• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2012

Soroc

Is Nintendo really only going to keep releasing up to 3 items a week. I think that is the most I ever see.... I want more variety each week!!!

Is Nintendo really only going to keep releasing up to 3 items a week. I think that is the most I ever see.... I want more variety each week!!!

Variety is nice, but I'm more interested in seeing quality, which they've failed miserably at. The crappy part is they took one of the better games (DSiware's Tetris) off because people were smartly buying it instead of the completely overpriced Tetris Axis. Boo, Nintendo. Boooo.

Soroc

Variety is nice, but I'm more interested in seeing quality, which they've failed miserably at. The crappy part is they took one of the better games (DSiware's Tetris) off because people were smartly buying it instead of the completely overpriced Tetris Axis. Boo, Nintendo. Boooo.

Oh wow thats some pretty terrible tact by Ninty. Didn't know they did that!

I agree I'd like to see some better quality but at the same time I think it would be nice to see 1st party offering and 3rd party offerings, maybe doube the amount of content they are currently offering per week.

I'll be honest, I have no interest in any game that is not 3D. I know I'm probably missing out on some classics but I bought my 3DS for games made for that hardware. I guess I just want to see more 3dsware games and less DSi downloadable games and to an even lesser extent GB or any other way old emulated games.

Also where the hell are the demos?? There should be like 2-3 demos per week going up of retail/downloadable games either already released or upcoming releases.

Oh wow thats some pretty terrible tact by Ninty. Didn't know they did that!

I agree I'd like to see some better quality but at the same time I think it would be nice to see 1st party offering and 3rd party offerings, maybe doube the amount of content they are currently offering per week.

I'll be honest, I have no interest in any game that is not 3D. I know I'm probably missing out on some classics but I bought my 3DS for games made for that hardware. I guess I just want to see more 3dsware games and less DSi downloadable games and to an even lesser extent GB or any other way old emulated games.

Also where the hell are the demos?? There should be like 2-3 demos per week going up of retail/downloadable games either already released or upcoming releases.

To be fair to them, I assumed that was the reason. There could be a legal reason. All I know is that for 5 bucks it was a much much better option than Axis.

Agreed about the demos. There should not be a major first party game that doesn't also have a demo. Shame on Nintendo for being so slack in this regard.

Heropon

Well, well, now that there have been two weeks without anything relevant to my interests I'm going to demand more games: I want Wario Land 2!!!!!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Order Up Demo is pretty fun. Glad this is going to be a $9.99 eShop game and not a retail release. I might actually buy it for a good time waster.

zigg

To be fair to them, I assumed that was the reason. There could be a legal reason.
Seeing the danger of "Nintendo took our Tetris Party so they could sell more copies of Tetris Axis" taking on a life of its own again with no proof, I went looking online for a few seconds. Found this:

We reached out to the publisher, Tetris Online Inc., for an explanation.

Casey Pelkey, vice president of marketing, had this to say:

I can confirm that Tetris Party Live is no longer available for sale within the 3DS eShop, effective 3/31/2012. Tetris Online Inc.’s license from The Tetris Company expired at the end of March and there are no plans to renew it.
Go forth and speculate no more.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I remember someone writing this whole shady mess regarding the Tetris license for I think that game. Can't recall exactly.

Wow Order Up demo was actually kinda cool. Game's on my radar now. Need to wait to after E3 to know how much spare money, if any, I'll have tho.

Also glad to see the 3DS VC games are being released again this week. And alongside a demo! NOA is evolving!

Seeing the danger of "Nintendo took our Tetris Party so they could sell more copies of Tetris Axis" taking on a life of its own again with no proof, I went looking online for a few seconds. Found this:

Go forth and speculate no more.

I'll speculate the same thing since it benefits them for the more expensive game to be the only real option. And the shitty part is that it's same damn game, but in 3D. Same engine/modes. Really lame. Fortunately Tetris Axis appears to have been a huge bomb and can now be had for 9.99 new at various places. That's still 5 dollars more than the DSiware game, which was the perfect fix for us nerdy Tetris fans.

jgkspsx

There was a Nikoli DS game that came out here, IIRC. I really liked the Slitherlink and Kakuro puzzles in James Noir. They were that game's main high point, I think.]

EDIT: Whoops, 3DS game.

I'll speculate the same thing since it benefits them for the more expensive game to be the only real option. And the shitty part is that it's same damn game, but in 3D. Same engine/modes. Really lame. Fortunately Tetris Axis appears to have been a huge bomb and can now be had for 9.99 new at various places. That's still 5 dollars more than the DSiware game, which was the perfect fix for us nerdy Tetris fans.

Yes but what is unfair is that you are blaming Nintendo without any real justification. They are not the only party involved in this matter. Are they the dev? Are they the pub? Do they hold the rights to the game? All we know for sure is that the provide the digital download service on which the game previously resided.

You may be entirely right and Nintendo is completely responsible for this. However, you may not. We simply do not know and that is the point.

Question: Am I right in thinking that Nintendo are going to re-release DS games as downloads on the e-Shop or did I dream that?

Javier

Question: Am I right in thinking that Nintendo are going to re-release DS games as downloads on the e-Shop or did I dream that?
Nothing has been officially announced, but with 3DS retail games coming to the eShop, I see no reason why DS games won't show up further down the line.

OMG Aero

Has anything been announced for the eShop next week yet? Part of me is hoping they do a new game "it's available on the eShop right now" announcement during E3 like they did with Rolling Western during Nintendo Direct.

M3d10n

3DS games, yes, DS games... it's complicated. Right now the only way to run legacy DS software without cartridges is DSiWare, which are limited to ~20MBs and must be installed in the internal memory.

To offer larger DS games, Nintendo needs to develop a different way to deploy them. The GBA ambassador games are probably an experiment in that regard: it's obvious they are running in legacy DS mode (they are not emulated like the NES, GB and GG games) but unlike DSiWare they are executed from the SD card.

Nothing has been officially announced, but with 3DS retail games coming to the eShop, I see no reason why DS games won't show up further down the line.

Woo! Thanks :). I am hoping to pick up the DS games that I missed and are now hard to find.

3DS games, yes, DS games... it's complicated. Right now the only way to run legacy DS software without cartridges is DSiWare, which are limited to ~20MBs and must be installed in the internal memory.

To offer larger DS games, Nintendo needs to develop a different way to deploy them. The GBA ambassador games are probably an experiment in that regard: it's obvious they are running in legacy DS mode (they are not emulated like the NES, GB and GG games) but unlike DSiWare they are executed from the SD card.

Oh :(. Let's hope their experiment proved to be fruitful!

Incidentally, I really like your new avatar. Is there a story behind it? I have not seen that pic elsewhere.

rpmurphy

Wow Order Up demo was actually kinda cool. Game's on my radar now. Need to wait to after E3 to know how much spare money, if any, I'll have tho.

Also glad to see the 3DS VC games are being released again this week. And alongside a demo! NOA is evolving!
The game is nice, but the demo was kinda janky for me. There were graphical glitches and controls were tricky to pull down, laggy, and the UI messy to use.

Chopper

(Accidentally posted in the old thread)

Wondering if folks can persuade/dissuade me from making these purchases as they're on sale right now:

Gunman Clive (£1.49)
Mighty Switch Force! (£4.09)
Liberation Maiden (£4.49)
Mutant Mudds (£5.39)
You did it again!

Here!

Now stop posting and buy all of those games.

Top Bottom