• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo decides to charge $25 (via an Amiibo) for a QoL feature in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Such as, for example, the game being perfectly playable without the feature?

Or, for example, the possible idea that the non-essential extra feature for the game is being used as an incentive to make the expensive figurine a more justifiable purchase for people? Like literally every other Amiibo function is.
It is shit. I am looking forward to the game and while I don't recall the annoyance of flying back, I am fucking pissed that they would add a feature like this period. Even if I had the fucking Amiibo, why would I have to use a toy to do something that should be in a menu? It's a terrible idea all around.

They built this new feature into an 11 year old game they are charging full price for. Put it in the game and don't be cunts Nintendo. There is no fucking excuse or justification. Who ever came up with this plan needs to see what people think of his pathetic idea.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Nice, I played it originally on the Wii. I thought the game was fun enough and while the motion controls were interesting for a bit eventually I just wished I could use a controller.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s a very small qol as the areas and sky isn’t that big. I don’t ever remember that being a problem when I played through on the wiiu.
The biggest issues were the motion controls .. trying to roll a bomb while sitting .. ugh

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nice, I played it originally on the Wii. I thought the game was fun enough and while the motion controls were interesting for a bit eventually I just wished I could use a controller.
i have that with metroid prime 1&2 (wii or wii u)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I mean, if you're buying SS at $50, you already have far more money than sense. Might as well go the whole hog.

Marvel14

Banned
Like other cult following products, the users will come up with mental gymnastics to justify this.
This user finds no viable justification. This is a bad move by Nintendo, unless there is also a way to unlock the same ability by playing the game. Then it's fine.

mcjmetroid

I love how upset people are lol.

It's more than tedious to pick out your amiibo, scan back and forth from the menus whenever you want to teleport or teleport back. There are even tons of statues for fast travel already, you have to be so retarded or mentally disabled that you needed one to finish out the game.
You love that people are upset that Nintendo locking a QOL feature behind a paywall?
You might not think it's a massive issue and it isn't... but it's still woth discussing instead of being downplayed which is what you're trying to do.

QOL in remasters are features the players never needed to finish the game originally.. obviously.
Remasters usually come from critically acclaimed games so they survived back in the day without these features.

HOWEVER

Skyward sword is a plodding mess of a game.. it was considered this by fans back in the day and it's a game from 2011 so a ten year old gamer needs a lot of QOL improvements.

I have 0 problem with Nintendo locking a costume or something cosmetic like that behind an amibo but a feature that can actually enhance the game?
Not a chance.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I mean, if you're buying SS at $50, you already have far more money than sense. Might as well go the whole hog.

I thought it was 60, but even if it was zero, how the fuck would spending 50 bucks on a game mean you have far more money than sense? It costs more than 50 bucks to take the family to a movie.

I get that money is harder to come by when you are young and don't yet have a career, but painting this as something only rich people would buy is bonkers.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I thought it was 60, but even if it was zero, how the fuck would spending 50 bucks on a game mean you have far more money than sense? It costs more than 50 bucks to take the family to a movie.

I get that money is harder to come by when you are young and don't yet have a career, but painting this as something only rich people would buy is bonkers.

It's literally just a comment on this game, no need to pretend people are young and out of work because they don't throw money at Nintendo for insanely overpriced ports of really average games. For not much more than 60 bucks you could probably find an actual Wii and the game.

I never said rich, having tons of money doesn't inherently mean you're spending it wisely.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

One of the most rage inducing games I've ever played.
The Amibo should emit some kind of calming incense while you work yourself up into a sweaty fever, trying to get the motion controls to execute a flawless horizontal slash.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Corporate apologism with a pinch of aggression towards people that do not fall in line ;). Nice…
I'm saying that to people that fall in line with BS outrage. Wow I'm soo mad.

I'll be mad too if this is the extra hard mode situation being locked behind Amiibo in Samus Returns, but this feature is as tedious as it could be. Like I said, people who are really desperate for just that "QoL" feature are just retards in some way.

I bet even people who bought the amiibo just because won't even use it ironically. Stay mad though.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
This and the amiibo at 85 is still more value for money than Returnal at 70

mcjmetroid

I'm saying that to people that fall in line with BS outrage. Wow I'm soo mad.

I'll be mad too if this is the extra hard mode situation being locked behind Amiibo in Samus Returns, but this feature is as tedious as it could be. Like I said, people who are really desperate for just that "QoL" feature are just retards in some way.

I bet even people who bought the amiibo just because won't even use it ironically. Stay mad though.
Again completely missing the point...and having an attitude while doing so

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just like the Wolf Link dungeon in TP HD, it can only be unlocked with the Wolf Link Amiibo.

Really lame of Nintendo to do stuff like this but it doesn't surprise me cause Nintendo treats their fans like dirt.

FStubbs

People always talk shit about EA of Ubi, but Nintendo are a bunch of sleazy dogs too when push comes to shove.

fuck-you-pay-me.jpg
They all are. Call them out on their BS when they do it, and this is total BS.

BootsLoader

Banned
To be honest, I think like it’s shit. It would be better for me if they sold that statue for 25$ without the feature and just keep the feature unlocked in the game. This way they literally hide a normal feature of the game behind a 25$ DLC fee. Something feels off.
Waiting for the Nintendo bois to tell me more about this (and I’m not even joking).

Waiting for the Nintendo bois to tell me more about this (and I’m not even joking).
It's pretty much nothing. A lot of fanboys on here get mad that people aren't more mad about games they're not even interested in buying, so they can score console war points.

In reality, if you try and buy any kind of figures for gaming it can cost you hundreds of dollars. I saw one of Link and Ganon that didn't really even look that great, and it was $450 on Amazon. The only reason anyone gets amiibos is for a physical collectible that looks good at a much lower price than other collectibles. Even if I have the amiibo, I doubt I'd take the time to pick it up off my shelf and scan it over my controller for such a trivial and largely useless feature. Let me repeat, it's so useless that I doubt most people will even use it. Most amiibos are $16. This is the first one with two characters in one, and the price suggests to me that it's probably a fairly large figure as well. No one is going to be picking this large amiibo up for a trivial warp that can be done in game easily.

So basically, just a bunch of bitter people jumping on anything they can use to call Nintendo fans "cult members" - the thread. All amiibos have some tiny bit of digital content, or interactivity. So by definition, they would have the same objection to literally every amiibo in existence because its "locking away content." I have like 90% of the amiibos, and the only ones even slightly interesting were two outfits for Splatoon, and honestly I've never really even worn them because you change your gear in that game constantly.

itsnothing.gif
Not even surprised by this and of course, Nintendo will get away with murder.
Or maybe it's not nothing ... maybe it's MURDERRRRRRRRR!!!!!! :lollipop_astonished:

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
It is shit. I am looking forward to the game and while I don't recall the annoyance of flying back, I am fucking pissed that they would add a feature like this period. Even if I had the fucking Amiibo, why would I have to use a toy to do something that should be in a menu? It's a terrible idea all around.

They built this new feature into an 11 year old game they are charging full price for. Put it in the game and don't be cunts Nintendo. There is no fucking excuse or justification. Who ever came up with this plan needs to see what people think of his pathetic idea.
Pretty sure you crazies are the only ones freaking out about this...it’s not needed so I don’t care...

Miles708

It's pretty much nothing. A lot of fanboys on here get mad that people aren't more mad about games they're not even interested in buying, so they can score console war points.

In reality, if you try and buy any kind of figures for gaming it can cost you hundreds of dollars. I saw one of Link and Ganon that didn't really even look that great, and it was $450 on Amazon. The only reason anyone gets amiibos is for a physical collectible that looks good at a much lower price than other collectibles. Even if I have the amiibo, I doubt I'd take the time to pick it up off my shelf and scan it over my controller for such a trivial and largely useless feature. Let me repeat, it's so useless that I doubt most people will even use it. Most amiibos are $16. This is the first one with two characters in one, and the price suggests to me that it's probably a fairly large figure as well. No one is going to be picking this large amiibo up for a trivial warp that can be done in game easily.

So basically, just a bunch of bitter people jumping on anything they can use to call Nintendo fans "cult members" - the thread. All amiibos have some tiny bit of digital content, or interactivity. So by definition, they would have the same objection to literally every amiibo in existence because its "locking away content." I have like 90% of the amiibos, and the only ones even slightly interesting were two outfits for Splatoon, and honestly I've never really even worn them because you change your gear in that game constantly.

itsnothing.gif

I mean, gating a software patch inside an hardware add-on is pretty crap as a concept.

Mozza

Like other cult following products, the users will come up with mental gymnastics to justify this.
This is effectively a cheat not in the original game, locked behind an amiibo figure, there is already fast travel within the regular game, some are suggesting it's all been locked behind a paywall, which is as usual false, no big deal to be honest.

MMaRsu

Banned
Really don't see the issue. Gotta agree with Sean, it's more or less a cheat and not part of the original base game design. It's not a must have feature that one couldn't live without, it's not locking a base game feature behind a figurine. Gotta give those plastic toys some in game value too I suppose even though I believe it's hardly ever the deciding factor for buying one seing how their main value is a collectable.
You agree they are charging 25€ for a cheat and dont think its wrong?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So dumb. I love amiibos (Zelda amiibos especially) but I think this is a total crock of shit.

So much so that it definitely lowers my hype for the game. I'm getting too old for this shit, I might not even bother with this game.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned

itsnothing.gif
That’s why I said that it would be preferable to just release the full game with all the features and use the amiibo for a costume or anything else. Anyway.gif

Mistake

SS is probably my least favorite zelda game. The motion controls were fun though. If they were in TP it would be perfect

Last edited:
Such as, for example, the game being perfectly playable without the feature?

Or, for example, the possible idea that the non-essential extra feature for the game is being used as an incentive to make the expensive figurine a more justifiable purchase for people? Like literally every other Amiibo function is.
No.
This is a simple QoL feature that easily could have been and should have been in the game. They are literally putting near minimum effort into their ports (control changes and resolution) on top of releasing them full price. If it was anybody else it would have been included.

Is the game playable without the feature? Yeah, of course. Is it a huge feature? Not really. Only Nintendo gets away with this stuff though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom