• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Digital Downloads - April 2009 (VC/WiiWare/DSiWare)

Somnid

VOOK said:
Then again, we haven't seen everything from the West. Mixed Messages while not perfect was something pretty fun out of left field.

This is true, but the best thing on the lineup looks to be Mighty Flip Champs but it's also another puzzler. People should really spend their points and pick up something, it's not really like DSiWare is bad, it's just supposed be highly portable and playable in short bursts but right now the focus isn't on entirely new content. People are too resistant on doubling dipping, for those that have Club House games how many of those games do you actually play? It may well be worth it to not carry the card around.

Also, by far the best DSiWare and killer app is Ugoku Memo but that's also because of the massive amount of backend that supports it. Version 2 looks to be practically Youtube in terms of functionality. But when it eventually comes it'll be free anyway.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Week 3, more crap. Looks like I'll never need to buy an SD card for my DSi at this rate. Do these 1000 free points ever expire?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Somnid said:
This is true, but the best thing on the lineup looks to be Mighty Flip Champs but it's also another puzzler. People should really spend their points and pick up something, it's not really like DSiWare is bad, it's just supposed be highly portable and playable in short bursts but right now the focus isn't on entirely new content. People are too resistant on doubling dipping, for those that have Club House games how many of those games do you actually play? It may well be worth it to not carry the card around.

Also, by far the best DSiWare and killer app is Ugoku Memo but that's also because of the massive amount of backend that supports it. Version 2 looks to be practically Youtube in terms of functionality. But when it eventually comes it'll be free anyway.

I agree - it rocks. Any date on version 2? I couldn't see on one the Nintendo JP site.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just finished PAPER MARIO last night. just a perfect experience.

whatever i feel about the retail releases on wii, virtual console has made it my most-played, most-loved system. i'm trying to save money to move for school, and being able to throw down $10 and have three weeks of fantastic entertainment from an older, but still 100% quality game, is perfect for my situation.

Somnid

zigg said:
*bangs head on desk*

How long did it take for good stuff to come out in Japan?

There wasn't even DSiWare until almost 2 months after launch so if you line the launches up you guys are ahead, but Ugoku Memo was part of the first batch. In the meantime humor me and define "good."

VOOK said:
I agree - it rocks. Any date on version 2? I couldn't see on one the Nintendo JP site.

If I knew I'd of posted it and Cosmonaunt X would have put it in the OP.

Somnid said:
Not really. Throwing more puzzle games at a service made up of puzzle games isn't going to spark interest outside of PicoPict's 8-bit nostalgia factor.

Agreed. Even WiiWare is plagued (fortunately or unfortunately) by either crappy shovelware or quality puzzle games, but all I want is something with dumb fun where I don't have to think like a beat em up or a shooting game or even a racing game. Just no more puzzle games please!

rpmurphy

Can't decide whether to get Paper Plane or Clubhouse Games Express. Are the card games any good? I don't really know them except Blackjack and Five Card Draw (that's poker right?).

rpmurphy said:
Can't decide whether to get Paper Plane or Clubhouse Games Express. Are the card games any good? I don't really know them except Blackjack and Five Card Draw (that's poker right?).

If you're interested in Clubhouse Games Express, I'd just go ahead and buy the full game at $19.99. You get 42 games in one cartridge, and it's great fun. Plus, the full game is Wifi. Much better deal in my opinion.

I might check out Paper Plane.

Tim-E

I'm going to be using my 200 remaining points on Paper Airplane Chase. I spent a lot of time playing that in the GBA version of Warioware for some reason. :lol

rpmurphy

Gamecocks625 said:
If you're interested in Clubhouse Games Express, I'd just go ahead and buy the full game at $19.99. You get 42 games in one cartridge, and it's great fun. Plus, the full game is Wifi. Much better deal in my opinion.

I might check out Paper Plane.

Wasn't there some supply issue with the game? Or am I thinking of Tetris DS?

Get paper plane. It's not just a port. They've added 8 time attack stages, updated the main game with new charas and use of two screens , and also added a two player mode -- but no four player mode from the GCN version.

This is fucking pointless. They open up to arcades, Commodore and tons of Wiiware games sitting on the line but they refuse to even trickle these out. Instead we get some shit out of left field. Goddamn. The fun is sucked out of gaming for another week.

zigg

Somnid said:
In the meantime humor me and define "good."

Unique, I guess I'd have to say. I keep getting tantalized by the prospect of neat new stuff, but it's not being delivered. Aquia and (dare I say it) Brain Age Express with its at least partially-new content were a good start, but now it's time to step up with more.

I'll probably grab the obscenely-lengthily-renamed Paper Plane though. Pyoro's been fun to have around.

Barrett2

rpmurphy said:

You could probably buy the entire game used for a few dollars more than this single download.

This trend of selling 10% of an existing DS game needs to stop immediately. I would like to personally strangle the asshat at Nintendo who came up with this infuriating plan to extract money from suckers by selling demos as DSiWare titles.

rpmurphy said:
Wasn't there some supply issue with the game? Or am I thinking of Tetris DS?

You're probably thinking of Tetris. NOA re-released Clubhouse Games last year so it's in full stock now both in stores and online.

Hobbun

Somnid said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are looking down on those games you might as well return the system because you aren't going to find something you like.

Unless they start releasing GBC games.

Otherwise you are right, if they keep releasing these kinds of games, we will continue to be disappointed.

Fortunately for myself, I didn't buy the DSi just for the downloadable content, it's just bonus.

Nintendo is starving its Wii and DSi users so pieces of shit like Math Express and Clubhouse Express look like sirloin steaks. It's like living in a dirt field and every Monday morning a truck from Nintendo arrives with the promise of great food to tide us over for the week. But instead it dumps an assload of dirt onto the ground.

Barrett2

evilromero said:
Nintendo is starving its Wii and DSi users so pieces of shit like Math Express and Clubhouse Express look like sirloin steaks. It's like living in a dirt field and every Monday morning a truck from Nintendo arrives with the promise of great food to tide us over for the week. But instead it dumps an assload of dirt onto the ground.

I think it also shows a lot of contempt for the user base. To take existing DS games, break them into small demos and sell those for a few dollars a piece, you are basically saying that your users are complete morons who will buy whatever garbage they litter onto the store that week. This is well beyond fear of product cannibalization... this is almost like a test to see how dumb people really are.

/end rant

Hobbun

evilromero said:

What are you talking about? Those trucks are filled with manure.

Well, except once in that great while we will actually get those sirloin steaks.

Hobbun said:
What are you talking about? Those trucks are filled with manure.

Well, except once in that great while we will actually get those sirloin steaks.
Gotta give us a reason to keep showing up. We have successfully become throse rats pulling the bar looking for the pellet.

It's like living in a dirt field and every Monday morning a truck from Nintendo arrives with the promise of great food to tide us over for the week.

Here's a cracker mother fuckers!

p.s. after you're already dead and buried in your own shit we'll release Majora's Mask! and then we'll release more worthless shit until our #400 game which is slated to happen sometime in 2011 now that we have DSi and Wiiware and other shit now!

Hobbun

crowphoenix said:
Gotta give us a reason to keep showing up. We have successfully become throse rats pulling the bar looking for the pellet.

The thing is, with all the consoles Nintendo has added to the VC, and of course including their own systems, they have more than enough games to bring us back week after week. All it has to be is one quality to great game a week. Not this once every 2-3 months BS.

Of course the problem with that is all they give us one game a week now (at least with the Wii VC).

Stink

Brandon F said:
Week 3, more crap. Looks like I'll never need to buy an SD card for my DSi at this rate. Do these 1000 free points ever expire?

The deal ends in October but there's no obvious expiry of the points themselves afaics.

panda21

isnt expecting a good game every single week a bit much?

it would be less insulting if they just didnt release anything and people wouldnt get their hopes up, but as long as the art style games and similar keep coming, which they no doubt will, i'm happy.

BooJoh

Somnid said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are looking down on those games you might as well return the system because you aren't going to find something you like.
I don't know. Personally I'm finding the updates annoying just because they're managing to put out stuff that doesn't interest me when there's stuff out in Japan that I'd buy. I think puzzle games and minigames are actually a nice fit for the service, but I also find the prospect of buying demos a little insulting. I felt a little dirty buying Brain Age Express, but I justified it by telling myself I'm paying for the small extra features and portability of a no-card game. I'd do the same for Puzzle League or a version of Picross, just because these are games I take with me everywhere anyway.

I'm trying to keep my cool about the DSiWare situation though because, after all, this is only week 3 and I'm sure the selection will get better over time, just like Nintendo's other services. Early adopters have to deal with the slow trickle, but imagine how great VC/WiiWare look to new Wii owners right now.

Tiktaalik

panda21 said:

it would be less insulting if they just didnt release anything and people wouldnt get their hopes up, but as long as the art style games and similar keep coming, which they no doubt will, i'm happy.

Well with the App store during the length of a week about 290843 applications get released and usually at least one is worth 99 cents or free download so... err... no it's not too much to expect a good game every week.

panda21

is there a list of all the jpn games anywhere?

the only art style ones i remember reading about are hacolife and picopict but maybe there have been more since..

picross and yosumin would be nice

zigg

BooJoh said:
Early adopters have to deal with the slow trickle, but imagine how great VC/WiiWare look to new Wii owners right now.

For a handful of weeks, at least, till they've burned through the good stuff (if they can find it) and then end up on the same page as everyone else.

rpmurphy

Tiktaalik said:
Well with the App store during the length of a week about 290843 applications get released and usually at least one is worth 99 cents or free download so... err... no it's not too much to expect a good game every week.

Damn... how you search through all that?

Hobbun

panda21 said:

To be honest, once every couple of weeks would be good enough. I am just saying they could do it. But instead, it seems like special occasions, like every 100th game or actual holidays.

crowphoenix said:
No real rage on my part. It's more a bemused observance. :D

Pretty much the same way I feel about the DSi releases, as well. Not saying I wouldn't love to see good releases, but like I said in an earlier post, it's more of a bonus for me than a major factor of buying the DSi.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
crowphoenix said:
No real rage on my part. It's more a bemused observance. :D

it's got to be a little disappointing to not have blockbuster software out of the gates. nintendo is stupid not to have something amazing to tide people over. but, again, they'll coast by on the novelty of downloading ds games for a while and gauge how much people will pay for the least amount of content.

as boojoh says, the plight of the early adopter.

evilromero said:
I wouldn't put Brain Age Express in the same category as Master of Illusion Express--though it does make up for it by costing four times as much. It takes things that were in both previous retail releases, adds new things, and actually uses the DSi camera; whereas some of the other releases are just plain subsets of fuller products. It's not worth as much if you already have the original games, but at $8 for those versus $20 for one of the full retail games, I don't think either is poorly priced.

beelzebozo said:
maybe once i get a dsi i will share your rage, guys.
I'm happy just to finally experience the joy that is Nintendo's online support. Even after hearing people bitch about it for eons, one really has to experience it first hand to truly understand. Holy fucking hell, they have no clue.

Not everyone wants to shell out $10-20 a week on random quirky looking shit that probably doesn't come with much substance. Some people want to spend their money on something that they know will be worth it, I mean for most of this stuff there's no way to know if it's good unless you buy it-- which is why they desperately need some kind of demo system for the VC. And knowing that Majora's Mask is eventually going to be released, maybe as well as other games that we know we like for sure, I'm sure some of us don't want to waste those Wii points that have already been purchased, or will be purchased, for games that might be worth the money, but probably not.

That is ultimately the problem with the VC, at least from my experience.

zigg

JoshuaJSlone said:
I wouldn't put Brain Age Express in the same category as Master of Illusion Express--though it does make up for it by costing four times as much. It takes things that were in both previous retail releases, adds new things, and actually uses the DSi camera; whereas some of the other releases are just plain subsets of fuller products. It's not worth as much if you already have the original games, but at $8 for those versus $20 for one of the full retail games, I don't think either is poorly priced.

This is pretty much my feeling on BAE. It feels a little more like Brain Age 3, though not all the content is, of course, new. I dig it. I feel like if they're going to rehash, they could at least try a little harder like they did with BAE.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Son of Godzilla said:
I'm happy just to finally experience the joy that is Nintendo's online support. Even after hearing people bitch about it for eons, one really has to experience it first hand to truly understand. Holy fucking hell, they have no clue.

actually, i think they know exactly what they're doing. it's just not always so fun for the consumers who have high expectations for downloadable games. to the average schmuck who is just now becoming acclimated to downloading things to their mobile devices, the (presumable) garbage nintendo's releasing is quaint and will sell just fine.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
brandonh83 said:
Not everyone wants to shell out $10-20 a week on random quirky looking shit that probably doesn't come with much substance. Some people want to spend their money on something that they know will be worth it, I mean for most of this stuff there's no way to know if it's good unless you buy it. And knowing that Majora's Mask is eventually going to be released, maybe as well as other games that we know we like for sure, I'm sure some of us don't want to waste those Wii points that have already been purchased, or will be purchased, for games that might be worth the money, but probably not.

That is ultimately the problem with the VC, at least from my experience.

i take the advice of trusted fellows and ladies here in the v.c. download threads, who have never steered me wrong where recommendations are concerned. i listen to their advice, watch youtube videos, gauge that against my own proclivities, and make a purchase. it's worked 90% of the time. just waiting around for games you've already played makes the whole system really agonizing and boring, but if you poke around and have a little lewis and clark about you, you can double your enjoyment of the service, in spite of its shortcomings.

Top Bottom