• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2010

Somnid

mclem said:
I thought the Phoenix Wright Wiiware titles were splitting up the cases, but that reads like the entire thing in one game. Different between Japan and western countries?

Extra case is not included. It'll be sold seperately.

swerve said:
Nintendo Solitaire is one of the most played games of 2009 for me. And will be for 2010, too. And 2011.

Heh mine too and Sujin Taisen und Starship Patrol. Best three games on DSi for me.

Ranger X

CAREFUL WITH PHOENIX WRIGHT HERE...

Not only it's a cheap upscaled port from the DS version, you don't even have the last case "rise from the ashes" in there. It will be released later.

Capcom sure won't see a penny from me.

Somnid

Ranger X said:

Not only it's a cheap upscaled port from the DS version, you don't even have the last case "rise from the ashes" in there. It will be released later.

It's kinda funny as bad as this is it's also the cheapest and easiest way to play the series if you haven't already. That and the more I think about it, if you did own the game on DS there's little reason to play it again anyway since it has no replay value.

zigg

Somnid said:
It's kinda funny as bad as this is it's also the cheapest and easiest way to play the series if you haven't already. That and the more I think about it, if you did own the game on DS there's little reason to play it again anyway since it has no replay value.

Well, eh, I could see it having the same value as rereading a book, and I'll do that from time to time.

But that's certainly not enough value to rebuy what's already sitting on my shelf.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Can we realistically expect Ogre Battle 64 in the near future, or is it going to be in a Cave Story like limbo?

zigg said:
Well, eh, I could see it having the same value as rereading a book, and I'll do that from time to time.

But that's certainly not enough value to rebuy what's already sitting on my shelf.
Speaking of books I think the best analogy is buying the large text paperback version when you already own the hardback edition.

Somnid

Archie said:
Can we realistically expect Ogre Battle 64 in the near future, or is it going to be in a Cave Story like limbo?

Well Japan gets it this month so everyone else should get it around the same time. It's been OFLC rated so I wouldn't expect long delays.

Archie said:
Unlike Cave Story I don't see anything that could stop Ogre Battle 64 from seeing release...well...aside from NoA/NoE dickery of course.

Cave Story on the other hand is it even finished? Has it been properly tested? Does it even exist?

I never played Phoenix Wright before, so I'm considering getting the Wiiware game. My friends played it, though, and they seem to like it a lot.

Ill probably go ahead and get this Wiiware release. Probably not today, though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Unlike Cave Story I don't see anything that could stop Ogre Battle 64 from seeing release...well...aside from NoA/NoE dickery of course.

Cave Story on the other hand is it even finished? Has it been properly tested? Does it even exist?

I'm starting to doubt it. :(

bon

Somnid said:
Yeah, $11 is a great price for the whole game. It doesn't look that bad anyway, pretty much like a SNES game.

zigg

Why would you do that? said:
I never played Phoenix Wright before, so I'm considering getting the Wiiware game. My friends played it, though, and they seem to like it a lot.

Ill probably go ahead and get this Wiiware release. Probably not today, though.

It's not a bad deal at all. Particularly considering the out-of-printness of the DS game.

I'd hesitate to do it on a non-LCD, though. Just asking for IR/burn-in with those blue borders.

Hobbun

zigg said:
It's not a bad deal at all. Particularly considering the out-of-printness of the DS game.

I'd hesitate to do it on a non-LCD, though. Just asking for IR/burn-in with those blue borders.

Well, there are other tv’s besides LCDs that don’t have burn in. I have an SXRD and have no issue at all with burn-in. In fact, the only tv I know you do have burn-in issues with is a plasma.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ranger X said:

72zy12.gif

:(

zigg said:
The Ace Attorney logos in the borders moves about. I would hope it was more than a pointless effect...

That said I'm curious to know. Are the blue borders there in 4:3 mode? Or are Black borders worse for burn-in...wait, burn-in I thought they wiped that out...so much for modern TVs...

zigg

Re burn-in: I'm just guessing. Even if the logo moves, the area is still constantly blue, isn't it? It'd be exercising the blue phosphors and not the red/green.

I doubt they could make the game without the borders because of overscan.

I mean, really, it probably wouldn't be a big deal on a TV that's used for a variety of things.

I'm probably overworrying. How many hours are we seriously talking to play through the series, here?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
I'm probably overworrying. How many hours are we seriously talking to play through the series, here?
to get it to the state of irreversible burn in you'd have to really give it more than a few hours. to get a ghastly short-term memory effect for the rest of the evening 15min would suffice.

apropos, LCD have a 'burn in' effect too (but that has nothing to do with the phosphorus one)

mclem

Count Dookkake said:
Wish they'd put Shanghai on the DS, but I bet the tiles would be hard to read. :(

Small graphic lower screen, click on them, big graphic on upper screen; a bit like how ScummVM does things. Perfect.

Ranger X said:

Why should people who haven't played it be careful? Used copies go for ~20 dollars, don't they? New substantially more? You're saying they should miss out on a great game that's out of print because you don't like DLC? These games sell well, we'll get the sequels. We get the sequels, maybe Capcom sees interest in a Wii-specific version. Right? This is a win-win.

I say if you haven't played Phoenix Wright, give it a shot. It's a great price for a great game, and if you find out these "interactive novels" aren't for you, you're out one lunch.

Ranger X

metsallica said:
Why should people who haven't played it be careful? Used copies go for ~20 dollars, don't they? New substantially more? You're saying they should miss out on a great game that's out of print because you don't like DLC? These games sell well, we'll get the sequels. We get the sequels, maybe Capcom sees interest in a Wii-specific version. Right? This is a win-win.

I say if you haven't played Phoenix Wright, give it a shot. It's a great price for a great game, and if you find out these "interactive novels" aren't for you, you're out one lunch.

It's just info. There's ALOT of people like me that would have bought it again for the joy of playing it on the couch if the graphics were PC version quality (something that would have been super easy and cheap to do in cost) and/or that would contain at least 2 games in one. Now it's a cheap port and it doesn't even contain the full game. People shall then be warned of that.

If you never played Phoenix and you don't own a DS, dive in. The game still is excellent.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
:lol :lol Tomena Sanner.

We had a blast tonight, laughing so hard with 3 buddies of mine playing and leaderboards are cool incentive for single player mode as well. I just wish there were more levels, but Turbo mode's definitely a step-up!

500 points.
Go for it! :)

Dragmire

Ranger X said:

I thought it was established in the announcement thread or something that the WiiWare version is a port of the PC version, which is a higher res than the DS and not upscaled at all. I'm not positive of that information, it may have been assumed by people, but I remembered reading it. And the extra case is only a dollar. A quick search shows that the DS version starts at $18.99 used on eBay. I played the first two Pheonix Wright games, but I plan on getting the third on WiiWare.

t3nmilez

Count Dookkake said:
Wish they'd put Shanghai on the DS, but I bet the tiles would be hard to read. :(

There's a retail Shanghai DS title in Japan, one of the earlier games on the system. Plays fine, touch screen control is perfect and I never had any problem reading the titles. I'd buy it instantly if it came out on DSiWare.

Heh, it always annoys me to see Shanghai referred as "Mahjong", though! I never understood how that naming came about in the west, the only thing they have in common is that they use the same tiles. It would be like if that new solitaire DSi game was called poker for some reason.

Ranger X

Dragmire said:
I thought it was established in the announcement thread or something that the WiiWare version is a port of the PC version, which is a higher res than the DS and not upscaled at all. I'm not positive of that information, it may have been assumed by people, but I remembered reading it. And the extra case is only a dollar. A quick search shows that the DS version starts at $18.99 used on eBay. I played the first two Pheonix Wright games, but I plan on getting the third on WiiWare.

Nah, go look in the Phoenix Wright thread, there are images of the DS and the PC version. It's clearly a DS port here. And I also said it's an excellent game if you don't own it.

Stalfos

Culex said:
I'm hoping we see Ogre Battle 64 before Valentines Day.
Has there been indication that this will show up at some point, like a rating by the ESRB? This is one of the N64 games that I missed out on and I'd love to pick it up on VC if it was released.

Dragmire

Ranger X said:
Nah, go look in the Phoenix Wright thread, there are images of the DS and the PC version. It's clearly a DS port here. And I also said it's an excellent game if you don't own it.

Whoa, that does suck.... Wonder why they would do that.

zigg

Ranger X said:

I have seriously not been following this hard-core—why would I really care other than to recommend the game to other people? I have all four DS games on my shelf and they're not leaving my possession!—but the impression I got is that the PC version is pretty much done exactly the same way, with upscaled DS screens and a few hi-res port-specific screens thrown in.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18552207&postcount=349

ou8pk6.jpg

2nhopbm.jpg

And in a few posts starting with http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18555187#post18555187 it seems that the oft-quoted PC image might be, as Jocchan puts it, "apparently some sort of benchmark with fancy graphics where Phoenix questions your computer's ability to run the much shittier-looking actual game".

So, yes, it's not lovely, and I would have rather seen them use the hi-res assets too, but it also seems that it's not like they went all-out for the PC version either? Someone who actually knows the truth, please do correct me if I'm wrong.

bryehn

Chronos Twins is crazy hard and I feel like I'm playing some kind of brain exercise, but it's also pretty good and I like the music. The art is kind of ugly though.

Volcynika

bryehn said:
Chronos Twins is crazy hard and I feel like I'm playing some kind of brain exercise, but it's also pretty good and I like the music. The art is kind of ugly though.

Are the controls easy to manage or is that a bit of a challenge in and of itself? I'm not sure how it's controlled at all, so that's why I'm asking. D:

t3nmilez said:
Heh, it always annoys me to see Shanghai referred as "Mahjong", though! I never understood how that naming came about in the west, the only thing they have in common is that they use the same tiles. It would be like if that new solitaire DSi game was called poker for some reason.
I do remember hearing an answer about a month ago, it went something along the line of the first person to release a PC version in the west named the game Mahjongg. Come to think of didn't the name Wiimote pre-date the name Wii Remote hence when most people refer to them they call them Wiimotes.

bryehn

Volcynika said:
Are the controls easy to manage or is that a bit of a challenge in and of itself? I'm not sure how it's controlled at all, so that's why I'm asking. D:

The controls are ok, playing on a CC. B is shoot on low screen, X to shoot on top and everything else is jump.

The challenge comes from trying to pay attention to both halves of the screen and having to take everything really slow, like a step-by-step basis.

It's really tough even 5-6 stages in, but it has a very forgiving checkpoint system.

Shafto

Any impressions of Phoenix Wright yet?

Big fan of the DS games, and sort of fancy getting it on Wii Ware. Does it sound awesome?

Amalthea

Banned
bryehn said:

Yeah, playing the DS-version felt like I'm frying my brain. It's really challenging on a cognitive level.

Ok, someone from germany or austria please help me(I'm going nuts):
could someone please log onto Dsiware shop and check if they can find "Foto Face: The Face Stealer Strikes" (800 points).

It should be out in EU since 4th dec 2009 but I can't find it on the shop.
I know people saw it on UK Dsiware shop but it seems to be gone from the german/austrian/whatever shop.
thank you

zigg

Shafto said:
Big fan of the DS games, and sort of fancy getting it on Wii Ware. Does it sound awesome?

Just replay the DS games. There is literally no improvement that I've heard of.

These are basically for people who missed their chance to track down the DS games or don't own a DS.

iamaustrian said:
Ok, someone from germany or austria please help me(I'm going nuts):
could someone please log onto Dsiware shop and check if they can find "Foto Face: The Face Stealer Strikes" (800 points).

It should be out in EU since 4th dec 2009 but I can't find it on the shop.
I know people saw it on UK Dsiware shop but it seems to be gone from the german/austrian/whatever shop.
thank you
I've never heard of this one and I've not seen it in the store either. I'm checking there every friday so it was never up there it seems. :(

sorry for double but this msg is from my dsi and waiting for the end of the page to edit is a pain.

I rechecked with using the search feature inside the DSi Channel and it´s up there! It´sa premium title for 800p and made by EA!
search by title and use "face". It´s the only game showing up so far.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ranger X said:
Dragmire said:
I thought it was established in the announcement thread or something that the WiiWare version is a port of the PC version, which is a higher res than the DS and not upscaled at all.
Nah, go look in the Phoenix Wright thread, there are images of the DS and the PC version

Once again, this so-called higher res PC version DOES NOT EXIST.
It's just a port of the GBA version, same for Justice For All.

That is all.

Top Bottom