• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2012

Celine

So I'm another one that bought MSF after the added content.
Did the first 3 levels par time.
So far so good.

I think Wayforward added also new catchphrases for the main character, when you start a level. Now she says also "Stop! In the name of the..." I don't understand the last word, and "Hold it right there!". ...Or maybe I missed them despite playing the hell out of the first 16 levels? O_O
In the name of law, my friend.

wondermega

Just picked up Game & Watch 2. Was really looking forward to it.

Loaded up Donkey Kong right off, after many happy memories of having the original G&W of this as a kid and really loving it. And I have to say, I am really disappointed that they made this dual-screen game into a single-screen game (you have to press a button to toggle which of the 2 screens will be shown larger on the shared top display), rather than display the top screen on top and the bottom screen on the bottom. I didn't think I was expecting too much, but I instantly regret buying this. If they ever port it properly, I'll pick it up in a heart beat. As it is, I think they should be called out.

I realize this is how the original cartridge played on GameBoy color, and that makes perfect sense when it was on that hardware (it only had one screen). I guess I was giving them way too much credit to think they'd take such a big, famous game from their history and do nothing besides a straight port of the GBC cart.

rpmurphy

Just picked up Game & Watch 2. Was really looking forward to it.

Loaded up Donkey Kong right off, after many happy memories of having the original G&W of this as a kid and really loving it. And I have to say, I am really disappointed that they made this dual-screen game into a single-screen game (you have to press a button to toggle which of the 2 screens will be shown larger on the shared top display), rather than display the top screen on top and the bottom screen on the bottom. I didn't think I was expecting too much, but I instantly regret buying this. If they ever port it properly, I'll pick it up in a heart beat. As it is, I think they should be called out.

I realize this is how the original cartridge played on GameBoy color, and that makes perfect sense when it was on that hardware (it only had one screen). I guess I was giving them way too much credit to think they'd take such a big, famous game from their history and do nothing besides a straight port of the GBC cart.
Well, they did do Game & Watch Collection for the DS which has Donkey Kong with the dual-screen setup. Just not DSiWare...

thomaser

I guess I was giving them way too much credit to think they'd take such a big, famous game from their history and do nothing besides a straight port of the GBC cart.

All Virtual Console games are always straight ports. You should never expect otherwise. This was a port of the GBC game, not of the original G&W game.

Heropon

One day, Nintendo could update the Super Gameboy compatible games. I missed that when I played Kirby's Dream Land 2.

But well, the game is solid enough in black and white.

Pulstar would be an insta-download for me if it came to the US VC (fat chance).
D4's schizophrenic western release schedule makes me cry. Still waiting on Twinkle Star Sprites. ;_;

One day, Nintendo could update the Super Gameboy compatible games. I missed that when I played Kirby's Dream Land 2.

But well, the game is solid enough in black and white.
They'll do this next year on Wii/Wii U Virtual Console. All you'll need is another $2.99-5.99 each. ;)

Actually, it'd be nice if the upcoming Wii Kirby Anniversary Collection used SGB mode for any GB games on it.

Heropon

They'll do this next year on Wii/Wii U Virtual Console. All you'll need is another $2.99-5.99 each. ;)

I hope they unify the 3DS and the Wii U eShop and I can play the NES games in the controller. I don't feel like double-dipping in the case of the game boy games, I hope they don't do that.

I hope they unify the 3DS and the Wii U eShop and I can play the NES games in the controller. I don't feel like double-dipping in the case of the game boy games, I hope they don't do that.

If they don't, I swear to god. I don't feel entitled to a free game on every new system since I already bought it, but I wouldn't mind paying a $.99 fee (to pay for the emulation development work they do) to unlock a NES game I bought on my 3DS on my Wii U.

Posted? News about Renegade Kid's new game.

In other news, there's new info on Renegade Kid's upcoming Planet Crashers!

- It is finished
- Going trough approval process/fixing bugs
- To be released in the US and Europe at the same time
- Looking to be an eShop game and not a retail game
- Should be on the eShop in about 2 months
- Its a dungeon crawler similar to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
- Grind heavy game play
- Battles are similar to Paper Mario; turn based combat with opportunities to perform critial hits

Muskweeto

I've been playing Kirby's Block Ball for the past hour, never had the chance to play this back in the day.

What a delightful little game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, how did NEOGEO's Metal Slug 3 fit on Virtual Console with the downloadable limits on Wii? Surely the game was much bigger than 40MB. Is this super compression, an exception, the game's somehow gimped, VC never had the WiiWare limits, or did they update their policies for Wii games alongside the new much better policies for the 3DS?

Got a new purple 3DS today, went to download the 5 dollar Tetris Party (from DSiware) and found that Nintendo\Hudson had pulled it. Pretty shitty way to get people to buy Tetris Axis.

So, how did NEOGEO's Metal Slug 3 fit on Virtual Console with the downloadable limits on Wii? Surely the game was much bigger than 40MB. Is this super compression, an exception, the game's somehow gimped, VC never had the WiiWare limits, or did they update their policies for Wii games alongside the new much better policies for the 3DS?

A quick check of an illegal rom site reveals that the game is 34.43 megabytes in .zip format. And also has been downloaded 601,387 times with an average rating of 4.14/5.

Alexios

My quick google search came up with over 70MB on several sites, I guess one of these is wrong. Are you sure it's the full thing and not some region patch? Or maybe the ones I found include all of those or something, Idk how that works. Maybe compression...

I dunno, I'd assume it works but I'm not going to download it to find out. Are you sure you're not looking at the CD version of Metal Slug?

Alexios

I dunno how to tell, doesn't mention anything about CDs. Also, if it's compression, wouldn't it need to decompress to run anyway?

Goody

Japanese Wii VC games next month:

-Tsukikomori (SFC)
-Pulstar (Neo Geo)
-Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers (Neo Geo)

And Europe gets Rayman (GBC) on 3DS VC next week.

PULSTAR!

Oh my goodness, this is the one Neo Geo game I was most hoping to make it over to the Virtual Console. I hope it's not ages before it comes to the US. I know we're still waiting for Metal Slug 3.

Alexios

Wikipedia says it was on a 708 Mbit cartridge, which is around 88.5MB.
Well, I guess someone has to buy it on VC and tell us the file size of that version. Not that anyone would with those prices considering all the collections you can get for cheap these days...

sfried

uxwGK.png

Wii | Virtual Console

• Tsukikomori (Namco Bandai | Super Famicom | 800 Points) Upcoming (06/??)
  • Pulstar (D4 Enterprise | Neo Geo | 900 Points) Upcoming (06/??)
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers (D4 Enterprise | Neo Geo | 900 Points) Upcoming (06/??)
Goddamm they get Real Bout FF2? I wanna download and play this so bad.

jgkspsx

I can't stop playing Kirby's Block Ball, but I'm not enjoying it at all. Some levels are great, but the physics is questionable, and it feels more random than the norm for Arkanoid clones.

I gave Mighty Switch Force another try after the update, and finished the game. The graphics look much sharper and more vivid to me now. Are they really? Still didn't really like it, and moved it to a storage folder without even trying out the bonus levels.

The most irksome thing is the hitbox. It seems to be too small by a pixel or two. Switches that I should have been able to make killed me several times, and, eh.

MoxManiac

Well, I guess someone has to buy it on VC and tell us the file size of that version. Not that anyone would with those prices considering all the collections you can get for cheap these days...

I'd get it if it was on NA VC. VC's neogeo emulation is the best out there.

My guess, minor fixes here and there. And every mystery update that nintendo pushes out makes me feel like stuff loads faster, psycoligical wise. :)

I guess :). I was secretly hoping that someone would say that it would now allow us to keep [if even for a nominal fee] our favourite videos :/.

sfog

My quick google search came up with over 70MB on several sites, I guess one of these is wrong. Are you sure it's the full thing and not some region patch? Or maybe the ones I found include all of those or something, Idk how that works. Maybe compression...

As I recall, MS3 (and various other later Neo releases) use uncompressed and encrypted graphics in their original cart form, hence the larger standard file size. The 35MB version uses compressed graphics instead, and is probably the basis for the VC release. The same thing holds true for MS2 and a few other Neo VC games (SamSho IV, KoF 97, and probably some of these recent Japanese releases like Shock Troopers and the Real Bout series).

Almost all Neo releases are 40MB or less in their compressed form.

Hale-XF11

Oh my GOD. I need to see this movie so bad now.

I didn't think a trailer on Nintendo Video would increase my hype so much, but it did and I need to see it now too! It's easily my most anticipated movie this year.

On another note, I've been thinking about this for a while now and...I really want a Face Raiders sequel.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I didn't think a trailer on Nintendo Video would increase my hype so much, but it did and I need to see it now too! It's easily my most anticipated movie this year.

On another note, I've been thinking about this for a while now and...I really want a Face Raiders sequel.

Holy shit, is the trailer out for EU as well?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Got a new purple 3DS today, went to download the 5 dollar Tetris Party (from DSiware) and found that Nintendo\Hudson had pulled it. Pretty shitty way to get people to buy Tetris Axis.
WiiWare Tetris Party is still available (1200pts).

Chunky

WiiWare Tetris Party is still available (1200pts).

I'd add that the Tetris for DsiWare pretty much just has Marathon mode, so getting the OG GB version is really not a step down. Plus it's a gameboy game, so starting and stopping it's more convinient than a Dsi game.

watershed

Banned
Does anyone think Art of Touch will do really well sales wise? Not that we'll ever get numbers but I wonder if Shin'nen will have an eshop hit with the game. Its got the same great Shin'nen production values and the gameplay seems solid and simple which makes for good casual appeal. I wonder how their golfing game has sold?

zigg

Just to clarify, isn't that a Tetris Company thing? Same reason we lost Tetris DS, which really should have been reprinted for years on end?

So after having to wait nearly a year for the PAL VC to finally get Mega Man X they suddenly spring the sequel in for this week it seems, and my previously remaining points were all set up with a potential usage plan that left me with 0 points....this changes everything!

Celine

Does anyone think Art of Touch will do really well sales wise? Not that we'll ever get numbers but I wonder if Shin'nen will have an eshop hit with the game. Its got the same great Shin'nen production values and the gameplay seems solid and simple which makes for good casual appeal. I wonder how their golfing game has sold?
I'm under the impression that Fun Fun Minigolf is doing well.
The game is in the top 20(or even 10) of all time in Italy despite being a quite recent addition.

Duo014

Hi gaf,

I just bought a 25€ card and want to download some games from the e-store.

what are the best?

I already have
-GB titles; mario 2 & link awakening
-Dark void
-kid icarus
-Zelda 4 swords

Is was looking at the video of the armadillo one and it looked interesting.
I was planning on buying shantae, but that costs 12 euros wanted to hear first what gaf could "sell" me.

BooJoh

Hi gaf,

I just bought a 25€ card and want to download some games from the e-store.

what are the best?

I already have
-GB titles; mario 2 & link awakening
-Dark void
-kid icarus
-Zelda 4 swords

Is was looking at the video of the armadillo one and it looked interesting.
I was planning on buying shantae, but that costs 12 euros wanted to hear first what gaf could "sell" me.

I don't see Pushmo on your list. It's a must have. Buy Pushmo.

Top Bottom