• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
FoneBone said:
As with most licensed games, I wouldn't bet on it ever receiving a legit rerelease.

One of my favorite games as a kid, and this is the first I've ever heard of it being a licensed game. Holy damn! Looked into it, that's nuts. I had no freaking idea.

The Hermit

Ranger X said:
Just finished Super Mario Kart :lol

Damn this game is SO GOOOOOOD. I still can't believe it.

Super Mario Kart is my most played multiplayer game of 2008/2009.
Be it versus, battle, championship or time trial, its incredibly fun and addictive. Last year me with a couple of buddies tried to see who could make the best time in Mario Circuit 1 the entire night...

Also, I will never forget how I won a battle by making a red shell it the guy who threw it at me... so many memories :D

Anyone get the electoplankton games? Are they the same as the original? I don't want to spend 2400 pts/$24 on a game I already have.

Ranger X

Cerebral Assassin said:
Do all the little "glitches" still exist?(like the eternally spinning red shells in battle track 3)

I didn't notice anything different. I remembered also all those places where, if you put some item there, the NPCs can't avoid them. It's always nice to hear the spinout sound as much as possible. :p

donny2112

Zapper and SuperScope games. I know Nintendo would have to somehow adapt their controller to working as a light gun, but I have to think it'd be possible with enough work. Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge are calling ...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FoxHimself said:
What's all this I hear about the Super FX chips? Are they impossible to emulate or something?

No, they aren't at all. Some people think that just because those two chipsets haven't been emulated on the VC yet means that Nintendo is holding out for some insane reason.

Starfox and the rest have been emulated properly for at least eight or nine years now.

Man God said:
No, they aren't at all. Some people think that just because those two chipsets haven't been emulated on the VC yet means that Nintendo is holding out for some insane reason.

Starfox and the rest have been emulated properly for at least eight or nine years now.
It probably means that Nintendo hasn't implemented them in their own emulator and we won't see VC titles that utilize them until Nintendo writes wholly owned SuperFX emulation code.

Deku

Banned
I had this crazy theory that PilotWings/and PilotWings 64 and Star Fox were being held back for potential franchise releaunches on the Wii.

Whether those games were ever in the works we won't know.

sfried

Man God said:
From what I understand, no. The timing is waaay to fast when emulating the Super FX chip on emulators.

Nintendo's VC emulation tends to try to be port perfect right down to the slowdown. Didn't StarFox 64 recieve updates because of this?

Also, Super Mario Kart was Mode 7, not Super FX.

jeremy1456

cartman414 said:
The rights to the game are intertwined between Enix and Treasure.

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo published the game in North America, so Enix wouldn't really be a factor for us here.

Oli

Any impressions on Bit Trip Void? I skipped Core because it seemed a bit too similar to the first, which I have yet to finish, but this one seems different enough for me to give it a shot pre-completion of Bit Trip Beat.

Oli said:
Any impressions on Bit Trip Void? I skipped Core because it seemed a bit too similar to the first, which I have yet to finish, but this one seems different enough for me to give it a shot pre-completion of Bit Trip Beat.
You want a "PAX" impression? From what I saw, it hasn't changed much here. It's similar to the other BitTrip games, yet very different. The risk reward strategy for holding a bigger ball, and the analog 2 axis movement that you now have control over is very very refreshing compared to the rest.

Edit: So, what's the verdict on Digidrive? Specifically if I've imported the entire BitGeneration line before (and it's my photo up on Wiki for that line of games)

Nessus

Oli said:
I skipped Core because it seemed a bit too similar to the first, which I have yet to finish, but this one seems different enough for me to give it a shot

Same. Bit Trip Void looks pretty cool, less insanely difficult (from videos), and I really like the music.

Capndrake said:
OFLC update:

Oh my god, a 3rd party N64 game! Finally! and its a cracker of a game too! (also one of the rarest N64 games too!)

Great news! Maybe there's hope for the likes of Goemon 64, Turok 1 & 2 and Beetle Adventure Racing afterall! (and Rareware's catalogue, maybe... when pigs fly :( )

Capndrake

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh my god, a 3rd party N64 game! Finally! and its a cracker of a game too! (also one of the rarest N64 games too!)

Great news! Maybe there's hope for the likes of Goemon 64, Turok 1 & 2 and Beetle Adventure Racing afterall! (and Rareware's catalogue, maybe... when pigs fly :( )
Nintendo published it in Japan originally and is still doing so now (Also, it's an import for PAL).

Ranger X

Cerebral Assassin said:
It did have extra chip/s in it from what I remember(a DSP or something like that)

It does. This was to make the game fast enough to handle 2 mode set planes at the same time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Capndrake said:
OFLC update:

THERE IS A GOD.

4ilg6f.jpg

Already own the cart, but I will download the VC version in a second. I may even gift it to a few people!!

Ranger X said:
It does. This was to make the game fast enough to handle 2 mode set planes at the same time.

it was just laziness(or lack of knowledge?) of the devs.

street racer supported 4 players at the same time with four sets of Mode-7 layers, scrolling with the same speed as Super mario kart. and this without additional chip.
but street racer was released way later so maybe they knew the snes hardware better already

explodet

Ogre Battle 64 was one of the first games I requested - nay, DEMANDED - when VC was first announced.
Better late than never, eh?

iamaustrian said:
it was just laziness(or lack of knowledge?) of the devs.

street racer supported 4 players at the same time with four sets of Mode-7 layers, scrolling with the same speed as Super mario kart. and this without additional chip.
but street racer was released way later so maybe they knew the snes hardware better already

I don't know how true this is but it was said(in UK mags at the time)that the extra chip in SMK was originally meant to be part of the SNES chipset but was removed due to cost.

EvilMario said:
Already own the cart, but I will download the VC version in a second. I may even gift it to a few people!!

When it comes out you should gift it to me. Never played it, always wanted to. Broke as hell right now. Will pay you back/pay it forward when I eventually get a steady job.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
AWESOME news on Ogre Battle 64!! Thanks to a GAFfer, I own a cart that still remains sealed, now I can play the game in 480p without having to hook up my N64, while leaving the original sealed. Niiiiice!

Hobbun

Well I suppose with SE coming out with a remake (or similar to a remake) of Lufia II, we won't see Lufia 1 or II on the VC anytime soon, if ever.

Hobbun said:
Well I suppose with SE coming out with a remake (or similar to a remake) of Lufia II, we won't see Lufia 1 or II on the VC anytime soon, if ever.
Huh? If anything this only gives S/E more of a reason to put the Snes games on the VC.

Hobbun

You think so? I figured they wouldn’t want to put the SNES games on the VC so it wouldn’t detract from sales for the new DS version.

I hope you are right.

Capndrake said:
Nintendo published it in Japan originally and is still doing so now (Also, it's an import for PAL).

But Atlus published it in the US (and they would be releasing the US version in PAL regions) so wouldn't Nintendo still need to negotiate with both Atl
us and Square Enix in this case?

Edit: How many upcoming import games have been rated for PAL regions now? I smell another Hanabi Festival coming around the corner!

Ranger X

For some reason there was a megaton in my head for a fraction of a second when I saw the image. I thought that it was Golden Sun launching the gameboy advance games on the VC !!

Hobbun said:
You think so? I figured they wouldn’t want to put the SNES games on the VC so it wouldn’t detract from sales for the new DS version.

I hope you are right.

At worst the VC releases will arrive long after Lufia DS hits stores. The FF games are starting to creep in and I'm sure that after DQ6 DS the console versions of those games will finally hit as well.

It also helps that Lufia doesn't have much name recognition to work with. To add to that Lufia DS apparently has little in common with the original aside from Characters and Story. I'm certain something will be worked out.

Anybody tried Bit.Trip Void? I loved Beat but can't justify getting this one as a blind buy after the disappointing Core. I'm hoping the mid-level checkpoints work well, which would do wonders for helping to make the game more playable. I still can't get even midway through the second level in Core.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nuclear Muffin said:

I just want Cruis'n World. The only Cruis'n game to receive an awesome N64 port.

Speaking of N64, why isn't there any Controller Pak emulation? Is Nintendo just being lazy? Don't some N64 emulators have Controller Pak emulation?

Nessus

sfried said:
Didn't StarFox 64 recieve updates because of this?

The update was to fix a game-killing glitch but had the side effect of ruining the frame rate again.

Which is why I chose not to update. I prefer the higher frame rate, and have played through the game just fine with no freezing. I never want to go back to N64 sub-30 FPS, and why I'm so excited about the XBLA Perfect Dark. Was a great game but nearly unplayable now due to the frame rate.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
*eyeballs spinning*
BIIIIIIIIIT TRIIIIIIIP VOOOOOOIIID
*collapses*

@lordoftherink, I was dissapointed in Core as well, but Void is much much better.

Top Bottom