• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo deserves praise for adding meaningful free stuff to their games in an age where most companies sell you skins and useless bullshit

Tell me one reason why a company shoud lower prices if their product sells like crazy? And btw. the advantage of this is that you can easily resell them with little to no loss or trade them 1:1 even for newer games.
Sell even more after a maxed out sales number

No reason to keep full price for games who have slowed down their sales, lower prices would boost and renew sales for them

No reason to keep full price for games who have slowed down their sales, lower prices would boost and renew sales for them
They are already selling much more 1st party games than Sony and Microsoft although those two make their games cheaper very fast. Sony and Microsoft would also keep prices high if they could, but they can't.

MagnesG

Banned

They do, just much less and slower, and near impossible for best selling titles.

Ironically, most titles that these poor people are complaining about are those best-selling titles. The entitlement is off the charts really.

tr1p1ex

but still they charge full $60 for old games and price never drops. These free items are just a few drops in the salty ocean.
But resale value is high. You can resell on Ebay and net $20-$30 minimum on virtually every 1st party game years later.

Also every 1st party game is $50 day one at Walmart.

Plus there are frequent sales on 1st party games. Pretty common to see 1st party games for $40-$45 on sale at major retailers. Some titles hit $30 on sale this gen.

And in the past they've eventually released select titles at a lower price with an altered cover as part of a value series (or Select series) lineup.

Last edited:
They deserve no praise at all for the horrific way they've treated New Horizons so far. They basically left the game for dead after they covered all the holidays -- it's ridiculous that we're only getting new, meaningful content on November at the earliest (I know this hasn't been properly confirmed yet, but it's quite likely to be the case).

That being said, adding online to SMP for free was amazing and the new content for Pokémon Snap and Mario Maker 2 was quite good as well. I guess that goes to show that perhaps they intended to support ACNH properly but ran into problems due to COVID? Not that "good intentions" matter much, though, because at the end of the day a lot of us already lost all interest in ACNH.

MilkyJoe

The same Nintendo that makes you pay for the same games over and over again? The Same Nintendo where launch games cost the same at the end of the generation? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The same Nintendo that makes you pay for the same games over and over again? The Same Nintendo where launch games cost the same at the end of the generation? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Imagine a game retaining its value in both the eyes of the company and its consumer base, instead of being heavily disposable and quickly discounted like most of the other major players in the industry.

Though I won't lie, I would kill for a Game Pass like treatment for their Pre-Wii days.

Didn't they just charge $25 via an amiibo in order to be able to use a game's built-in feature?

No? The amiibo just unlocks the ability to use *slightly faster* fast travel. It saves literally maybe 1-2 seconds at most. The points to allow you to fast travel are beyond numerous. This would be apparent for anyone who actually played the game.

Last edited:
Eh, it’s nice that they include some worthwhile content for free, but a lot of other companies do as well. But any good will would be offset by their pricing strategies, and Amiibo bullshit.

Don’t get me wrong, if they make games people are willing to pay $60 for, even years after release, then by all means charge it. But since it’s $60, and will be so for years after release, it SHOULD see some free content. Look at Ghosts from Sony. It’s seen good free post launch support. And it’s also regularly on sale. They have a paid expansion coming, but you can offset that price by buying the game on sale. And then you have the thing where they charge full price for remasters of old games.

Then there’s Amiibo, which is the shittiest thing going on in the industry imho. Locking content on a game I paid for and only unlocking it if I go out and hunt down some stupid toy. I’ve never understood how they get a pass from mainstream media and gamers on this, but if a game dares launch with monetization someone interprets as even mildly scummy, oh well fuck those devs.

Fluo

Didn't they just charge $25 via an amiibo in order to be able to use a game's built-in feature?
As scandalous as it sounds, amiibo sky travel is actually inferior to using statues. You need to scan amiibo every single time you want to travel and it's just too much hassle. I've used it once in a full playthrough to check how it's working.

Imagine a game retaining its value in both the eyes of the company and its consumer base, instead of being heavily disposable and quickly discounted like most of the other major players in the industry.
Imagine using this pathetic argument when their competitors wipe the floor with discounts and customer value. I get to play the MP for Halo Infinite FOR FREE. Meanwhile, Nintendo still charges $50 for Breath of The Wild. I can get one of PS4's best games (God of War) for $20 or less.

Boss Mog

I get that you want to find reasons to cry/bitch about Nintendo and there are numerous reasons that would be completely understandable, but this isn't one of them. Take the L, mate.
:pie_eyeroll: What L am I supposed to be taking exactly? Seriously just stop being a deluded fanboy.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
:pie_eyeroll: What L am I supposed to be taking exactly? Seriously just stop being a deluded fanboy.

You are the one coming into a Nintendo thread to cry/bitch about anything Nintendo does, even things (such as what you just did) that aren't true. Hell, this is a common action from you. I would take a look in the mirror as the deluded fanboy is you.

Imagine using this pathetic argument when their competitors wipe the floor with discounts and customer value. I get to play the MP for Halo Infinite FOR FREE. Meanwhile, Nintendo still charges $50 for Breath of The Wild. I can get one of PS4's best games (God of War) for $20 or less.

Customer value? Clearly the customers value Nintendo games highly as they continue to get sold by the tens of millions at full price. Meanwhile competitors have to discount their games to reach that same level of sales numbers as we can see with any Sales thread that tends to pop up.

As for Halo Infinite - the game isn't even out yet so the value on if it is even worth playing for free is debatable. Even in the fanbase, Halo has been questionable in its entertainment for MP since Reach released. Rather silly to use that as an example. Would have been better to use GamePass and you would have had a strong argument then (and one I would have wholeheartedly agreed with).

Last edited:
You are the one coming into a Nintendo thread to cry/bitch about anything Nintendo does, even things (such as what you just did) that aren't true. Hell, this is a common action from you. I would take a look in the mirror as the deluded fanboy is you.

Customer value? Clearly the customers value Nintendo games highly as they continue to get sold by the tens of millions at full price. Meanwhile competitors have to discount their games to reach that same level of sales numbers as we can see with any Sales thread that tends to pop up.

As for Halo Infinite - the game isn't even out yet so the value on if it is even worth playing for free is debatable. Even in the fanbase, Halo has been questionable in its entertainment for MP since Reach released. Rather silly to use that as an example. Would have been better to use GamePass and you would have had a strong argument then (and one I would have wholeheartedly agreed with).
Lol Halo infinite will be offered on Game pass along with all other MS first-party titles. PS also offers great deals to their games thus increasing their value.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lol Halo infinite will be offered on Game pass along with all other MS first-party titles. PS also offers great deals to their games thus increasing their value.

Agreed? Which is why I mentioned that it would be better for your argument over Halo Infinite MP which is free regardless of Gamepass or not and still hasn't released (unless I missed something).

Boss Mog

You are the one coming into a Nintendo thread to cry/bitch about anything Nintendo does, even things (such as what you just did) that aren't true. Hell, this is a common action from you.
Pointing out that they recently charged $25 to access an existing in-game feature is not crying or bitching, it's something relevant to the thread's topic; something which your responses to me fail to achieve. A common action from me? I think I commented on Nintendo a handful of times in the 8 years since I've been here. Get a grip man.

GymWolf

way more monsters and added costumes.
your typical monhun free updates.
They did something to ease the process for people who don't like that battle royale mode? like at launch you can only fight apex monsters in that mode.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We should praise them for locking fast travel behind a 25 dollar (outside of scalpers) pay wall in Skyrim HD?

It isn't. Do some basic research.

Pointing out that they recently charged $25 to access an existing in-game feature is not crying or bitching, it's something relevant to the thread's topic; something which your responses to me fail to achieve. A common action from me? I think I commented on Nintendo a handful of times in the 8 years since I've been here. Get a grip man.

Except it wasn't. That claim of yours was already disproven. Something you could easily find if you did any amount of bare bones research instead of coming in here to cry about something that wasn't even real. Relevant? Your posts have certainly not been. Again - plenty of valid reasons to complain about Nintendo - at least do some research the next time you do.

Get a grip, mate.

They did something to ease the process for people who don't like that battle royale mode? like at launch you can only fight apex monsters in that mode.

Apex Monsters have been added as normal hunts. Outside of story related reasons or for a quick diversion, there is no real reason to ever enter that mode.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Except it wasn't. That claim of yours was already disproven. Something you could easily find if you did any amount of bare bones research instead of coming in here to cry about something that wasn't even real. Relevant? Your posts have certainly not been. Again - plenty of valid reasons to complain about Nintendo - at least do some research the next time you do.

Get a grip, mate.

Apex Monsters have been added as normal hunts. Outside of story related reasons or for a quick diversion, there is no real reason to ever enter that mode.
Thank fucking god.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i never touched that shit.
i basically killed the amiibo mon rolled credits. and played some other games.
i lack time for games

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m sorry I don’t see it, if anything Nintendo are the worst of the lot.

Stripped back functionality compared to 3DS and Wii U, charging again for Virtual Console transfers from Wii to Wii U, stripping the VC completely from the Switch, Wii U Switch ports that are more expensive than the Wii U RRP, Amiibo’s hiding game functionality, charging for an online service that is below barebones.

Neil Young

Games at full price are how they should be. As a gamer, I love sales like everyone, but I can also recognize the absolute shitshow of the current discount culture that is plaguing the industry, how many games have you bought at 40% and it just sits in your backlog? you, my friend, have been fucked by discount manipulation and are one of the reasons why free-to-play and in-game stores are exploding across the industry.
Ok...during the recent Xbox sale I bought the Batman Return to Arkham remaster for 5 bucks. I also picked up the Crash Bandicoot pack that had the insane trilogy, 4, and the cart game for 60 bucks....I think like a 50% discount. Also picked up the complete Star link collection for 11 bucks (game could stink but I dig Ubisoft games). Please, PLEASE tell me how I have been fucked by "discount culture". I would love to know, especially when a game like Octopath Traveller, is STILL 60 bucks on the Switch. You know, that pillar of game design and value that is currently " free" on game pass.

I've read every defense for Nintendo but people buying games on sale is the reason for mtx and in game stores is ridiculous.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
what you don't like content hidden behind a

76 dollar plastic piece of shit?

man nintendo fans are so spoiled

Again, it wasn't.

A better choice would have been to use the Metroid Amiibo (Amazon.com: Amiibo - Samus Aran & Metroid (2-Pack): Video Games) which is nearly 300+ dollars for the two pack on Amazon and 80+ on eBay (on average) to have a valid point to make. That amiibo actually hid away the Fusion Mode in Metroid: Samus Returns, a more difficult version of hard mode, that can only be unlocked via the amiibo.

Not sure why it is so difficult to not use plenty of valid real examples instead of propagating false information.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Again, it wasn't.

A better choice would have been to use the Metroid Amiibo (Amazon.com: Amiibo - Samus Aran & Metroid (2-Pack): Video Games) which is nearly 300+ dollars for the two pack on Amazon and 80+ on eBay (on average) to have a valid point to make. That amiibo actually hid away the Fusion Mode in Metroid: Samus Returns, a more difficult version of hard mode, that can only be unlocked via the amiibo.

Not sure why it is so difficult to not use plenty of valid real examples instead of propagating false information.
My example is real.
Yours is false nintendo backtracked on fusion mode.. amiibo not needed..

meanwhile in zelda skyward sword.. you better pay up 76 bucks of you want that QoL improvement. 🤣

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My example is real.
Yours is false nintendo backtracked on fusion mode.. amiibo not needed..

meanwhile in zelda skyward sword.. you better pay up 76 bucks of you want that QoL improvement. 🤣

Fast Travel is still in the game, regardless of if you use the Amiibo or not. The amiibo essentially saves 1-2 seconds. It doesn't hide any crucial feature and is, even then, a negligible bonus as the time spent grabbing the amiibo and using it takes about the same amount of time to just go to the numerous fast travel statues that are rarely more than a few feet away when you need to use one.

Did they add Fusion Mode as a downloadable update? As far as I remember it can only ever be unlocked via the Metroid Amiibo. Hard mode, which unlocks after beating normal mode, is not the same.

MagnesG

Banned
Amiibos are not figurines with extra features apparently, these retards thought that Nintendo fans are suffering left and right buying amiibos when most don't and move on with playing those games. Absolute morons.

Top Bottom