• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2014

Glass Joe

hahaha I'm seriously considering cancelling my preorders on Amazon and going Digital... thoughts?

One downfall is it's generally pretty slow to download off Nintendo's servers. I'll probably do the same, but don't expect it to be complete till Friday morning. They really should let people pre-download and then just have it unlock at midnight.

wilflare

One downfall is it's generally pretty slow to download off Nintendo's servers. I'll probably do the same, but don't expect it to be complete till Friday morning. They really should let people pre-download and then just have it unlock at midnight.

hmm... darn :/ oh well. decisions

zroid

Banned
Do any of your Wii or WiiWare games have DLC? I spent my leftover points on the Bubble Bobble Plus DLC. Or you could add 500 and buy Super Mario Bros. 2j.

Huh, how much is that Bubble Bobble DLC? I think I have 200-300 points and have been completely at a loss over what to do with them,

Ondore

So they're throwing retail games into the character sale NA/EU had at the end of last year? At least it's a start on getting retail game discounts on the eShop...

JoeM86

I've never had it slow since launch. Downloaded the 388MB NES Remix in a matter of minutes. Rayman Legends, which came in at around 7GB took me less than an hour. Wii Fit U at 4GB took half an hour.

tolkir

Nesquik on Japan eShop

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shame I don't have more spare cash, as I'd totally get a $35 eShop card for $28 & actually get Yumi's Odd Odyssey instead of waiting for a sale.

Also WOAH Street Fighter 2010 hitting the 3DS VC!? Add that with the other NES games that Capcom didn't originally release on the Wii VC. Really hope they confirm that & Mighty Final Fight for the US.

Robin64

Got this in an email, but didn't seem quite good enough for a thread. (Especially when that thread would be "Still £150 too much")

9idWDsp.png

I was wondering actually, do U.S. eshop cards work for a 3DS set to Canada?
Canada uses a different currency so they do not work.

If Nintendo stuck with Nintendo points they might have still worked but nobody likes Itchy and Scratchy money.

Got this in an email, but didn't seem quite good enough for a thread. (Especially when that thread would be "Still £150 too much")

9idWDsp.png
I'd best tempted to cross post to Euro cheap arse GAF but when you consider you can get a Premium system from Amazon for £190; Sonic and Mario remote are not worth £110.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Why doesn't Europe or NA get 6 VC games this week?

A huge chunk of those are PC-Engine games, so maybe we need more systems here. But it's not like Japan had our small lineup before those started releasing, so actually I have no idea. But it's annoying. Especially when our week consists of Ice Hockey. I wouldn't complain as much as if that single game was something like Secret of Mana or Super Mario Kart.
Oh, and as always, give us a damn schedule, Nintendo!

Roto13

Even just counting consoles that are on the Virtual Console, Japan has a lot more retro games than the rest of the world.

The gap isn't wide enough to justify this, though.

Has anyone made a thread for Weapon Shop de Omasse yet? I'm really eager to read some impressions

EDIT: I love not knowing what day of the week it is. I hope to see some impressions tomorrow, then :p

Did we have a date for Pocket Football in EU previously? I see it's listed for 17th April on Nintendo's website. May have been in the direct and I missed it....

zroid

Banned
I just added money from a prepaid card for the first time since the 3DS and Wii U eShop wallets were merged. It's so liberating.

Somnid

This week's VC Trivia:

This happened before with NES games until we hit a saturation point and they just said "fuck it" but releases of TG16 games are staggered between Wii U and 3DS as to not create overlap. I have to believe it's happening, or at least Konami does:

3DS:
Gradius
The Kung Fu
Alien Crush
R-Type

Wii U:
PC Genjin: Pithecanthropus Computerurus
Takahashi Meijin no Shin Bouken Jima
Super Star Soldier

Dr. Mario and Street Fighter 2010 marks 2 previously unreleased NES VC games in one week!

And it looks like R-type is the US version which contains both R-type I and R-type II. Assuming they do the same for Wii U how will you upgrade?

RaidenZR

They must have recently renegotiated the licenses for TG-16 VC games with Konami. It's the one of the only ways I can explain to myself why'd there'd be such a huge delay in getting some of them out.

Ice Hockey is apparently coming out in North America tomorrow. I mean, it's definitely one of my favorite NES titles, but one game a week is just embarrassing. I envy my Japanese brothers.

oatmeal

Banned
Is there any downside to companies not releasing their games?

Isn't it essentially free money? The better the game, the better the money?

Somnid

For VC? No downside, but if the cost of getting licenses and what-not exceeds what they think they can get then they won't release it. Otherwise it's more a matter of churning through backlog and whatever other technical issues come up.

terrisus

They could release them in group compilations and charge more?

If someone could just individually buy the 2 or 3 games they were interested in from an 8-game compilation, that's less than if they bought the 8-game compilation.

jmizzal

For VC? No downside, but if the cost of getting licenses and what-not exceeds what they think they can get then they won't release it. Otherwise it's more a matter of churning through backlog and whatever other technical issues come up.

Well thats true and all but when Japan keeps getting loads of games while NA and Europe gets 1 game at a time you have to wonder what are they thinking when more people have WiiUs in NA then Japan.

Last weekend I used a $5 credit I earned with my DDP (deluxe digital promotion that is, not by playing DoDonPachi, *rimshot* ) and used it to buy Super C, which, although being a big Contra fan, I still hadn't played. Really enjoying it so far, feels just like the first game but maybe tougher, looking forward to trying co-op with someone.

Then I added $8 more to my wallet and also treated myself to Mystical Ninja, a series I've barely scraped the surface of. Very fun game so far, love the combo of comical Japanese feudal setting and non stop enemies. Still looking for the Gradius minigame. Konami has such a rich history of IPs, too bad they don't capitalize on them anymore.

Ice Hockey is apparently coming out in North America tomorrow.

I've said it before, I'd give a week's pay just to know what on earth is said and goes on in an office at NOA while weekly VC releases are decided and the person there who is responsible for this garbage. We're just two months away from the Wii U VC's one year mark with NA the only region still without SMB 3 and I'm seriously expected to be excited and all ready to support GBA launch in April? Nope.

oatmeal

Banned
The Sony Store and XBL Store are both rocking awesome sales right now...

Meanwhile...

SEE YOU SOON…
Feel free to bookmark this page and check back often for special deals and offers. And in the meantime, be sure to visit Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo 3DS or Wii U system. There's always something new to see!

Maybe not 'always'.

Somnid

Well thats true and all but when Japan keeps getting loads of games while NA and Europe gets 1 game at a time you have to wonder what are they thinking when more people have WiiUs in NA then Japan.

Consider that current VC support is nearly 100% Japanese publishers and that the represented systems have far more Japanese releases than North American ones it's pretty obvious. Why Konami is dragging on TG16 support in the West and why Square-Enix hasn't released a damn thing in the West is cause for wonder but the overall release schedule disparity should not be surprising as no matter what Japan will always have much more. Only way to fix that is with a time machine.

I've said it before, I'd give a week's pay just to know what on earth is said and goes on in an office at NOA while weekly VC releases are decided and the person there who is responsible for this garbage. We're just two months away from the Wii U VC's one year mark with NA the only region still without SMB 3 and I'm seriously expected to be excited and all ready to support GBA launch in April? Nope.

Ice Hockey on VC is their big Winter Olympics tie-in! This is AAA Nintendo marketing going on here.

steveovig

I'm anticipating those TG16 games. I've never played Bonk much and would gladly re-buy Adventure Island and Super Star Soldier. The GBA games sound good too, provided we get the Namco stuff sooner rather than later.

Why can't they just release a bunch at a time? Personally, I'd rather have all my choices out in a reasonable amount of time than how things are now. Even if that meant, in the end, weeks without anything new VC-wise, I don't care.

Top Bottom