• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Don't expect Switch Pro this year

Mista

Banned
3558517_buy_now_pokemon_hw_front.jpg

Nintendo has ruled out the release of another new Switch model this year, following yesterday's announcement of the Nintendo Switch Lite.
It means a beefier Switch model - a Nintendo Switch Pro, or whatever it ends up being called - will launch in 2020 at the earliest.
"[Nintendo Switch Lite will] be the only new Nintendo Switch hardware this holiday, as Bowser says the larger Switch won't get an upgrade right now,"

Banned
I always figured the explanation behind Nintendo's light first party E3 showing is due to them optimizing games for some newer model. The fact that Doom Eternal is coming, period, leads me to think we're going to get something sooner than later.

Saber

Gold Member
Switch Pro? What Switch Pro?

People assure me its gonna happen.

Jokes aside, was expecting that. Lite and "Pro"(or whatever gonna be called) has 2 very different targets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, expect it March next year or a year after Switch Lite release.

I doubt March. Animal Crossing will be the focus then and a bundle with a Switch Lite makes more that game. The 3DS version was a huge hit and it’s a perfect portable game being ideal for playing in short bursts

An upgraded Switch makes more sense for releasing alongside BOTW2 or some other bigger game with more appeal to the core gamer market who are more apt to upgrade hardware. Maybe they can have that ready for next fall in effort to try and keep their sales strong when the PS5 and next Xbox are coming out.

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah, these statements don't mean much coming from Nintendo.

But I still don't expect a true "Pro" model. Just minor refreshes.

Why would they do just "minor refreshes" for the next year though?
If these are just minors, why mention them at all?

Fake

Yeah, these statements don't mean much coming from Nintendo.
Because? Again, they done before, so will happen again even if they deny.
But I still don't expect a true "Pro" model. Just minor refreshes.
No one is expecting, but match with report and rumors. Could be a pro version or just a revision with better battery. Again, based on previous Nintendo move is very unlikely.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think it will be an upgrade. Probably something similar to the A OUNT OF boost PS4 got with the Pro in terms of amount of upgrade over the base model.

Nothing mindblowing, just more games holding 1080p docked and 720p handheld, better chance of still getting downports (like they have with Doom etc.) after the next gen consoles are out and so on.

No evidence of that, I just don’t see the point in putting out a revision in year 4 if it doesn’t provide some upgrades. The Lite is already the “slim” equivalent. If not providing an upgrade, just stick with the current Switch and put out a Switch 2 in 2022 IMO.

Fake

Maybe a 1080p OLED screen, an even better battery, a new confortable dock for NS... will be good to see.

iconmaster

Banned
Because? Again, they done before, so will happen again even if they deny.
I'm agreeing with you. Nintendo has a history of denying things up until they happen. But as I've said, "features aimed at avid videogamers" means one thing to us and another thing to Nintendo. They may be hearing complaints about the amount of onboard storage or battery life and thinking, "We can address that, and charge more for it."

If these are just minors, why mention them at all?

I'm not seeing where Nintendo mentioned anything other than the Lite. The title of the article says "Switch Pro," but that's the author's insertion. Doug Bowser never says anything of the sort.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Switch is nothing for me until Bayonetta 3, Metroid 4 and BOTW 2. I still have time to save up until then...

but animal crossing, cant resist

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
If not providing an upgrade, just stick with the current Switch and put out a Switch 2 in 2022 IMO.
This is what should happen. I mean Nintendo console generations usually last around 6 years or so. Switch is 2 years old and their biggest guns haven't even been released yet. If a pro version doesn't release next year then who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not seeing where Nintendo mentioned anything other than the Lite. The title of the article says "Switch Pro," but that's the author's insertion. Doug Bowser never says anything of the sort.

I'm talking about the release of another Switch model in contrast with a post saying that these are gonna be just minor tunes.

In my quote I didn't bring Pro to the table, keep that in mind.

Last edited:

GV82

Probably a year/ year & half from now, a refresh in time with the next gen nov/dec 2020 wouldn’t surprise me.

Give me a Metroid prime Switch pro themed bundle come March 2021 along with announcement of Metroid prime 4 for late 2021/22.

iconmaster

Banned
I'm talking about the release of another Switch model in contrast with a post saying that these are gonna be just minor things.

You have to dig down several articles to find the actual Bowser quote. All he says is "[Switch] will continue on its path at the price we have it currently positioned at." He never mentions minor upgrades, or any upgrades, even to deny them. What he's saying is they want to keep Switch at the current price point.

Everything beyond that is a reporter's addition. Everyone outside Nintendo is talking about a Switch Pro, so surely Nintendo is planning one!

Last edited:

McRazzle

3558517_buy_now_pokemon_hw_front.jpg

Nintendo has ruled out the release of another new Switch model this year, following yesterday's announcement of the Nintendo Switch Lite.
It means a beefier Switch model - a Nintendo Switch Pro, or whatever it ends up being called - will launch in 2020 at the earliest.

from the article:
"as Bowser says the larger Switch won't get an upgrade right now "
The statement that there would not be one this holiday seems to be the reporters interpretation.

Saber

Gold Member
You have to dig down several articles to find the actual Bowser quote. All he says is "[Switch] will continue on its path at the price we have it currently positioned at." He never mentions minor upgrades, or any upgrades, even to deny them. What he's saying is they want to keep Switch at the current price point.

Everything beyond that is a reporter's addition. Everyone outside Nintendo is talking about a Switch Pro, so surely Nintendo is planning one!

Hm, ok.

Not denying that its not possible for they to release a revised version though. Might be a solution with cheaper parts and whatnot.
But I do believe in a supposed Pro version because I'm pretty sure there would be demand for it.

Last edited:

stranno

I think they are waiting for an Nvidia move. Unfortunately they wont have the T210 deal again. Newer SOC will be probably way more expensive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
But I do believe in a suppoaed Pro version because I'm pretty sure there would be demand for it.

Plus they really need to do something to keep sales going once the next gen consoles are out. Switch will be well into its 4th year (turns 3 in March) when those hit next fall, Lite will be over a year old.

A Pro upgrade out late 2020 or Spring 2021 would get them back in the news, help them still get Doom type ports here and there and help them put off a Switch successor until 2023 or so. Which is probably ideal to get more profits on hardware as costs drop and software as attach rates rise with the the growing user base.

I don't think a Switch Pro is likely to deliver to wants and desires at the price point that makes sense for Nintendo.

Lets be honest, it would probably be 800+ USD if the Pro was going to have the features that most people wanted, including bigger screen, OLED, mass storage, nano sim, extra SD slot, much more GPU and CPU power, much bigger battery, bezel less design.

Switch doesn't make sense as a handheld. Battery is abysmal and the size is so obstructive and awkward, that taking a thin Ipad with much better storage and network capabilities seems like a better proposition despite the inferior quality of games. It doesnt make sense as a stationary console due to its weak internals, poor framerates, bad ergonomics, and questionable build quality.

Its an amazingly flawed machine, and either way you lean, its going to disappoint people as people want different things from Switch. But its one hell of a bad ass machine. Its the best thing Nintendo has made since N64.

ultrazilla

They just don't want Switch Lite sales cannibalized.

Or better yet.....perhaps that Switch Pro ends up being a sneaky "OG Switch" upgrade that just happens to increase performance, have more ram, higher clocks speeds.... :messenger_beaming:

So yeah, we're not getting any "new" hardware besides the Switch Lite but we're sure as hell getting a more powerful OG Switch(Pro basically) revision. I'm onto you Nintendo! :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

radewagon

See you next year then Nintendo, I waited this long

You are not alone. Now, if I hadn't been able to play Breath of the Wild on my WiiU or if the new Smash (and many others) were a completely new title instead of a GOTY edition-esque release then things might be different. As it stands, I'm supremely grateful that Nintendo has decided to not release any exclusive Switch game yet that would make waiting for the Pro a difficult endeavor.

xool

[..next year] .. or not at all

We already know Nintendo like "mature" hardware, ie not cutting edge, and the Switch Lite appears to be simply a downclocked Switch with a smaller screen for minimal energy savings..

A Switch Pro would probably require an upgraded chip, on a newer process, which means significant design costs - clue - based on past behavior Nintendo isn't going to do that ..

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's an interesting play of words.

If the new Switch is just an iteration of the current Switch, it technically isn't a "Pro" version. Who knows? Maybe they're not gonna use different branding. And therefore, a new more powerful Switch wouldn't be Pro.

Personally, I'm gonna wait a little more. I don't care. Even if they don't announce anything until sometime next year. I want the best Switch I can get.

You are not alone. Now, if I hadn't been able to play Breath of the Wild on my WiiU or if the new Smash (and many others) were a completely new title instead of a GOTY edition-esque release then things might be different. As it stands, I'm supremely grateful that Nintendo has decided to not release any exclusive Switch game yet that would make waiting for the Pro a difficult endeavor.
That's true. If it wasn't for me being able to play botw on Wii u, a not so inferior version, i would have gotten a switch.

Can't say i even like botw all that much tho so getting a switch just for that wouldn't have been worth it anyway lol.

Now mario odyssey, astral chain and Luigi 3 on the other hand are making my choice harder!

Zannegan

Whether or not he actually said it, this is what I expected.

Nintendo will want to give the Lite some room to breathe and a holiday on its own to sell before dropping a new, pricier model. Besides, the only game they could really advertise the Pro with would be the Witcher. While "better for better's sake" may be enough to get the core to upgrade, if they want to reach a wider audience, they're going to have to have new software that really shows it off.

They also want one more holiday to sell the vanilla Switch at full price, which I could see dropping 10-20% ahead of the pro. For the price-conscious parent looking for a Pokemon machine this holiday, there's the Lite.

There's just no reason to drop a pro now, unfortunately. My hope is that they'll want to get it out the door ahead of MS and Sony's next gen consoles and all the fanfare they'll inspire.

Best guess, Spring 2020.

Last edited:

Fbh

Just guessing here but I really think some people will be disappointed when the Switch Pro gets announced.
There seem to be a lot of people expecting a XB1 to XB1X sort of upgrade and I think it might end up being more of a XB1 to XB1S sort of thing

That's an interesting play of words.

If the new Switch is just an iteration of the current Switch, it technically isn't a "Pro" version. Who knows? Maybe they're not gonna use different branding. And therefore, a new more powerful Switch wouldn't be Pro.

Personally, I'm gonna wait a little more. I don't care. Even if they don't announce anything until sometime next year. I want the best Switch I can get.

The "don't expect a pro" quote is just a title made up by the Eurogamer writer.
The actual quote from Nintendo is:

""[Nintendo Switch Lite will] be the only new Nintendo Switch hardware this holiday, as Bowser says the larger Switch won't get an upgrade right now," "

So that would imply no new Switch hardware beyond the Lite for this year, regardless if it's indeed a pro or some other form of iteration

zenspider

It's not even a quote. It's a quote from a C-Net writer who isn't even quoting Bowser.

Can we have a moratorium on the Switch Pro talk until there's even some mildly substantial rumor to talk about?

From the original WSJ article:

You would be wrong to think the enhanced version is similar to what Sony did with PS4 Pro and the other is just a cheap alternative that looks very similar to some past hand-held machines, say, Sony’s PlayStation Vita,”

It looks precisely like a Vita and past hand-held machines, and is, in fact a cheaper, "less than" alternative. For all we know, the "Pro" is smoke from the FCC confirmed new internals -and all the manufacturing and logistic shifts that came with it - that got the better of some dude's imagination.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Whether or not he actually said it, this is what I expected.

Nintendo will want to give the Lite some room to breathe and a holiday on its own to sell before dropping a new, pricier model. Besides, the only game they could really advertise the Pro with would be the Witcher. While "better for better's sake" may be enough to get the core to upgrade, if they want to reach a wider audience, they're going to have to have new software that really shows it off.

They also want one more holiday to sell the vanilla Switch at full price, which I could see dropping 10-20% ahead of the pro. For the price-conscious parent looking for a Pokemon machine this holiday, there's the Lite.

There's just no reason to drop a pro now, unfortunately. My hope is that they'll want to get it out the door ahead of MS and Sony's next gen consoles and all the fanfare they'll inspire.

Best guess, Spring 2020.

That’s my guess as well, though I think Summer 2020.

I’m thinking Sony and MS will have their big individual next gen reveal events in late winter or early spring like they did in 2013, which will dominate News cycles. By E3 they’ll have less to show or make a splash and Nintendo can get the Pro more attention revealing or in their direct then or a separate direct a little before E3.

Top Bottom