• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Digital Downloads - April 2009 (VC/WiiWare/DSiWare)

Cheesemeister said:
Do you know how many games Nintendo is still likely to release on the Virtual Console? The answer: not many.

[NES] Pro Wrestling
[SNS] Super Play Action Football
[N64] Donkey Kong 64
[N64] Excitebike 64
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
[N64] Mario Party
[N64] Mario Party 2
[N64] Mario Party 3
[N64] Mario Tennis
[N64] Pilotwings 64
[N64] Super Smash Bros.

Everything else is either already released, licensed, Rare-owned, used a peripheral or on-board chip, or is JP-only. If the Wii has another 2.5 years to go, that's a long time to stretch out the few remaining titles.

So this one game a week deal is due to few game left that Nintendo can release?

rpmurphy

Ended up getting both Paper Plane and Clubhouse Games Express, and I like the latter more. Paper Plane just isn't clicking with me like Pyoro does. At least not yet. CGE is okay for quick vs. CPU games (I doubt I'll ever use the multiplayer).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cheesemeister said:
Do you know how many games Nintendo is still likely to release on the Virtual Console? The answer: not many.

[NES] Pro Wrestling
[N64] Donkey Kong 64
[N64] Excitebike 64
[N64] Mario Party
[N64] Mario Party 2
[N64] Mario Party 3
[N64] Mario Tennis
[N64] Pilotwings 64
[N64] Super Smash Bros.

Everything else is either already released, licensed, Rare-owned, used a peripheral or on-board chip, or is JP-only. If the Wii has another 2.5 years to go, that's a long time to stretch out the few remaining titles.

Forgot Pilotwings SNES.

Also all the lightgun games, that wouldn't be too much work for the most part.

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:

used a peripheral

I want Super Scope 6 games. Battle Clash and Metal Combat, please. :)

Cosmonaut X said:
Thanks - I've added it to the OP

For the new monthly thread, would the poster just wholesale copy the part of the OP outside of the VC/WiiWare/DSiWare sections? If so, is there any criteria for how long to keep stuff in those sections? For VC/WiiWare/DSiWare, they'd just bring over the last week's of data, right?

Thanks. :)

donny2112 said:
For the new monthly thread, would the poster just wholesale copy the part of the OP outside of the VC/WiiWare/DSiWare sections? If so, is there any criteria for how long to keep stuff in those sections? For VC/WiiWare/DSiWare, they'd just bring over the last week's of data, right?

Thanks. :)

I think what I'd suggest is something like this for the new May thread:

--------------------------------------------------

digidownloads_april2-1.jpg

This is a new combined monthly thread for all digital downloads on Wii and DSi. The OP will list the new releases each week over the month in all three main territories, but will also include notes on updated ratings, new game announcements and other news pertaining to the services. This is a work-in-progress, and any contributions or corrections for the OP would be most welcome.

------------------------------------------------

us2.jpg

VIRTUAL CONSOLE
  • Nobunaga's Ambition (SNES | 800pts) (27 April 2009)
WIIWARE
  • Cocoto Platform Jumper (Neko Entertainment | 700pts) (27 April 2009)
DSiWARE
  • Clubhouse Games Express: Card Classics (Nintendo | 500pts) (27 April 2009)
  • Paper Airplane Chase (Nintendo | 200pts) (27 April 2009)
The US Virtual Console and WiiWare catalogues are updated every Monday at 9am Pacific Time. The update schedule for DSiWare has not yet been finalised.

europe2.jpg

VIRTUAL CONSOLE
  • New PAL VC game
WIIWARE
  • Adventure Island: The Beginning (Hudson | 1000pts) (24 April 2009)
DSiWARE
  • Real Football 2009 (GameLoft | 800pts) (24 April 2009)
The European and Australasian Virtual Console and WiiWare catalogues are updated every Friday, although new titles are frequently available from around 11pm-12am GMT on Thursday. Updates alternate between services each week. The update schedule for DSiWare has not yet been finalised.

japan2.jpg

VIRTUAL CONSOLE
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES | 800pts) (28 April 2009)
  • Numan Athletics (Arcade | 800pts) (28 April 2009)
  • Youkai Douchuuki (Arcade | 800pts) (28 April 2009)
WIIWARE
  • Asobu Made in Ore (Nintendo | 800pts) (29 April 2009) (Link)
  • BIT.TRIP.BEAT (Ark System Works | 500pts) (28 April 2009) (Link)
  • Educational TV For Children (Home Media | 700pts + DLC) (28 April 2009 (Link)
  • Harvest Moon: Ranch Store (Marvelous | 1500pts + DLC) (28 April 2009) (Link)
DSiWARE
  • Ugoku Memo-chou Version 2 (Nintendo | Free) (27 April 2009)
The Japanese Virtual Console and WiiWare catalogues are updated every Tuesday. The DSiWare catalogue is updated weekly/fortnightly.

pr.jpg

PRESS RELEASES
VIRTUAL CONSOLE ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • Insert any new announcements in May here...
WIIWARE ANNOUNCEMENTS
DSiWARE ANNOUNCEMENTS
channels.jpg

Nintendo will occasionally make new Channels available through the Wii Shop, or update the system firmware of the Wii and DSi with new features. Any new Channels or updates will be listed here.

CHANNELS
  • Insert any new Channels here...
SYSTEM UPDATES
  • Insert any new system updates here...
ratings.jpg

The various national ratings organisations will occasionally provide advance notice of new releases and individual companies may announce forthcoming releases. These updates are listed HERE. As games are released in the corresponding regions, they will be removed from the lists.

links.jpg

(Thanks to donny2112, Cheesemeister, Shard, Somnid, JodyAnthony, Capndrake, inthegray, mrklaw, sfog, jesusraz and CaptainN)

--------------------------------------------------

The month should start like that with just the last set of releases in each region, then as new announcements are made or games unveiled (perhaps more unlikely in the case of Virtual Console - big announcements like the Virtual Console Arcade games list come along very rarely) the sections fill out.

I'd add a link to the previous months at the end as well, but would something like that be appropriate? It keeps the post lean and concentrates only on new announcements and releases.

Whoever owns the rights to the Wonder Boy series needs a slap in the face for giving the green light to put up two competing versions of the same game, one being slightly inferior and more expensive to boot. How on earth does that even make sense from a business standpoint?

Cheesemeister said:

[NES] Pro Wrestling
[N64] Donkey Kong 64
[N64] Excitebike 64
[N64] Mario Party
[N64] Mario Party 2
[N64] Mario Party 3
[N64] Mario Tennis
[N64] Pilotwings 64
[N64] Super Smash Bros.

I really doubt that Nintendo would not release the remaining SNES games that had carts with special chips (We did get SMRPG and Kirby's Dreamland 3 after all!) and Mother 1 already has a full English localisation that just wasn't released. Plus you've got Clu Clu Land D at the very least bringing up the import lineup.

Besides, this still doesn't excuse NOA for their crappy 1 VC game weeks!

donny2112

Cosmonaut X said:
I'd add a link to the previous months at the end as well, but would something like that be appropriate? It keeps the post lean and concentrates only on new announcements and releases.

So the announcement section gets cleared out at the end of the month, too. That seems fine to me. :)

On the UK dsiware site, a lot of the games are developed by Nintendo. Is this true?

Or are they just saying that, when its actually some 2nd party developer, or some game they now own in some way.

Are they EAD developed. If so I am downloading them now.

donny2112 said:
So the announcement section gets cleared out at the end of the month, too. That seems fine to me. :)

Yeah, I think it's the best way to do it. There's perhaps an argument for having some kind of archive of WiiWare/DSiWare announcements that is slowly cleared as games are released, but I don't think it needs to be in the OP - that should be for announcements made that month.

Somnid

Flying_Phoenix said:
So this one game a week deal is due to few game left that Nintendo can release?

Well that's for Nintendo, most other VC publishers like Sega and Hudson are probably looking about the same though nobody's sorted through those lists. There's also a higher interest in newer services like DSiWare so resources have gone there.

There is most definately less in the pipe as Japan is now averaging 1.5 games a week. But it's also silly to see users get upset at NOA over games that Japan doesn't even have. Most of the wish lists cover games that have no announcement of release in any region.

Flakster99

tetrisgrammaton said:
to be fair Nobunaga's Ambition is a good strategy game, and it's nice to see more KOEI support.

Completely agreed. Though, I wish KOEI would have given us the sequel instead, Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness, a much more refined, enjoyable experience. Heck, maybe they will further down the line after giving everyone a taste.

Oh well *goes and downloads Nobunaga's Ambition with glee*

Somnid said:
Well that's for Nintendo, most other VC publishers like Sega and Hudson are probably looking about the same though nobody's sorted through those lists. There's also a higher interest in newer services like DSiWare so resources have gone there.

There is most definately less in the pipe as Japan is now averaging 1.5 games a week. But it's also silly to see users get upset at NOA over games that Japan doesn't even have. Most of the wish lists cover games that have no announcement of release in any region.

Considering the fact that the rate of Wii Ware releases has also slowed to a crawl, there's no reason why NOA can't play a bit of catch up and release some of the (many) games that are currently on the Japanese VC and not on ours!

Lee N

Membre
tetrisgrammaton said:
Don't forget those Nintendo arcade games that they SHOULD be planning on releasing.
John Riccardi of 8-4 fame mentioned that his company has translated 30 or so manuals for those arcade games into english already, so they're definitely planning it.

The question is when.

Yaweee

Flakster99 said:
Completely agreed. Though, I wish KOEI would have given us the sequel instead, Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness, a much more refined, enjoyable experience. Heck, maybe they will further down the line after giving everyone a taste.

Oh well *goes and downloads Nobunaga's Ambition with glee*

Yeah, I'm surprised that they went with the original NA. The sequel(s?) is better, as is Liberty or Death. Hell, NA1 might be the worst of the 16-bit Koei strategic simulations.

Capndrake

Here's a bunch of WiiWare games rated by the USK that still need to come out in Europe:

-Cocoto Platform Jumper
-ColorZ
-Dragon Master Spell Caster
-Family Pirate Party
-Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
-Fish'em All
-Heracles: Chariot Racing
-Icarian: Kindred Spirits
-Karate Phants
-PictureBook Games: A Pop-Up Adventure (Likely the English name for this)
-Spaceball: Revolution
-Swords & Soldiers
-Water Warfare

dyls

Cocoto Platform Jumper (Neko Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Cartoon Violence, 700 Wii Points™): A long time ago in a faraway land, strange little creatures lived in the depths of Abyss. Cocoto, his little devil friends and the mysterious Fairy protect the secret of the magma — the source of their power — in a magic cauldron. Meanwhile, Zaron, the god of lightning who lusts after this force, is up to something. He can count on the rulers of the other kingdoms that Cocoto must cross. The tragic kidnapping of Shiny, Baggy and Neuro has left Cocoto alone to watch over the cauldron. Refusing to leave his friends, he will set out to find them with Fairy.

Anyone try this? I could go for a good platformer in advance of Klonoa.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dyls said:
Anyone try this? I could go for a good platformer in advance of Klonoa.

well it is a wiiware port of a euro-only ps2 platformer made by the guys who made crazy frog racer so you tell me how good it is :p

Man God said:
Also all the lightgun games, that wouldn't be too much work for the most part.

Really, if we were going to get lightgun support, wouldn't it be here by now? I'm sure Duck Hunt was considered, then dropped when Wii Play had a similar mode. The same goes for Dr. Mario on the NES and Super NES, as it's on WiiWare.

Luigison

Cheesemeister said:

[NES] Pro Wrestling
[N64] Donkey Kong 64
[N64] Excitebike 64
[N64] Mario Party
[N64] Mario Party 2
[N64] Mario Party 3
[N64] Mario Tennis
[N64] Pilotwings 64
[N64] Super Smash Bros.

Yes, but now they've found that they can sell parts of GBA and DS games for use on DSi instead of simply reselling entire games. There is still the potential for entire GB, GBC, and GBA games on the DSi. *Insert image: It prints money*

Also, you left out combos like SMAS, imports like the original Doki Doki Panic, and updates like Ocarina of Time / Master Quest.

I also remember an interview from before the Wii released that mentioned updates to classic games. I assumed they would eventually make Wii controlled classics.

I shouldn't even bring this up because it'd be like asking for a dozen chocolate filled golden ferraris but having some gun games via the Virtual Console Arcade would be sweeeeeet.
Get some Point Blank, Lucky & Wild(oh look here's a game that would be perfect for Wiimote + Nunchuck), Space Gun and so on.

But it'll never happen.

BooJoh

Luigison said:
Yes, but now they've found that they can sell parts of GBA and DS games for use on DSi instead of simply reselling entire games. There is still the potential for entire GB, GBC, and GBA games on the DSi. *Insert image: It prints money*
As long as they're selling minigames from WarioWare, I'd love to see my own two favorites, Skating Board and - most of all - Fly Swatter. Just remove the cursor and let us poke the bugs to death. Yeah yeah, I know... I'm part of the problem. :(

Luigison said:
I also remember an interview from before the Wii released that mentioned updates to classic games. I assumed they would eventually make Wii controlled classics.
Pokémon Snap?

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
Really, if we were going to get lightgun support, wouldn't it be here by now? I'm sure Duck Hunt was considered, then dropped when Wii Play had a similar mode. The same goes for Dr. Mario on the NES and Super NES, as it's on WiiWare.

I'd be fine with Battle Clash 3 on WiiWare, if they wanted to go that route. In the absence of that, Super Scope 6 ports would be acceptable. :D

Luigison said:
Also, you left out combos like SMAS, imports like the original Doki Doki Panic, and updates like Ocarina of Time / Master Quest.

All of which are unlikely. SMAS has had its component games released, Doki-Doki Panic has been released as SMB2 and is JP-only, and as for Master Quest, OOT has already been released.

t3nmilez

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I shouldn't even bring this up because it'd be like asking for a dozen chocolate filled golden ferraris but having some gun games via the Virtual Console Arcade would be sweeeeeet.
Get some Point Blank, Lucky & Wild(oh look here's a game that would be perfect for Wiimote + Nunchuck), Space Gun and so on.

But it'll never happen.

It's not too out of the question, I think. One of the launch titles for JPN Virtual Console Arcade had Wiimote support.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cheesemeister said:

See, I don't know, I think it would be an easy late gen revitalization.

Also considering they already did SMRPG, one of the harder SNES games to emulate, you should probably add stuff like Star Fox, Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings and their ilk to the list.

In fact the only game I could ever see Nintendo disqualifying for technical reasons on the SNES would be SFA2.

oatmeal

Banned
donny2112 said:
The stuff with April 27th next to them. You could also look under the PR section for NOA's press release for today.

Whoa so it's all announced ahead of time now? Or is the first page updated every monday?

Damn, I come back expecting the old system...and BAM! Change city.

Lee N said:
John Riccardi of 8-4 fame mentioned that his company has translated 30 or so manuals for those arcade games into english already, so they're definitely planning it.

The question is when.
I look forward to seeing all of 8-4's work on this by 2017.
Stumpokapow said:
well it is a wiiware port of a euro-only ps2 platformer made by the guys who made crazy frog racer so you tell me how good it is :p
I think this interview about the game unintentionally makes an even better case against it. :lol
Nlife: This game was originally released on the Playstation 2 and Gamecube consoles, how was it received at the time by gamers and the media?

Neko: The game has previously been released on several platforms, but only in Europe. We got only a few reviews, and most of them were rather positive. For example, in a major french video game magazine, we got a 12/20 rating. Our relatives, gamers and non-gamers alike, played the game and found it quite entertaining and addictive.
oatmeal said:
Whoa so it's all announced ahead of time now?
Three hours ahead of release, as before.

oatmeal said:
Whoa so it's all announced ahead of time now? Or is the first page updated every monday?

Damn, I come back expecting the old system...and BAM! Change city.

The OP is updated as new announcements are made and new games released in each region. The newest games are listed first, and the release dates can be found in parentheses after each title, together with system (for VC), publisher (for WiiWare/DSiWare) and cost.

I've been trying to keep the OP as up to date as possible, and I'm usually able to get new titles listed there within an hour or so of them going live in the Wii/DSi shops (although Japan is a little trickier, but they tend to have their schedule set at least a week in advance).

bmf said:
Pilotwings had a custom DSP.

I wouldn't imagine that the DSP-1 chip would be much of a hurdle. It's not like there aren't any current VC games that use special chips. For example, there didn't seem to be any issues with emulation the SA-1 chip for Super Mario RPG. There are dozens of NES games currently available on the VC that use MMC chips.

Somnid

I disagree with Cheese in that Nintendo doesn't want to release games that have hardware peripherals and chips but rather they extremely low in priority. Since they would take much more work to put out they will go for those last. Super FX games will absolutely come to VC but they will be towards the end of the SNES library. We can see this from the progression of VC releases from early launch to more sophisticated, then special chip games like Castlevania 3 and SMRPG and finally Expansion Pak games like Majora's Mask. It's only when they don't have anything left that they'll start expanding.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Considering the fact that the rate of Wii Ware releases has also slowed to a crawl, there's no reason why NOA can't play a bit of catch up and release some of the (many) games that are currently on the Japanese VC and not on ours!

Like what? I've pointed out that the vast majority aren't translated. Just because Japan has more doesn't mean they didn't have more games to begin with and a whole lot more Japanese publisher support. Activision just 2 weeks ago released it's first game, Commodore 64 games at least in the US started showing up a few months ago. Aside from that Interplay and Factor 5 are the only western publishers supporting it. Japan does have about 50% more games that the US but of those games something like 90% were never translated. Going back to even try and make them appealing enough to sell in the West will be very hard, especially when it's japanese language stuff that probably wasn't good enough to translate in the first place.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
man, POKEMON SNAP looks amazingly clean on my tv. i expected when it was blown up to 50" that it would be ugmo city, but it's quite the opposite really.

my one complaint is the camera movement in the levels. i didn't remember it having that "move to the edge of the screen to turn your vision" thing. it makes capturing good pictures quickly a little annoying. also, the classic controller L button doesn't seem to want to hold my aim when i compress it, though i may just be pussy-footing on it, and may need to really jam it down and hold it.

anyway, still, awesome game. "how's the size? . . . it's so-so. you were close."

So I was playing the plane game last night. Its quite simple, but very fun. Its like that helicopter game on flash game sites. I only managed 61 seconds. Nevertheless still satisfying.

Hobbun

Somnid said:
Like what? I've pointed out that the vast majority aren't translated. Just because Japan has more doesn't mean they didn't have more games to begin with and a whole lot more Japanese publisher support. Activision just 2 weeks ago released it's first game, Commodore 64 games at least in the US started showing up a few months ago. Aside from that Interplay and Factor 5 are the only western publishers supporting it. Japan does have about 50% more games that the US but of those games something like 90% were never translated. Going back to even try and make them appealing enough to sell in the West will be very hard, especially when it's japanese language stuff that probably wasn't good enough to translate in the first place.

I think the key phrase is "not translated". Somnid is right, the reason why Japan is getting a lot more is they basically have gotten a lot more games over the years than the other regions, period.

One of the things I really had hoped for was that Nintendo (or whomever the publisher is for such game or games) would take the time and money to translate them. But apparently the games put on the VC is only wanted done easily. I would have no issues paying the extra money to have them localized.

It just means we never will see games like Seiken Denetsu III, Bahamut Lagoon, Final Fantasy II, III and V or numerous other classics that never made it to NA (or other regions). Which really is disappointing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the thoroughbred said:
So I was playing the plane game last night. Its quite simple, but very fun. Its like that helicopter game on flash game sites. I only managed 61 seconds. Nevertheless still satisfying.

i don't own a dsi or the downloadable version of PAPER PLANE yet, but if it's more feature-rich than the WARIO WARE:MM unlockable, i must utter a reflexive "holy shit." PAPER PLANE is the perfect game for those few minutes before the movie starts in a theater when there's nothing else important going on, to flip on while you're waiting for everyone else to be ready to leave to go eat, to mess around with while you've got a few idle minutes. . . it's a game that requires skill, but not too much, has a nice simple but cool cartoon art style, and can be played and finished very quickly.

swerve

VOOK said:
Moving Memo 2 is out... DOWNLOADING NOW

*fap fap fap*

There's a bug in the copy-paste code which will likely mean a re-release in the next week or so.

It's awesome and liberating having the dual-layer editing, though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
swerve said:
There's a bug in the copy-paste code which will likely mean a re-release in the next week or so.

Ah so it's not me being a dumb westerner and not knowing how to do it. :lol

Top Bottom