireza

Banned
There is one single reason to every Nintendo decision, and it is a simple one : greed. Pretty sure it applies here.

As a reminder, you can uncensor the Wii U version with a hacked Wii U.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Dang that was quick! How many e-mails and phone calls did they get to react that quickly?

I would guess quite a lot. I cant remember last when Nintendo responded this quickly to a situation like this. But like I said, #FE may not have been a huge seller originally, but it had a very loyal fanbase here in Japan who was very happy to hear it was coming back. This news was a huge kick in the stomach to them, and considering they were selling it already on the eshop, they had to do something fast.

Reeee era thread about the refunds is disgusting, with majority welcoming this censorship, lmao.

Just took a look and they are downplaying the changes as "a minor story edit, changing evil sexy costumes, and removing optional DLC".

Just the "minor story edit" is bullshit. Imagine if P4 ever got on Switch and NoA demanded they change Rise's (or, hell, Kanji's) dungeon. Can't have underage characters pole-dancing or, well, dreaming about pole-dancing, after all.

Or maybe they would go full retard and change Naoto's arc and dungeon as well to twist her narrative into her being trans.

Regardless of why Nintendo decided to go with the Western version of the game, I am actually surprised they opened pre-orders in Japan, without providing specifics on the release. The situation makes me wonder, whether the executives calling the shots were initially aware of the extent to which the game was altered for the Western market.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Nintendo now markets this game in Japan, especially how much focus they give to the Western changes.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Well if the Western version was the code base the game's development team provided to Nintendo, not much they can do about it.

theclaw135

Banned
They knew what they were doing when they kept quite about it.

I'll give you that.

Even if the original editing of the game was neither done or ordered by Nintendo... they permitted the game's release on Wii U in the west in this state, and hid it for the Switch port as long as they could.

I’m not particularly concerned with them censoring scantily clad underage anime girls. You’re a fucking weirdo if that kind of thing is what determines your purchase.

Paracelsus

I’m not particularly concerned with them censoring scantily clad underage anime girls. You’re a fucking weirdo if that kind of thing is what determines your purchase.

"We can censor whatever we want, we will just shame the audience into submission later".

Not supporting and feeding with your money the morons who want stuff censored for no valid reason, is a good reason to boycott. Now that they got it censored, they can support it themselves. If they won't, then that's unfortunate. Basically "if it's such a minuscule change that I shouldn't be bothered by it, why bother changing it to begin with?"

You can't have the cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why the fuck would you even play this game if you think this way in the first place? The game is idol smt more than anything. Is it the SMT angle? I myself don't particularly like idol stuff myself but I can't enable a company doing this kind of shit either.

"We can censor whatever we want, we will just shame the audience into submission later".

Not supporting and feeding with your money the morons who want stuff censored for no valid reason, is a good reason to boycott. Now that they got it censored, they can support it themselves. If they won't, then that's unfortunate. Basically "if it's such a minuscule change that I shouldn't be bothered by it, why bother changing it to begin with?"

You can't have the cake and eat it too.

I don’t want to see underdressed underaged girls. That’s not “cake” - that’s repulsive.

Senhua

I means if you want to fund and develop a game about Japanese idols industry, embrace it . If you're going to decide to to take an cynical look at the industry and convey a darker message of it which involved partial nudity, suggestive themes then go for it. And don't backpedal and wonder why you even did that in the first place.

For me it's seems NCL and Atlus seem ashamed of what they themselves created. They shouldn't have even gone with that subject matter in the first place I think.

Top Bottom