• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo deserves praise for adding meaningful free stuff to their games in an age where most companies sell you skins and useless bullshit

Bragr

Banned
Whatever you think of Nintendo, this is awesome to see. Any other company would have charged money for this.

Mario Golf is getting some new free DLC, soon, and it's pretty substantial, but this ain't the first time Nintendo adds content to their games for free:

Animal Crossing
- Added a bunch of new features in the first few months, and while it's a while now since they added anything meaningful, this could easily have been exploited as paid content for a lot of profit.

ARMS
- Was updated for free with a new character and a new mode and stage, as well as a lot of other good additions like tracking statistics.

New Pokemon Snap
- Last week it got a big new free update with 3 new areas and 20 new Pokemon.

Super Mario Maker 2
- Several large free DLC updates that added tons of stuff to the game.

Super Mario Party
- Out of the blue added a free update that made most of the games playable online.

Super Mario Odyssey
- Added the hide and seek mode for free, as well as several new outfits.

Probably some other games too, either way, kudos to Nintendo.

5---pauliki-gallery-8035-3tnhb6.7i7p6v.image.wvh.jpg

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I agree. Nintendo still has many games where you work hard to unlock the nice cosmetic, item, or perk. Honestly I'm shocked and relieved that I still have a lot of games on many systems that let me enjoy games this way.

The only nintendo game where I feel like it's really just stringing out crap at this point is Pokemon, but I guess what can I expect from an old childhood game about little monsters fighting each other 😄? Would love to see someone other than Gamefreak do a big pokemon game that fans crave, but it will never happen.

Last edited:
but still they charge full $60 for old games and price never drops. These free items are just a few drops in the salty ocean.

Their games are AA budget priced $60 and never go down...the least they can do is deliver a good amount of content in their games, that's only expected not worthy of making a fuss about it.

Honestly some of this shit should have been in the base game. In fact alot of these games have less content than what the previous entries of the same IP had so it actually feels like they held back content to only add later.

cool but how about we get price drops like pretty much every other publisher?

It often feels like they release incomplete games and then add stuff to them later. They also sell basic gameplay features and QoL improvements as DLC and amiibo.
Doing God’s work here gentlemen.

When are they going to add fun to Animal Crossing?
Holy shit I can’t fucking breath🤣

KAL2006

Banned
Doing God’s work here gentlemen.

Holy shit I can’t fucking breath🤣

Please clarify why you disagree with my statement. I'll give you an example what I mean. Super Mario Party has less boards and mini games than its predecessors. So adding new shit after is just making up for how content light that game was compared to its predecessors.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I give them praise, but we must also recognize that they are slowly caving in.

I wish for them to resist, but their games are adopting micro-transaction monetization techniques slowly over time.

They are definitely the best out there besides a few indie devs.

Last edited:

Omali

Meanwhile they lock entire game modes behind Amiibo which forgetting the extra purchase can be stupidly difficult to obtain as it is, doubly so for the units Nintendo does one run of and then never prints again. Nintendo locks its DLC behind artificial scarcity.

Shifty1897

AntiNintendoGAF stays cruising for new threads to drive-by shit post in.
Dog Reaction GIF

I will say Mario Golf did launch borderline incomplete though, half the number of courses as the last entry and the online multiplayer didn't have matchmaking until the last update.

I was a big fan of the Super Mario Maker 2 update. I remember watching the update video on YouTube and freaking out about the addition of world maps.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They're good at their games content because they want their games to feel premium... Those complaining that their games don't lower their prices should understand this first and that they sell at 60 anyway so why should they?

Kenpachii

Lol pokemon is a thing, where u have to buy multiple of the same game to get all pokemons.

Breath of the wild u needed shitty toys to get some features unlocked, and the expansions where expensive as shit.

Also free things in games have always been a thing, even AC games do it with festivals.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why they shouldn't continue charging full price for games if they stay on the top of the charts for years?

It's not Nintendo's problem that other developers games don't hold their value, otherwise they'd be doing the same thing. Be real.
When it comes to new game releaes, I totally agree, but their ports of older titles should be 40 or 50 bucks max.
The games are good and in that sense they are worth the price, but still it's an iffy practice selling ports of old games at full price.
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze was even was sold for more on Switch than on Wii U.

Skifi28

Plenty of games have free updates with extra stuff these days. We're talking about the company selling overpriced plastic figures as DLC, I wouldn't get so excited about their generosity.

Kokoloko85

There not getting any praise from me for prices…. Plus they hardly ever have sales. Theres a bunch of games I still want but Im not paying £50 for Pikmin 3 and Luigi’s mansion 3 or £50+ for smash bros

Bragr

Banned
I'm disappointed at the poor arguments and the general moronic bullshit a lot of you are saying.

First off, just because you don't like Amiibo's or no sales or expensive ports doesn't mean that it's a bad thing that they dole out large free DLC's.

Games at full price are how they should be. As a gamer, I love sales like everyone, but I can also recognize the absolute shitshow of the current discount culture that is plaguing the industry, how many games have you bought at 40% and it just sits in your backlog? you, my friend, have been fucked by discount manipulation and are one of the reasons why free-to-play and in-game stores are exploding across the industry. It's not about selling the game at a real value, but getting the player tricked into the game so they can push 2 dollar shit at you. And so many mid-sized games are getting fucked because the norm now is that your game has to sold at 50% 4 months after release. I fully support Nintendo in having a motherfucking standard among the filth and shady shit that you people feed on.

Now the Amiibo's, yeah sure, it sucks what they did with Skyward Sword, but generally, most of the Amiibo stuff is minor shit and skins, there are very few instances where you need to buy a fucking Amiibo to enjoy the game. It's a fucking toy Nintendo makes for fun. People make waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much heat about Amiibo's. Comically so.

And yeah they charge full price for older ports which is a bit extreme, but if you don't want them then why are you so angry? are you angry that they don't price the game into your price range? I mean, there are tons of games across Playstation, Xbox, and PC that are priced wrong, if you disagree with the price, then don't purchase. Nobody is forcing you to buy old ports.

And you could argue that Mario Golf and some games were a bit incomplete, but it's your responsibility to read reviews just like always.

I'm disappointed at the poor arguments and the general moronic bullshit a lot of you are saying.

First off, just because you don't like Amiibo's or no sales or expensive ports doesn't mean that it's a bad thing that they dole out large free DLC's.

Games at full price are how they should be. As a gamer, I love sales like everyone, but I can also recognize the absolute shitshow of the current discount culture that is plaguing the industry, how many games have you bought at 40% and it just sits in your backlog? you, my friend, have been fucked by discount manipulation and are one of the reasons why free-to-play and in-game stores are exploding across the industry. It's not about selling the game at a real value, but getting the player tricked into the game so they can push 2 dollar shit at you. And so many mid-sized games are getting fucked because the norm now is that your game has to sold at 50% 4 months after release. I fully support Nintendo in having a motherfucking standard among the filth and shady shit that you people feed on.

Now the Amiibo's, yeah sure, it sucks what they did with Skyward Sword, but generally, most of the Amiibo stuff is minor shit and skins, there are very few instances where you need to buy a fucking Amiibo to enjoy the game. It's a fucking toy Nintendo makes for fun. People make waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much heat about Amiibo's. Comically so.

And yeah they charge full price for older ports which is a bit extreme, but if you don't want them then why are you so angry? are you angry that they don't price the game into your price range? I mean, there are tons of games across Playstation, Xbox, and PC that are priced wrong, if you disagree with the price, then don't purchase. Nobody is forcing you to buy old ports.

And you could argue that Mario Golf and some games were a bit incomplete, but it's your responsibility to read reviews just like always.
JFL this post is embarrassing. It reads like era circa-2014. Scratch that, it reads like era(and every enthusiast site) nowadays. So, let me get this straight, the reason for predatory practices being successful is because of a lack of consumer responsibility? Secondly, why are you ignoring that said predatory business practices were implemented by Nintendo themselves?

Jeeves

It will never not be funny how salty people get that Nintendo games cost MSRP.

Yeah, it's great to see the post-launch support they give these games for free. Splatoon is another example, adding weapons and maps for free.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You are praising the japanese Company which sells a lousy Skyward Sword Port or Mario Allstars emulation Collection for 60 Bugs?
Come on…
I'd rather have SSHD as is than an "improved" WWHD that looks worst than original lol.

If anything, let Nintendo charge their prices so they still keep their full games at release phylosofy on times where others rely on MTX and lootboxes due to investment rising, I don't care and, in case some call me fanboy for accepting other's freedom to do business without damaging no one, I'd do the same for Sony, MS o whomever else.

Heck, GTA5 and Skyrim only got price cuts going later last gen.

levyjl1988

Banned
I don’t mind amiibo, they are tangible well crafted figures that you can hold.
Nintendo does free content for their switch titles but for their mobile counterpart they are exploiting the hell out of it. Look at mobile for Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, etc, they be milking.

MagnesG

Banned
Meanwhile, Sony is trying hard to stay $70 for their games, how about that...

When your toys are the next level of MTX

Its Free Real Estate GIF
I thought all things you encountered in BOTW are boring as useless? Why does anyone care suddenly lol?

JFL this post is embarrassing. It reads like era circa-2014. Scratch that, it reads like era(and every enthusiast site) nowadays. So, let me get this straight, the reason for predatory practices being successful is because of a lack of consumer responsibility? Secondly, why are you ignoring that said predatory business practices were implemented by Nintendo themselves?
I mean, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if people get robbed on broad daylight with this attitude. Just vote with your wallet and see if it is working or not, sadly it doesn't work and that is why you're complaining.

D

Deleted member 820760

Unconfirmed Member
The people complaining about the price need to shut it. If you want cheaper Nintendo games then follow these simple steps:

1. Buy game for $60
2. Play/finish game
3. Sell game for $40+

There are your cheap Nintendo games.

Meanwhile, Sony is trying hard to stay $70 for their games, how about that...

I thought all things you encountered in BOTW are boring as useless? Why does anyone care suddenly lol?

I mean, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if people get robbed on broad daylight with this attitude. Just vote with your wallet and see if it is working or not, sadly it doesn't work and that is why you're complaining.
If “voting with your wallet” was all it took, micro transactions wouldn’t be so in vogue now. Everyone votes with their wallet, some more foolishly than others. Overall, voting with your wallet doesn’t stop predatory practices🤷🏿‍♂️

MagnesG

Banned
If “voting with your wallet” was all it took, micro transactions wouldn’t be so in vogue now. Everyone votes with their wallet, some more foolishly than others. Overall, voting with your wallet doesn’t stop predatory practices🤷🏿‍♂️
It's a free market, your definition of foolish might be an enjoyment for others, and vice versa. I think complaining about a face value price with no stake at all, for games they still wanna play and probably worth spending time for, is extremely idiotic. It makes people seem like poor AF physically and mentally.

It's a free market, your definition of foolish might be an enjoyment for others, and vice versa. I think complaining about a face value price with no stake at all, for games they still wanna play and probably worth spending time for, is extremely idiotic. It makes people seem like poor AF physically and mentally.
The value prop isn’t there though. If/when we praise Nintendo for basic stuff that other developers do constantly, we enable Nintendo to create half-cocked products. Their DLC model is one of the worst in the industry too. Ex: BoTWs season pass. Why do we have to buy the whole thing and not piecemeal? I still have not finished Trial Of The Sword to this day!

yurinka

Most game publishers add free game updates to their games fixing stuff or adding post launch content they didn't have time to include at launch, or that strategically saved for post launch to combine it with paid DLCs. Like other companies, Nintendo also includes paid DLC (see Smash, or see the Amiibos). These things are similar to the other big publishers.

What is different from other big publishers (they aren't the only ones, others also do it) is to sell at full price AA games or games from previous generations. And well, to don't apply price cuts to their old games.

When the other publishers are the ones who release post launch content sometimes people complain about them releasing half baked or incomplete games instead of saying they are generous and kind for giving away free content.

Last edited:

Roufianos

With other publishers you get the full game plus DLC for less than the original price within a year. If I wanted Pokemon Sword and Shield plus the DLC it would be what? $90?

They're the least consumer friendly company of the big 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom