• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo decides to charge $25 (via an Amiibo) for a QoL feature in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

LRKD

Pretty scummy, but not gonna lie I like the idea of Physical dlc, IF it was actually dlc, and not features that should've been in game. Think like Nintendos E-Reader cards, where you scanned the card and it gave you a whole new mario level that was never in the original game. If they made them easy to purchase, and good dlc value, I'd love these things. But most of them suck ass and are hard to purchase, like the splatoon 1 Amiibos are ridiculously expensive, and they give you access to a concert? like really? The concert was already in game, and just locked off by scanning the damn thing.

daveonezero

Banned
imagine if you had to pay 25$ for 30 lives in Contra?

Cracking Up Reaction GIF by Bounce
That was a thing. It’s called a game genie

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
50-Cents-Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

Such as, for example, the game being perfectly playable without the feature?

Or, for example, the possible idea that the non-essential extra feature for the game is being used as an incentive to make the expensive figurine a more justifiable purchase for people? Like literally every other Amiibo function is.
RXjkJn.gif

TLZ

Banned
Or, for example, the possible idea that the non-essential extra feature for the game is being used as an incentive to make the expensive figurine a more justifiable purchase for people? Like literally every other Amiibo function is.
There you go justifying it.

Easy to do when ya have the internet. Or you would buy a magazine.

Nintendo used to charge $5 a minute to get tips.
I don't know who called that line, at least nobody I know.

We had friends and we spoke, many had Nintendo Power! I recall a friend telling me about the code.
konami-code-nintendo-power_0.png

Not sure why you'd call the tips line for this.

Charging for a control scheme is pretty low.

LMJ

Its shit of course but hardly new. How much have EA made via Sony and Microsoft consoles with their Fifa, Star Wars, etc lootboxes?

Not the same, this is skeezy by Nintendo, but lootboxes by their very nature are worse

Pretty scummy, but not gonna lie I like the idea of Physical dlc, IF it was actually dlc, and not features that should've been in game. Think like Nintendos E-Reader cards, where you scanned the card and it gave you a whole new mario level that was never in the original game. If they made them easy to purchase, and good dlc value, I'd love these things. But most of them suck ass and are hard to purchase, like the splatoon 1 Amiibos are ridiculously expensive, and they give you access to a concert? like really? The concert was already in game, and just locked off by scanning the damn thing.

Yup, and Nintendo know it, I bought a chibi Aloy doll (from HZD) because I wanted it...no dlc
I bought the collectible Link BOTW statue because it looks amazing...no dlc

The amibos have DLC for the casual crowd, not the collectors, I own ALL of the OG Amiibos for the WIIU and all of them are still boxed.

A collector buys for the collectible, not a bonus bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Man, this is just more fuel to the fire of platform wars. Already seeing some of those fanboys in this thread. Comparing this to what EA or Activision does... holy moly.

This is not mandatory, this doesn't take away anything from the game. This adds and whoever buys also gets a cool figurine. So much outrage over nothing.

Daymos

Man I gotta say I LIKE the idea, you guys are a bunch of whiners. Fast travel is an optional/unnecessary feature that was never in the original game. That amiibo is awesome and looks well worth 25 bucks to me! To have it do something cool in the game as an extra benefit is a good idea.

If they charged $5 as a microtransaction to allow fast travel it would be bullshit, but to add an extra function to a cool statue is fine.. the KEY concept for me is that zelda + her loftwing looks great. I'm not buying the game (I own it for wii and hate it) but it's honestly very tempting to buy the amiibo.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s a lame ass cash grab gimmick way to unlock or use game features.

It’s not the end of the world but good lawd some of you need to learn that a customer complaining about a product is normal ass shit.

Rob_27

It should be the evolution of the game. Shouldn't have been considered. I haven't ever bought an amiibo.

daveonezero

Banned
It should be the evolution of the game. Shouldn't have been considered. I haven't ever bought an amiibo.
Why it’s a remake?

hell I bet most people on both sides in this thread won’t buy the game
amiibo.

People who want the game will buy that. If they like the amiibo they will get that. No one buying the game will hitch about no fast travel and if they do and don’t want to get the amiibo they will spoof it.

It is a non issue.

I’m not interested in the game. Couldn’t get into TP or SS but the switch has BOTW and for me I’d rather play that.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Skyward Sword deserves a second chance to win people over. It's a quality game that gets a lot of hate.

Nintendo isn't helping themselves with this Amiibo-locked BS though. Streamlining everything about the game for everyone should've been the goal. The much needed QoL improvement shouldn't be exclusive.

I still recommend buying the game and giving it a fair shot, but I'm totally on board for boycotting the damn Amiibo. The only problem is that the thing is fucking beautiful so collectors are going to buy it up in droves anyway. *sigh*

Last edited:

DryvBy

The collectable is the point. The point is the Amiibo bonuses aren't DLC. They're not supposed to be in the game. You get the extra stuff as a bonus for buying the collectable, not the other way around. If the bonus was the point, Nintendo would have been far more serious about making sure you actually own the amiibo when you activate it, and aren't just using some phone app or cloned card.

That doesn't make a bit of sense lol.

The point is both. You get a figure to look at and slap on your Switch, but also you need it to unlock a very basic gameplay mechanic. If they didn't care about that last bit being a feature, then why did they make you pay for an item that sells out just to get it?

93xfan

Banned
Like other cult following products, the users will come up with mental gymnastics to justify this.

Not everyone with a switch like putting up with their nonsense. But yes, there are some who will stupidly promote this.

Game should be $30. $40 max.

Hestar69

Tried to buy the amiibo this morning and it sold out on amazon in 1 minute... fuckkkkkkkkkkkk nintendo. canceled my pre order for the game and will just pirate the wii version and play it there.

mcjmetroid

Oh no, I guess I'm supposed to cry over this.

It's lame I guess but is it really that big of a deal? I'll continue to not give a shit about this amiibo or its functionality and look forward to playing this game again!

Another poster downplaying this by using dramatic language.

See nobody is " crying" or "upset" about this.
It's normal to complain about a product. Get over it.

mcjmetroid

Man I gotta say I LIKE the idea, you guys are a bunch of whiners. Fast travel is an optional/unnecessary feature that was never in the original game. That amiibo is awesome and looks well worth 25 bucks to me! To have it do something cool in the game as an extra benefit is a good idea.

If they charged $5 as a microtransaction to allow fast travel it would be bullshit, but to add an extra function to a cool statue is fine.. the KEY concept for me is that zelda + her loftwing looks great. I'm not buying the game (I own it for wii and hate it) but it's honestly very tempting to buy the amiibo.

Ok if it's such a pretty figure and worth 25 dollars on its own... Then why add any game content at all to it?

mcjmetroid

By that logic we shouldn't even complain about Nintendo prices but the quality (or lack of) of their software. I mean, I'm getting the game cause I never played it on the Wii, but won't care about the amiibo so won't buy, it's as simple as that.

Regarding the functionality, yeah, it's too bothersome having to put the amiibo in the controller by each fast travel tbh, I don't even think that's an upgrade honestly...
But again.. use your imagination for a second and think about it for a minute.

They actually could have implemented a fast travel feature... Without ( and stay with me here) ANY use of any amiibo at all.

As in no amiibo...
Just a fast travel option on the menu....
No amiibo.

Kataploom

Gold Member
But again.. use your imagination for a second and think about it for a minute.

They actually could have implemented a fast travel feature... Without ( and stay with me here) ANY use of any amiibo at all.

As in no amiibo...
Just a fast travel option on the menu....
No amiibo.
Sure, would be cool if they did, but they didn't and also didn't butchered the game to sell it in parts. If someone don't like it, it's ok not to buy it and that's it. I'll get the game but not the amiibo.

e&e

Banned
Tried to buy the amiibo this morning and it sold out on amazon in 1 minute... fuckkkkkkkkkkkk nintendo. canceled my pre order for the game and will just pirate the wii version and play it there.
Hmm...are you allowed to say this on here?
Another poster downplaying this by using dramatic language.

See nobody is " crying" or "upset" about this.
It's normal to complain about a product. Get over it.
I think you should take your own advice!

The most important questions is, are you going to buy it?

Last edited:

Hestar69

In fairness I do own the game and the gold controller but my wii is super loud when I use a disc in it.

Reactions: e&e

mcjmetroid

Not a chance.
1: I've played this game, it's ok. It has very good dungeon design and boss fights is the nicest thing I can say.
2: The game is built around motion controls, simply changing the controls won't work very well. The motion controls when they were good were actually one of the best parts of the game.
The sword combat with motoonplus DID work very very well. It's just they forced it on too many other areas as well.. like swimming.

3: it's full price
4: and little announcements like this are proof to me that Nintendo isn't serious about this game, just trying to make a quick buck.

A Haaaard pass for me.

As a side note:
I'm getting the feeling a lot of people on this thread haven't played this game.

Motion controls despite poplar belief were not the main problem with this game.

It has gaaaarbage pacing, I mean unbelievably bad. This is a game that asks you to revisit dungeons twice...
It's a very hard game to finish even just the main story mode.
It's a 15 hour game wrapped into a 30 or more hour game.

That's why.. if you actually played the original game you know that a better fast travel option is borderline required in a remaster..... Without an amiibo.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Not a chance.
1: I've played this game, it's ok. It has very good dungeon design and boss fights is the nicest thing I can say.
2: The game is built around motion controls, simply changing the controls won't work very well. The motion controls when they were good were actually one of the best parts of the game.
The sword combat with motoonplus DID work very very well. It's just they forced it on too many other areas as well.. like swimming.

3: it's full price
4: and little announcements like this are proof to me that Nintendo isn't serious about this game, just trying to make a quick buck.

A Haaaard pass for me.

As a side note:
I'm getting the feeling a lot of people on this thread haven't played this game.

Motion controls despite poplar belief were not the main problem with this game.

It has gaaaarbage pacing, I mean unbelievably bad. This is a game that asks you to revisit dungeons twice...
It's a very hard game to finish even just the main story mode.
It's a 15 hour game wrapped into a 30 or more hour game.

That's why.. if you actually played the original game you know that a better fast travel option is borderline required in a remaster..... Without an amiibo.
Ok...

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wow, this is still going?

It's absolutely delicious how many people still insist that not caring about this, or stating facts (ie, this is not DLC and not the main reason one would buy an amiibo), is "excusing" or "justifying" the scummy practices of bad guy Nintendo. Most of the people being rational about this are not even going to buy the amiibo.

On the other hand, I wonder how many of the people screaming murder were even going to buy SS Remastered

GuinGuin

Banned

It's absolutely delicious how many people still insist that not caring about this, or stating facts (ie, this is not DLC and not the main reason one would buy an amiibo), is "excusing" or "justifying" the scummy practices of bad guy Nintendo. Most of the people being rational about this are not even going to buy the amiibo.

On the other hand, I wonder how many of the people screaming murder were even going to buy SS Remastered

You can point and laugh at a lousy practice without having a pre-order. 👍

mcjmetroid

My last post on this.

Even the Nintendo fans i have argued with in other threads have not approved of this move.
It's one of the more inexcusable moves by Nintendo but yet we have people defending it or saying it's not a big deal or even worse saying " well they're a business what can you do" and then buy the game which is weeeird for a customer to be saying about an entertainment product.

Have you ever heard of the phrase slippery slope?

On paper this isn't the biggest deal in the world but where does it end? A big fuss is needed for bad situations like this to try and stop worse ones in the future.

I am very hard on Microtransactions in games. I won't buy any game with a sniff of them. I don't believe in buying a full price game and having features blocked out from you.

I will accept costumes and cosmetics begrudgingly sometimes but not QOL, difficulty modes, pay to win or any of that stuff locked behind any sort of paywall that isn't the initial price of the game.

That's my take on it. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

Majukun

Games can have hassle and inconveniences, because it's often from these that you can build interesting mechanics around and force your player to make decisions that will make them feel involved.

But if you value that inconvenience so little, and it's so unimportant that you are willing to sell it away for a quick buck, then it shouldn't be in the game in the first place and sounds more like an issue you created and you are now selling a solution for than an actual design choice.

Kenpachii

Simply stating a fact, if you do not agree then that's up to you.

The reason they put that feature in that amibo is so people buy the amibo to start with. Or else why not include it into the game itself? Because they know people will buy it just for that and it generates them money.

So yea tis 25 bucks for a feature in a game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is not a feature the game is "supposed to" have, just like all the Amiibo stuff in BotW were just "cheats" that are not part of the intended experience. They're not taking anything away and locking it behind physical DLC. So I'm not personally bothered by this. But sure, in this case it's a feature rather than free items, so I could see why it annoys people.

(I'm not buying this port anyway. It's the Zelda game I'm least interested in replaying.)

Last edited:

Mozza

The reason they put that feature in that amibo is so people buy the amibo to start with. Or else why not include it into the game itself? Because they know people will buy it just for that and it generates them money.

So yea tis 25 bucks for a feature in a game.

People would buy the amiibo anyway, the additional cheat code is a small bonus.

Neff

It's lame I guess but is it really that big of a deal?

It is a complete and total non-issue. People are pretending to be upset about how important a feature it is, in a game they were never going to purchase in the first place, because Nintendo. It will still be the same game it always was, save points are frequent, and travelling between the sky and the overworld is never a thing you suddenly feel a burning desire to instantly do.

The only valid criticism to be levelled at Nintendo here is that they didn't make enough of these Amiibos (again), because they've sold out ridiculously quickly, as they always do.

Such as, for example, the game being perfectly playable without the feature?

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread.

I don't really like the idea of Amiibo but it does make sense that they want to have some kind of benefit linked to the Amiibo figure.

In this case that's a bad choice and it does seem like they messed up by putting a feature many people seem to want behind an amiibo purchase.

Still well never really know it the thought process was "what function can we give the amiibo, how about unlimited fast travel" or "we've put unlimited fast travel in the game but actually we should lock that behind a limited edition figure that hardly anyone will buy".

Top Bottom