• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Feb 13, 2014 Thread | 3DS/Wii U Spring games

They also had Monster Hunter 4, which is early 2015 - so spring was more vague than anything. There's no WiiU games after next week until May 30th.

Jesus christ...that's shameful. I know HD is hard and stuff, but c'mon Nintendo. You've only been having droughts on your consoles since 1996, after all. I feel bad for people who only game on Nintendo consoles. But then again, I guess there aren't too many of those left at this point.

oatmeal

Banned
I wonder what their teams like Retro and Next Level are thinking right now. Seeing how horrible the system is doing but being unable to say anything.

I can't imagine that's a good working environment.

I wonder what their teams like Retro and Next Level are thinking right now. Seeing how horrible the system is doing but being unable to say anything.

I can't imagine that's a good working environment.

Either they're making fantastic Wii U games with the attempt of partially turning things around, or they're already in the process of developing launch games for the next Nintendo console. I guess we'll find out at E3.

MYE

Nintendo fans looking forward to E3 are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment.

People seem to have forgotten that Nintendo didn't even have a conference last E3.

Next E3, Nintendo is going to focus all its efforts on 3DS and the QoL system. Do people think Nintendo would not actively try to dissociate itself from the failure that is the WiiU at a conference introducing a new platform?

I expect Zelda HD, NFC stuff, More X, More Bayonneta 2, DS games on Wii U, more cheap rom hacks in a hushly put together tNintendo Direct

The conference will be wholly dedicated to 3DS and QoL. Maybe this will wakeup the remaining blind fanboys to the fact that WiiU is dead to even Nintendo.

II honestly do not see myself investing in another Nintendo console with the current leadership at the helm.

Wat

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People seem to have forgotten that Nintendo didn't even have a conference last E3.
Does that really matter? We missed out on fanboy journalists whooping and possible mistakes with on stage demonstrations. Content wise there was little difference between presenting it as a live conference or as an E3 Direct.

Scrawnton

I thought the direct was damn good. I'm still not thrilled about the drought we are about to go through again this year.

Maybe it's time to put sonic and w101 in my gamefly queue.

Nintendo fans looking forward to E3 are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment.

Next E3, Nintendo is going to focus all its efforts on 3DS and the QoL system. Do people think Nintendo would not actively try to dissociate itself from the failure that is the WiiU at a conference introducing a new platform?

I expect Zelda HD, NFC stuff, More X, More Bayonneta 2, DS games on Wii U, more cheap rom hacks in a hushly put together tNintendo Direct

The conference will be wholly dedicated to 3DS and QoL. Maybe this will wakeup the remaining blind fanboys to the fact that WiiU is dead to even Nintendo.

II honestly do not see myself investing in another Nintendo console with the current leadership at the helm.

haha-no-o.gif

Someone needs to learn that people can have different opinions and be adult about it.

TDLink

I'm having some fun with the new Steel Diver (and I hated the original) so overall I'm pleased with the Direct dropping that. Overall the 3DS lineup continues to be strong. Bravely Default, Layton, Steel Diver, Inazuma 11, the last Guild 01 game, Mario Golf, Kirby, Yoshi, and Layton vs Ace Attorney makes for a pretty damn solid first half of the year lineup. And I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few games in there.

On the Wii U front I'm pretty annoyed with Nintendo. After Donkey Kong there is just NES Remix 2 until the last day of May. Really? I just don't know how Nintendo let their be a drought again. To their advantage, PS4 and XBONE are also going through massive droughts...but this should not be happening to a system in its second year of release. And I'm not talking about third party support, just first party. They couldn't even fast track another Gamecube HD remake like Wind Waker? It is just really...weird. And bad.

I know at this point Nintendo is waiting until E3 for reveals of the next round of games, but it really would have been nice for them to at least drop something else that is coming before Mario Kart.

I'm actually moving to Australia for a year next week and this Direct was the deciding factor to if I was going to bring my system with me and buy games there digitally. I can now safely say that I won't be doing that. Bayo 2, Smash, and X all look great. But they also all have no release date beyond "2014", which I know likely means holiday season at this point. Maybe Bayo 2 will release September like W101 last year, but that is still pretty late in the year. By time these three games are out I'll already be coming back. The only thing I'm going to have to wait on is fucking Donkey Kong. The Wii U release schedule is just pitiful right now.

I'm still looking forward to what they announce at E3, but since we seem to know most of this holiday's games I expect most of the stuff announced there won't even come until around a year from now at the earliest.

But hey, like I said. 3DS is still looking great. And with a great year last year and a great first half this year, I'm looking forward to what surprises they have in store for it in the second half too. I already am sure Persona Q is a strong contender, at least.

You've moved me.

I think it's time to sell my Wii U.

spekkeh

Banned
Theyre not going to try a comeback at E3, because they're not going to develop any new games for the system aside from the ones announced. They can space these out three months in between and then release the new console in 2016, a respectable four years after the U. Everything is now in service of keeping losses down and not alienating their last fans.

Scrawnton

Theyre not going to try a comeback at E3, because they're not going to develop any new games for the system aside from the ones announced. They can space these out three months in between and then release the new console in 2016, a respectable four years after the U. Everything is now in service of keeping losses down and not alienating their last fans.
If you're insinuating they're only going to space out the games we currently know about and drop future Wii U projects, I think you're insane. There will still be secret games to be announced.

Nintendos next system will be a failure for sure if they're seen as a company that barely supports their own platforms.

The Wii U lineup for the first half of 2014 is amazing. Seems like even Nintendo has given up.

Have you seen January 2014 NPD sales for Wii U? They're essentially identical to Nintendo's disastrous January 2013 NPD performance. Despite all of that marketing in the 2013 Holiday season, nothing has changed. The Wii U is right back where it started.

So why would Nintendo focus on a platform like that when they can leverage existing successes like the 3DS and focus on QoL / what's next for the company?

Unfortunately I do see that as a very real possibility...that Mario Kart + Smash Bros. + Bayonetta 2 + X will remain the only major hardcore 1st-party games supporting the Wii U throughout December 2014.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - February

Mario Kart - May

Bayonetta 2 - August

X - October

Smash Bros. - November

Zelda - 2015

^ Something like that.

RetroGreg

I know I've said this before, but Nintendo gamers really need to tag team between handheld and console. There's definitely enough content between the two to keep busy with.

That being said I'm hopeful they do go to a one platform experience with their next offering because then I think it could be fully fleshed out. They're just not big enough to support two platforms essentially by themselves.

There's also more to the QOL stuff than we might suspect because I remember them saying DS was the third pillar and look how that turned out. They're hoping to diversify out of gaming and do something to cash grab casual users based off of the Wii Fit success. I don't blame them. Both their handheld and console businesses are facing an extreme uphill battle going forward. Consolidate games and diversify. That's their best strategy and I'm fine with it. I'd rather buy one platform anyway.

Edit for grammar - phone post :-/

Agreed, especially if you include pseudo announced titles such as Zelda, SMT x FE and ,,Miyamoto gamepad title''. That's pretty much gonna be it at the end, outside of some surprise eshop titles and maybe a couple of more cash grabs like Luigi 3D World or similar shit. I guess some corners in the internet gonna keep insisting on secret lineups at ,,next Direct/E3'' until the console's death though, lol
At latest, after Mario Kart falls flat the development of potential unannounced WiiU titles will shift to another platform.

Nintendos next system will be a failure for sure if they're seen as a company that barely supports their own platforms.

lol That ship has sailed, man. They dropped the Wii 2 years too early and WiiU soon has another one and a half years of droughts to show off. All they can do now is somehow finish a 4 year alibi generation for this failed product and then start all fresh next gen, trying to sweep the Wii brand under the carpet.

ozfunghi

What??? I think itll be more like 10 or less games for its entire lifespan

I own 13 retail games, and i'm still planning on getting SM3DW and Lego City of the games already out. Double that number when including e-shop and VC games. If you only own a WiiU and don't have too much spare time and rather go quality over quantity, there is more than enough on WiiU to keep you busy.

ozfunghi

Unfortunately I do see that as a very real possibility...that Mario Kart + Smash Bros. + Bayonetta 2 + X will remain the only major hardcore 1st-party games supporting the Wii U throughout December 2014.

He was talking about the console's lifetime, not just about 2014. If they in fact did this, they can kiss my support goodbye. I've supported them for over 23 years now. If they let the console die like that, i'm out. I might consider picking up their hardware for cheap near the end of a generation, but no way am i going to pay full price again on launch day. Unless i get a 50% discount as an early WiiU adopter. Ahaha.

Kid Ying

Have you seen January 2014 NPD sales for Wii U? They're essentially identical to Nintendo's disastrous January 2013 NPD performance. Despite all of that marketing in the 2013 Holiday season, nothing has changed. The Wii U is right back where it started.

So why would Nintendo focus on a platform like that when they can leverage existing successes like the 3DS and focus on QoL / what's next for the company?

Mario Kart - May

Bayonetta 2 - August

X - October

Smash Bros. - November

Zelda - 2015

^ Something like that.
I disagree with you that just gave up. On this direct they just announced a new sku, a sequel to just dance, which were big sellers on Wii and a retail release for nes remix (where we know after how luigy u sold that might be a good seller) and thats all before mario kart. They are certainly trying. Evert Monty nintendo is releasing something in Japan.

This is probably the saddest realisation to come out of the Wii generation.

The last two years of Wii really tarnished the brand. If they weren't already before, Nintendo consoles are now completely untrustworthy to get any consistent flow of games or any substantive third-party support.

Shows Action Beat'em up
Shows Soccer Simulator/Managing/Whatever
Shows PokeCrush game
Shows Contemplative FPS
Shows Platformers
Shows RPGs
Shows Dungeon Crawler
Shows Indies
Shows Golf
Shows Kart Racing
Shows SSB

"They only do platformers!!!"

It just felt like the big releases were based so much on platforming. I shouldnt have said "completely," but it did seem like they were the most prominent genre.

Who would of thought that last year January Nintendo had effectively revealed their 2013 and 2014 lineup and even some of there 2015 lineup.

Also Mario Kart on May 30th.

So what thats like a 3 month gap between DK and MK with what in between?
Where was Hyrule Warriors?

Yagami_Sama

They probably will show it in the next Direct. Given the attention the game got, I'm sure they want to show a fairly stable and nice looking build next

No train crashed here. If none of these games(including Mario Kart 8) were enough to hold your attention for a few moments, you're looking at the wrong system.

It is not the point of if the games caught my attention or not. Any one asked but, I got 2 Wii U, one Japanese and US one. So I am not looking at the wrong system. I just expected more content for Wii U, and by that I mean, Nintendo content. The games showed in the direct was games that we know that will come to the console, since quite a long time ago.
And just meant that, one or two new titles, or showing something new for Shin Megami Tensei Vs Dire Emblem would be better.

Who would of thought that last year January Nintendo had effectively revealed their 2013 and 2014 lineup and even some of there 2015 lineup.

Also Mario Kart on May 30th.

So what thats like a 3 month gap between DK and MK with what in between?
Where was Hyrule Warriors?

gatdayum..i really thought nintendo had more in the pipeline than this. i know they've had droughts in the past with previous consoles, but this time it somehow seems worse than ever before. maybe our expectations are higher these days? all i know is so far this year looks barren as fuck. i really can't comprehend anyone being a nintendo exclusive gamer these days, when even 10 years ago I'd say that was still a possibility.

gatdayum..i really thought nintendo had more in the pipeline than this. i know they've had droughts in the past with previous consoles, but this time it somehow seems worse than ever before. maybe our expectations are higher these days? all i know is so far this year looks barren as fuck. i really can't comprehend anyone being a nintendo exclusive gamer these days, when even 10 years ago I'd say that was still a possibility.

You can still be one but your going to miss some of the best games of each gen.

Mario Kart - May

Bayonetta 2 - August

X - October

Smash Bros. - November

Zelda - 2015

^ Something like that.

X will come out in 2015. Zelda is probably moving to their next console or will be released on both like Twilight Princess. Hyrule Warriors is what they will use as their big Fall 2014 title.

Wii U should at least get some mercy games like nba. nfl, mlb and fifa at least. it is not fair to people who own this. This games were expected on every system.

Linkhero1

As a Wii U owner since day one, I've believed that they would be able to turn things around. That belief cracked and finally shattered with this Direct. I'll enjoy whatever is left for the system, but I have no hopes for much. Third parties have abandoned the system and Nintendo has long gaps between releases. It's a waste land.

I am not disappointed for that reason, but I am disappointed that we didn't get much announcements for the 3DS. Where the hell is the heavily hinted Majora's Mask remake Nintendo?

Riposte

Including what they announced so far, I wouldn't even feel burned by the Wii U if all we got was a console Monster Hunter 4 and maybe one or two other titles I really like (namely, another Platinum one). The thought that it may not even get that far is quite troubling though.

Sandfox

X will come out in 2015. Zelda is probably moving to their next console or will be released on both like Twilight Princess. Hyrule Warriors is what they will use as their big Fall 2014 title.

X will probably make it out this year and Smash is going to be the big Fall title.

I think its smarter for Nintendo to just not greenlit Wii U games outside of the NFC titles coming(which I'm kinda expecting to be digital) and invest their money into other things.

As a Wii U owner since day one, I've believed that they would be able to turn things around. That belief cracked and finally shattered with this Direct. I'll enjoy whatever is left for the system, but I have no hopes for much.

Riposte said:
Including what they announced so far, I wouldn't even feel burned by the Wii U if all we got was a console Monster Hunter 4 and maybe one or two other titles I really like (namely, another Platinum one). The thought that it may not even get that far is quite troubling though.

Sandfox said:
I think its smarter for Nintendo to just not greenlit Wii U games outside of the NFC titles coming(which I'm kinda expecting to be digital) and invest their money into other things.

It's so sad that we fans are resigned to not only propping up this poor excuse for a platform, but we're also so accepting that Nintendo has no incentive to even keep us happy with any more games than have been promised.

It'll be interesting to see who has the courage/blind faith to adopt their next platform early.

Mario Kart - May

Bayonetta 2 - August

X - October

Smash Bros. - November

Zelda - 2015

^ Something like that.

I'm not quite as pessimistic about the WiiU as some posters.

You have missed out Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom and Yarn Yoshi for starters and I also think we will see the reveal of Mario Galaxy 3 and a new Metroid from Retro along with Zelda and Miyamoto's new game at E3. The main reason for the lack of new game announcements at the Directs is that they must keep ammunition for this years E3.

Those four announcements would give them 4 big exclusive game releases for 2015 at which time they would start seriously looking at software development for the new home console which they would reveal at E3 2016 and release in Nov 2016.

I don't think there is any chance that Nintendo release only Zelda for WiiU in the whole of 2015. If that was the case they might aswell just drop the console now and release Zelda as a cross gen launch game for their next console in late 2015.

I don't think that's realistic though because in terms of both hardware and software development, late 2016 is the absolute earliest launch games would be ready (late 2017 is much more realistic). Even if by some miracle their new console was ready for late 2015, I doubt most people would be interested in another instalment of their main franchises so soon after the WiiU versions.

I thought they just confirmed X was coming in 2014 again?

They probably did and it might be coming out this year but knowing how these things work (especially HD JRPG development) I have big doubts of it hitting this year. Besides Iwata is gonna want to delay something to pad out 2015.

Mario Kart - May

Bayonetta 2 - August

X - October

Smash Bros. - November

Zelda - 2015

^ Something like that.

Did they say when their NFC thing was coming out? I know it's meant to be at E3 but not sure if it's 2014.

RpgN

I disagree with you that just gave up. On this direct they just announced a new sku, a sequel to just dance, which were big sellers on Wii and a retail release for nes remix (where we know after how luigy u sold that might be a good seller) and thats all before mario kart. They are certainly trying. Evert Monty nintendo is releasing something in Japan.

You call that trying? The comment that was given didn't say there weren't going to be new games announced. Of course there will be new games, but they're probably going to be safe investments, cheap games and spaced out.

Nintendo is going to do what Sony did with the Vita. They both can support the platform better with big AAA games, but they're not going to bother investing in a system that will not provide enough sales. What Nintendo has against it though, is that they didn't react quickly and they couldn't convince third parties to put some games on the Wii U. Sony went after niche third parties and indies to give the impression that the system is still healthy. Somehow it worked and those type of games are selling good enough. It will be more difficult for Nintendo to do that.

All things are pointing out to the comment you was disagreeing with. I can see the 5 games showcased in this Direct for 2014 and early 2015. Then they have their other announced games like Yarn Yoshi, SMTxFE, new Sonic and Hyrule Warriors to fill out the rest of 2015. There will be new games announced here and there that are cheap to make and don't take a long time like HD release or something similar to nes collection. The new Zelda might still come along with another big game to release as the last big games from them. Unless Nintendo is panicking so much, to the point of willing to put the new Zelda on a different system.

This might sound too bleak. We'll just have to wait things out and see how Nintendo will get out of this one. I don't think they're willing to risk this.

They support their handhelds better than anyone else supports any of their respective platforms, though.

You can't really compare Nintendo's platforms to Sony or MS though. Yes, Nintendo produces more software for 3DS than Sony does for PS4, but it doesn't add up. Sony and MS have substantive third-party support.

Not all RPG makers are Square Enix.

Isn't the lack of JRPG's this past gen a result of Japanese game developers struggling with HD development and HD development costs? Theres a reason why they are only now getting around to announcing Persona 5 and other big name Jrpgs.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You can't really compare Nintendo's platforms to Sony or MS though. Yes, Nintendo produces more software for 3DS than Sony does for PS4, but it doesn't add up. Sony and MS have substantive third-party support.

Well, yeah. But it seems to me that we were talking about first and second-party stuff, since Scrawnton was talking about Nintendo "not supporting their own platforms".

They can't make third-party games themselves :p

Top Bottom