• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct E3 2013 Presentation

Eh it was predictable but I can't lie Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Mega Man in Smash and Monolith Soft X were the highlights for me personally. Nintendo core franchises are a nice side dish, but personally I buy Nintendo consoles for the few 3rd party exclusives they get (I shit you not).

I'm kind of repeating myself here, but wasteland? I don't think it looks that bad.

Pretty decent string of releases starting in August IMO.
Decent doesn't sell consoles and decent doesn't fix a month where not being interested in a title means no game for you. If I'm not interested in, say, WWHD (because I beat WW and once was enough), then what fills the gap? A game available on a platform that I already own, and which will probably have the worst support due to the record-setting sales?

JoV

Some good games announced, but they are hardly going to move massive numbers of systems. And right now that is what the Wii U needs more than anything.

I cant help but feel this is a huge opportunity missed, and possibly the Wii U's last opportunity to establish itself in the market. Even with some good looking games on the way, am pretty bummed. All those 2014 release dates. Not good.

When is the Keighley-Reggie interview happening?

I'd like an honest answer from Nintendo about all these third party games that are getting released on everything but the Wii U, even the japanese stuff.

It already did. Reggie said pretty much the WiiU is for Nintendo games.

liger05

Reggie handled the questions well and pretty much said lack of third parties is down to low hardware sales. I still think there is a problem though even if hardware sales pickup as once current gen ports stop where does that leave the console? Ubisoft have been decent with the wii u support but the new next gen games announced yesterday had no wii u version.

Reggie talking about the other conferences and getting all the information to consumers was funny simply cos e3 2011 & 2012 Nintendo didn't tell us hardly anything about the wii u.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Decent doesn't sell consoles and decent doesn't fix a month where not being interested in a title means no game for you. If I'm not interested in, say, WWHD (because I beat WW and once was enough), then what fills the gap? A game available on a platform that I already own, and which will probably have the worst support due to the record-setting sales?

Ok.

My only point is "decent" does not equal a wasteland.

That's it.

Pleasant conference overall. Mario Kart, Smash, and Wonderful 101 look outstanding. Not much in the way of surprises outside of Mega Man in Smash (and what a surprise it was).

Going to pick up a Wii U when Super Mario 3D World hits - I loved the 3DS game.

Ok.

My only point is "decent" does not equal a wasteland.

That's it.

I guess I could have written that differently but I don't think the WiiU's situation is decent. If the scale is wasteland to decent then I'd say the WiiU is doing a bit better than Vita, and you can place Vita where you'd like.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing too crazy but they do have a lot of great games coming.

Mario Kart, X, Bayonetta, 101, Pikmin, DKCTF(Wise ftw), and Smash look amazing.

I wish they were a little bolder with Mario 3D World but its hard to doubt EAD Tokyo. Mario 3D Land didnt impress me at first but after like world 4, I truely felt how great it really was.

Also, I dont think thats the only game Retro is working on. 130 employees and I am sure they are using a lot of code from the first game.

The Giant

Banned
What's the bet that nintendo will do a direct at the end of the month and announced new games and stuff. Like they did last year with the 3ds xl?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It already did. Reggie said pretty much the WiiU is for Nintendo games.

Yeah I just saw the thread talking about it, although my two sentences weren't necessarily connected. I'd like to see somebody who matters at Nintendo answer the question honestly, and what they're doing to change it.

I'd like to hear Reggie talk about what he's doing as president of NOA to strengthen Nintendo's relationship with North American third parties but I think we all know the answer.

MrMephistoX

So dissapointing, from horrible lag during the broadcast to a distinct lack of any major single player content I came away completely underwhelmed. I love the 3DS but Ninendo is really half assing the Wii U. I didn't see anything aside from Bayoneta and X that couldn't be done in a lower res on 3DS and those arent even coming out this year. If this is all they've got why even bother making consoles anymore? Stick to the handhelds and make a super powerful portable next gen Nintendo.

PhantomR

Banned
Yeah I just saw the thread talking about it, although my two sentences weren't necessarily connected. I'd like to see somebody who matters at Nintendo answer the question honestly, and what they're doing to change it.

I'd like to hear Reggie talk about what he's doing as president of NOA to strengthen Nintendo's relationship with North American third parties but I think we all know the answer.

Well...he did answer the question. He said several times that it's up to Nintendo to drive the install base (ie sell more systems) so that Wii U will be an attractive proposition to 3rd parties.

The RIGHT question to ask (IMO) is if Nintendo has had discussion with publishers about Wii U from a technical perspective, and if that would be any hindrance to future potential support. It doesn't matter if Nintendo is able to miraculously sell 20 million Wii Us this year. if 3rd parties think the technical hurdle is too high, they sadly won't bring content over, which makes this another Wii situation. If this is the case, we all know who to point the finger at (hint: It's not Reggie)

GulAtiCa

Wasn't the 3DS XL announced in a ND directly after E3 ended last year? Shouldn't be too hard to imagine a new ND this weekend or close to it. Hmm. Strange to think I've only had my XL for a year now.

I doubt it will be a price cut, as that more seems like a thing they do this fall when bigger game content comes out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wasn't the 3DS XL announced in a ND directly after E3 ended last year? Shouldn't be too hard to imagine a new ND this weekend or close to it. Hmm. Strange to think I've only had my XL for a year now.

I doubt it will be a price cut, as that more seems like a thing they do this fall when bigger game content comes out.

A Nintendo Direct announcing the 3DSXL was released about 2 weeks after last years E3 IIRC.

Raw64life

Having no real surprises was disappointing, but I've been planning on getting a Wii U based on what I was expecting to be shown at this conference and I got pretty much exactly that. Now I just need a price cut and I'm in.

jwhit28

His answer was that all Nintendo can do is push the install base. If they build it they will come. As PhantomR put it so nicely.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Whoever designd their E3 site should have designed the eShop too. The game pages remind me of the way Steam is laid out.

The Direct basically confirmed I won't own a Wii U until Wii U until Bayonetta and X drop. 3D Mario was supposed to be the catalyst along with Retro's game, but I can easily wait for those and a nice price drop. THe 3rd party support is abysmal and what little there is (Ubisoft) seems like it will completely evaporate by next year when more next gen games start not being cross gen. Nintendo's games looked good, but the Nintendo that I grew up with would have 4 games on the level of X shown today and they seem to be resting on their laurels and while I'm sure those games will be great and fun there is definitely a disconnect between what I want from Nintendo and what they seem to be focusing in on. Also I've said it in other topics but they basically just killed themselves by not having Mario Kart for the holidays vs PS4/One.

I was hoping for more, TBH.

I kept expecting to be wowed by something throughout the Direct, and it just never came. While I love how Bayonetta 2 and X are turning out, there wasn't a single game or announcement in the entire hour that convinced me that I should go out and get a WiiU, or that the console's prospects are going to improve dramatically in general. Especially at Christmastime this year, without Mario Kart to lean on.

GulAtiCa

The Direct basically confirmed I won't own a Wii U until Wii U until Bayonetta and X drop. 3D Mario was supposed to be the catalyst along with Retro's game, but I can easily wait for those and a nice price drop. THe 3rd party support is abysmal and what little there is (Ubisoft) seems like it will completely evaporate by next year when more next gen games start not being cross gen.

You might be waiting a while until this happens. :p Perhaps in 4 years when they do a player choice thing.

THe 3rd party support is abysmal and what little there is (Ubisoft) seems like it will completely evaporate by next year when more next gen games start not being cross gen.

This was always going to be an issue even if they had another Wii on their hands IMO. The actual sales and future prospects certainly aren't helping, but still.

Saying this right now.

I honestly didn't expect anything particularly mind-blowing while catching up on the ND news; with a couple of exceptions.

As I predicted, they played it safe and yet, the 1st part games look really good.

Even Mario 3D World was impressive, both because of the new cat suit and it brings Peach and Toad into the playable roster instead of just two Toads.

Smash Bros U was as great as I hoped, and was surprised that we're having not only getting a 3DS version, but a Wii U one as well. Mega Man and the AC villager's inclusions were the highlight of the event, and I'm hoping we find out what other new characters might pop in. I do wonder why the trainer from Wii Fit needed to be playable, though.

-Wii Party U looks good.
-Pokemon X/Y had some cool new pokemon, including that bat thing! New type? OK. I just hope we have a couple of new Eeveelutions besides Sylveon.
-I really want to re-buy Wind Waker. I'll have to play it myself to see if the HD is worth it though, but I loved the original enough.
-I felt it was a little too soon for another Mario Kart, but no other complaints about that.

I was gonna say I was disappointed how Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is more of the same.
But after hearing in an interview that they're not only bringing one old Kong back but a new Kong (or some other playable character), I'm gonna shut up.

Overall, not a bad showing. But I agree that it's time for the Big N to really start some new IP. Or at least bring back some absent franchises like F-Zero.

The Direct basically confirmed I won't own a Wii U until Wii U until Bayonetta and X drop. 3D Mario was supposed to be the catalyst along with Retro's game, but I can easily wait for those and a nice price drop. THe 3rd party support is abysmal and what little there is (Ubisoft) seems like it will completely evaporate by next year when more next gen games start not being cross gen. Nintendo's games looked good, but the Nintendo that I grew up with would have 4 games on the level of X shown today and they seem to be resting on their laurels and while I'm sure those games will be great and fun there is definitely a disconnect between what I want from Nintendo and what they seem to be focusing in on. Also I've said it in other topics but they basically just killed themselves by not having Mario Kart for the holidays vs PS4/One.

They're not resting on anything. This is Nintendo's first HD console, unlike Sony and Microsoft. What they're doing right now is releasing games to increase the userbase. Even if the 3rd party support continues to be lackluster, it will bring MORE games to the system if the install base goes up. It's not like everyone is going to ignore a console with millions of owners, no matter how much people hope this happens. Nintendo will be #3 on their lists(behind Sony and Microsoft) instead of a "#whatever" which they currently are at.

beastmode

Not sure why so many are disappointed in the number of games coming to the Wii U. Assuming you own a PC the U gives you access to more good games than anything else.

one_kill

Not sure why so many are disappointed in the number of games coming to the Wii U. Assuming you own a PC the U gives you access to more good games than anything else.
- Some people are fatigued from Nintendo's franchises, particularly those who own a 3DS and played most of Nintendo's offering on the system.
- Some people are annoyed that not all of the games announced are 2013 releases.
- Some people just like to hate on Nintendo.
- Some people thought DKC:TF is a waste of time for Retro.
- Some people thought the Smash reveal didn't show enough new characters.
- Some people wanted to see "new" games, not games that was previously announced.
- Where's Metroid? Star Fox? F-Zero?

They're not resting on anything. This is Nintendo's first HD console, unlike Sony and Microsoft. What they're doing right now is releasing games to increase the userbase. Even if the 3rd party support continues to be lackluster, it will bring MORE games to the system if the install base goes up. It's not like everyone is going to ignore a console with millions of owners, no matter how much people hope this happens. Nintendo will be #3 on their lists(behind Sony and Microsoft) instead of a "#whatever" which they currently are at.

They ignored the gamecube for the most part with millions of users and that was on par with the rest of the generation's consoles.

Honest question here... Just got out of work and haven't been able to follow gaf but, what happened to the StarTropics "prophet"? Is he banned now?

Mlatador

Banned
Oh nice, I can post on Gaf again (first post of the day, LOL...)

Man, I LOOVED this Nintendo E3 direct!! It was just great!

- Super Mario 3D World looked damn amazing. At first I was a little dissapointed that it wasn't another "Galaxy" game, but then they said it's gonna be a 4 player title in a full-fledged 3D Mario - suuuweeet.
Eventhough I my streaming connection suffered from a lot of streaming compression, the grahics looked amazing. But I was most blown away buy the creativity. The cat-suit item! Hell yeah! : D

- I FUCKING CALLED IT! ^__^ OH YISS, a NEW Donkey Kong Country (Returns) game. FUCK YEAH!! I'm gonna Day 1 this soo hard. I mean, it's the follow up to Donkey Kong Country Returns - THE best 2D platformer EVER, BITCHES!! :)) *Please let motion controlls and motion rolling be in the game - not exclusively, but please let them be there *crosses fingers*. And for anyone else I hope they let you press a button to roll (so EVERYONE can be happy)

- Bayonetta 2?? Do I need to say more? Looked absolutely awesome!!! Never played Bayonetta, but I'm gonna get 2 copies (one to praise Kamiya-san ^^)

- Speaking of Platinum: Man, the more I see of The Wonderfull 101, the more I can't wait to get my hands on it. Isometrical views + Vietiful Joe + Pikmin = pure awesomeness. Also: 5 Player support!

- OMG - X!! X X X X!! So much X! HOLY SHIT, does that look good. I love how much efford they've put into the game - and it clearly shows. It's one the best looking games I've seen during this E3 (technically and artstyle-wise). This game blew me away much more than Final Fantasy Versus/VX (which I found to be very dissapointing)

- MARIO KART 8 - HOOLY shit!! And that running at 60 Fames per second?? I always wondered how the first HD Mario Kart would look like (and tried to picture it in my head), but that exceeded my expectations quite a bit. SOOO GOOD!!! :D

- And then Smash Brothers: How did they manage to show gameplay? I thought development of the game has only started half a year ago??? No matter how they did it, it looked FANTASTIC!

- PIKMIN 3 is a day 1 as well. Just beautiful!!

- Rayman Legends a day 1 too, of course...

- Sonic: Lost World is gonna be my Super Mario Galaxy fix, so everything is fine.

- ZELDA WINDWAKER HD - I think I'm not gonna get it... --- LOL! Of course I'm gonna get it, hahah - it looks FANTASTIC!!

- Wii Party U - looks fantastic also!

I'm curious about Batman Arkham Origins and Watchdogs, but need to see more to know if I really want them.

NEXT - Indie Games!

- Ballpoint Universe - might be great - will check that out
- Duck Tales Remastered - DAAAAAY 1 (of course)
- Dungeon & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - oldskool Capcom Arcade Beat'Em Up? It's already bought!
- Shovel Knight - definitely

All in all I'm really excited about all those games I've mentioned. I just hope Nintendo will get more japanese support in the future, though. "X" will probably satisfy my JRPG cravings pretty nicely (GOD, that looked sooo good), as well as Bravely Default, but something new from Sakaguchi and others would be greatly appreaciated as well.

Oh, and the "Wii U Developer Direct(s)" just rock!! :D

Herby

Neo Member
I watched it last night and honestly was pretty dissapointed.

I think Nintendo needed to come out stronger with more games we haven't heard about, even just a brief 'this is what we have on the horizon'.

That said some of the Wii U eShop games looked insane.

Uuuuuh no they didn't. GC had pretty good 3rd party support up until maybe its last 1.5-2 years.

Good compared to the Wii and Wii U right now, but GC's support was still bad especially considering how much support Xbox got and they sold the same amount

mj1108

For those complaining about a lackluster conference, you can pretty much thank all of the Nintendo Directs for that. Before the Nintendo Direct's, Nintendo would save the stuff in them for E3.

t's not like everyone is going to ignore a console with millions of owners.
They're already ignoring it. Take a look at the announcements from the few publishers that are providing third party titles this year.

Warner Brothers Interactive:
Dying Light (PC, PS3, 360, PS4, XB1)
Mad Max (PC, PS3, 360, PS4, XB1)

Ubisoft:
The Crew (PC, PS4, XB1)
Tom Clancy's The Division (PC, PS4, XB1)

Square-Enix:
Final Fantasy XV (PS4, XB1)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4, XB1)

Activision:
Diablo 3 (PS3, 360, PS4)
Destiny (PS3, 360, PS4, XB1)

They will release games they think appeal to the audience (they perceive) Nintendo cultivates: Just Dance 2014, Scribblenauts Unmasked, Skylanders. But they aren't bring AAA games targeted at traditional "core" demographics to the system.

Top Bottom