• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Dolphin tech demo that most people haven't seen before

Michan

JoshuaJSlone said:
So you're saying it was used to demonstrate the new technology.
I think a lot of people mistakenly see this as a gauge of the GameCube's technical ability, but wonder why we never got to see anything even remotely near the quality of it.

When played from a GameCube demo unit, it could be considered a tech demo. After all, its entire purpose was to demonstrate the fact that the console, unlike its cartridge-based predecessor, could stream full motion video from its portable storage medium. The Nintendo 64's inability to do this played a key role in causing a lot of cherished developers to favour the competition, so it was clearly extremely important for Nintendo to let the industry know that they'd made the move to disc and as a result, this could now also be done on their console. To demonstrate it, they contracted this short, stuck it on a disc, and ran it from GameCube units.

When viewed anywhere otherwise, it certainly isn't a tech demo, as it's not a demonstration of the console's technical ability in any shape or form. It's just a video that was rendered on some random computer that most likely didn't anywhere near represent the GameCube's specifications.

Calling this a "tech demo" leads to ambiguity, as you can already see from posts in this thread. There needs to be a definite distinction between the tech demo posted in the OP (which was rendered in real time on Dolphin debug units) and the Rebirth video.

[Nintex]

I wonder how last generation would've been if Nintendo released a Mario game like that at launch instead of a game that looked like it was rushed in 6 months a year after.

womp

luigis-mansion-1.jpg

Still some of the best visuals in a game from that gen. I wish Nintendo would update or bring out a sequel for the Wii, it'd be insanely awesome.

camineet

Banned
It seems there's still alot of confusion over Rebirth.

Rebirth was mostly pre-rendered CGI used to show Gamecube's ability to playback high quality FMV.
Most of it was *not* real-time, except for a small portion of it. You can easily tell what's pre-rendered and what's Gamecube-level graphics.

Reborn in Real-Time?
Is the Mix-Core made Gamecube demo actually running in real-time? Plus 40 new super-sized screens!
by IGN Staff

September 11, 2000 - During Nintendo's Space World show in Tokyo, Japan, the company debuted a full motion video called Rebirth on one plasma screen television. The short, artistic demo showcased a tree that had been reborn to life and, in the footage, was exploring its forest environment. The video featured beautiful lighting and realistic fogging effects, but some of the texture work and character animation was suspect, and IGNcube wondered at the time if a portion of the presentation could be running in real-time. We even asked Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto about Rebirth, who referred to it vaguely only as an FMV demonstration of what is possible on Gamecube.

Now, though, Rebirth's Japanese creator Mix-Core has come out of hiding to offer new details on the demo, and a whole slew of great new screenshots of it running in motion. According to the production house, which is affiliated with HAL Laboratories, the full Rebirth presentation was in fact more than six minutes long, but Nintendo opted only to show a brief snippet of it at Space World. More interesting, though, Mix-Core comments that the Rebirth demo is a "reflection of what can be achieved in real-time on Gamecube." Need more? The company also offers that "a part of the [FMV] scene operates in real-time on a real [Gamecube?] machine." However, it should be noted that unless Mix-Core is sharing full resources with HAL Laboratories (which isn't likely), there is simply no way the company could be in possession of a Gamecube development kit and therefore the Rebirth demo couldn't be running on actual hardware in that sense.

If you look at this movie, which IGNcube recorded of Rebirth during Space World, you can see what we believe could be the real-time portion of the demo that creator Mix-Core references. We presented the video to several development houses making games for next-generation consoles and all of them agreed that it's possible to achieve the visuals demonstrated in the Rebirth footage in real-time and on the Gamecube hardware in a fixed, non-gameplay environment.

Still, we don't know what to ultimately make of the Rebirth video or Mix-Core's latest comments on it. Is it all FMV or not? We're not positive one way or the other. Is it a game in development or just, as Nintendo says, a technical demo? We're not sure. We only know that as more information about Rebirth surfaces, the software only grows more mysterious.

Take a closer look at Rebirth below in action via 40 new super-sized screenshots courtesy of designer Mix-Core and Nintendo.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/084/084825p1.html

The real-time portion seems to be from 0:22 to 1:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyXEMPaVHQ

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Gamecube was so awesome. Actually, all of last gen was so awesome.

And that music is awesome, no matter what anyone says.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike still stands as my favourite technical achievement on any console. The amount of effects and visual polish that game is pushing, and the power of the engine for the hardware it’s on, its just phenomenal.

The GCN was a beast and that game proved it. The Endor levels were especially beautiful.

agrajag

Banned
EatChildren said:
Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike still stands as my favourite technical achievement on any console. The amount of effects and visual polish that game is pushing, and the power of the engine for the hardware it’s on, its just phenomenal.

The GCN was a beast and that game proved it. The Endor levels were especially beautiful.

I'd like a new Rogue Squadron game for the Wii with pointer shooting controls.

[Nintex] said:
I wonder how last generation would've been if Nintendo released a Mario game like that at launch instead of a game that looked like it was rushed in 6 months a year after.
Well they already launched the N64 with a bland Mario game filled with boring enviornments devoid of any sort of substantial gameplay content and the N64 still flopped, so I don't see why that would have made a difference for the Gameccube either.

DungeonO

womp said:
[luigi's mansion pic]

Still some of the best visuals in a game from that gen. I wish Nintendo would update or bring out a sequel for the Wii, it'd be insanely awesome.

Agreed. Luigi's Wallace and Gromit style character model is outstanding looking still to this day. A Wiimote controlled sequel would be great.

nincompoop said:
Well they already launched the N64 with a bland Mario game filled with boring enviornments devoid of any sort of substantial gameplay content and the N64 still flopped, so I don't see why that would have made a difference for the Gameccube either.

nincompoop
(Today, 12:12 PM)

camineet

Banned
I had so wished that the Wave Race demo had been real-time

WR03.JPG

WR07.JPG

because it looked SO much better than what Blue Storm turned out to be.

Sadly the demo was pre-rendered :)

At least Metroid Prime was impressive looking, although not on par with the pre-rendered clip at Space World 2000.

Top Bottom