• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Don't expect Switch Pro this year

Vawn

Banned
It would make sense to launch next year and take away a bit of the next gen hype from MS and Sony.

It could have the opposite effect. The Switch Pro will still be less powerful than a PS4/XBO. Direct comparisons to PS5/Scarlett are not going to be favorable for Switch Pro.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It could have the opposite effect. The Switch Pro will still be less powerful than a PS4/XBO. Direct comparisons to PS5/Scarlett are not going to be favorable for Switch Pro.

They aren't really competing for those graphics loving gamers, though. And haven't since the Gamecube failed. Yeah, they'd like to get some of that crowed to ALSO buy a Switch, but they know they aren't going to get many Sony/MS fans/graphics lovers to buy one INSTEAD of a next gen Playstation or Xbox.

The hope with having a pro next year would really be two fold:

1. Maybe a good chunk of their fanbase that plays Nintendo first and the others second will decide to put off a next gen console and upgrade their Switch first. That would help keep their sales and profits up during the next gen transition while they remain off cycle.

2. Have a bit more power so they still get some down ports like they have with Doom, Wolfenstein etc. that will be harder on the base Switch once devs are targeting next gen consoles as their lead platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcjmetroid

Just guessing here but I really think some people will be disappointed when the Switch Pro gets announced.
There seem to be a lot of people expecting a XB1 to XB1X sort of upgrade and I think it might end up being more of a XB1 to XB1S sort of thing

The "don't expect a pro" quote is just a title made up by the Eurogamer writer.
The actual quote from Nintendo is:

""[Nintendo Switch Lite will] be the only new Nintendo Switch hardware this holiday, as Bowser says the larger Switch won't get an upgrade right now," "

So that would imply no new Switch hardware beyond the Lite for this year, regardless if it's indeed a pro or some other form of iteration

I wouldn't read too much into what the US president days. Remember Reggie told us that the Switch wouldn't have friend codes ;)

The communication between NCL and NOA has always been trash.

That being said I wouldn't expect it this year but I would expect it next year.

I am nervous about it going up against the next generation of consoles though so they may want to get it out before them. My guess is Summer next year.

Fbh

I wouldn't read too much into what the US president days. Remember Reggie told us that the Switch wouldn't have friend codes ;)

The communication between NCL and NOA has always been trash.

That being said I wouldn't expect it this year but I would expect it next year.

Yeah I guess you are right.
And I agree with next year at the earliest. If we don't hear anything about a "pro" (or whatever) by the time the Lite releases I think any new iteration or model would be 2020.
Even for Nintendo it would be weird to release a new model and then a month later be like "oh BTW there's this other new model releasing next month".

Even though the Switch lite and a theoretical Switch Pro don't aim for the same market, it would still be weird to announce a third alternative shortly after releasing the first new iteration.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Even though he Switch lite and a theoretical Switch Pro don't aim for the same market, it would still be weird to announce a third alternative shortly after releasing the first new iteration.

Yeah, that would be very weird.

Plus their next two big system seller tentpole games are Pokemon this fall and Animal Crossing this spring. Both games with huge appeal in the handheld gamer crowd. Makes since to focus on the Lite and try to sell as many as possible.

Put the Pro out with something like BOTW2 thats more for the core gamer audience and a game that could show off any extra power better.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally happy with my current Switch , so I personally don't care if we get Pro version or not.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Switch doesn't have enough library to warrant all these console variations even if you release a powerful Switch, what games would utilize it?

SNG32

I think Nintendo should release a console version of switch that is more powerful than the handled and normal switch. They can tap into all three.

SNG32

I think Nintendo should release a console only version of switch that is more powerful than the handled and hybridswitch. They can tap into all three. The console should be powerful enough to run the next iteration of switch 2 games. And when they hybrid comes out for switch 2 its slight more powerful than the console but the console can still run the switch 2 games. The console only switch should be the flagship of power for the next gen hybrid. Kind of like how snes was to gameboy advance and Nintendo 64 to Nintendo DS.

I honestly would not launch a next gen Switch in 2020. As much as I love my Switch, if I could only choose between the new Xbox or a new Switch I'm going with the Xbox. I can afford to drop $800 on gaming hardware in a year, but the vast majority of people can't. Launching in the Spring or Fall of '21 will give people's wallets a lot more breathing room after Sony and MS swing their balls around in 2020.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol even with Nintendo saying "chill out" there is still going to be nonstop rumors all year.

people so want to give them their money they are mad at them.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
How well did the new 3Ds do compared to the 3DS? Is there some evidence people upgraded in large enough numbers to justify it? Did it bring in people that otherwise would not have considered the platform? Or did it simply just allow them to keep selling HW at the high price they wanted in enough numbers to justify it?

Keep in mind that it costs more to optimize games for multiple specs. It may not be too much since Switch already includes docked and undocked.

Still it is not clear that there is a need for a marginal upgrade to the Switch.

I still find it odd that they don't go for a cheap TV only unit to complement the Lite. It must be viewed as something that would be too cannibalizing of the OG switch or possibly too confusing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally don't care, to me Switch still bring some great looking games.

Switch_ASTRALCHAIN_E3_artwork_03.jpg

jadedm17

See you next year then Nintendo, I waited this long

If youre saying that as someone who hasnt bought a Switch yet.... Damn im just sorry, thats a lot of time you could have spent enjoying the many incredible titles.

If youre saying that as someone with a Switch then Nintendo has your money and doesnt care.

Either way i dont know what youre saying. Also i love my Switch.

If youre saying that as someone who hasnt bought a Switch yet.... Damn im just sorry, thats a lot of time you could have spent enjoying the many incredible titles.

If youre saying that as someone with a Switch then Nintendo has your money and doesnt care.

Either way i dont know what youre saying. Also i love my Switch.
Dont have one.

I do however have a shiiiit ton of games across 6 consoles. Not to mention I still need to complete my cube and 64 collections.

Mario odyssey is a must have and that's about it. Some cool games, but not good enough to jump in yet. Having a wii u and all its games kinda makes the switch a hard sell right now.

Last edited:

FrankCaron

I doubt March. Animal Crossing will be the focus then and a bundle with a Switch Lite makes more that game. The 3DS version was a huge hit and it’s a perfect portable game being ideal for playing in short bursts

An upgraded Switch makes more sense for releasing alongside BOTW2 or some other bigger game with more appeal to the core gamer market who are more apt to upgrade hardware. Maybe they can have that ready for next fall in effort to try and keep their sales strong when the PS5 and next Xbox are coming out.
Co-signed. The original plan circa 2017 must’ve been to launch it side by side with the multiplayer laden Metro Prime 4 fall 2020, if I had to guess.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

The best thing about the Switch Pro announcement will be the YouTube thumbnails with a YouTuber holding a superimposed Switch Pro while they look at the camera aghast.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
The best thing about the Switch Pro announcement will be the YouTube thumbnails with a YouTuber holding a superimposed Switch Pro while they look at the camera aghast.
Professional_7bc5e7_6566986.jpg

Don't mind me I'm just playing Skyrim on my Switch Pro on the go.

Ascend

That doesn't rule out Q1 of 2020. I suspect it's going to be Q2 though, just befor the summer, to get higher sales.

Fake

I actually care... I mean, to hell third party, I'll play on another console, but for me Nintendo exclusive deserve better. At least native 1080p for a proper TV upscaler work.

sublimit

Banned
He didn't say anything. OP is quoting a Eurogamer article quoting a C-Net article that didn't actually quote Bowser saying anything of the sort.
From the cnet article:
"The Lite isn't a sequel to the Switch. It's more of a lower-cost spin-off. It'll also be the only new Nintendo Switch hardware this holiday, as Bowser says the larger Switch won't get an upgrade right now. "

"Right now" clearly implies that there will be an upgrade later on. Unless Bowser didn't word it like that and the Cnet journalist pulled the "right now" out of his ass (which will not be surprising).

I definitely wouldn't care either if i already had a Switch just like i didn't cared to "upgrade" from my PS4 (i even bought a 2nd PS4 slim besides my original one) to a PS4 Pro. But since i waited and i do intend to buy a Switch at some point i like to see what other (better) options i will have in the future.

Last edited:

zenspider

From the cnet article:

"Right now" clearly implies that there will be an upgrade later on. Unless Bowser didn't word it like that and the Cnet journalist pulled the "right now" out of his ass (which will not be surprising).

I definitely wouldn't care either if i already had a Switch just like i didn't cared to "upgrade" from my PS4 (i even bought a 2nd PS4 slim besides my original one) to a PS4 Pro. But since i waited and i do intend to buy a Switch at some point i like to see what other (better) options i will have in the future.

Right. He's saying "as Bowser says".

Here are the actual quotes from Bowser to CNET:

We believe the two systems will complement each other and coexist in the market

[Switch Lite] compact, lightweight, dedicated gaming device.

There are no plans, or nothing to announce, in terms of further variations of Joy-Con.

[In response to Lite being a "perfect second Switch":]You're absolutely right, I could see this fitting into a household where there are multiple players ... and one flagship Nintendo Switch,"

Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences. More to come on there, but that is the intention

Not much here to speculate on. If I was going to write for clicks, I think 'flagship Switch' was pretty choice wording that speaks more to a possible no-screen TV option, than a "Pro" model, but I don't wrote for clicks.

If you want a Switch get a Switch, and if the increasingly unlikely Pro drops, you've had you're fun and your in the same boat as the rest of us.

If you can't be with the one, you love the one you can get today;)

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

Banned
Believing Nintendo 😂

3 weeks ago

NINTENDO: Hey guys, there is no truth to a new version of the switch coming at all stop asking.

3 weeks later

NINTENDO: lol buy this 💰 💴

Didn't they just say they wouldn't have anything anounnce at e3? I don't recall them outright denying a new model.

scydrex

I hope the Switch Pro or Switch X will be a home console or non portable... that way they could use the power of the Tegra 100%. Not interested in portable system.. Remove the battery, display, etc and put a adequate cooling and crank up that power.

Top Bottom