• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2010

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The release of Fast Draw Showdown brings the number of lightgun shooters on the Wii to 18, by my count.

date released - title [publisher] - Metacritic score
July 3, 2007 - Chicken Shoot [Destination Software] - 27
November 13, 2007 - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles [Capcom] - 75
November 19, 2007 - Link's Crossbow Training [Nintendo] - 68
November 20, 2007 - Ghost Squad [Sega] - 69
March 11, 2008 - The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return [Sega] - 66
April 22, 2008 - Target: Terror [Konami] - 33
August 4, 2008 - Wild West Guns {WiiWare} [Gameloft] - 65
October 28, 2008 - Nerf N-Strike [EA] - 66
February 10, 2009 - The House of the Dead: Overkill [Sega] - 78
June 16, 2009 - Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger Pack [Majesco] - 31
September 15, 2009 - Chicken Blaster [Zoo Games] - 33
September 28, 2009 - Dead Space: Extraction [EA] - 82
October 19, 2009 - Shootanto: Evolutionary Mayhem {WiiWare} [Hudson] - 50
October 26, 2009 - Nerf 2: N-Strike Elite [EA] - 71
November 2, 2009 - Carnival King {WiiWare} [Incredible Technologies] - 70
November 17, 2009 - Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles [Capcom] - 75
December 21, 2009 - Eco Shooter: Plant 530 {WiiWare} [Nintendo] - 70
January 4, 2010 - Fast Draw Showdown {WiiWare} [Digital Leisure] - 65

Sega: 3
EA: 3
Capcom: 2
Nintendo: 2
Destination Software: 1
Digital Leisure: 1
Gameloft: 1
Hudson: 1
Incredible Technologies: 1
Konami: 1
Majesco: 1
Zoo Games: 1

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ogre battle 64 is on the japanese VC upcoming release list, right?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Danthrax said:
The release of Fast Draw Showdown brings the number of lightgun shooters on the Wii to 18, by my count.

date released - title [publisher] - Metacritic score
July 3, 2007 - Chicken Shoot [Destination Software] - 27
November 13, 2007 - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles [Capcom] - 75
November 19, 2007 - Link's Crossbow Training [Nintendo] - 68
November 20, 2007 - Ghost Squad [Sega] - 69
March 11, 2008 - The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return [Sega] - 66
April 22, 2008 - Target: Terror [Konami] - 33
August 4, 2008 - Wild West Guns {WiiWare} [Gameloft] - 65
October 28, 2008 - Nerf N-Strike [EA] - 66
February 10, 2009 - The House of the Dead: Overkill [Sega] - 78
June 16, 2009 - Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger Pack [Majesco] - 31
September 15, 2009 - Chicken Blaster [Zoo Games] - 33
September 28, 2009 - Dead Space: Extraction [EA] - 82
October 19, 2009 - Shootanto: Evolutionary Mayhem {WiiWare} [Hudson] - 50
October 26, 2009 - Nerf 2: N-Strike Elite [EA] - 71
November 2, 2009 - Carnival King {WiiWare} [Incredible Technologies] - 70
November 17, 2009 - Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles [Capcom] - 75
December 21, 2009 - Eco Shooter: Plant 530 {WiiWare} [Nintendo] - 70
January 4, 2010 - Fast Draw Showdown {WiiWare} [Digital Leisure] - 65

Sega: 3
EA: 3
Capcom: 2
Nintendo: 2
Destination Software: 1
Digital Leisure: 1
Gameloft: 1
Hudson: 1
Incredible Technologies: 1
Konami: 1
Majesco: 1
Zoo Games: 1
Where's my Virtua Cop compilation, Sega?

Wizpig

Castlevania...ExciteBike...Punch-Out...

Jesus christ, NoE.
lyre said:
Shitty Wiiware week next Moonsday.
Another week without Cave Story and release of Phoenix Wright GBA port (the one without case 5).
This is not entirely true.
They removed case 5, and they will sell it separately, but the quality of the WiiWare version is at least DS-like, I read.
Graphics and music-wise.

Other than that, who cares?
The series doesn't belong to Wii, iPod or PC.
It belongs to GBA and DS. :mad:

panda21

are reflect missile/trajectile/starship patrol guys announced making any more dsiware games? both of them are really good

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Finally got time to buy Final Fight 3. Man, it's awesome!

First off, the story is amazingly cheesy. Haggar is now the f'ing MAYOR :lol yet finds plenty of time during his busy schedule to keep himself absolutely ripped. I love how the female detective wears Daisy Dukes. I started playing as Guy and am having a blast using his 1000 Blows move.

BooJoh

Diseased Yak said:

First off, the story is amazingly cheesy. Haggar is now the f'ing MAYOR :lol yet finds plenty of time during his busy schedule to keep himself absolutely ripped. I love how the female detective wears Daisy Dukes. I started playing as Guy and am having a blast using his 1000 Blows move.
Wasn't Haggar the mayor in the first Final Fight...? That was the whole plot IIRC. Mayor's daughter kidnapped.

Wizpig said:
Jesus christ, NoE.This is not entirely true.
They removed case 5, and they will sell it separately, but the quality of the WiiWare version is at least DS-like, I read.
Graphics and music-wise.

Other than that, who cares?
The press release they did yesterday says case 5 will be out in May and will cost 100 points (which is odd since in Japan it'll cost 300 and their game is only 100 points cheaper as well).

As for who cares. People who missed the series on DS and can't find any affordable copies of it anymore. All I'll say is good for them.

Oh yeah, here is a video of case 1 in the Japanese version (which like the DS version also has an English option) if anyone wants to see how it looks. Maybe some of the sound effects are slightly better but as far as the music goes...it seems to be the DS version (I guess that is to be expected with WiiWare; I recall FF After Years sounding like the DS FFIV).

Diseased Yak said:

holy, where have you been the last 20 years?
Haggar was the major from day one(Final Fight arcade)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Diseased Yak said:
:lol To say nothing of his penchant for wearing ultra-tight green spandex biker shorts, green suspenders, and combat boots complete with kneepads!
That's his Saturday Night Slam Masters outfit. Respect.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
iamaustrian said:
holy, where have you been the last 20 years?
Haggar was the major from day one(Final Fight arcade)

ROFL that makes it even more funny! :lol I need to go back and play the first two. I never really paid attention to the plot before (such as it is).

Nuclear Muffin said:
Hooray! at least they haven't forgotten about the VC! Shadow Dancer
Fixed. Seriously,
Japan: 2nd Dec 2006
Europe: 8th Jan 2009

25 months. That'll probably hold record for longest overseas release of a VC game for a little while.

Olorin

Just got Tomena Sanner, and it's a crazy game. One second you're kissing a Japanese gothic lolita, next an anthropomorphic giraffe farts in your general direction.
It's a very short game, but it's something to just pick up and play for 10 minutes. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but that's probably even more fun. (although the lack of GameCube controller support means I'll only be able to play with 2 players) Online leaderboards is a nice feature though.
At only 500 points, it's a good deal, but it would have been great if there were a few more levels and some multiplayer/controller options.

I'm running into a new problem. I'm out of Wii memory for SD swap file.

In my recent purchase of Gyrostarr, Castlevania and Driift Racer, I've nudged the number of save games on my Wii past 100. When I tried to load Gyrostarr, I was thrown the error "not enough space".

Sure enough, Gyrostarr is like ~250 blocks, and I had 230 blocks left on my Wii. I finally, and reluctantly deleted the old WiiFit channel (Plus in Canada does KG only).

I can see that very soon I will run out of system memory to even do the SD file loading. Hopefully something gets announced soon (new hardware, new way of loading/saving to SD as one giant memory bank, whatever)

sfried said:
Thank you. I'm glad someone out there mentioned Glow Artisan.
I did ask for impressions in the last thread but got no response. I really want to try it but I can't without at least seeing a video. It's bizarre, the concept sounds way too confusing in print but it's probably completely simple in practice; a video should be the first thing the dev released, yet there's still no videos for it anywhere.

So no buy.

dock

DSIware shop just updated in Europe.

Art Academy Second Semester looks interesting, but I'm confused as to why there are multiple ones of this title at 800 pts a pop. I'd quite like an art package on my DSi though, especially with the slightly larger screen.

Rollway looks interesting, but I have plenty of those sorts of games on my iphone.

I wish there was more stuff DSiware though.

Yoschi

dock said:
DSIware shop just updated in Europe.

Art Academy Second Semester looks interesting, but I'm confused as to why there are multiple ones of this title at 800 pts a pop. I'd quite like an art package on my DSi though, especially with the slightly larger screen.

Rollway looks interesting, but I have plenty of those sorts of games on my iphone.

I wish there was more stuff DSiware though.

Second Semester is mine, yeah!
I think 1600 points might seem a bit greedy, but i think it's worth it still, at least if you're into artsy stuff. Read the reviews or ask me a question if you want to know something specific you're unsure about:
http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/09/art_academy_first_semester_dsiware
http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/10/art_academy_second_semester_dsiware

BooJoh

While I'm not terribly interested in Rollway, I am interested in how well the camera functions as a tilt mechanism. If anyone gets it, it'd be nice to hear how well it works, how responsive, how finicky it is with lighting, etc.

Rollway is awesome! The music is great and everything.

I bought it tonight while in bed. There it did not work properly. But here in the living room it works perfectly fine. It feels responsive and all. The only thing I noticed already is it gets a bit out of sync over time.

But anyway! Buy this game, it's 500P only! This effort needs to be bought.

edit: You can use the "Instant-Break" to do a resync everytime. It works great that way. So the biggest complain about the game is not that big anymore :D

Jethro said:
Shadow Dancer is banned in Germany?:lol What is this game?
Germans are saying it got indexed (isn't that referring to its original release though?). Also, Germany is missing Stop Stress but in that case the USK did rate that...18+ (which baffles everyone who has actually played it).

Its odd since they still mention them in the news post with a note saying they are not available.

So today I downloaded some DSiWare. I got Mighty Flip Champs, Art Style: Boxlife, Dragon Quest Wars, and Robot Rescue. Mighty Flip Champs is good. The retro graphics and sound effects are charming, plus the puzzles get tricky quickly. I gave up trying to improve my speed after the first few ones because it was getting hard enough to just do the levels. When I first went into it, I tried jumping, forgetting it wasn't a platformer... I'm up to like the 7th or 8th pattern in Boxlife. I don't know how I'm going to remember all these patterns... I guess if I just play it enough, as I do seem to be getting better the more I play... I already finished the missions in Dragon Quest Wars. They're kinda puzzly, even though it's supposed to be a strategy game. Doing one move in the wrong order can mess everything up. I'll post my friend code for it once I go online with it. Robot Rescue is good, but it seems like it has lower production values than the rest. The puzzles are hard, even in the tutorial/easy levels. I'm almost done with the easy levels though. It's kinda weird how robots next to the hinge overlap from one screen to the next... although I suppose it's useful as it helps reminds me there's no column in between the two screens.

Somnid

Japan's Update For Week of 1/10/2010:

VC:
Parodius (MSX, 800pts, Konami)
Salamander (MSX, 800pts, Konami)

DSiWare:
at Chess: Challenge Spirits (200pts, Tasuke)
GG series: D-Tank (200pts, Genterprise)
Artist ni Narou! Minna no Nurie Joukyuu Hen (500pts, Ertain)
Pinball Attack (500pts, ArtePiazza)
Genius Panel English->Japanese Rakubiki Jiten (800pts, Nintendo)
Genius Panel Japanese->English Rakubiki Jiten (800pts, Nintendo)

Neither of those MSX releases are worth 800 points.

Choppy scrolling, hideous framerate, so on and so forth.

I was so looking forward to playing these games when I got Konami's MSX Antiques collection for the Saturn. Turned out I got more mileage out of fuckin' Antarctic Adventure.

The choppiness doesn't make them bad, per se, though it can be off-putting. Parodius for MSX was the very first game in the series, and had its scrolling smoothed out in the Parodius Portable collection for PSP. Salamander for MSX was quite different, but ballbustingly hard. Too bad it wasn't included in the PSP collection.

d+pad

Somnid said:
Japan's Update For Week of 1/10/2010:

VC:
Parodius (MSX, 800pts, Konami)
Salamander (MSX, 800pts, Konami)

What's up with the 800-point price for these two? Aren't MSX releases usually 500 points?

I'd buy Parodius in a heartbeat if I had a Japanese Wii. I know the scrolling is choppy as hell and the game itself is hard (and cheap) as hell, but I have a soft spot in my heart for it :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
trajectile is great. fridge is full. business as usual in nintendoland.

Somnid

d+pad said:
What's up with the 800-point price for these two? Aren't MSX releases usually 500 points?

I'd buy Parodius in a heartbeat if I had a Japanese Wii. I know the scrolling is choppy as hell and the game itself is hard (and cheap) as hell, but I have a soft spot in my heart for it :D

No MSX are usually 800.

andymcc

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I was so looking forward to playing these games when I got Konami's MSX Antiques collection for the Saturn. Turned out I got more mileage out of fuckin' Antarctic Adventure.

the msx shmups were the reason i bought it several years ago... man, i think i use that disc primarily to play during parties to make fun of athletic land. :lol

The Saturn version was the one to get. Had all three volumes of the PS1 MSX Antiques on a single disc, and it was glorious. (Sony still hasn't put vol. 3 up on Japanese PSN for some crazy reason.)

HUELEN10

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: WHEN YOU SEE THIS WEEK'S DOWNLOADS, YOU WILL HAVE NO...OBJECTION!

Jan. 11, 2010

Courtroom intrigue with everyone's favorite Ace Attorney leads this week's Nintendo Download. For the first time, players can use the Wii Remote™ controller to help them balance the scales of justice. Six other games join this week's lineup, including some temporal adventures and a puzzle game based on shadows, not to mention new twists on solitaire, billiards and word searches. A classic Genesis mahjong video game rounds out the list.

WiiWare™

Phoenix Wright™: Ace Attorney
Publisher: Capcom
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Blood, Language, Suggestive Themes, Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Meet Phoenix Wright, the rookie defense lawyer new to the scene with the wildest cross-examination skills in town. Take on four intriguing cases to reveal dramatic, stunning and even comical court proceedings. Use the Wii Remote controller to investigate the crime scenes, question witnesses and present shocking evidence.

Chronos Twins DX
Publisher: EnjoyUp Games
ESRB Rating: E 10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Animated Blood, Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: Enter into the original world of Chronos Twins DX to live a fantastic adventure full of innovative ideas. Thanks to its Dual Gameplay game system, you'll be able to control Nec in two temporal scenarios at the same time. Chronos Twins DX mixes action, platforms, adventure and puzzles to challenge your intelligence and ability.

ShadowPlay
Publisher: Deep Fried Entertainment
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Alcohol Reference
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Welcome to ShadowPlay. Let your imagination run wild when light meets everyday objects to create fascinating shadows. Play and experiment, make a monster out of a pineapple, a dolphin out of a banana - the only limit is your imagination. ShadowPlay challenges players by transforming shadows into more than 100 exciting, unique puzzles. As more challenging puzzles are unlocked, players will have to find more creative ways to solve problems. You will never look at a slice of pizza the same way again! Winning a round will allow players to advance to the next level as well as score another item to use in the Free Play Mode, where you can unleash your imagination and create your own shadow art. Family and friends can also jump in to help tackle a puzzle at any time using Local Co-op Mode. ShadowPlay will provide tons of brain-racking fun for players of all ages. How do you ShadowPlay?

Nintendo DSiWare™

Touch Solitaire
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Touch Solitaire features two of the most popular versions of the world-famous card game - Spider and Klondike - with simple touch-screen controls and an easy-to-understand interface. In Spider, the aim is to arrange cards in piles of a single suit from King down to Ace, thereby removing the pile from play. When all cards are removed, you win the game. The goal of Klondike is to arrange cards from Ace to King in piles, one for each suit, on the four foundations. You win when all cards have been moved to the foundations. Various difficulty levels are available for Spider and Klondike, allowing beginners or experts to enjoy the game at their own pace.

Jazzy Billiards
Publisher: Aksys Games
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Challenge intelligent computers or even your friends to a traditional game of 9-ball while enjoying mind-soothing music with Jazzy Billiards. Take advantage of the intuitive stylus mechanic to aim and hit the cue ball with varying strength to sink the other balls. Defeat your opponents by being the first to sink the 9-ball. Jazzy Billiards' Stage Mode features nine different stages, each with an opponent of ascending difficulty. Find out how many computers you can defeat in a row with Challenge Mode, or challenge your friends to a game of 9-ball in Versus Mode.

Word Searcher
Publisher: Digital Leisure Inc.
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: You'll need a sharp eye and a quick mind to complete these 100 themed word search puzzles. Word Searcher contains fun words from multiple categories including anatomy, world cities and U.S. presidents. Packed with a huge assortment of subjects to choose from, there's sure to be a puzzle anyone will enjoy. Help improve your vocabulary, memory and problem-solving skills with these challenging puzzles. Keep track of, and try to beat, your own play-through times again and again as words are scrambled every time you play. Get your thinking cap on and conquer all 100 today.

Virtual Console™

Shanghai® II: Dragon's Eye
Original platform: Genesis
Publisher: SEGA
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: The ancient pastime of mahjong solitaire is reinvented as an interactive video game where each tile you remove may be your last. Discover enchanting music, fun animation and exciting obstacles that are built in to this intriguing board game that will keep you engaged for hours. This classic title challenges you to clear the board by removing matching pairs of tiles. Play the traditional Shanghai® II or take the game to a new dimension with Dragon's Eye. Don't let the simple rules deceive you - the depth and intricacy of this challenge will become your new obsession very soon.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.
Damn Skippy?

Don't know whether I want to buy Phoenix Wright WiiWare or not. Got all the PW games on DS but being able to play on a big screen may just tempt me...

zigg

Not a bad week to have to send my DSi in for repair...

(L button's dying on me. Pinball Pulse is probably to blame--I know I was playing it when it started flaking out. I am sort of amused that I never had the slightest shoulder button problem on the Lite, despite all the other reports... and now here I am.)

Volcynika said:
Isn't Chronos Twins kind of a cool concept but also hard as fuck?
The DS game would've been great, except it does its best to make your brain explode. It doesn't take long for both screens to require a ridiculous amount of attention. The first level or two are tough but doable, and the difficulty only ramps up from there. The last time I had a similar sensation was coming to grips with the controls in Gunvalkyrie. At any rate, I'm not sure how straightforward of a port this is as far as gameplay goes, but unfortunately iirc the Wiiware version has some rather unappealing poly based graphics, which is a shame because the DS game had very sexy pixel art imo. Of course, I managed to snag the import brand spanking new for less shipped than the Wiiware version costs (!), so that's always an option if you're into it.

mclem

I thought the Phoenix Wright Wiiware titles were splitting up the cases, but that reads like the entire thing in one game. Different between Japan and western countries?

Top Bottom