• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation (over) (Wii U / 3DS)

L~A

In US Direct, but not in Japanese:
Ultimate NES Remix 3DS/ Theme
Buying on Nintendo.com
Duck Hunt Dog Trailer
Duck Hunt coming to Virtual Console
Indie Games/ Commander Video Trophy in Wii U? Awesome!
Persona Q themed 3DS XL (Looks pretty sweet)
Sonic Boom Puzzle
Monster Hunter Nintendo crossover (Japan got it previously I think)

In Japanese Direct, but not in American:
Etrian Odyssey 2 for 3DS
Derby Stallion Gold for 3DS
Final Fantasy Explorers for 3DS
Attack on Titan for 3DS
Devil Survivor 2: Break Record for 3DS
Badass Rumble 6 for 3DS
Acecombat 3D Cross Rumble+ with amiibo support to have planes with Nintendo themes
Lost Heroes 2 for 3DS
Atelier Rorona for 3DS
Monster Hunter 4G Episodic Content
Project S.T.E.A.M was narrated by Iwata, not Bill
More plates for New Nintendo 3DS

Thanks, added that to the OP!

Chaos17

The Direct was cool, so I won't play the spoiled child.
Nintendo already spoiled me enough for tonight :)

203_s.jpg

Now you know how everyone feels when they read your posts.

I'm not the one who's slinging fanboy mud at Sony and Microsoft because they have the AUDACITY to release HD remasters... which Nintendo has already done, making your assertion even more laughable. I don't know what's stopping them from shitting out a Super Mario Galaxy HD collection to fill the gaping holes in their release schedule. I can almost guarantee that Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Woolly Worlds, and Splatoon will be the only Wii U titles released in the first half of 2015. Quality software I'm sure, but the constant droughts have effectively killed their platform, especially in Japan. This is what happens when your console has ZERO third party support.

hatchx

Banned
I know about the investor report. With the history of Wii U, it's tough not to think it won't be the same in first half 2015 as it was in 2013 or 2014. Meaning slim pickings until the second half. It's been a major reason why the console can't get any momentum going.

Now we have to wait for another direct, and the longer we wait, the chances of Mario Party/Mario Maker/Yoshi etc etc dates slipping further increases.

I know I jumped the gun a bit there, but when Nintendo has a direct and says games until spring, then only shows two Wii U games for first half 2015, it's just kinda par for the course for the console and at the moment, imo it would be wise to assume that's all they got for first half 2015 until further notice.

I see where you are coming from, and perhaps I'm being overly optimistic because I never would have imagined how paltry their H1's have been for two years running.

I honestly can't think of the last time Nintendo had a really strong H1 in a year. Maybe Wii in 2008 with Smash,Kart,Wii fit - or 3DS in 2013 with Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Donkey Kong.

It's really hard to interpret. This past year, Spring meant March for Yoshi 3DS and Spring meant late May for Mario Kart. Summer for Smash 3DS meant Oct.3, and they dangled us on a hook about Smash WiiU until recently.

One thing I do know is that even Nintendo recognizes that Kirby and an unknown IP aren't going to make for a strong 1st half - especially with the competition. My guess is Mario Maker hits in March, Splatoon in May, and Yoshi in summer.

Where's my Fatal Frame 5 Nintendo :(

Don't tell me they want to release it along with the western movie.

Please tell me you don't expect it to make its way overseas. They wouldn't even localize Fatal Frame 4 while the Wii was still thriving in North America. Fatal Frame 5 would Bob-omb worse than The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 combined.

It's okay to cry. ;_;

Hatchtag

Banned
What I liked:
-Majora's Mask 3D
-All the updates on the games updated were noteworthy updates (Playable Abe Lincoln and Tom Sawyer, 4-player co-op, Single Player Campaign, weirdly urban houses, Duck Hunt Dawg)
What I didn't like:
-Nothing new aside from MM3D
-Virtual console barely mentioned, still is terrible
-Not a single fucking release date
-3DS's first half of 2015 looks incredibly empty
-Wii U's first quarter of 2015 looks empty again
-wasting time on indie games. If they're not exclusive, they are almost always cheaper elsewhere. I have never bought a non-exclusive indie game on a Nintendo platform, and I probably never will.
-$5 for Pikmin shorts. Seems pricey. And they're not even crossbuy.

virtualS

I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not call Codename S.T.E.A.M. THE S.T.E.A.M. TEAM

wha? They talked about like less than half of the WiiU games we know they're making...

My point being that everything they showed we knew they were making. It's been forever since the last full Direct. The least they could've done was announce ONE title for WiiU that we didn't know was coming out in 2015. Another HD remake at least!

I mean, what did we really learn? We saw updates to games well in development that they had already shown running and functioning and not much else. I get the feeling everything they showed at E3 is all we're getting for 18 to 24 months. Is that it? Maybe Nintendo have moved on internally.

This is why I'm disappointed.

impact

Banned
Please tell me you don't expect it to make its way overseas. They wouldn't even localize Fatal Frame 4 while the Wii was still thriving in North America. Fatal Frame 5 would Bob-omb worse than The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 combined.

It's okay to cry. ;_;
I don't think they want to piss off the few Wii U fans that exist. No way they let FF rot in Japan.

I'm not the one who's slinging fanboy mud at Sony and Microsoft because they have the AUDACITY to release HD remasters... which Nintendo has already done, making your assertion even more laughable. I don't know what's stopping them from shitting out a Super Mario Galaxy HD collection to fill the gaping holes in their release schedule. I can almost guarantee that Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Woolly Worlds, and Splatoon will be the only Wii U titles released in the first half of 2015. Quality software I'm sure, but the constant droughts have effectively killed their platform, especially in Japan. This is what happens when your console has ZERO third party support.

I rather have Nintendo's limited resources go towards making games that Nintendo doesn't normally make. Not retreads of something that is readily available to their current platform via backwards compatibility. Japan is not a factor for home consoles anymore. Nindies are their 3rd party now.

Tenki

It's okay to cry. ;_;

We will probably get it in Europe :D

And I'd bet NA too.

Gruco

Banned
I imagine people were screaming "Valkyria Chronicles!" (soon coming to steam) at this monitors when Bill Trinten said "...unlike any strategy game out there" while this was live.

Definitely my response.

It looks more dissimilar than I expected, actually. Smaller squads mean we should expect more unit by unit management and variety, as opposed to just upgrading types. (with disadvantage of less to manage in-map). Obviously owes a debt to VC but it will probably leave its own mark as well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
In US Direct, but not in Japanese:
Ultimate NES Remix 3DS/ Theme
Buying on Nintendo.com
Duck Hunt Dog Trailer
Duck Hunt coming to Virtual Console
Indie Games/ Commander Video Trophy in Wii U? Awesome!
Persona Q themed 3DS XL (Looks pretty sweet)
Sonic Boom Puzzle
Monster Hunter Nintendo crossover (Japan got it previously I think)

In Japanese Direct, but not in American:
Etrian Odyssey 2 for 3DS
Derby Stallion Gold for 3DS
Final Fantasy Explorers for 3DS
Attack on Titan for 3DS
Devil Survivor 2: Break Record for 3DS
Badass Rumble 6 for 3DS
Acecombat 3D Cross Rumble+ with amiibo support to have planes with Nintendo themes
Lost Heroes 2 for 3DS
Atelier Rorona for 3DS
Monster Hunter 4G Episodic Content
Project S.T.E.A.M was narrated by Iwata, not Bill
More plates for New Nintendo 3DS

Nice summary, thanks.

chadboban

Loved the Direct, now more sold on Splatoon and Codename STEAM than before. Majora FUCKING 3D! Xenoblade X, all of it. 4 player Kirby, MK8 DLC looked incredible. Indies look great. The Direct delivered in my eyes.

Axass

PSA: New puzzle in the 3DS plaza based on the Pikmin Shorts.

I imagine people were screaming "Valkyria Chronicles!" (soon coming to steam) at this monitors when Bill Trinten said "...unlike any strategy game out there" while this was live.

Yep, that and X-Com Enemy Unknown.

K-A-Deman

My eyes are rolling so far into the back of my head that I can see my own eye sockets.

He;s not exactly wrong. How often is a game released and almost immediately dropped in price a week later? Or given multiple SKUs filled with DLC and updated graphics not even a year later? This generation in getting really bad about it, and I don't see it getting any better thanks to how MS Sony locked out their previous generation of games, making any of them ripe for the re-picking...

That was okay.

I hated that they wheeled out Miyamoto just to talk about Pikmin. Again. For like the eighth time. And this time it wasn't even about a game. Also, that "nindies" section was terrible. Just flash the fucking logos and get out of there instead of pontificating about indie developers as a class. Further, last time I checked, Sega and Atlus aren't indie developers, so great job mapping that out.

Everything else was fine. Xenoblade looks great, as does Splatoon. I like that we get Kirby way before Europe because I'm petty and still annoyed that they got Bravely Default two months early and Layton vs. Wright five months early, not to mention all of those Wii RPGs. STEAM looks neat. I'm glad Majora's Mask finally got announced. I think one more game announcement or cutting the segments I complained about earlier would have pushed it from "okay" to "good" for me.

ozfunghi

It's okay to cry. ;_;

The game is finished. The platform needs games. Seriously, if they don't bother with this game, then what's the point in getting Devil's Third and Bayonetta 2 on Wii U? They can just subtitle it for all i care, save the trouble of getting voice actors. Heck, make it e-shop exclusive. They'll certainly get the money back from the translation, at the very least.

omg. Iwata looks so. oh man. hope hes making a quick recovery

yup... looked like he aged 10 years since last we saw him.

.Anema

Guys, I really fucking love Nintendo. The Direct was brilliant! That's how you make and show videogames, away from stupid advertising and polemics like console parity, downgrades, locked FPS, etc.
BRAVO!

Also, finally Majora's Mask! And Splatoon look so fun. Can't wait.

Nemecyst

Pretty good direct. Other than vague release windows, there was nothing that disappointed me.

Majora's Mask 3DS, fuck yeah
Captain Toad, great look at more stages
Codename STEAM, still looking good
Kirby, multiplayer madness
Mario Kart 8, tracks look fantastic
Amiibo support looks neat
Splatoon, not sure how they made it look even better, but they did
XCX, just.......whoa.......fuck, waiting hurts
More Indie Games, yes please

Just surprised there wasn't any Sonic Boom info other than the puzzle.

Not a bad Direct, but I couldn't help but find some of it... lackluster. Maybe I'm just bitter and cynical right now.

"To show our support for Indies, here's a Commander Video trophy that took us a grand total of three minutes to port over a model, pose, and write a description for!"

"Hey, Pikmin movies! They're short, only about twenty minutes. Five bucks a piece! No crossbuy!"

Splatoon looks freaking sweet though, I am very excited for that. I'm stoked that it has a single player campaign - that's all I needed to know to secure my purchase.

Also I am now officially locked in to buying the Link Amiibo because of the Spinner. Damn you, Nintendo!

Hopefully this shows that bimonthly regular directs are back. January next.

Oh but isn't 3DS support looking weak first party wise in 2015? All I can think of is S.T.E.A.M. and Majora's Mask.

Not a bad Direct, but I couldn't help but find some of it... lackluster. Maybe I'm just bitter and cynical right now.

"To show our support for Indies, here's a Commander Video trophy that took us a grand total of three minutes to port over a model, pose, and write a description for!"

"Hey, Pikmin movies! They're short, only about twenty minutes. Five bucks a piece! No crossbuy!"

Splatoon looks freaking sweet though, I am very excited for that. I'm stoked that it has a single player campaign - that's all I needed to know to secure my purchase.

Also I am now officially locked in to buying the Link Amiibo because of the Spinner. Damn you, Nintendo!
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought it was $5 for all 3 videos? If it's $5 each it's kind of a rip. If it's $5 for all then it's a fantastic deal.

Top Bottom