• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2010. OB64. US. Now.

zigg

Two at once, eh? My sympath... I mean, congratulations. :lol

Just got done playing an hour of Globulos with my 7-year-old daughter, with her playing on her Lite. She thought it was pretty fun and funny. There's not quite as much variation as it looks like there might be at first... soccer, basketball, and hockey are all mostly the same, for example. But we played a wide variety, including the pretty great Tic-Tac-Toe.

It takes a long time to switch games with Download Play, though, since it re-loads from start every time.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Bit Trip Void coming 05/03/10 for EU land woo gonna get that :) only 600 points
have 700 points left over.

Cool My bit trip collection grows

mclem

Cosmonaut X said:
Even better than the fact that both girls arrived safe and seem to be doing well was that due to a quirk of timing, one was born half an hour before midnight and the other half an hour after, so they have separate birthdays.

"A sequel? So soon?"

Shin'en just announced Jett Rocket, a 3D platformer for WiiWare!

http://jett-rocket.shinen.com/index.php

Let Jett Rocket explore the beautiful planet of Yoroppa and find out why it has been attacked by the evil 'Power Plant Posse'. Ride the ocean on your Jet Boat, parachute from giant cliffs, speed through arctic regions on your Jet Snowboard or skyrocket with your Jet Pack. Just be Jett Rocket in this epic futuristic full 3D Action-Adventure!

Jett Rocket supports 4:3 and 16:9 screen modes, PAL (576i), NTSC (480i) and EDTV/HDTV (480p) and runs in super-smooth 60 frames/sec.

Jett Rocket will be available exclusively via Nintendo's WiiWare service.

* Developer: Shin'en Multimedia
* Platform: Nintendo WiiWare
* Genre: 3D Action Adventure
* Rating:
ESRB: Everyone, Mild Cartoon Violence
PEGI: 7+
* Release Date:
America: TBD
Europe: TBD

screen01.jpg

screen03.jpg

screen05.jpg

So Namco put out this press release:
CERGY-PONTOISE, FRANCE – 4th March 2010 – NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe today announced that MUSCLE MARCH™ is now available for download on Nintendo’s WiiWare™ service for 800 WiiPoints™. Delivering an experience like no other, MUSCLE MARCH gives players the opportunity to step into the form-fitting briefs as one of seven body building personas from around the world. Use the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ to strike super muscular body-building poses to fit through holes in walls as you chase thieves who have stolen precious protein powder from your merry band of muscle heads.

You are a member in the exclusive Muscle March club, a troupe of body builders whom are tasked with transporting protein around the globe. While pumping iron in the gym one day, nefarious thieves steal a bottle of your most precious protein. The chase is on as you and your muscularly ripped companions try to nab the thieves and get the protein back.

MUSCLE MARCH features two gameplay modes for body types of all shapes and sizes. Muscle March mode takes players through the game’s story mode. Race through city streets as your gluts glisten in the sun, bust through an old village as you flex your pecs, or marvel at technological advancements in a space station as you shred your delts. Players can also test their endurance muscle with Endless Rush mode. Tackle an endless set of obstacles at an ever increasing speed alone or against three friends. Show off your precision body builder skills across both modes to become a god of muscle.
800 points? What did we do wrong Namco?

donny2112

Congratulations, Cosmonaut X! :D

Cosmonaut X said:
Even better than the fact that both girls arrived safe and seem to be doing well was that due to a quirk of timing, one was born half an hour before midnight and the other half an hour after, so they have separate birthdays.

Twins ... with different birthdays. You'll be explaining that one plenty of times over the coming years. :lol

Bizzyb

Banned
Wow @ Jett Rocket! That actually looks REALLY good, esp for a Wiiware game. This one has definitely hit my Radar.

Well, after downloading Space Invaders Get Even and all of its add on packs, I have to say I really enjoy it so far. It was silly of me to call it a shmup, it's basically like Cannon Spike with spaceships but that's a good thing. Although not a true shmup, it has great shmup fan service. Free roaming destruction using the Darius Silverhawk or RGray from Raystorm is good stuff. Silverhawk has the classic wave shot, RGray has rapid fire plus its signature lock on lasers. Also, the weapons of both do not need to be replenished at all which is another plus (the UFOs require you to shake the remote and the nunchuk in order to get your invaders/ammo back).

The bad? A lot. This game defines what was and still is wrong with Wii memory limitations and complaints about DLC in general. The main game itself can be launched from the SD menu, but all 3 of the add on packs (which total 367 blocks + 307 for the 'main' game = 677 blocks total) must be stored in the Wii's system memory (is this still required for all add on content for other games?). So I had to move quite a a few of my SNES games just to get them to fit with blocks to spare.

Also, it's bad enough each of the three DLC packs costs $5, but you CAN'T simply download which bonus ship you want which would sooth the burn a bit. As mentioned, each additional mission pack comes with a classic shmup fighter. So I googled to see which of the mission packs contained the RGray ship (my favorite) so I could start with that and then maybe get a few of the other packs some time down the road when I was ready. According to multiple sources on google, pack #3 had the RGray. This is incredibly deceptive though, because I downloaded the 3rd pack but then did a double take when the game told me the bonus ship I was getting with that pack was actually the sprite version of the UFO which by logic should come with the first add on pack, but no. In order to get the Darius Silverhawk and RGray you have to download ALL three packs. First time gets you the sprite UFO, second time gets you the Darius fighter, then after laying down another $5 you finally get the RGray. The only way to get your money's worth out of the game is to lay down $20. I hadn't had the chance to play a good free roam shooter since Cannon Spike and Assault Heroes so this was a good fit, but definitely an example of how NOT to do DLC. Taito should've just released it as a $19.99 budget disc title, would've been a lot easier to swallow and unlocking the bonus ships based on skill/completion instead of micro transactions (more like macro transactions in this case) would've been much more satisfying.

Anyways, I know the game is old now and this was a bit long winded, but I thought it'd be nice to contribute a review in general appreciation for my fellow VC/Wiiware folks here and for any fellow arcade shooter fans who may be tempted to get this but need to know both the pros and the serious cons beforehand.

Starwolf_UK said:
So Namco put out this press release:

800 points? What did we do wrong Namco?

it's a lie.
there's no muscle march on wiiware shop today.
I triple checked.
what the fuck Namco? what the fuck Namco? what the fuck Namco?

I want to smash naked through walls :(

There's an update for European DSis. I updated but did not notice anything. Even the new DSiXLs got an update. Any Update Notes avaiable?

Caesar III said:
There's an update for European DSis. I updated but did not notice anything. Even the new DSiXLs got an update. Any Update Notes avaiable?

huh? I didn't have an update.
from where are ?

double-edit: EU updates for Wii's Nintendo channel available
dunno what they do though

also EU people: don't forget to update "Gradius Rebirth" with updated graphics and lots of other cool stuff

Buddy of mine said his brand new DSiXL found an update and so I checked manually and there was one downloading. It's still 1.4E though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
hey, Cosmonaut, congrats!

don't forget to put on their hands some mittens or they'll scratch themselves silly ; )

sfog

ESRB update:

IRONCLAD

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Fantasy Violence, Mild Language

Rating summary:
This is a side-scrolling shooter in which players control a small aircraft that battles enemies in an alternate 1920s setting. Players use flame-guns, missiles, lasers, and rockets to destroy an assortment of small spaceships and robotic creatures. As players maneuver and attack in the foreground, images of houses burning, buildings in ruins may appear in the background. The laser fire is loud and constant, and enemies burst into fiery explosions amid the frenetic combat. Text-based dialogue includes the phrases "[W]e come in to have some gore," "cheerful torture brothers," and "killin' is such a bore." The word damn also appears in the text.

Somnid

The Japanese VC site updated, Karate Champ will also release in March for VCA.

As for the rest next week:

VC:
Moon Cresta (Hamster, ARC, 800)

Wiiware:
Mega Man 10 (Capcom, 1000 + DLC)

DSiWare:
GG Series: Throwout (Genterprise, 200)
Renjuku Kanji Shou-gaku 4-nensei (IE Institute, 500)
Renjuku Kanji Shou-gaku 5-nensei (IE Institute, 500)
Brain Challenge (Gameloft, 500)
Let's Golf (Gameloft, 1000)

Man, this month is kicking it for WiiWare stuff.

This week: Mega Man 10
Next week: Max and the Magic Marker
March 15th: Rage of the Gladiator
March 22nd: Cave Story
March 29th: WarioWare DIY Showcase

Not to mention the Art Style games (probably April)

Oh, and Bit.Trip RUNNER Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7f7OZpuffM
That's probably coming in April-ish, too.

just want to say that i downloaded castlevania rebirth a few days ago and only finally beat it last night (even by "cheating" by changing my lives to 9)

game owns a ton

OP updated (finally!). Sorry for the delays this week, and if you'll indulge a very proud father here's one last pic of the two new gamers-in-training:

Tori_and_Aimee.jpg

ILikeFeet

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
OP updated (finally!). Sorry for the delays this week, and if you'll indulge a very proud father here's one last pic of the two new gamers-in-training:

Tori_and_Aimee.jpg

I can't help but think of that Invader Zim episode. :lol

Fake Edit: Tori an Aimee? ok, Aimee is weird. :p

Davey Cakes

Color me interested in Jett Rocket. I'm always open to 3D platformers.

Honestly, I know that we're getting Super Mario Galaxy 2, but a genre as great as the 3D platforming one needs a little bit more representation than that. I think WiiWare (or similar services) is a great place for devs to try out new 3D platformer games and concepts. Maybe taking a more minimalistic approach at first could help revive the genre. I mean, it worked for 2D/2.5D platformers, didn't it?

Nessus

God I love Wii Ware (and digital distribution in general).

Just bought Art Of Balance because it's beautiful and I want to support Shin'en.

Very glad to hear that Shin'en has been experiencing success on Wii Ware with their first game.

I'll also be buying Jett Rocket when it comes out. A 50 meg Wii Ware game that looks better than almost all third party retail Wii games.

Watched the Bit Trip Runner trailer and didn't realize until half way through that I had an idiot smile on my face. I really am a child of the 80s. These are the kind of video game experiences I've been missing in recent years and that Wii Ware has been fostering them makes me so happy.

Ironclad also sounds like it could be fun. Or awful.

Nessus said:
God I love Wii Ware (and digital distribution in general).

Just bought Art Of Balance because it's beautiful and I want to support Shin'en.

Very glad to hear that Shin'en has been experiencing success on Wii Ware with their first game.

I'll also be buying Jett Rocket when it comes out. A 50 meg Wii Ware game that looks better than almost all third party retail Wii games.

Watched the Bit Trip Runner trailer and didn't realize until half way through that I had an idiot smile on my face. I really am a child of the 80s. These are the kind of video game experiences I've been missing in recent years and that Wii Ware has been fostering them makes me so happy.

Ironclad also sounds like it could be fun. Or awful.

ironclad is awesome and looks amazing for a neogeo shmup

Vinnk

iamaustrian said:

This. I paid $80 for the Neo Geo CD version a few years back (it goes for more now). Worth every penny.

donny2112

Cosmonaut X said:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x7/cosmonautx/Tori_and_Aimee.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Your wife must've had some major heartburn in pregnancy. Nice to see newborns with lots of hair for a change, though! :D

donny2112 said:
Your wife must've had some major heartburn in pregnancy. Nice to see newborns with lots of hair for a change, though! :D

They take after their dad - Tori's got my choppy, spiky look down a treat ;-)

(and no, Tori isn't from Toki Tori!)

iamaustrian said:

Yeah, just Youtube'd it, first time I have seen this game. Looks really good. The art style and perspective kinda reminds me of Storm of Progear (a CPS2 board I am proud to own :D ).

Whoa IronClad US-bound? I can get behind that.

Oh God Saurus. I never understood their logo. Is it a pair of snails or an ass with a set of antennae?

Agent Unknown said:
Two sauropod dinos with really long super skinny necks looking backwards?

Or yeah..that makes sense too....I guess.

Two sauropod dinos with really long super skinny necks looking backwards?

Oh and March 25th is a good date. Why? Because it's the one year anniversary of the SD card menu update which makes it possible for me to even consider buying/downloading a Neo Geo VC game such as this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder if Nintendo is humorous enough to release FF II later today...

I'd settle for MM4 though.

I was idly wondering which Virtual Console games are still within 10 years of their original release. Of course, it turns out to be a subset of the N64 list. I was using the NA Virtual Console list for reference, so games currently available in other regions might also fit in.

Kirby 64 (Originally JP March 2000, NA June 2000, EU June 2001)
Majora's Mask (Originally JP April 2000, NA October 2000, EU November 2000)
Paper Mario (Originally JP August 2000, NA February 2001, EU October 2001)
Pokémon Puzzle League (Originally NA September 2000, EU March 2001)
Sin and Punishment (Originally JP November 2000)

Paper Mario and Sin and Punishment were the "youngest" at the time of VC release. Both were released less than 7 years after original releases. Looking specifically at the localized dates for Paper Mario, VC Paper Mario actually hit less than 6 years after the N64 one in Europe.

Man God said:
I wonder if Nintendo is humorous enough to release FF II later today...
I was surprised to see you say this, since (I thought) FF IV/II was already available. BUT... it isn't. That's pretty weird, considering The After Years is approaching a year of availability.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: WITH FANTASY GAMES THIS GOOD, WHY SETTLE FOR REALITY?

March 8, 2010

Sometimes realism is overrated. Don't we all need a regular jolt of fantasy to keep our imaginations alive and kicking? For Wii™ owners, this week's new game lineup is set to deliver exactly that. Max & the Magic Marker for the WiiWare™ service imagines what would happen if your own artistic creation turned against you, while the Virtual Console™ service features a big dose of otherworldly action with the classic FINAL FANTASY® II. Browse all the latest downloadable games for the Wii and Nintendo DSi™ systems to help keep your imagination fueled to the max.

We've also got some free bonus inspiration for you this week: At last September's Penny Arcade Expo, Nintendo invited professional artists to create one-of-a-kind animations using the Flipnote Studio™ application for the Nintendo DSi system. The results are now online and ready for viewing at the Flipnote Hatena site (http://flipnote.hatena.com), including cool clips from top comic artists like Eric Jones, Christina Strain and Mike Choi. Check them out and treat your brain to extra helpings of creative juice.

WiiWare

Max & the Magic Marker
Publisher: Press Play
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: One day Max gets a mysterious marker in the mail. Not knowing better, the first thing he draws is a wacky, purple monster. As soon as the marker leaves the paper, the monster comes to life and jumps off the paper and into another drawing. With the monster on the loose and messing with Max's drawings, Max has no choice but to go after it. Armed with the magic marker, you must help Max track the monster through 15 inventive and challenging levels. You'll need more than good will and quick reflexes to tackle the challenges ahead. Draw freely inside the game to help Max defeat enemies, overcome obstacles and solve puzzles. As you draw stairs, seesaws, balloons, surfboards and whatever else you can think of, your creations will interact with the physical environment, making every session unique.

Dracula - Undead Awakening
Publisher: Chillingo
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Fantasy Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: Are you a vampire hunter? Are you ready to battle legions of undead foes including zombies, ghouls and werewolves? You'll need to wield an arsenal of powerful weaponry while using your skill and intelligence. Uncover devastating firepower - machine guns, buzz-saws, flamethrowers and more - and choose upgrades for them as well as unique new perks for your character as your enemies increase in number and ferocity. You're a tough customer, but beware - Lord Dracula is always on the hunt, and you are his prey. Enemies in Dracula have one thing in common: Undead, lycanthrope or mutant, they're all after your flesh.

Virtual Console

FINAL FANTASY II
Original platform: Super NES™
Publisher: Square Enix
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Follow the dark knight Cecil - Lord Captain of Baron's elite force, the Red Wings - as he embarks on a fateful journey riddled with trials, betrayals, friendship, loss and self-discovery. Plagued with uncertainty over his monarch's motives, can Cecil turn away from the path of darkness and destruction?

Nintendo DSiWare™

Elemental Masters
Publisher: lbxgames
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Animated Blood, Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: In this fantasy card game, stand your ground in a quest filled with magic and adventure, and experience a thrilling combination of strategy and role-playing. Choose your character, build up your army in your card deck and fight the mystical creatures of Elendior. With thoughtful use of your cards, you'll obtain the monsters of your enemy and support your attacks by using arcane spells and the rules of dark magic. Dive into this captivating story in the quest mode or duel with your friends in multiplayer mode. More than 100 creatures in numerous maps are waiting for you.

4 TRAVELLERS™ - Play Spanish
Publisher: AGENIUS Interactive
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Whether played alone or together with friends, 4 TRAVELLERS can teach you new words in Spanish. The game is suitable for both young and old, and no previous knowledge is necessary. The more you play, the more your Spanish vocabulary increases. You can also play and learn with the game's unique learning mode. The game is perfect to bring on your trip, with more than 240 carefully selected words included specifically for this occasion.

Dracula - Undead Awakening
Publisher: Chillingo
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Fantasy Violence
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Are you a vampire hunter? Are you ready to battle legions of undead foes including zombies, ghouls and werewolves? You'll need to wield an arsenal of powerful weaponry while using your skill and intelligence. Uncover devastating firepower - machine guns, buzz-saws, flamethrowers and more - and choose upgrades for them as well as unique new perks for your character as your enemies increase in number and ferocity. You're a tough customer, but beware - Lord Dracula is always on the hunt, and you are his prey. Enemies in Dracula have one thing in common: Undead, lycanthrope or mutant, they're all after your flesh.

Flips: The Bubonic Builders
Publisher: Electronic Arts
ESRB Rating: Not Rated
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Flips Interactive Books are the fun new way for kids to read. The builders are in to replace the girls' toilet block, but they're more interested in cups of tea and instant noodle snacks than doing any work. James suspects foul play, but Alexander and Lenny are doubtful until a strange accident hammers the truth home. How will the three friends stop St. Sebastian's from being reduced to rubble?

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

Hobbun

Final Fantasy II (IV)? Cool. Even though I have played it numerous times, I probably will buy it just because. And it is still one of my favorites of the series.

Btw, Cosmonaut, congrats on the babies! :)

jjasper said:
Cool that FFIV is coming, too bad it is probably going to be the original US version.
I would have bought FF2 if

a) The sequel wasn't called FF4 The After Years (consistency whore)
b) I didn't own four copies of this game already (SNES, PS1, GBA, DS - consumer whore)

In other words, if I wasn't such a whore.

Oli

Hey guys, I bought FFXIII and it's my first FF game in the main series. Only played spin-offs otherwise. Should I get FFII? I've always wanted to play it. But I don't know if I should wait for III(VI).

Oli said:
Hey guys, I bought FFXIII and it's my first FF game in the main series. Only played spin-offs otherwise. Should I get FFII? I've always wanted to play it. But I don't know if I should wait for III(VI).
II is great. Probably my favorite.

However, it is a 16-bit RPG. Just... you know, keep that in mind.

III is also great but who knows when that's coming out. It took 4 years for FFII.

Oli

Aaron Strife said:
II is great. Probably my favorite.

However, it is a 16-bit RPG. Just... you know, keep that in mind.

III is also great but who knows when that's coming out. It took 4 years for FFII.

Yeah, the random encounters (among other things) make me afraid I'll never finish it. But I want to at least try it. I've avoided jumping into the series for so long, but now I feel more compelled (by 60 dollars probably).

Mael

Aaron Strife said:
I would have bought FF2 if

a) The sequel wasn't called FF4 The After Years (consistency whore)
b) I didn't own four copies of this game already (SNES, PS1, GBA, DS - consumer whore)

In other words, if I was a bigger whore.

euh.....fix'd?

botticus

I think I'll probably grab FFII - have the DS game, but I sold my GBA cart so I wouldn't mind having access to the 2D one.

Top Bottom