• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct : Tomodachi Collection confirmed for Europe/na

That would kind of remove a big chunk of the game. You're supposed to get married, move into a house, have a kid, and then you can send that kid on a streetpass journey where he travels to other people's game. Then you get postcards and stuff showing how he is doing.

Hmm... I already have a daughter. Is it possible to select her Mii as my child or does the game just make one for you.

You can give them items and stuff and suggest things to them. For example if a character is wondering about asking someone out you can tell them to do it or not to. You don't have direct control over them.
Is it a sim though. Do the miis have a day job and make money etc?

Maybe people are getting more accepting (well, if you're not living in Eastern Europe), but
the negative sort are still very vocal, and may want to make a lot of noise about how this game is 'perverting children'. I'm not sure how far the comparison to The Sims applies, because of Nintendo's image and the more 'child friendly' look of the game.

And could someone clarify if gay relationships (sans marriage and children) are in the game or not?

I personally find the extreme minority for both sides to be kind of insufferable to be honest. The general feel for me is that in America the majority have pretty much full support or complete apathy to the issue. Whatever happens, one side is going to have some massive outcry.

That being said, I would assume that they would keep it as is in the Japanese version. If its without it there, its almost definitely going to be without it here.

butman

This game is the epitome of raw Nintendo's mind. Pure LCD and magic.

Now bring me Zelda WiiU Direct at E3 and Nintendo did it again!

Roto13

So were same sex relationships a glitch or was it just the pregnancies? Can you still have two male or two female miis marry each other?

Sakura

Hmm... I already have a daughter. Is it possible to select her Mii as my child or does the game just make one for you.

When you bring her Mii into the game, you can set her relationship to you as daughter I believe, but I don't think it's the same as having a child in game.

Is it a sim though. Do the miis have a day job and make money etc?

They do stuff throughout the day, like hang out at each other's house or go to the beach, but there isn't really a set schedule and you don't really have to micromanage them as much as The Sims. They're also aware of you.

Thoraxes

What is this sorcery ?!!

8dddde3751a2e57ed1ff1lys39.jpg

/dead
Bastard beat me to asking her.
lol

Hear! Hear! It wouldn't be the first time that Nintendo had gay characters, but it would be a step forward from stereotyping them like they do in Tingle's Rose Colored Rupee Land, Captain Rainbow, and Animal Crossing.

I think you are observing Tingle and Captain Rainbow from a Western perspective. Those two aren't really gay stereotypes in Japan. Now, if they were into bodybuilding and had lots of facial hair...

I suppose that giraffe from AC would be closer to a stereotype.

I personally find the extreme minority for both sides to be kind of insufferable to be honest. The general feel for me is that in America the majority have pretty much full support or complete apathy to the issue. Whatever happens, one side is going to have some massive outcry.

Well, if you want to make any social change happen, you need to make some noise. And through that you're bound to annoy some people. I'm sure most people who've campaigned against human rights issues (slavery, women's rights, racism etc.) have been seen as annoying by the apathetic majority.

That said, with this game my massive outcry will be me not buying it.

I have the game. I've booted it several hundred times to get certain characters to fall in and out of love with other characters, and never once have I seen any character want to be anything more than friends with another character of the same gender.

Thanks for clearing that up. :/

icy_eagle

Hear! Hear! It wouldn't be the first time that Nintendo had gay characters, but it would be a step forward from stereotyping them like they do in Tingle's Rose Colored Rupee Land, Captain Rainbow, and Animal Crossing.

Tingle is straight as an arrow lol, the premise of one of his own games is that he buys a book on how to be popular with women

d+pad

Thank you for your support! I really want to start some kind of fan movement to raise awareness of this. It may not accomplish anything, but there's no harm in trying, right? I'll probably wait a little bit in case the question of whether or not same sex relationships have been added gets answered in a few days or so, but I want to make some kind of video pretty soon here. For #Miiquality!

Great idea, Tyeforce! Will you let us know here once you've made your video or otherwise started your movement? I'd definitely like to support it myself and pass along your video, etc.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So were same sex relationships a glitch or was it just the pregnancies? Can you still have two male or two female miis marry each other?

I think both the same gender relationship and the pregnancies were taken out , since the marriage automatically leads to the pregnancies.

Its like removing a multiplayer mode due to a weapon glitch in a game...instead of finding and removing the glitch itself, they removed the entire multiplayer component.

Someone correct me if i am wrong

Thank you for your support! I really want to start some kind of fan movement to raise awareness of this. It may not accomplish anything, but there's no harm in trying, right? I'll probably wait a little bit in case the question of whether or not same sex relationships have been added gets answered in a few days or so, but I want to make some kind of video pretty soon here. For #Miiquality!

Let us know when you get this rolling. I want to support that movement.

I'll support this too. It is important everyone can be represented and #Miiquality is very catchy ;)

HowZatOZ

Banned
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Last two directs have been incredible.
It is definitely working its magic. Look how many people this direct alone hooked. I'll be grabbing two copies for myself and my girlfriend, we absolutely love Animal Crossing and this is just 100x more crazy.

I think they should include the option to play as a male in the next Style Savvy. That would be the perfect title to lightly bring up same sex relationships. (Both Male/Male and Female/Female) They could also include an option inside of the main options for parents to use parental controls to disable all of the dating additions to Style Savvy. (Just make it a simple "dating off/on" option. Don't give people the choice to turn off individual aspects. Make it an all or nothing proposition. Style Savvy is an excellent game, but it's just "niche" enough to fly under the radar of those who would be "offended.")

Apparently you haven't played Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.

oyiAiiL.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think both the same gender relationship and the pregnancies were taken out , since the marriage automatically leads to the pregnancies.

Its like removing a multiplayer mode due to a weapon glitch in a game...instead of finding and removing the glitch itself, they removed the entire multiplayer component.

Not really, apparently gay marriage was not intended at all, and the game treats like one of the characters is female.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I have the game. I've booted it several hundred times to get certain characters to fall in and out of love with other characters, and never once have I seen any character want to be anything more than friends with another character of the same gender. Googling in Japanese also gets me results saying the patch makes it so there is no more gay relationships. There are some people in the thread saying how you can totally still have gay relationships and all the patch removes is babies from said relationships, but I'm not sure if those people actually have the post-patch game themselves and are still seeing that.

Well in a way that's good. They shouldn't randomly decide if a person is gay or not off some hidden number. It would be like picking your character's gender off a personality test instead of just a toggle on the creation screen. That's not how homosexuality works. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like that solution just makes everyone bisexual.

If they're going to do it (and they 100% should) I think it should be an explicit option on the character creation screen. Of course any option is better than no option, but ideally a three way toggle is the way it should work.

Well in a way that's good. They shouldn't randomly decide if a person is gay or not off some hidden number. It would be like picking your character's gender off a personality test instead of just a toggle on the creation screen. That's not how homosexuality works. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like that solution just makes everyone bisexual.

If they're going to do it (and they 100% should) I think it should be an explicit option on the character creation screen. Of course any option is better than no option, but ideally a three way toggle is the way it should work.

It works that way for some people (bisexual, pansexual), and I personally think you (or the game) shouldn't choose and fix your sexual orientation on character creation. It is not that difficult to give the player the option to enter the "romantic relationship territory" or just remain friends when the Miis get to a point where that could be possible.

Tripon

I gotta wonder if Nintendo hired a new marketing company to handle the creation of the last two directs. If so, they need to keep them :)

It was done in house. The Nintendo Tree House are a talented group of people.

https://twitter.com/Yeckles

Corporate Affairs stuff at Nintendo. Love me some video games. Pet peeve: forgetting to rinse lather from pits.
Redmond, WA USA
"Jonathan Yeckley ‏@Yeckles 5h
I’m very proud to introduce Tomodachi Life and the video my team had a blast creating. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcmx4kC0tiU&list=UUGIY_O-8vW4rfX98KlMkvRg …

Jonathan Yeckley ‏@Yeckles 5h
I’m proud to have worked on the Localization team to bring the game to the US, and now have the honor of introducing it to the world…

Jonathan Yeckley ‏@Yeckles 5h
Today is a big day for me. We announced a game I’ve worked on in some capacity for almost two years..."

I gotta wonder if Nintendo hired a new marketing company to handle the creation of the last two directs. If so, they need to keep them :)

I´d say they hired one since the louvre direct or probably around that time. The gerneral design and especially the cinematography got a huge bump over the last 6 months. Let´s hope they can improve even further.
Btw. people should really download the louvre app!

Roto13

Well, if I can't be married to my husband, I'm not putting my own Mii in it. :/

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It works that way for some people (bisexual, pansexual), and I personally think you (or the game) shouldn't choose and fix your sexual orientation on character creation. It is not that difficult to give the player the option to enter the "romantic relationship territory" or just remain friends when the Miis get to a point where that could be possible.

Well yeah, that's why it's a 3 way option, not a 2 way option, to include bisexual. But yes I admit I know nothing about how the game works in in action, so I can't say for sure if that way is fine. But if it is sectioned out that way, I'd hope that same sex relationships don't take longer than normal ones.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
HOLY FUCK. I read this earlier today and read it as "Tamagatchi" and didn't really look at it. I've been waithing for this for so long!

bomma_man

That being said, I would assume that they would keep it as is in the Japanese version. If its without it there, its almost definitely going to be without it here.

holy false equivalence

Labrys

This game is targeted at children not gays, move on.

i'm sorry a substantial group wants representation, it must be so hard on you

it'd literally make no difference if they allowed same sex relationships and axed the having a kid with adoption. even animal crossing was more progressive than this. no excuses, and no sale from me.

Finally got around to watching this video and it's fucking genius. Only Nintendo would use random non-sequiturs and metal songs about dragons and brunch sang by Japanese businessmen with robot voices to advertise a game.

watershed

Banned
I'm super curious to find out if this game will be another "casual hit" for Nintendo. I don't think they've had a new IP become a casual hit this entire generation (3ds/WiiU). I wonder if consumers still find Miis cute or if they just turn away when they see one, thinking it's just a new Wii Play or some other minigame collection.

Joqu

This game is targeted at children not gays, move on.

Well that's not a healthy mindset at all now is it. Why should something that's primarily targeted at children exclude homosexual relationships anyway? I'm sure any well-brought-up kid wouldn't mind its inclusion and I doubt you think it would have any negative effects on them (or at least I hope you don't).

Plus, y'know, games shouldn't be targeted at gays for them to get any representation.

MisterHero

Incredible Direct! Surprised it wasn't gif'd already. However, it kinda lacks without Reggie's maniacal laughter. Highly reminiscent of the end to Thriller.

tomodachilife_reggiej2sk0.gif

I wonder how many dreams are in this game; they seem really strange and fun.

Top Bottom