• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2014

qq more

Hmm... I guess I should try out SteamWorld Dig sometime huh? One of my friends has been singing praises for it ever since he played it. Game looks honestly great too!

I haven't been keeping up with the news but I know it's on/coming to Steam but is it also coming to Wii U?

zroid

Banned
Heh ...grinding. Literally. :D

What's so awesome about SteamWorld Dig is how it FEELS. I love how the jumping feels. This might have my favorite wall-jump ever. Your character feels so bouncy but you're always 100% in control. I would completely ignore those shortcut teleporters in favor of just wall-jumping back up the entire way and I would dig paths accordingly.

yeah the controls are very good. the only times I've had issues are when I'm trying to hop up a wall immediately after a long jump and end up falling after bumping into it. but i think that's more my poor reflexes than any unresponsiveness in the controls. I would've liked it if you stuck on the wall for a second after touching it though, like most other platformers.

RaidenZR

I'm one of the few on he board who doesn't like it. It is incredibly repetitive.
I'm with you.

Overall, I like the fundamentals and foundation of what was made for Steamworld Dig, The mechanics, controls, and universe are great, but there is very little 'game' there when you get right down to it. There's virtually no level design outside of 10 or so challenge rooms, and those take a few meager minutes to finish.

I found myself really into it when I first began playing, but SWD really soured on me more and more over time. YMMV, but I don't reccomend it to people.

D-e-f-

Banned
Does this have anything new compared to the PS3/360 version?

To those who've played it, how's the framerate?

NWR Review of JP version: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/34860

Includes 12min gameplay video.

2.png

krumble

Darts Up 3D is on sale for 99 cents.

Also... a rather odd thing is going on with a company named Zordix AB and eShop "sales"...

Back in December, the 3DS game "Snow Moto Racing" was listed as being "on sale" for $5.99 until Jan 9th, with a "normal price" of $7.99.

This was odd, as the game was released at $5.99.

Today, the game bumped in price from $5.99 to $7.99 -- perhaps the first time a game has increased in price on the eShop. (Not counting intentional, announced, "launch discounts.)

What makes this more interesting is the fact that, as of this morning, Zordix AB has another faux sale going on for their Aqua Moto Racing title -- the $5.99 game is currently "on sale" for $5.99, with $7.99 being given as the normal price.

Zordix AB appears to be intentionally raising the prices on their two 3DS titles, but in a rather slimy way.

Are either of the games actually any good?

Gazoinks

I'm with you.

Overall, I like the fundamentals and foundation of what was made for Steamworld Dig, The mechanics, controls, and universe are great, but there is very little 'game' there when you get right down to it. There's virtually no level design outside of 10 or so challenge rooms, and those take a few meager minutes to finish.

I found myself really into it when I first began playing, but SWD really soured on me more and more over time. YMMV, but I don't reccomend it to people.

I can understand that. I enjoyed the game, but I was tired of digging by the end. It was short enough that it didn't overstay its welcome. More (and harder) challenge rooms would've been welcome.

JoeM86

This week, in Europe.

Wii U
Dr. Luigi
F1 RACE STARS™: POWERED UP EDITION

Wii U VC
Legend of the Mystical Ninja

3DS
Mario Party: Island Tour

3DS VC
Castlevania II Simon's Quest

========
Price Reductions

Wii U
Trine 2: Director's Cut €6.79 (£5.49) until 30/01/14, 23:59 UTC

3DS
Dress To Play: Magic Bubbles! €0.99 (£0.89) until 06/02/14, 23:59 local time
Dress To Play: Cute Witches! €0.99 (£0.89) until 06/02/14, 23:59 local time

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The only interesting thing, this week, is that Darts Up wasn't an isolated case: now games on eShop can cost $/€0.99 as well. IIRC, there was a lower limit before.

That and Dt. Luigi for us in Europe.

This week, in Europe.

Wii U
F1 RACE STARS™: POWERED UP EDITION

Wow, it's actually happening. Seven months after its Japanese retail release. I like how the PR boasts about including the same old 2012 roster from when the game was originally released on 360/PS3.

L~A

The only interesting thing, this week, is that Darts Up wasn't an isolated case: now games on eShop can cost $/€0.99 as well. IIRC, there was a lower limit before.

That and Dt. Luigi for us in Europe.

I don't think there ever was a 1.49€ limite before, we just assumed so because no other game went lower than that. Then again, maybe Beril or another indie dev confirmed 1.49€ was the limit, but I doubt it... and why would Nintendo suddenly change it for a game like Dress to Play? :p

Katsuragi

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is the European version, by the way. It was apparently translated into German, which means that everyone gets the 50hz version.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Konami, SNES) - €7.99/£5.49
A curse has struck Horo-Horo village and their beloved princess has vanished. All hope rests on the village's guardians, Kid Ying and Dr. Yang. This action-adventure from the popular Goemon series is a light-hearted tale for one or two players. You and a friend can explore towns for clues, play minigames and learn new moves; and then battle through platform sections to defeat each level's boss. Full of humour and Japanese folklore, The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is a quirky classic! This is the European version of the game.

Robin64

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is the European version, by the way. It was apparently translated into German, which means that everyone gets the 50hz version.

Welp, fuck that.

Looking forward to some online Dr Luigi, though, and I actually like NES Castlevania II.

D-e-f-

Banned
What's the price for F1 RACE STARS?

proper listing with pricing:
Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Dr. Luigi (Nintendo) - €14.99/£13.49
Armed with plenty of multi-coloured, two-part capsules, help Dr. Luigi clear a bottle infested with nasty viruses. Annihilate the nuisances by dropping pills of the same colour next to or on top of them - create a horizontal or vertical line of four or more like-coloured pieces and they'll disappear. Empty the whole bottle to move on to tougher challenges - but if it fills to the brim, the viruses win!

F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition (Codemasters) - €24.99/£19.99
F1 RACE STARSTM: POWERED UP EDITION takes FORMULA ONE over the top with new content for Wii U, including four extra tracks and bonus accessory packs! Use awesome power-ups, take on jumps and shortcuts and share the fun in split-screen, in this officially licensed title which features cars and stars from the 2012 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Konami, SNES) - €7.99/£5.49
A curse has struck Horo-Horo village and their beloved princess has vanished. All hope rests on the village's guardians, Kid Ying and Dr. Yang. This action-adventure from the popular Goemon series is a light-hearted tale for one or two players. You and a friend can explore towns for clues, play minigames and learn new moves; and then battle through platform sections to defeat each level's boss. Full of humour and Japanese folklore, The Legend of the Mystical Ninja is a quirky classic! This is the European version of the game.

Special offers
Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte) - €6.79/£5.49 (Ends January 30, normally €16.99/£13.99)

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Mario Party: Island Tour (Nintendo) - €39.99/£34.99
Whether you're a veteran Mario Party player or a newcomer to the series, Mario Party: Island Tour proves that absolutely anyone can play! Packed with 80 new minigames designed exclusively with portable gameplay in mind and seven unique boards that offer their own distinct challenges, there are so many different ways to play that you'll have a completely new experience each time you pick it up.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Nintendo, NES) - €3.99/£3.59
Famous vampire hunter Simon Belmont is back, in Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Following his victory against Dracula in the original game, Belmont is struck by the Count's deadly curse and must track down and destroy Dracula's missing body parts to save himself. Castlevania II expands on its predecessor with the addition of new adventure elements and also a day and night system. During daytime, talk to the locals and gather clues and weapons, and prepare for the creatures that appear when the sun goes down!

Special offers
Dress to Play: Magic Bubbles (EnjoyUp Games) - €0.99/£0.89 (Ends February 6, normally €3.99/£3.59)
Dress to Play: Cute Witches (EnjoyUp Games) - €0.99/£0.89 (Ends February 6, normally €3.99/£3.59)
Source: NoE PR

Xeno_V

Is there a list where I can check which EU VC games are released in 50 and which in 60hz?
Has the situation improved or do we still get the versions that offer the "original" experience?

Robin64

Is there a list where I can check which EU VC games are released in 50 and which in 60hz?
Has the situation improved or do we still get the versions that offer the "original" experience?

So far, the 50hz releases are:

Balloon Fight
Kirby's Adventure
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Harvest Moon

L~A

Ha ha, they really gotta stop with that stuff, especially for those who don't give a damn about the German translation. :p

By the way, I thought AeternoBlade was supposed to come out tomorrow? Kinda unusual release day... but not mentionned in PR, so no idea what to believe. Then again, they said there wouldn't be any US demo, and the US DID get a demo, so who knows...

D-e-f-

Banned

It says so on the eShop for every game.

By the way, I thought AeternoBlade was supposed to come out tomorrow? Kinda unusual release day... but not mentionned in PR, so no idea what to believe. Then again, they said there wouldn't be any US demo, and the US DID get a demo, so who knows...

It failed submission and was pushed back: http://www.go nintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=219250

iMerc

looks like konami are slowly trickling their games onto this thing.

castlevania 4
contra 3
mystical ninja.

let's get some axelay action here, konami!

on a side note: just got mmX & mmx2.
mmx3 never came out on wii VC. do we know if capcom are going to release this on wiiUVC?

Xeno_V

Thanks for the replies about the VC, I don't have a Wii U yet so I had to ask.
Still it's pretty sad that games such as Super Metroid and ALTTP are among the 50hz releases :(.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Screw that crap, not buying gimped version just so the German can play it in their language. Nintendo of Europe need to learn to give their customer freaking options.

Why can't I buy the US version when I can read English just fine?

Nintendo treatment of the Virtual console is a joke.

D-e-f-

Banned
Screw that crap, not buying gimped version just so the German can play it in their language. Nintendo of Europe need to learn to give their customer freaking options.

Why can't I buy the US version when I can read English just fine?

Nintendo treatment of the Virtual console is a joke.

tell THEM, not US.

Robin64

I do all the time, but they clearly don't freaking listen otherwise we wouldn't be in this situation after Kirby Adventure.

I also don't buy any of the 50Hz version until the 60Hz version is up.

it's been really tough sticking to my boycott with Link to the Past being up. It's my second favourite SNES game, but I need to do my bit to send Nintendo the message (as well as sending literal messages)

Sendou

it's been really tough sticking to my boycott with Link to the Past being up. It's my second favourite SNES game, but I need to do my bit to send Nintendo the message (as well as sending literal messages)

That was the game I was looking forward to but still can't be bothered with 50Hz. Maybe Nintendo gets this one day or maybe they won't.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Same here, I wanted Link to the Past but I didn't want to settle for a poor version when I know that there exist a better version in English that Nintendo has access to.

Plus I had the GBA version so it helped a bit.

Robin64

Not sure if mentioned, but the Nintendo.co.uk page for TVii got a text update.

We would like to apologise that we were unable to bring the Nintendo TVii service to Europe in 2013 as originally planned.

Please continue to keep an eye out for further announcements regarding this service in the near future.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii-U/System-Software/Nintendo-TVii/Nintendo-TVii-666625.html

On one hand, I doubt this will ever see the light of day. On the other, they could have just removed the page entirely...

Top Bottom