• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2010

great news:
Legends Of Exidia this friday for 800 points in EU

2nbeptw.jpg

fjnb0p.jpg

30wqwbo.jpg

2d8kra9.jpg

ITA84

^ I'm mildly interested in that game, even though its looks (and the developer) make me think it might not be a good game. Waiting for reviews or comments, cause I'm saving my points for Dark Void Zero.

ITA84 said:
^ I'm mildly interested in that game, even though its looks (and the developer) make me think it might not be a good game. Waiting for reviews or comments, cause I'm saving my points for Dark Void Zero.

gameloft gets way to much hate IMO.
most of their games are great fun(yes, there are a few stinkers) and technicaly impressive(may it be DSIware or Wiiware).

Gamasutra has done several interesting postmortems by Wiiware developers and I don't think anyone has been linking to them.

Here's one that just went up today from the developers of NyxQuest:

Postmortem: Over the Top Games' NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits

An interesting part:
Our modest offices are located in the top of a mechanical shop in the suburbs of Madrid, Spain. In this stage of global crisis, the different media in Spain clearly saw that four young "boys" started to develop a game on their own, with their own pocket money, and with very limited resources.

This created a lot of buzz in Spain and we were requested interviews by a lot of media: TV channels, newspapers and magazines. This definitely helped us to get better sales in our country and increase the awareness of our new studio. Too bad this didn't have any repercussion outside our borders.

All of the postmortems are well written and interesting if you want to know more about what it is like to be a small developer working on Wiiware. Here are the earlier ones:

Postmortem: Ronimo Games' Swords & Soldiers

Postmortem: Gaijin Games' BIT.TRIP BEAT

Postmortem: RiverMan Media's MadStone

donny2112 said:
Take off your tinfoil hat. Zelda 1 and 2 were on the collection disk and part of the NES Classics line for GBA.
They were, but not for months (Zelda 1) or more than a year (Zelda 2) after the GCN disc date. At least in the US.
You can't hurt sales of something that's not for sale.

Spocker

Confirmed games for Europe this week according to http://www.nintendo.co.uk:

Virtual Console:
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES, 800p)

WiiWare:
530 Eco Shooter (1000p)

DSiWare:
Legends of Exidia (800p)
Electroplankton: Luminarrow (200p)
Electroplankton: Sun-Animalcule (200p)

More might be coming, but seeing to the previous weeks I wouldn't hope for more

Spocker said:
Confirmed games for Europe this week according to http://www.nintendo.co.uk:

Virtual Console:
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES, 800p)

WiiWare:
530 Eco Shooter (1000p)

DSiWare:
Legends of Exidia (800p)
Electroplankton: Luminarrow (200p)
Electroplankton: Sun-Animalcule (200p)

More might be coming, but seeing to the previous weeks I wouldn't hope for more

Not a bad update, Eco Shooter is awesome.

BooJoh said:
Wasn't Shantae supposed to be coming soon too?
It was suppose to be released by the end of 09 but then they moved it to Q1 of this year. Still not solid date though.

Very interested to see how Legends Of Exidia turns out. Can't wait to see some reviews on it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ronimo Games on Sword & Soldiers (definitely on my WW's top5 games):

Ronimo Games on Gamasutra said:
In the end, we are very happy with the game; it definitely worked out pretty well for us. We have a great game as track record and we managed to make some money off it too. A game can't ask for much more than an 84 on Metacritic, a bunch of awards, and being called "one of the best RTS games for consoles".

We have plenty of ideas for a sequel and combined with the numerous ideas from our game's fans, we have more than enough to make the next Swords & Soldiers title even bigger and better.

FUCK YEAH,
Sword And Soldiers's SEQUEL confirmed! :D

GoldandBlue said:
It was suppose to be released by the end of 09 but then they moved it to Q1 of this year. Still not solid date though.

Very interested to see how Legends Of Exidia turns out. Can't wait to see some reviews on it.

I will post some impressions tomorrow morning. I'll get it tonight after midnight.
I hope it's at least decent.

Lijik

Rlan said:
In a weird twist, Legends of Exidia isn't as original as I was lead to believe - it's an enhanced update of a mobile game called Might and Magic 2, but now without the license and with enhanced graphics

Hopefully they can do enhanced updates of some of their old mobile platformers outside of Castle of Magic too. I loved the game they made for Die Hard 4.0 and they had some original IPs (well as far as original can get for Gameloft which means "Heavily inspired by) they could easily bring back.

ITA84

Rlan said:
In a weird twist, Legends of Exidia isn't as original as I was lead to believe - it's an enhanced update of a mobile game called Might and Magic 2, but now without the license and with enhanced graphics:

http://www.gameloft.com/mobile-games/might-and-magic-2/

Still, looks great for a pickup on DSiWare.

I haven't played the original, and most reviews I've read are favorable, like how it's one of the best games for mobile, but how does it compare to console games? Still, at that price it should be worth it anyhow.

Somnid

Rather slim VC lineup for Japan next month:

FC:
Mega Man 4 (Capcom)

SFC:
Super Famicom Wars (Nintendo)

MSX:
Quarth (Konami)
Contra (Konami)

MoxManiac

Somnid said:
Rather slim VC lineup for Japan next month:

FC:
Mega Man 4 (Capcom)

SFC:
Super Famicom Wars (Nintendo)

MSX:
Quarth (Konami)
Contra (Konami)

Megaman 4!

I'm hoping they'll roll out MM4/5/6 in the US VC in time for MM10.

Somnid

MoxManiac said:
Megaman 4!

I'm hoping they'll roll out MM4/5/6 in the US VC in time for MM10.

Before March? They have time for exactly 1 which should be 4. Need to save something for 11 and 12.

Hobbun

That Legends of Exidia looks interesting. I am assuming that was never released in NA? If not, would be nice to see a PAL import (so it’s in English) for NA. That’s if it was released in UK. Looks like that version is in German.

And I figured we wouldn’t get a localization for Rondo of Blood, although it is still disappointing. Will have to think more on if I will buy or not.

BooJoh

out0v0rder said:
ugggghhhhhh dsiwareeeeee bloooooowwwwsss stilllll
Seriously? Have you bought any at all?

It could certainly be better, but I think there's enough good content there to put it at least a step above "blows."

BooJoh said:
Seriously? Have you bought any at all?

It could certainly be better, but I think there's enough good content there to put it at least a step above "blows."
Yeah, a lot of it is forgettable, but the occasional gems like the recent Q-Games space games make me glad DSiWare is around.

Relatedly, I've decided that the crazy NA/EU naming thing (Trajectile/Reflect Missile, Starship Defense/Starship Patrol) going on is some sort of Tower of Babel punishment for Wii and DS hitting such high numbers.

Somnid

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, a lot of it is forgettable, but the occasional gems like the recent Q-Games space games make me glad DSiWare is around.

Relatedly, I've decided that the crazy NA/EU naming thing (Trajectile/Reflect Missile, Starship Defense/Starship Patrol) going on is some sort of Tower of Babel punishment for Wii and DS hitting such high numbers.

NOE should just let NOA name everything, because NOE's titles are never as good. I'm convinced they are the one's responsible for this.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Rlan said:
In a weird twist, Legends of Exidia isn't as original as I was lead to believe - it's an enhanced update of a mobile game called Might and Magic 2, but now without the license and with enhanced graphics:

1) Why was it called Might & Magic 2?

2) What connection (other than the title) did it have to any OTHER Might & Magic stuff?

Somnid said:
NOE should just let NOA name everything, because NOE's titles are never as good. I'm convinced they are the one's responsible for this.
Reflect Missile and Starship Patrol are the better ones imho
sure, you defend yourself but at a larger scale you attack the aliens on your patrol through space. ;)

btw: the game is getting hard as hell :( What's your progress anyone? I'm on the left at lvl 20 but the last 3 lvls I could not finish perfect :( Damn missile-immune ships and phantoms.

Since Sonic 3 is going to have lock on support, it'd be nice if Sega upgraded Sonic 2 as well so folks could play as Knuckles.

thetrin said:
Has anyone played Reflect Missile? I might just bite the bullet and download it, but I was curious if anyone else had tried it.

Get it, brilliantly addictive and I will also add, very inuitive gameplay! Long game with a TON of levels to master, well worth your 500 points.

sfog

Agent Unknown said:
Since Sonic 3 is going to have lock on support, it'd be nice if Sega upgraded Sonic 2 as well so folks could play as Knuckles.

Per their official video, (http://vc.sega.jp/vc_sandk/) the VC lock-on functionality includes all of the potential combinations (Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Knuckles in Sonic 2, Blue Sphere), provided you have the appropriate games already.

Celine

Next monday will be available on US Wii Shop the last chapter of Tales of Monkey Island ( unfortunately I'm european :-( ).

donny2112

Cosmonaut X,

Do you know yet, if you'll be doing the thread for February?

I have a formatter setup, but it only does the weekly release sections of the OP. I'm fine going forward with just that, but if you're planning on doing the regular full OP, that'd be good, too. :)

Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot :) I've yet to tidy up the OP for this week because I've been in and out of hospital with my wife (false labour), but I think I'm going to be OK to carry on for now. If I start falling behind again, I'll drop you a PM. Cheers!

I'm happy to see that Mega Man 4 is finally making an appearance. I always thought it was weird that they abruptly stopped after the first three.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
i will gladly buy Ogre Battle 64 on VC.

*pokes Atlus, Squeenix, and Nintendo*

Somnid

zigg said:
Are they going to yank the demos for those who have already downloaded them?

Does it matter? You can just off load them to an SD card if you want but I kinda doubt they'll do that.

donny2112

zigg said:
Are they going to yank the demos for those who have already downloaded them?

They can't. That's the problem with account transfers on Wiis. The licenses aren't kept in a central server (like with DSi) but locally on the Wii. Your local copies are untouchable from Nintendo. You may not be able to re-download them, though.

donny2112 said:
They can't. That's the problem with account transfers on Wiis. The licenses aren't kept in a central server (like with DSi) but locally on the Wii. Your local copies are untouchable from Nintendo. You may not be able to re-download them, though.

Is that really how they hold licence info for DSiWare?

I always wondered whether it might be possible to download a Channel for the Wii that did a check of the valid tickets on your system then bounced that data back to Nintendo and wiped the titles from your Wii to allow you to transfer your WiiWare and VC purchases to a new system. There would obviously be a bit of fiddling to sort out exactly how you would then redownload your titles (a reconfig of the Wii Shop to allow you to download games with a key issued when you sent your ticket data back?) but it might be a way to allow you to transfer games to a new system, as the current setup doesn't really seem to allow anything more elegant.

They're going to need to find a solution like that if they intend to keep the VC as a feature of their next system (WiiWare titles are a no-go, unless they really implement comprehensive backwards-compatibility to cover retail and digital titles).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Caesar III said:
btw: the game is getting hard as hell :( What's your progress anyone? I'm on the left at lvl 20 but the last 3 lvls I could not finish perfect :( Damn missile-immune ships and phantoms.
i've been playing all for medals, and i am currently stuck at 16. frankly i'm out of ideas how to get the medal there.

Thank you :) I thought I'm just too dumb to get it :D It's like a difficulty wall there isn't it? The previous 15 levels weren't that difficult, but this, DAMN.

Cosmonaut X said:
Is that really how they hold licence info for DSiWare?

I always wondered whether it might be possible to download a Channel for the Wii that did a check of the valid tickets on your system then bounced that data back to Nintendo and wiped the titles from your Wii to allow you to transfer your WiiWare and VC purchases to a new system. There would obviously be a bit of fiddling to sort out exactly how you would then redownload your titles (a reconfig of the Wii Shop to allow you to download games with a key issued when you sent your ticket data back?) but it might be a way to allow you to transfer games to a new system, as the current setup doesn't really seem to allow anything more elegant.

They're going to need to find a solution like that if they intend to keep the VC as a feature of their next system (WiiWare titles are a no-go, unless they really implement comprehensive backwards-compatibility to cover retail and digital titles).

It's impossible for the Wii to do that, thanks to the design of the IOS. You'd have to wait for the Wii successor for that.

Top Bottom