• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Digital Downloads - April 2009 (VC/WiiWare/DSiWare)

BooJoh

zigg said:
For a handful of weeks, at least, till they've burned through the good stuff (if they can find it) and then end up on the same page as everyone else.
Well if money was not an issue then a person could do the same with the retail releases on any system too.

These aren't daily comics, they're video games, they take a bit more time to create. And while I agree that I'd rather they spend their time making new content than ripping old content from other games, it's just not realistic to expect a brand new Mario or Metroid game every week on DSiWare.

As for NOA sitting on finished games and not releasing them as they toss out rubbish from week to week? There's no excuse for that.

beelzebozo said:
i take the advice of trusted fellows and ladies here in the v.c. download threads, who have never steered me wrong where recommendations are concerned. i listen to their advice, watch youtube videos, gauge that against my own proclivities, and make a purchase. it's worked 90% of the time. just waiting around for games you've already played makes the whole system really agonizing and boring, but if you poke around and have a little lewis and clark about you, you can double your enjoyment of the service, in spite of its shortcomings.

I guess I'm just not as willing to spend money on something just because some people said that a particular game is good. I've taken GAF advice before and bought games that I thought were terrible, like Persona 4. So I don't have the GAF insurance like you do I guess. :lol

Also, I've not gotten too far in Majora's Mask which is why I'm anticipating it. I haven't really played much of it before. There are plenty of classics yet to be released that I would love to buy and play. It may seem crazy, but I would rather buy games that I know I like instead of Potentially Okay or Potentially Bad WiiWare Game #412.

But in the end I honestly wouldn't complain about any of this if they'd just release some fucking demos.

Bizzyb

Banned
Hobbun said:
The thing is, with all the consoles Nintendo has added to the VC, and of course including their own systems, they have more than enough games to bring us back week after week. All it has to be is one quality to great game a week. Not this once every 2-3 months BS.

Of course the problem with that is all they give us one game a week now (at least with the Wii VC).

I remember when Nintendo put out that picture of all the 3rd party companies they had on-board for VC (this was back before WiiWare and the added consoles) and I was thinking "HOLY CRAP! Between the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis we will have a shit ton of games to play. Damn Nintendo wants to kill my wallet...I better start saving up now."

And you know what? For a while good games were coming out; Super Metroid, Sonic 2, Link to the past, Mario bros 3, etc etc. I was even giddy when I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 the Arcade Game for the NES on the ERSB website...but then somewhere along the line, Nintendo said "fuck this shit, let's put out shitty games instead of good games and then, lets add MORE consoles, but then release MORE shit....and maybe put out a good one every now and then, and if we feel like it we'll throw out a top tier classic. Oh and While we are at it, let's stop releasing N64 games entirely. We can blame it on storage issues and then once we release Wiiware, blame it on that. That should make them suffer."

I mean how the hell did Nintendo manage to blemish this service so quickly?

JoshuaJSlone said:
I wouldn't put Brain Age Express in the same category as Master of Illusion Express--though it does make up for it by costing four times as much. It takes things that were in both previous retail releases, adds new things, and actually uses the DSi camera; whereas some of the other releases are just plain subsets of fuller products. It's not worth as much if you already have the original games, but at $8 for those versus $20 for one of the full retail games, I don't think either is poorly priced.

I won't lie, if they added like 2 new card games into Clubhouse I would buy it like that.

beelzebozo said:
actually, i think they know exactly what they're doing. it's just not always so fun for the consumers who have high expectations for downloadable games. to the average schmuck who is just now becoming acclimated to downloading things to their mobile devices, the (presumable) garbage nintendo's releasing is quaint and will sell just fine.
I was referring more to the way in which the store is supported than the actual quality of individual games. No demos, random descriptions, an assinine interface, completely arbitrary schedule without set updates. All in all just one hell of a half assed job.

As for the actual content... Nintendo is fucking high if it thinks anything on the store would motivate most people to ever buy points.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
brandonh83 said:
Also, I've not gotten too far in Majora's Mask which is why I'm anticipating it. I haven't really played much of it before. There are plenty of classics yet to be released that I would love to buy and play. It may seem crazy, but I would rather buy games that I know I like instead of Potentially Okay or Potentially Bad WiiWare Game #412.

But in the end I honestly wouldn't complain about any of this if they'd just release some fucking demos.

i know what you mean. i'm waiting for MAJORA'S MASK, too.

and yes to your second part, too. not having demos is crap.

brandonh83 said:
I guess I'm just not as willing to spend money on something just because some people said that a particular game is good. I've taken GAF advice before and bought games that I thought were terrible, like Persona 4. So I don't have the GAF insurance like you do I guess. :lol

Well, you've got to know who you're talking to. I personally love P4, and would recommend it if asked to a person that enjoys jRPGs. Gaf will recommend a lot of stuff.

This message was brought to you by "Don't Trust my Tastes."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if anyone recommended PERSONA 4 to me, i could watch thirty seconds of a youtube video and know it wasn't for me. i really think a little research and not taking anyone's advice 100% can save you a lot of trouble and money.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I wouldn't put Brain Age Express in the same category as Master of Illusion Express--though it does make up for it by costing four times as much. It takes things that were in both previous retail releases, adds new things, and actually uses the DSi camera; whereas some of the other releases are just plain subsets of fuller products. It's not worth as much if you already have the original games, but at $8 for those versus $20 for one of the full retail games, I don't think either is poorly priced.
You are part of the problem dancing banana man. ;)

zigg

BooJoh said:
These aren't daily comics, they're video games, they take a bit more time to create. And while I agree that I'd rather they spend their time making new content than ripping old content from other games, it's just not realistic to expect a brand new Mario or Metroid game every week on DSiWare.

And I'm certainly not expecting Mario, Metroid, an RPG, GTA, or whatever; that's the kind of thing I expect to go to the store and pay my $30 for and get it on a card. I'm rather happy with the notion of inexpensive, puzzly, quirky, small games—it's just that they're not coming. This is exactly the problem:

BooJoh said:
As for NOA sitting on finished games and not releasing them as they toss out rubbish from week to week? There's no excuse for that.

Bizzyb said:
I remember when Nintendo put out that picture of all the 3rd party companies they had on-board for VC (this was back before WiiWare and the added consoles) and I was thinking "HOLY CRAP! Between the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis we will have a shit ton of games to play. Damn Nintendo wants to kill my wallet...I better start saving up now."

And you know what? For a while good games were coming out; Super Metroid, Sonic 2, Link to the past, Mario bros 3, etc etc. I was even giddy when I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 the Arcade Game for the NES on the ERSB website...but then somewhere along the line, Nintendo said "fuck this shit, let's put out shitty games instead of good games and then, lets add MORE consoles, but then release MORE shit....and maybe put out a good one every now and then, and if we feel like it we'll throw out a top tier classic. Oh and While we are at it, let's stop releasing N64 games entirely. We can blame it on storage issues and then once we release Wiiware, blame it on that. That should make them suffer."

Do you blame them? It's pretty smart of them to spread profits out instead of blowing their loads. Gaming forum dude isn't going to convince them otherwise.

zigg

mentalfloss said:
Do you blame them? It's pretty smart of them to spread profits out instead of blowing their loads.

They did blow their metaphorical load on Wii disc games.

Besides, the complaint isn't even really that the good stuff comes out too spaced-out, but rather that it never comes. I don't think it's so far-fetched to fear that the U.S. DSiWare will end up looking similar.

Hobbun

zigg said:

Besides, the complaint isn't even really that the good stuff comes out too spaced-out, but rather that it never comes. I don't think it's so far-fetched to fear that the U.S. DSiWare will end up looking similar.

Well, I would disagree. Games have come out, it's just ages between quality releases. I mean there are a good selection of VC games on the system if someone was just starting now.

But I am trying to think the last VC game I bought, and I can't remember now. Oh wait, Ogre Battle, that's it. But when was that? It was well over a month ago. And the time before that was quite awhile.

Hobbun

Insaniac said:
oh well. *pops in Zelda's Collector disc in wii and plays MM*

Don't expect Majora's Mask for a few weeks yet.

We are at 297 right now, I believe. Everyone is guessing it will be the 300th release.

kswiston

I know this thread is mainly for bitching about the weekly lack of Majora's Mask, but how is Nobunaga's Ambition? Is it similar to Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms games?

dyls

I do wish there was a thread where we could just discuss the games that are on the system, rather than going over the same arguments week after week about what should be there.

Is it so much to ask that if the games provided each week don't excite you, that you just leave the thread rather than repeating the same complaints over and over again? I'm willing to just assume everyone is disappointed rather than have to slog through 60 posts a week about it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dyls said:
I do wish there was a thread where we could just discuss the games that are on the system, rather than going over the same arguments week after week about what should be there.

i just bring my occasional ramblings about whatever i'm playing to this thread. go back a few pages to see my PAPER MARIO love-in. but certainly i think the anticipation or disappointment for what is coming or what hasn't come takes up the majority of the thought here. i try not to think too much about what might be coming, rather trying to focus on what's there, and hunting down gems i have overlooked for so long.

zigg

billy.sea said:
What is the best multiplayer Wiiware game?

That's... a good question. I don't believe I've seen any that looked worth buying. (Some people have said something about Jungle Speed, I think?)

Bit.Trip Beat has a co-op mode but it's hard enough to concentrate on that game as it is, adding a second flailing paddle to the mix just about broke my brain :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hobbun said:
Don't expect Majora's Mask for a few weeks yet.

We are at 297 right now, I believe. Everyone is guessing it will be the 300th release.

It'll end up being game #301 just to screw with everybody.

beelzebozo said:
i just bring my occasional ramblings about whatever i'm playing to this thread. go back a few pages to see my PAPER MARIO love-in. but certainly i think the anticipation or disappointment for what is coming or what hasn't come takes up the majority of the thought here. i try not to think too much about what might be coming, rather trying to focus on what's there, and hunting down gems i have overlooked for so long.
That's what I started my blog for. So far, that mission has been a resounding success.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
crowphoenix said:
That's what I started my blog for. So far, that mission has been a resounding success.

why are you not on my blogroll?

and why can't i find a link to your blog?

let's join forces and eradicate this problem posthaste

beelzebozo said:
why are you not on my blogroll?

and why can't i find a link to your blog?

let's join forces and eradicate this problem posthaste
I have no idea. You're on mine. I posted it in that Pimp Your Blog thread. I'll pm you the link.

Tiktaalik

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh well I guess that leaves more time to work on the Virtual Console reviews for games I already own. *shrug*

Listen if we were interested in playing games we already owned we wouldn't be GAFers

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
crowphoenix said:
I have no idea. You're on mine. I posted it in that Pimp Your Blog thread. I'll pm you the link.

incredible, exhaustive work here, dude. that ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBORS post has me hankerin'. thanks for the link.

beelzebozo said:
incredible, exhaustive work here, dude. that ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBORS post has me hankerin'. thanks for the link.
Thank you. That one was hard to write because of how much I love it. :lol The bias just shines through.

evilromero said:
What? He can't post his blog link here? Why?

Anyways, ZAMN is great. I need to bring out my Genesis collection again.
Because I haven't built up a sizable body of work yet, and I'm still not fully confident that I can keep the schedule going. So I'm testing myself first.

mclem

zigg said:

What bothers me is this: There is a very good, somewhat obscure game that has just been released on the VC. It's an excellent game, although obviously not to everyone's tastes; it deserves to do well. No-one cares because it's not Majora's Mask.

I'll accept this sort of complaining on a week where the releases are bad, somewhat, but this is a *good* release - but because it's obscure, people are proclaiming "SHITTY WEEK!" from the rooftops. It doesn't deserve that.

But then, my attitude to the VC is not to get new copies of the games that I owned in the past that I already know are good, the real joy of the service is discovering games I'd never encountered before, huge reams of gaming that just passed me by.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the GOOF TROOP post also reminds me of the fact that shinji mikami is one of the most talented, eclectic game designers working today, or ever. drawing the direct line between GOOF TROOP and RESIDENT EVIL 4 is enough to make your head explode.

Bizzyb said:

Do you know how many games Nintendo is still likely to release on the Virtual Console? The answer: not many.

[NES] Pro Wrestling
[SNS] Super Play Action Football
[N64] Donkey Kong 64
[N64] Excitebike 64
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
[N64] Mario Party
[N64] Mario Party 2
[N64] Mario Party 3
[N64] Mario Tennis
[N64] Pilotwings 64
[N64] Super Smash Bros.

Everything else is either already released, licensed, Rare-owned, used a peripheral or on-board chip, or is JP-only. If the Wii has another 2.5 years to go, that's a long time to stretch out the few remaining titles.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
lolo 3 isn't up on v.c.

i mean, i know there will be holes in your list because you're not infallible, but c'mon man.

lolo.

Hobbun

Cheesemeister said:
Do you know how many games Nintendo is still likely to release on the Virtual Console? The answer: not many.

[NES] Pro Wrestling
[SNS] Super Play Action Football
[N64] Donkey Kong 64
[N64] Excitebike 64
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
[N64] Mario Party
[N64] Mario Party 2
[N64] Mario Party 3
[N64] Mario Tennis
[N64] Pilotwings 64
[N64] Super Smash Bros.

Everything else is either already released, licensed, Rare-owned, used a peripheral or on-board chip, or is JP-only. If the Wii has another 2.5 years to go, that's a long time to stretch out the few remaining titles.

Well, the thing is, there are a TON of great games that have not been released. And that they are licensed already is a poor excuse to me. They need to take care whatever needs to happen to be able to get permission to release them.

Games I would still like to see:

Crystalis
Faxanadu
Battle of Olympus
Dragon Warrior I-IV
Lufia 1 & 2
Soulblazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma (Yes, I know, never reached NA. But there is no reason it can't be released here, doesn't need to be localized as it did release in EU)
The Seventh Saga
Paladin's Quest

And that elusive Earthbound. Yes, I know all about the legal bullshit keeping it from coming here. But no fucking excuse in my book. Do whatever it takes to release it. Do the extra work to change the song. Just get it here.

And this is all I could think of off the top of my head. I know there is a lot more.

Hobbun said:
Crystalis
Faxanadu
Battle of Olympus
Dragon Warrior I-IV
Lufia 1 & 2
Soulblazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma (Yes, I know, never reached NA. But there is no reason it can't be released here, doesn't need to be localized as it did release in EU)
The Seventh Saga
Paladin's Quest

And that elusive Earthbound.

That's great, but you'll have to ask SNK, Hudson, Riverdeep and/or Ubisoft, Square-Enix, Taito, Natsume, and Paul McCartney.

Hobbun

Cheesemeister said:
That's great, but you'll have to ask SNK, Hudson, Riverdeep and/or Ubisoft, Square-Enix, Taito, Natsume, and Paul McCartney.

No, I don't, Nintendo does.

Besides, we already have had games released from several of these publishers for the VC, no reason why can't see the rest.

And as for Paul McCartney for Earthbound, that's why I said then they can change the song(s) for all I care, just get it released.

Top Bottom