• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Details $45 of DLC Coming to Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

I would say this more on intelligent System then Nintendo.

Edit: does this game need grinding maps? Can't you just grind in the dungeons and what not?

mindatlarge

I'll be picking up the base game, but I doubt I'll be getting any of the DLC. There's so much I have yet to play in my backlog, so I rarely purchase DLC and much prefer GotY editions for that sense of having the complete experience in one package.

L95

Edit: does this game need grinding maps? Can't you just grind in the dungeons and what not?

Yes, which is why I think them having TWO exp grinding dungeons as dlc is pretty stupid... and a strange decision.

tauroxd

Don't do it. Don't buy the game. Vote with your wallet.

As I said and someone else did too, you can easily buy the game, this one is full of content that you and anybody else will play for more than 40 hours. meaning less than $1 for hours of gameplay. What you and anyone else against this DLC thing should do is not buy the DLC. I never touched any DLC in Awakening and I played it for more than 80 hours. I never touched any DLC from Fates (I don't actually count the two other campaings as DLC, as they are complete games) and I eneded up playing close to 160 hours.

The problem is not the game, it has a lot of content. even more than the original one. The problem is the DLC.

Third time around now. Realize I really do not approve of this approach to DLC. I will not be purchasing this, just put it in the game. Honestly, I want to buy the collectors edition but I will be downloading a cia for dlc because I don't want to support this model of dlc.

Passose

Banned
379ch

Chindogg

It's not the first time Fire Emblem had egregious DLC. IIRC Awakening had awful DLC packages as well.

Good thing the core game is complete enough that I don't have to buy any of it and be fine.

Socivol

This is pathetic. How are you selling DLC for a price that is MORE than the damn game?! Unless it's a game + worth of content this is absolutely insane.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Admittedly, this isn't a new thing, but while I'm somewhat curious to see just how DLC pack 4 compares to something like Awakening's Future scenarios (which were pretty good at fleshing out that aspect of the story), none of Fate's extra scenarios sounded appealing at all.

And having a 'season pass' (which barely saves you anything, and costs more than the game) is almost, if not equal to, Atlus levels of shitty pricing.

It saves you 7 dollars....and still costs more than the game, lawl.

oti

Banned
This is pathetic. How are you selling DLC for a price that is MORE than the damn game?! Unless it's a game + worth of content this is absolutely insane.

It's a Fire Emblem game. The game alone will have enough content. The DLC is just some maps and fights. The only DLC with story is Pack 4. You could just buy that if you wanted. I wonder who actually buys all of the DLC in those games.

Renewed

$63.49 CAD for some DLC in what should otherwise be a game I might just blast through... Oh gosh I feel ill.

What's funny is I saw EB Games offering a free poster with preorder of both the game and DLC season pass. I thought about it based on what the DLC pricing model would be, but oooof.

It's a Fire Emblem game. The game alone will have enough content. The DLC is just some maps and fights. The only DLC with story is Pack 4. You could just buy that if you wanted. I wonder who actually buys all of the DLC in those games.
I did for Awakening. It was bad, I was just excited for us getting a new Fire Emblem. And it was nostalgic DLC as well. Don't regret it tho, I knew what I was buying.

Fates I bought a couple Maps, like 4-5 I think. I liked them actually, but only the Severa, Inigo, and Owain was worth it in my opinion.
The children maps were actually pretty fun (you had pre-set stats, weapons, and no leveling up), but after playing two of those. Story went nowhere so I just YouTube the rest.

Weird that NOA decide to make the last DLC a mystery as...well NOE decided to go with some what they know and spilled the beans:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...hadows-of-Valentia-from-19th-May-1220202.html
Ah good old NOE.

If you want more detailed info (including story) just check a Fire Emblem fansite :p
https://serenesforest.net/2017/05/03/echoes-english-official-site-renewal-dlc-plans/#more-38874

Nintendo seeing FE dollar signs after Heroes.
It caused such a rift it traveled back in time and affected Fire Emblem: Awakening giving it €49 of DLC. There is also the matter of what does $49 get you in Heroes? Probably not enough to obtain the omega dual fusion +10 of the 5* only top tier unit of the weak...with the correct nature.

You can say the same for Awakening. You can grind for free but the paid options are much better. Though my understanding is echoes has a
fairly brutal postgame
which is probably where the paid exclusive options come to play of
ultimate classes (which Japan does not yet have which probably skews the perception a bit), better growth rates and more rare items

Champion

It isnt as bad as some are making it out to be. Those Nintendo is doing DLC right threads are a distant memory though...

-shadow-

That price, and the content is not even included in the 90 EUR limited edition. Thank God I ordered two of those, so I can make money from scalping to offset the cost.

evil-grin.jpg
You're a monster!

I can't find the LE anywhere and I want it so badly :(

Shiggy

It isnt as bad as some are making it out to be. Those Nintendo is doing DLC right threads are a distant memory though...

Even then they were more than just questionable. The DLC in NSMB2 is quite a ripoff.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479558&page=2

You're a monster!

I can't find the LE anywhere and I want it so badly :(

I sell you mine for 150 EUR, no worries. But honestly, it really feels like Nintendo's LE are really limited, whereas most other aren't. Still happy that I got one for FE Fates. I typically order two copies for limited editions I want in case one retailer messes something up.

Neoweee

The counter point to all of those threads was all of the previous DLC to Fire Emblem games, which were already out at the time those threads were made.

It's like some weird ouroboros or a shitty version of the Sonic Cycle, where a Fire Emblem game comes out and its appalling DLC crushes the hopes of fans.

Yes, Fire Emblem DLC has always been this shitty.

Surprisingly, They are not own by them.

I think they just work exclusively? Don't know all the details.

I wonder how much money they make off this. I remember they called Awakening DLC successful
No, they are a Nintendo subsidiary. Nintendo has some ownership of them, whether it's complete or just partial like GameFreak I'm not sure. They used to work out of Nintendo's Kyoto offices.

Anyway, as for the DLC, packs 3 and 4 sound worth it, new classes and extra story content. You really don't need the ones for grinding as grinding is already possible due tobthe structure of the game. It's always better to pick and choose what you want when it comes to Fire Emblem DLC, as it's highly unlikely anyone would want all of it.

Draxal

The counter point to all of those threads was all of the previous DLC to Fire Emblem games, which were already out at the time those threads were made.

It's like some weird ouroboros or a shitty version of the Sonic Cycle, where a Fire Emblem game comes out and its appalling DLC crushes the hopes of fans.

Yes, Fire Emblem DLC has always been this shitty.

Awakening's DLC was worse then Fates. I'm expecting this one to be better then Awakening's as well.

The content of Awakening's dlc was awwwwful.

Distasteful, and not all of these will be winners. But being very selective picking between the 20+ dlcs individually should be reasonable. I only got the the initial pack for Fates because Best Buy screwed up shipping of the SE and gave $20 at the time so I figured why not. Otherwise I would have gotten maybe two or three of them individually, as with Awakening.

NeonZ

I liked Awakening's DLC better than Fates'... The extra conversations and references to past games were neat, and they had higher leveled content than the main story, something Fates lacked. I also wasn't fond of some story beats in Fates' plot being tied to DLC. Heirs of Fates was nice as a small sequel, but the Awakening trio prologue just clashed with the main game.

Awakening DLC's was clearly cheaper from a resources point of view though - more recycled maps (although Fates still had some) and new characters were just avatars with custom pictures and skill selection. But I think Fates' DLC was just badly done from a basic game design point of view. It was so disappointing to see that the classic maps were just Anna blabbing without any actual story content at all.

In Fates, if you weren't playing Conquest, grinding on appropriated leveled chapters was actually better than using the experience grinding DLC. The money one still was useful though.

Ridley327

Even then they were more than just questionable. The DLC in NSMB2 is quite a ripoff.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479558&page=2
NSMB2 was really frustrating since there was eventually a complete package of the game sold at retail, but it was exclusive to a 3DS at a single retailer and, if I'm not mistaken, pre-installed as opposed to a game card. It sucks since there are a couple of really good levels in those packs, even with the restrictions that are in place for the mode they're in.

I wonder if they made EXP DLC easier.

I know people hated Boo Camp. Made you work for it, plus it took a while to catch on that some don't attack.

iiicon

I do agree that this kind of DLC is predicated on the idea that a subset of RPG fans and a subset of Nintendo fans exist who have a compulsive desire to own and do everything available for a specific game, and a $45 map pack exists solely to take advantage of them, but at some point you have to take responsibility for your own purchases and realize that maybe you don't need the maps that give you a lot of gold or XP for the time you put into them.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Why did they choose FE as their DLC whore IP? =/ Damn.

Yeah, I wonder this, too. Ever since Awakening, every FE game has had some of the most expansive DLC practices in Nintendo's portfolio.

My only guess is that perhaps Fire Emblem is on the lower end of the cost-to-make : revenue-from-sales ratio for Nintendo but has a cluster of dedicated fans (or people for whom the games are too hard) that consistently buy this and make production of these titles more financially appealing.

Top Bottom