• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2010

And DSi Ware gets more Q-Games love in the form of Starship Defense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdzIM-Mgij0

Looks good and I like the faux dramatic space opera music. Still busy with Trajectile though so it'll be awhile until I get to this.

And I too want to know what the nature of the Jimmy Fallon cameo in Dark Void Zero is. I'm not surprised though, Fallon is a rabid gamer and even sometimes incorporates them into his jokes and skits (anybody remember the 'What Barack is thinking' sketch from this summer, "I am Barack Obama and I am the Bubble Bobble master?" haha)

Agent Unknown said:

Looks good and I like the faux dramatic space opera music. Still busy with Trajectile though so it'll be awhile until I get to this.

And I too want to know what nature of the Jimmy Fallon cameo in Dark Void Zero is. I'm not surprised though, Fallon is a rabid gamer and even sometimes incorporates them into his jokes and skits (anybody remember the 'What Barack is thinking' sketch from this summer, "I am Barack Obama and I am the Bubble Bobble master?" haha)
Wow. That looks incredible. Is it Q-Games, one must wonder why Nintendo, or Q-Games, doesn't talk about it in advance.

So did anyone end up with Muscle March? I only have 200 points on the Wii, and not sure if I should care enough to get points for it.

So how is Contra Rebirth multiplayer-wise compared to co-op modes for the rest of the series? Me and my brother in law love playing 2p NES Contra but we've beaten it more than a few times and I want us to try something new.

Reminds me, absolute crime that Hardcorps still isn't on VC.

BooJoh

Is the tank game (X-Scape or something?) mentioned in Nintendo Week something new, or have we heard of it before?

Agent Unknown said:
So how is Contra Rebirth multiplayer-wise compared to co-op modes for the rest of the series? Me and my brother in law love playing 2p NES Contra but we've beaten it more than a few times and I want us to try something new.

Reminds me, absolute crime that Hardcorps still isn't on VC.

Brilliant fun, it is a bit easy in 2 player until you unlock the harder difficulties though.

AlphaTwo00 said:
So did anyone end up with Muscle March? I only have 200 points on the Wii, and not sure if I should care enough to get points for it.

it was 500 points and I was like "eh..I need to rack up club nintendo points"
so I got it...
it is a great 5 min time killer...music is right on par with the gameplay...

I had 4000 wii points in my account so I figured why not and if you have spare points in your account...go for it..

it's fun but zero replay value IMHO...

GeekyDad

AlphaTwo00 said:

As far as personality and Otaku appeal go, the game is awesome fun. The controls, though, make the actual gameplay a little disappointing. The premise is great -- it's very arcadey -- but the difficulty comes from the unresponsive controls.

For $5, it's absolutely a great buy, something you'll definitely want to break out when friends are over. It has a sort of Elite Beat Agents quality to it, which I really enjoy. That being said, I wouldn't run out to the bank to deposit funds to buy the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BooJoh said:
Is the tank game (X-Scape or something?) mentioned in Nintendo Week something new, or have we heard of it before?

It's another Q-Games game. I think it's called "3d Space Tank" in Europe, and there was an Australian OFLC listing for it. We don't know much about the gameplay though.

OnPoint

AlphaTwo00 said:

It was meh. Quirky, good for a laugh, worth about $5. The controls don't work quite as well as they should, so the last challenge in each of the three levels is way harder than it should be. Funny, but more of a gag game than anything.

zigg

AlphaTwo00 said:
one must wonder why Nintendo, or Q-Games, doesn't talk about it in advance.

They did talk about it a bit on this week's Nintendo Week.

...which wasn't advance, yes, but it's something.

Tiktaalik said:
It's cheap and you don't need to keep around a cart.

Edit: Also you can't get Chow Chows in Nintendogs, so this game is a must by for Chow Chow fans. :lol
About the not-needing-a-cart thing, there's something Stumpokapow said in one of these threads month back that's worth saying again: If you at all consider rebuying something on DSiWare or getting something similar for the convenience factor, it's probably worth looking for a solution where you can just rip your own games and have them all at hand. I followed that advice, and I've probably saved money by being less tempted by half-assed DSiWare releases. :lol
Agent Unknown said:

Bought this one. Haven't gotten very far, but that's because I kept wanting to replay the first few levels to let fewer enemies get away. :lol

JoshuaJSlone said:
but that's because I kept wanting to replay the first few levels to let fewer enemies get away. :lol
You'll get the music to choose when you have some levels perfected. I perfected everything up to 14 so far :) Hightech Weapons
Black Hole, Flash
are great !

Mentioned here but worth cross-posting plus a few not not mentioned in the thread (I've bolded these). Some dates from NOE:
Disclaimer: most likely incomplete. Don't expect to be in any way accurate whatsoever.

WiiWare Q1 2010
January
22 - Max & The Magic Marker (Press Play)
22 - Fast Draw Showdown
29 - 530 Eco Shooter (Nintendo)
29 - Brain Cadet (Rising Star Games)

February
05- EXCITEBIKE: WORLD CHALLENGE (Nintendo)
Military Madness: Nectaris (HUDSON SOFT CO.,LTD.)
Phoenix Wright ™ Ace Attorney: Justice for All (Capcom)

Q1
Muscle March (NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe SAS)
Frogger Returns (KONAMI)
Tales of Monkey Island: Rise of the Pirate God (Teltale Games)
Worms: Battle Islands (Team 17)
Toribash (Nabi Studios)
Zombie Panic in Wonderland (Akaoni Studios)
Super Meat Boy (Team Meat)
Rage of the Gladiator (GhostFire Games)

Nintendo DSiWare Q1 2010
January
22 - Electroplankton™ Nanocarp
22 - Electroplankton™ Trapy

A Legend of Hexidia (GAMELOFT)
2010 Real Football (GAMELOFT)

February
Let's golf! (GAMELOFT)
High Stakes Texas Hold'em (HUDSON SOFT CO.,LTD.)

Q1
Reflection (KONAMI)
Flight Control (Firemint)
Fieldrunners (Subatomic Studios)
Car Jack Streets (Tag Games)

It is probably safe to pencil in two Electroplankton DSiware games for the follow few weeks (there are 10 total, right? 2 out already and 2 on Friday). Also, we're never getting Overturn: Mecha Wars, are we?

I've got 1000 points burning a hole in my pocket. Do we have any idea when Cave Story is coming out. Have never played it and would love to play it first on WiiWare. Otherwise I might buy just some other random thing.

Chuckman

One thing I've been wanting ever since Nintendo added the Virtual Console Arcade is the original Nintendo arcade games. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Mario Bros etc etc. Will we ever see these? I don't know why Nintendo doesn't put them up there. It seems like a license to print (even more) money. There's nothing on the Virtual Console Arcade I want more than Donkey Kong. I'm really hoping for this. I'd love for them add online leaderboards too, but I don't want to push my luck.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Got 2600 points. Need Recommendations for Wiiware:

NyxQuest - Almost a lock after playing through the demo.
Bit Trip games - which one is the best?
FFCC: Darklord - Really enjoyed the demo, but are there DLC's I have to be aware of?
Monkey Island games - Heard they were buggy, any truth?
Muscle March - might have to get that out of sheer hilarity.

Any other games I should look out for?

dovella said:

Being embarrassed by a mod (aptly) renaming your thread and having everyone pointing out how stupid you'd been obviously didn't put you off your little crusade. Everyone posting here is well aware of the failings of Nintendo's DRM system and I don't think they don't need you cross-linking to your tantrum.

GeekyDad

BorkBork said:

FFCC: Darklord - Really enjoyed the demo, but are there DLC's I have to be aware of?

Absolute "yes" on NyxQuest
Yes to BitTrip Beat
No on Darklord
Haven't played the remakes of Monkey Island, but do I really have to to say, "yes"?
Maybe on Muscle March. I like it, and I'd recommend it for every Wii owner, but there are many other WiiWare games that should come before it.

Other games? LostWinds and LostWinds 2 should be at the top of your list if you don't already own them, and of course, the new Castlevania ReBirth.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
BorkBork said:

I highly recommend Swords and Soldiers. IMO, that's the best game out for the Wiiware service. Also, check out Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH, Toki Tori, and Spaceball Revolution if you like puzzle games.

BorkBork said:

I don't have the others, but NyxQuest and Bit.Trip Beat are both worth playing.

Cosmonaut X said:
Being embarrassed by a mod (aptly) renaming your thread and having everyone pointing out how stupid you'd been obviously didn't put you off your little crusade. Everyone posting here is well aware of the failings of Nintendo's DRM system and I don't think they don't need you cross-linking to your tantrum.
Exactly. I don't see the point in the rant.

I know that when I buy my $5 game on DSiware. It's locked to that DSi unless it dies. At which point I will take it to Nintendo to get it transferred to a new one.

This is also why Nintendo isn't going to get my money on a DSi XL. And if they are smart about it, they'll change it. But if not. I can still live with my purchases.

Flakster99

AdroitOne said:
With this and plenty of other DSiWare games that have released over the year, it is pretty hard for me to keep resisting to buy a DSi. I might get one when the XL comes out.

Yup. There are 5 games that I am interesting in purchasing, it is time to make that jump.

Flakster99 said:
Yup. There are 5 games that I am interesting in purchasing, it is time to make that jump.
I'm coming close to filling the DSi internal memory. That's how many games I've bought. :lol

zigg

AlphaTwo00 said:
I'm coming close to filling the DSi internal memory. That's how many games I've bought. :lol

Just coming close? I think I've half-emptied mine four times now... Boxlife got the boot last night—I think I almost shed an actual tear—for Chronos Twin(s) and Dark Void (and also Robot Rescue because I had 200 points that I just couldn't leave alone and I intended to check it out someday anyway... even though I have less time for it now than I did when it came out... but it's cool!)

Anyway, Chronos Twin has dangerously amateurish art and cutscenes, replete with "we translated this ourselves" gaffes, but the game is thus far fantastic, very competent-feeling, and hard. I am such a sucker for games that carry familiar mechanics but then twist my brain up in novel ways.

Definitely worth the 500. And I'm still curious if it's exactly the same game as on WiiWare.

(I also poked at Trajectile a little bit more. Dammit, blu.)

BorkBork said:
To buy all the DLC does something like quintuple the cost of the game, but there's a full experience to be had by just ignoring it. So far I bought one stage pack (which I haven't beaten yet) and Kain out of curiosity.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
(I also poked at Trajectile a little bit more. Dammit, blu.)
and i broke away from the evil spell thanks to starship defense! i'm free!.. yuppeee! no more trajectile on my lunchbreaks!

ok, lunchbreak time *boots up starship defense*

I've been playing Boxlife a lot recently. Do the higher difficulty levels have some sort of AI to drop the bombs in the most inopportune places possible? Seriously, wtf.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
dovella said:

What's the point on keeping up with this shit?
Also, what's the point in being signed up on Gaf when there's no reading comprehension nor the ability to write the language?
I don't want to be rude, I'm just asking... oh, wait. :)

P.S.
I've also sent you a pm on how to retrieve your "Wii Shop" games. Written in italian ;)

gogojira

Any tips on what to spend my 200 remaining points on for DSi (North America)? I'm interested in one of the Electroplankton downloads having never bought the original, but I have a hard time imagining a bite-sized portion of the game is going to hold up.

gogojira said:
Any tips on what to spend my 200 remaining points on for DSi (North America)? I'm interested in one of the Electroplankton downloads having never bought the original, but I have a hard time imagining a bite-sized portion of the game is going to hold up.
Solitaire!! It has two modes (Spider and Klondike) and several difficulties and keeps track of your wins. Very basic but the handling is nice and you WILL play it very often!

gogojira said:

Bird & Beans (Pyoro), this was one of the most addicting titles of '09 for me.

gogojira said:
I got Robot Rescue with my remaining 200 points, and it's pretty good.

zigg

cooljeanius said:
I got Robot Rescue with my remaining 200 points, and it's pretty good.

Seconded, I did that exact thing this week. :D Haven't played it much, though, still working on Chronos Twin.

Top Bottom