• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

The good thing about this so so Direct is that they literally got all the remaining Wii U and 3DS stuff out of the way so now everything they announce from now on would be either about mobile stuff or N X

Nope. There's stuff that's pretty clearly coming over that wasn't touched on, like Box Boy 2 and 3D Picross 2.

RPGCrazied

I guess Zelda really is the last Wii U game. Oh well, go out with a bang I guess.

Star Fox maybe, but Paper Mario... eh, not really liking it so far.

JazzmanZ

Great Direct! Lovin the new Mario Maker deets and new Kirby! Rhythm heaven + coming over is also a huge plus!

I'll remain optimistic about Paper Mario for now, and star fox seems to be shaping up more nicely.

Alright, just watched the direct. Main impressions follow:

- Star Fox looks promising and may actually turn out to be a good game after all
- Lol @ "sharp FE" name
- Good to see a new standalone Paper Mario game in development
- Rest of Wii U lineup seems par for the course
- Nice to have confirmation for SNES on 3DS VC though it seems like they will release games in this bothersome trickling fashion
- Glad to see more of DQ VII but no release date - come on!
- Monster Hunter Generations, okay
- RHYTHM HEAVEN MEGAMIX YUS
- Federation Force looks good, but I've been on that boat since June of last year
- New Kirby game, props to those who called it

Overall happy with this direct, especially given the fact that it was for late spring / summer releases and all of these will presumably come out pretty quickly.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
God, this was awful. Why has Nintendo sunk so far?

lol, you act like as if you are interested in Nintendo games in the first place.

Quoting myself from the predictions I did yesterday. Bolding the ones I actually nailed and wow I actually nailed most of them! Wich is kinda sad in this case though : / Not a very good Direct IMO.

They did said they are covering games for release soon. Feels like you are self manufacturing the disappointment.

Zalman

Loved this Direct. New game announcements and localizations. Couldn't ask for more at this point really. 3DS is going out with a bang, and there are still a couple of Wii U games I'd like to get.

spliced

The games looked solid but they feel a bit stale, at least one of these games could have been a new IP. I feel like Nintendo thinks these IP are selling the games but I think the quality of the product has a lot to do with it and they could have success with something new when it has that level of quality.

M-PG71C

Man, the salt is real. I thought it was pretty good overall, but I also kept my expectations in check too.

+ Disney Art Academy looks great. My wife will love drawing Lion King and Little Mermaid stuff on it.
+ New Kirby games and Amiibo! Awesome! Can't get enough traditional Kirby.
+ StarFox actually looks good. I'll be playing it.
+ Fuck the haters, I look forward to Paper Mario. It's not the traditional one, but it still looks great.
+ Rhythm Heaven.

- SNES 3DS VC. I have a New 3DS. But I'm not going to buy this shit again when I already have it on the Wii U VC.
- I was hoping to hear about Mother 3.

Griffe316

The games looked solid but they feel a bit stale, at least one of these games could have been a new IP. I feel like Nintendo thinks these IP are selling the games but I think the quality of the product has a lot to do with it and they could have success with something new when it has that level of quality.
Why would they waste a new IP on dying hardware when they could use them on NX?

The good thing about this so so Direct is that they literally got all the remaining Wii U and 3DS stuff out of the way so now everything they announce from now on would be either about mobile stuff or N X

"You thought you knew everything about our 2016 line-up, but here's a few surprises!"

*a few surprises happen*

"Ok, now you know everything about our 2016 line-up."

Anth0ny

Honestly, that direct was incredibly boring.

they basically went over the lineups for their two dying platforms while completely ignoring the new hotness that probably all their manpower is focused on at the moment

if the next direct/e3 where nx is present is boring then we have a serious problem

Gsnap

Pretty nice news. Splatoon and Mario Maker are the gifts that keep on giving. Star Fox looks nice, and star fox guard looks really fun. New Paper Mario looks like sticker star, so I'm definitely iffy on that. But it at least takes place in a new world, so if we're lucky they'll offer up an enjoyable story. Doesn't look that way though. : / And federation force continues to look better than people give it credit for.

casiopao

Really nice Direct.

More info on Federation Force which is going scratch all that FPS itch on 3DS.^~^

Rhythm Heaven, Kirby Gundam, Macross #FE, Star Fox looking great,and of course DQ and MHGen. I am filled up here.^~^

treason

Federation Force looks really good to me im going to pick it up .

and wow at those leaks being 100% accurate . i wonder if the leaker has any nx info

It was a decent direct, didn't expect much from it but it did its purpose.

Now that it's out the way, the next one (if there is one before E3), will definitely be NX focused, which is exciting.

TDLink

The Direct was fine. I don't know what people expected.

They went over every single game we've had announced up to this point, some of which we have gotten barely anything on since E3 or release was being doubted (Star Fox, Federation Force, #FE) and didn't spend much time promoting games we've already heard a lot about (Twilight Princess and Pokken).

On top of that we got:

• New localization announcements (Generations and Rhythm Heaven)
  • A new character announced for Hyrule Warriors...that is coming for free
  • New game announcements (Kirby, Mario Vs DK Amiibos, and Paper Mario)
  • New Amiibo
  • Starfox Guard, which is somewhat surprising
  • SNES games on the n3ds VC

All of that sounds great. Seriously, what were people expecting before E3? This is much better than the low expectations option of they talk about TP, Pokken, and Star Fox for 30 minutes.

As for the individual announcements...
  1. I think Federation Force still looks awful.
  2. Star Fox could be good but I'm very worried about the controls.
  3. Paper Mario looks potentially disappointing like Sticker Star.
  4. I'm pretty disappointed there doesn't seem to be a post-release plan for Pokken.
  5. I am also disappointed there doesn't appear to be a plan to offer the Legends content to Wii U owners...unless they buy Legends and then they get some of it. That whole thing is just weird...plus Medli -is- coming to Wii U. So who knows what's going on there.
  6. Charging people again for 3DS VC is fucking atrocious. No cross-buy should not be happening now that accounts are here

So overall I'm not very happy with the content present in the direct...but I still think the Direct was good. Nintendo showed all they have for 3DS and Wii U basically and what they have is quite considerable. It just also all is stuff that isn't sitting right with me.

A new Kirby game, good. :D

Sad to see Paper Mario is now considered an AA instead of RPG genre. Well we still have M&L.

What disappointed me the most is the lack of new information about My Nintendo service. Are they really going to launch it this month?

Nerrel

- Federation Force looks good, but I've been on that boat since June of last year

pool-billiards-play-better-life-raft.jpg

SegaShack

Did they take out the multiplayer aspect for Project Guard? The whole idea was some players looked at the radar and another who couldn't look at the screen controlled the cameras/shot. It seems like that whole interaction is now gone.

So Nintendo really is super leaking now huh? I mean that leak was on point, and after what happened with Pokemon and the 3ds release schedule I wonder if real NX details will get leaked soon.

I can see why people are upset about no cross buys for the SNES games on 3DS/Wii U but I'm hoping they'll fix this on their new system(s)

But also...ya'll really want to play these games AGAIN? We've been playing the same damn games for 20+ years now, enough.

GamerJM

Banned
Just watched the Direct. It was pretty good, better than I was expecting honestly. This seems to be one of the most packed years for Nintendo the year they release a new console. If they supported the Wii/DS like this in 2011-2012 they'd probably have better momentum going into the Wii U. There's a bunch of games I want to get, especially on the 3DS now.

I'm glad I spoiled Paper Mario Sticker Star 2 for myself going in, that way I didn't have to experience the crushing disappointment that I would have felt throughout the whole thing.

they basically went over the lineups for their two dying platforms while completely ignoring the new hotness that probably all their manpower is focused on at the moment

if the next direct/e3 where nx is present is boring then we have a serious problem

Absolutely. Nintendo needs to give it their all at E3 this year. I've been all right with the digital events for the three years it's been present, but I'm going to be a bit concerned if they don't announce the NX with a proper conference this time around.

A new Nintendo console (heck, a new console period) isn't something that should be presented with a forty-minute digital event.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The Direct was fine. I don't know what people expected.

I actually thought that people are going to have low expectation for this Direct because of the leaks. I guess I'm wrong on that.

I'm very glad that they finally announced that they are going to bring Rhythm Heaven MegaMix to America and Europe so I'm going to pick it up on day 1 if I could.

Zubz

Banned
I don't know how I feel that the most exciting thing in this Direct was a game starring Slippy, but it was. I mean, not that there wasn't good news (I'm pumped for Rhythm Heaven Megamix, for example), but somehow, that ended up being the biggest point from this.

I definitely don't like how Nintendo appears to have learned nothing from past mistakes with this Direct, though. SMTxFE bombs in Japan? They're still blowing money on releasing it to an audience that's even less receptive. People demand a Paper Mario that plays like the first 2 and has a decent story? We're getting one with an even gimmickier premise, and the only character that wasn't a series staple was a floating bucket of paint. Federation Force was a trainwreck at the last E3? They acknowledge the hate for the game, then double down on everything that earned it that ire.

The Direct wasn't terrible, but these announcements in particular have me afraid that Nintendo doesn't see any need for change right now.

With Nintendo's dedication to only talking about the next six to twelve months and their inability to make multiple games by themselves, I wouldn't expect much from their initial console announcement either. Console transition periods are not their strongest time. Gotta give it about a year.

Federation Force was a trainwreck at the last E3? They acknowledge the hate for the game, then double down on everything that earned it that ire.

You think that man's going to throw away ten years of work on that game because some people on GAF said it looked bad? :)

Pleasantly surprised. Kirby and Rhythm Heaven are both bought.

Federation Force looks very whatever. I don't give a fuck that it's not a mainline game, because honestly the idea of playing as a squad of federation troops is excellent. It just doesn't seem to do anything interesting with the concept, like, they just made it Triforce Heroes? Really?

Neoxon

I guess this Direct kind shows that not only is the Wii U dying, but the 3DS is on its way out as well. With the exception of Federation Force & maybe Sun/Moon (we have yet to see gameplay), most of Nintendo's 3DS games that they're publishing are either late localizations or games based on pre-existing engines to pad out the 3DS line-up this year. While it does indicate that the NX Handheld won't be out this year, it does kinda show that Nintendo was in a bit of a rush to get enough games to keep the 3DS alive until at least early 2017. Lucky for them, the third party games are picking up the slack (a number of which being late localizations, namely Bravely Second & Monster Hunter Generations).

That being said, I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't touch on Mother 3 or Style Savvy (that is, unless Rhythm Heaven Megamix is actually Cadillac & not Style Savvy 3).

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Star Fox and Paper Mario look awesome. I'll be in for those.

Super Mario Maker elements will add a lot I think.

I might need to pick up a New 3DS for Kirby and Metroid Prime.

Astral Dog

It was an OK Direct, some people are going to complain that the new content is on Wiiu/3DS instead of NX, others will complain that there is not enough content on a dead system and an aged handheld on its possible last year.

But, it is what it is.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The only real positive I can say is that at least now everything is out the way for the NX reveal.

So Nintendo really is super leaking now huh? I mean that leak was on point, and after what happened with Pokemon and the 3ds release schedule I wonder if real NX details will get leaked soon.

I'd be surprised if anything about it was leaked before Nintendo's planned reveal. Nothing about it has leaked so far, even with everything else going on.

Or Nintendo are orchestrating the leaks themselves, but that obviously doesn't make sense.

Poor Lost Reavers, nobody is talking about it.

Who?

A shame though, it did look good

Not everything. There's.....
  • Style Savvy 3
  • Mother 3
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon Gameplay
  • Detective Pikachu
....to name a few.

True. But it seems like 3DS is still going to be supported heavily this holiday.

So is it safe to say that the NX is a console and NOT handheld?

mrmickfran

If you are able to judge a game on it's own merrits and don't just nerdrage away at a game that wanted to do go in a different direction, it's absolutely not trash.

It is flawed (the bosses and some of the puzzles are obtuse and a bit busted), but there is an ansolutely rocksolid adventure game underneath some weird quirks.

Or, if we could look at it from this angle: the game just wasn't fun.

Neoxon

True. But it seems like 3DS is still going to be supported heavily this holiday.

So is it safe to say that the NX is a console and NOT handheld?
Most of said support being either late localizations, third party games, or games based on pre-existing engines. Federation Force & Hyrule Warriors Legends seem to be the exceptions.

That being said, I think it's more of the NX Console coming out first rather than the NX Handheld not existing at all. For the reasons stated earlier, Nintendo likely has pulled away from significant support of either system. And besides, the 3DS may not be able to hang for long after this year (& Game Freak, as stated before, is the equivalent of the drunk friend the morning after the party ended).

Top Bottom