• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2012

wsippel

Banned
I played Mutant Mudds demo yesterday and it'll probably be the first eShop title I buy. Though now because of that title I want to get some titles that have caught my eye...

Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force
VVVVVVVVVV
Zen Pinball
Sakura Samurai
Dillion's Rolling Western

And I'm pretty sure there are some gems in DSi Ware land that I don't know about yet.
They're all great, though my top three would be Pushmo, Zen Pinball and Mighty Switch Force - in that order. On DSiWare, most ArtStyle games, all titles by Q-Games, all games by WayForward and Rytmik are definitely worth a look.

I played Mutant Mudds demo yesterday and it'll probably be the first eShop title I buy. Though now because of that title I want to get some titles that have caught my eye...

Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force
VVVVVVVVVV
Zen Pinball
Sakura Samurai

And I'm pretty sure there are some gems in DSi Ware land that I don't know about yet.

It took me maybe three hours (according to my game time) to initially play VVVVVV but it felt like a 50-hour game. Lots of exploration. Loved it.

Sakura Samurai might be my next DL. For some reason I can't get into Dillon's Rolling Western even though I like the idea and concept of it. Enjoying Mighty Switch Force and Pushmo right now.

Roto13

Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force
VVVVVVVVVV
Zen Pinball
Sakura Samurai

I bought Pushmo, Zen Pinball, and Sakura Samurai from that list and they're all pretty great. Especially Pushmo. Everyone should buy Pushmo.

Completed IoG yesterday.
That good.
I successfully avoided softmodding my Wii for the Rainfall trinity, but I don't think I'll have a choice for the Soul Blazer trilogy. If we don't get any indication of a release by Wii U launch, then I'll transfer to the new system and use my old Wii for games the VC should be getting [but isn't].

They're all great, though my top three would be Pushmo, Zen Pinball and Mighty Switch Force - in that order. On DSiWare, most ArtStyle games, all titles by Q-Games, all games by WayForward and Rytmik are definitely worth a look.

Mr. Driller
Bomberman Blitz
AuraAura Climber

All worth looking in to as well!

GWX

Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force
VVVVVVVVVV
Zen Pinball
Sakura Samurai

I got Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, Zen Pinball and Rolling Western out of those, and they're all great. Mudds is also very good (I have it too), but I think I prefer Mighty Switch Force to it.

Nintendo, where's my Picross-e goodness? *waits impatiently*

zigg

Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?

Because it's in the latest Nintendo Power as an "upcoming WiiWare title", along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update, and an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

There's also a lengthy Jools Watsham bit abot Bomb Monkey.

Somnid

Because it's in the latest Nintendo Power as an "upcoming WiiWare title", along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update, and an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

Nice too see more patches. Bodes well. Though what do they mean 3DS Cave Story? A patch to the NIS game or like a port of the Nicalis version?

Cave Story 3D on eShop? Or a pixel 3D version?

Either way, 4th time buying!

zigg

Nice too see more patches. Bodes well. Though what do they mean 3DS Cave Story? A patch to the NIS game or like a port of the Nicalis version?
Looks like a port of the Nicalis version, with widescreen, 3D, "jukebox mode, adjustable controls... Boss Rush, Curly Story, Hell Time Attack, Wind Fortress, Nemesis Challenge, and possibly more."

And then there's this ominous "Plans may call for the DSiWare version... to be removed from the eShop... when the new version becomes available... but the old DSiWare version will remain in the Nintendo DSi Shop..."

Roto13

Cave Story 3D on eShop? Or a pixel 3D version?

Either way, 4th time buying!

Cave Story 3D is a retail game. So this probably goes with the new ability to update retail games coming in the firmware update tomorrow.

EDIT: Or maybe this is something completely different? :p

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Yeah, Retro City is coming to every gaming system, except 3DS for now. Game looks amazing.

zigg

Cave Story 3D is a retail game. So this probably goes with the new ability to update retail games coming in the firmware update tomorrow.
I don't think this is related to Cave Story 3D at all, other than the obvious "it's Cave Story." Says "a new version," and the picture is of the traditional graphical style, just 3DS-wide.

Somnid

Looks like a port of the Nicalis version, with widescreen, 3D, "jukebox mode, adjustable controls... Boss Rush, Curly Story, Hell Time Attack, Wind Fortress, Nemesis Challenge, and possibly more."

And then there's this ominous "Plans may call for the DSiWare version... to be removed from the eShop... when the new version becomes available... but the old DSiWare version will remain in the Nintendo DSi Shop..."

Okay, cool I guess? What the hell is the point of the NIS version anyway? To compete with itself?

fernoca

From what I remember, Retro City Rampage was ready to be released on WiiWare back on August last year, but put on hold because of the Xbox Live Arcade release. Since then, the game's also coming to Steam, PS3, Vita...and the game still not out anywhere (it's a small team, so understandable). Expected around May at least on Steam and Xbox Live Arcade.

On his Twitter, he recently commented about hooking someone with a preview copy of the WiiWare version, so I guess May also includes WiiWare.

OMG Aero

Okay, cool I guess? What the hell is the point of the NIS version anyway? To compete with itself?
The point of the 3DS version is to give Europeans something to buy because Nicalis are masters at releasing digital titles in a timely fashion in other regions.

Who ever knew that Cave Story would end up being one of those annoying games that gets rereleased every year?

except in fucking EU
we are STILL waiting for the DSiware version...for over a year now.
hopefully they release the upgraded 3DS version here

zigg

From what I remember, Retro City Rampage was ready to be released on WiiWare back on August last year, but put on hold because of the Xbox Live Arcade release. Since then, the game's also coming to Steam, PS3, Vita...and the game still not out anywhere (it's a small team, so understandable). Expected around May at least on Steam and Xbox Live Arcade.
I see. I was under the impression it wasn't coming to WiiWare at all—that it had moved to XBLA et al. Good news for everyone who wants to play it.

EDIT: This is what I get for not reading gaming news obsessively anymore.

Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?.
I played the WiiWare version a week ago at iDÉAME, so yeah. It was just a demo, but it felt pretty polished (and it's been already translated to Spanish, so I guess it's EFIGS).

Damn, now I'm hyped for the update. WayFoward better deliver with those new levels!
I know they will <3

BooJoh

I bought Cave Story on WiiWare and didn't end up finishing it... considered the DSiWare version but I knew it would look like crap on 3DS, and the retail 3DS version was too pricey for me.

I might buy a 3DSWare version though, especially if it's pixel graphics with 3D layers.

Roto13

I bought Cave Story on WiiWare and didn't end up finishing it... considered the DSiWare version but I knew it would look like crap on 3DS, and the retail 3DS version was too pricey for me.

I might buy a 3DSWare version though, especially if it's pixel graphics with 3D layers.

That's basically me. :p Bought on it WiiWare and never finished it, didn't want the DSiWare version since I already had the WiiWare version and don't care about playing it on the go, didn't want to pay that much for the 3D version (actually was going to get a review copy of that game but apparently it got lost...) but I might buy the eShop version if it's basically 3D Classics Cave Story.

I still really wish they'd kill off WiiWare/DSiWare. It's bloating the release list every week, and when the WiiU comes out Nintendo's going to have four downloadable platforms at once, each not being quite as good as they could be if there were just two.

You could argue Sony does a similar thing, but their platforms are interchangeable and inter compatible.

Boy, they're really milking Cave Story, eh?

Of course, I would probably buy a 3D version of the 2D game (2D is 3D rules). I got the retail 3D game for my birthday, so I'm all good.

Also, NEW MIGHTY SWITCH FORCE LEVELS. Hopefully these tease into a sequel.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I still really wish they'd kill off WiiWare/DSiWare. It's bloating the release list every week, and when the WiiU comes out Nintendo's going to have four downloadable platforms at once, each not being quite as good as they could be if there were just two.

You could argue Sony does a similar thing, but their platforms are interchangeable and inter compatible.

You say this like the WiiWare/DSiWare stuff is pushing other games off the release schedule, which isn't true at all. We're still getting plenty of this stuff because it takes months/years to get 'em through submission, and because there are plenty of third-party devs/licensees for those platforms out there--they've already made the investment, so it behooves them to try and claw some of their losses back (or even profit ((haha))).

Wow, hasn't even been a month since Japan VC got Wario Land 2, and it's getting Wario Land 3 next week. NoA needs to seriously step their shit up.

Decided to buy Catrap, seems like a steal at only $3 for 100(?) levels plus a level editor. The mechanics aren't mindblowing or anything, but I played the first 20 levels and they already managed to sneak in a few clever bits here and there, so I can see the later puzzles getting pretty challenging. The rewind feature is a nice touch.

Sinthetic

I just watched that Magical Dance animation. Fuck me. I swear I couldn't hear any audio (I'm not deaf). Sort it out damnit.

Top Bottom