• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2015

Zeeman

Thanks for the impressions. I'm hoping the combination of Mario-ness and some strategy will be up my alley. I know my wife likes this style of puzzler, so that's my main impetus for picking it up. (Plus, Amazon was kind enough to offer their original 25% discount once the price changed so it'll be like $22.50.)

Yeah, the game on phones has a number of F2P design choices that I ultimately found frustrating: the stamina meter, feeding monsters to other monsters to evolve them, having to spend currency to expand your monster inventory or to try to get rare monsters. A version without that seems very appealing to me.

Man, another shit week for Wii U in NA. Paper Mario, the game that's been available to buy on Wii and Wii U for ages. No Wii VC releases yet again. Horrible sales on mostly junk shovelware. Shin'en with their lame sale again...I mean can't you at least hit $5? $6.70 for games that are usually $8.99/$9.99? Come on. And another week of zero discounted Nintendo games. This month has been quite bad for Wii U eShop imo. There is increasingly less reason to even check the shop every Thursday.

I think it's pretty obvious that despite them finally getting other platforms on the VC that they just really don't care. I've sank a lot of money into the Wii U VC and my only hope at this point is that they step up the VC on the next platform big time and let me transfer my downloads over with no fuss. I'm not holding my breath.

GulAtiCa

Man, another shit week for Wii U in NA. Paper Mario, the game that's been available to buy on Wii and Wii U for ages. No Wii VC releases yet again. Horrible sales on mostly junk shovelware. Shin'en with their lame sale again...I mean can't you at least hit $5? $6.70 for games that are usually $8.99/$9.99? Come on. And another week of zero discounted Nintendo games. This month has been quite bad for Wii U eShop imo. There is increasingly less reason to even check the shop every Thursday.

Like who? :/

TNT Racers is pretty fun, I liked it back when I reviewed it long time ago.
Kung Fu Rabbit is great!
Art of Balance Touch! another good game
Nano Assault Neo - Excellent launch game

maxcriden

Looks like Banjo Kazooie?

*reads thread*

Ah, by the Rare artist that designed BK.

It's pretty astonishing that they went with such a similar logo. Kinda seems like asking for trouble in a way. Game looks super cool though.

FWIW, if non-Nintendo developers want to have sales, I don't think Nintendo's going to stop them. I don't think this is any remarkably bad week between N64 VC, Amiibo Tap, and a few indies. I am disappointed in the last of Wiireleases, though.

Yeah, the game on phones has a number of F2P design choices that I ultimately found frustrating: the stamina meter, feeding monsters to other monsters to evolve them, having to spend currency to expand your monster inventory or to try to get rare monsters. A version without that seems very appealing to me.

I'm vehemently opposed to F2P games so those all sound like pretty frustrating factors to deal with. I hope the 3DS port skillfully removes those aspects! Did the demo give you the impression that it does so in a reasonable and fun way?

Zeeman

I'm vehemently opposed to F2P games so those all sound like pretty frustrating factors to deal with. I hope the 3DS port skillfully removes those aspects! Did the demo give you the impression that it does so in a reasonable and fun way?

Unfortunately, the demo's just battles, so there's no way to see how it does that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Your harsher than I am, but yeah it's been bad the past two weeks.

I'd also agree we need better sales from indies.

I'm just over the VC as well. Nintendo doesn't care like we all do about the service.

It's basically down to getting 1 MAYBE two good indie games a month, and that's about it.

n64coder

Pokemon Shuffle is F2P and I thought it was a lot of fun. I didn't pay a single cent.

foltzie1

I really miss TTT's weekly commentary on the VC releases.

With Paper Mario releasing week I think I can finally move everything onto the 256MB for vWii mode and not have anything tied to the SD card.

Dear NOA, please release the TG16 games in the states.

OmegaFax

I like Amiibo Tap quite a bit so far. I think that scanning in the figures to get random games/levels is a treat. I can't marginalize Amiibo as being $13 tap and play demo pieces because they're nice figures to have on the shelf and do a few other things (Mario Kart 8, Smash). I'm one of those people with incredibly short attention spans. I like flipping through different games ... and for a Wii U game like this to instantly load up a ROM and a series of save states, it's like heaven. I admittedly have the VC versions of most of the games I've unlocked so far so these three minute snippets of games I'd already play over and over again works for me. Super Metroid boss fights, check ... beginning of any World in Super Mario Bros., check. LttP boss fights, alright. ... maybe it's also the closest thing right now to an SNES Remix >_o ... the thing is Amiibo Tap would be boring with only one or two Amiibo. The larger the pool, the more exciting it gets (and, I guess, chance ... I haven't gotten a game out of the 11 I scanned I don't like).

Robin64

Yeah, it does kinda feel like SNES Remix, as long as you have enough figures. 11 for me personally, which isn't enough to unlock everything, but I did get some nice things.

I do own them all on VC though, heh.

(You can delete the game and redownload if you have just one figure, by the way, you get a different game)

maxcriden

It's more of the fact Nintendo finally put out a normal demo via normal means. No restrictions, no "special version", no distributing demo codes a week early via random people then everyone else can get it later. Don't get me wrong, 30 plays is a large amount, but when it's like 10 plays for certain types of games (Project X Zone, a RPG you need to play a few times to get the hang of what's going on, had FIVE), then it starts to become more noticable.
I personally have more objection to thou must have an NNID to do so much with the eShop these days than limited uses for a demo. But yes both are silly.

Celebrations might be early as it could be a glitch like Final Fantasy Theathrhythm was (initially it has no use limit, if you redownloaded it downloaded it later it had 30 uses).

As limited uses go I think the worst NISA Europe making Etrian Oddysey IV have 3 uses, a 90% reduction on the US version then trying to blame NOE for it (
that, their screwing over Europe with limited editions using a conversion of $=£ effectively making prices increase by 70% and never putting any of their Atlus games on sale on the eShop make me view them as the FOE in the room
). While one map of Project X zone being 5 uses is bad, a few hours of Etrian Oddysey (which supports saves too) actually put me off playing the demo (as I was legitimately worried I would not be able to finish it).

zroid

Banned
I don't think the use limit is a glitch for P&Z because the "demo" has its own icon on the eShop. It's not like most demos where you go to the game page and tap on download demo.

TheMoon

I don't think the use limit is a glitch for P&Z because the "demo" has its own icon on the eShop. It's not like most demos where you go to the game page and tap on download demo.

it's billed as a Special Demo in Europe, like those that don't have play limits.

Robin64

In the OT of Paper Mario, someone posted that the game was on a limited print run.

If that's true, then that make's it a pretty good week for VC.

Was it? I saw a load of copies over here in the UK when it came out, and still see it on shelves in game stores used even now. And if the UK has them sitting around like that...

Was it? I saw a load of copies over here in the UK when it came out, and still see it on shelves in game stores used even now. And if the UK has them sitting around like that...

I asked him how he found that out. He was referring to Australia.

I have the game and manual. I didn't think it was a rare game either.

Ladekabel

I couldn't resist and bought the 3D Classic Kirby game. The first Kirby game I bought. Always played them at a friend and liked them but somehow never bought on of them.

Quick question about external storage for the Wii U: Does it format the hard drive or can I just plug it in and use it?

jholmes

Kirby's Dream Course has a neat little easter egg as the name panel.

zlCfzTTTXUozfL8SdC

Am I the only one who doesn't get it? This is one of the games my amiibo didn't unlock but I've beaten it a few times.

foltzie1

I couldn't resist and bought the 3D Classic Kirby game. The first Kirby game I bought. Always played them at a friend and liked them but somehow never bought on of them.

Quick question about external storage for the Wii U: Does it format the hard drive or can I just plug it in and use it?

It requires a format and it will become only useable with the Wii U unless you reformat.

Top Bottom