• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

oatmeal

Banned
Here's a review of The Cave.

http://www.vgrevolution.com/2013/01/the-cave-review-miner-problems/

In all, The Cave is a success. It has a distinct lack of polish and the controls could use another command or two, but the combination of intrigue and fun puzzles will give any player that fuzzy feeling that so epitomizes DoubleFine’s past work. It’s a self-assured, if somewhat safe, game that feels old and new at the same time.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/21/the-cave-review/

Although it’s not as funny as past Ron Gilbert games, The Cave still manages to charm through its visuals and honey-tongued narrator, but it falls flat when it comes to storytelling. Double Fine fans looking for a light diversion while waiting for their Kickstarter project, however, could do worse.
Score: 70/100

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/21/the-cave-review/#pTejk1Q3daV0hzwZ.99

vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Picross e2 (Jupiter | €4.99 | £4.49) Upcoming (01/24)

YES! YES! YES!

What? There's a Picross e2 already? The US never got e1!

Nintendo's downloadable game release decisions must be run by a GIANT roulette wheel. Every game is a different slot and each ball is a different territory.

Oh, and also the table is rigged so that NOA gets no good games EVER!

zroid

Banned
It probably bears repeating that Nintendo doesn't publish Picross-e :p

still sucks we don't have it though. Honestly if Jupiter won't do anything, NOA should step up.

Jarsonot

What's the hold up on picross e in US? It's gotta be just the cost of hosting it on the servers, and maybe getting the ESRB rating, right? I mean, the game's done, it wouldn't need localization, there's no distribution or printing costs... I don't get it.

BRING IT OVER, Jupiter!

RaidenZR

What's the hold up on picross e in US? It's gotta be just the cost of hosting it on the servers, and maybe getting the ESRB rating, right? I mean, the game's done, it wouldn't need localization, there's no distribution or printing costs... I don't get it.

BRING IT OVER, Jupiter!

It's goddamned criminal that they haven't...

KarmaCow

Nintendo hasn't published Picross e in any region.

It's Jupiter who we're upset at

I guess it's my fault for trusting IGN's page on it from a quick google search to be accurate, so fair enough. Why is Jupiter holding off on releasing it? :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BTW, THE CAVE IS NOT OFF-SCREEN CAPABLE.

That's and odd decision, given that other developers have claimed off-screen play requires very little additional coding...

I must admit, now I'm unsure as to whether I'll buy it or not...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
That's and odd decision, given that other developers have claimed off-screen play requires very little additional coding...

I must admit, now I'm unsure as to whether I'll buy it or not...
The sending of the fb to the Gamepad might be trivial, but getting your content to look proper might not be - messages might need larger fonts, some camera adjustments might need to me made to make interactive screen elements the right size, etc.

That said, it is unfortunate if the game does not feature off-tv play, but that's not a dealbreaker for me personally.

In all, The Cave is a success. It has a distinct lack of polish and the controls could use another command or two, but the combination of intrigue and fun puzzles will give any player that fuzzy feeling that so epitomizes DoubleFine’s past work. It’s a self-assured, if somewhat safe, game that feels old and new at the same time.

Sounds just about how I felt about Trine. A good game, and a fun one, but it had a lack of polish and slightly sloppy control issues as well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not having off screen is basically a deal breaker for me at that price.

Maybe one day if it goes on sale.

Honestly though unless the game is fantastic or actually uses both screens in an interesting and useful manner I'm going to generally stick with games that can be played only on the screen.

Eusis

Not having off screen is basically a deal breaker for me at that price.

Maybe one day if it goes on sale.

Honestly though unless the game is fantastic or actually uses both screens in an interesting and useful manner I'm going to generally stick with games that can be played only on the screen.
While it won't be a deal breaker period for me, it does mean I won't bother considering it over other versions if they don't take advantage of the second screen.

Mr E.

I really want to see some comparisons between The Cave and Trine 2. Which one is the best to download?
Trine I would think. The cave seems like a lot of retreading after the first play through.
3 play throughs are required to see all possible endings.

Trine is just beautiful.

Just my opinion.

TehOh

Etrian Odyssey 4 demo coming to the eShop on February 7th. Progress in the demo carries over to the full game, which is launching physically/digitally simultaneously on February 26th.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Etrian Odyssey 4 demo coming to the eShop on February 7th. Progress in the demo carries over to the full game, which is launching physically/digitally simultaneously on February 26th.

Carries over to the physical copy as well? Same restrictions as the Japanese demo I guess with the level 10 cap?

TehOh

Carries over to the physical copy as well? Same restrictions as the Japanese demo I guess with the level 10 cap?

Yes, and don't know. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a cap though. Otherwise, you could grind for awhile and break the real game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Good on... whoever's publishing EO4 for doing simul-eShop/retail release. Needs to happen for all games.

Ridley327

Good on... whoever's publishing EO4 for doing simul-eShop/retail release. Needs to happen for all games.

Atlus was pretty awesome about that on the PSP; when they finally went day 1 digital, they also went back and got most of their back catalog on the system available for download. It's good to see them do that for the 3DS, as well, especially with the SMT titles on the horizon.

Hale-XF11

Any news on Nano Assault 3DS?

All I know at this point is that the eShop version is supposed to come out sometime between now and the end of the first quarter. I emailed Shin'en a week ago asking if they had a definitive release date yet but haven't heard back.

Top Bottom