• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Capndrake

The USK has rated Dragon's Lair for DSiWare, probably being released instead of the DS port they announced a year or two ago?

Captain N

Capndrake said:
The USK has rated Dragon's Lair for DSiWare, probably being released instead of the DS port they announced a year or two ago?

that's awesome! I hope it gets released soon. We really could use a nice supply of good dsiware titles.

zigg

DarkWish said:
Seriously. I only have 40 blocks left so I'm going to have to start deleting some stuff now.

I've been doing it for probably a month already.

On the plus (for me) side, the fact that I'd have to make space again for Pinball Pulse helped give me that little extra push to keep me from getting it right away, when I still have a DSi backlog to attack. :D

zigg

:Motorbass said:
Can you keep the savefiles (?) when you delete DSi Ware games?

When you copy them to/from SD the save goes with them.

Redownloading will give you a blank save.

zigg

Somnid said:
DSiWare works the exact same as Wiiware in terms of copying.

No it doesn't! See above. In particular, there's no saves menu in Data Management...

Plus, you can recopy a game in memory over top of an existing SD card copy to update its save.

Golden Darkness said:
Gradius Rebirth apparently has an update that includes...
It may be just for just Japanese Wiiware owners for now.
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/14/gradius_rebirth_update/
Really? An update? That's impressive. I didn't expect:
- an update on a Wii game (the only updates of Wii games I can think of are of Nintendo channels and that Mario Kart 64 update)
- Konami to release such an update for free, especially with new music and better graphics

I wasn't planning on getting Gradius Rebirth, but maybe I will now...

Nessus

Why would you do that? said:
the only updates of Wii games I can think of are of Nintendo channels and that Mario Kart 64 update

There was an update for StarFox 64 as well, reduced the frame rate, but eliminated some bug I've never encountered (I prefer the smooth frame rate so I haven't updated).

And well, they've updated various Channels and the Opera Browser.

Nessus said:
There was an update for StarFox 64 as well, reduced the frame rate, but eliminated some bug I've never encountered (I prefer the smooth frame rate so I haven't updated).

And well, they've updated various Channels and the Opera Browser.

Kirby 64 got an update as well, as has Art Style Aquia and Flipnote Studio on DSi Ware.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why would you do that? said:
- an update on a Wii game (the only updates of Wii games I can think of are of Nintendo channels and that Mario Kart 64 update)
I was in the store the other day and saw that Dr. Mario got an update. A quick search says it changed how the leaderboards worked.

Jethro

Wednesday and we already know the games for tomorrow:

VIRTUAL CONSOLE - Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Super Nintendo)
(LucasArts, 800 Wii Points)
Join the Rebellion and crush the Death Star in a giant universe filled with all the action and adventure of the Star Wars finale.

Take command of five different characters - from Wicket the Ewok to Princess Leia - and go up against the Empire's worst, from Jabba the Hutt to the Emperor himself! This is it! You're going to need every ounce of Force you've got in you!

Battle in actual movie locales, from Jabba the Hutt's palace to the Forest of Endor and the Emperor's Tower. Duel sabers with the darkest of the dark side: Bib Fortuna, Jabba the Hutt, the Rancor, Darth Vader and the Emperor!

WiiWARE - Little Tournament Over Yonder
(Gevo Entertainment, 800 Wii Points)
Enter the world of Little Tournament Over Yonder. Play as a young Prince or Princess leading your team through numerous battles. Plan and deploy your units to gain strategic advantages and launch real-time battles between units and learn to fight hard, fight fast and fight smart. You'll also need to build your team, hire new units with different powers and ensure they have battle experience to advance through the levels.

This is a game that involves strategic planning and real-time fast-paced fighting - perfect for the ultimate warrior. Go for Single-Player Tournament quest and glory, or challenge a friend in the 2-Player Versus match.

WiiWARE - Heron: Steam Machine
(Triangle Studios, 500 Wii Points)
Heron: Steam Machine is a game about a factory where rubber duckies are being produced by a large steam engine. On this steam engine, there are four different gauges which you will have to watch carefully.

By connecting the pipes, you will earn points and relieve some of the pressure, keeping the machine running just a little bit longer. If one of the gauges reaches its maximum, the machine will eventually blow up, and the game is over.

In Multiplayer, you can work with friends to maintain the steam machine. When you play with two, three or four players, the screen is divided into sections with different background colours. Each player is restricted to their own section of the screen, having to solve their own puzzles, so you'll have to work together to make the pipes fit properly!

NINTENDO DSiWARE - Wakugumi: Monochrome Puzzle
(Nintendo, 500 Nintendo DSi Points)
From the makers of brain-teasing classics like Actionloop and Polarium comes a new challenge, one that will test both your grey matter and your stylus skills.

Wakugumi: Monochrome Puzzle is based on a simple premise: clear black and white blocks from the play area, 'capturing' blocks of one colour by surrounding them with blocks of the opposite colour. You control the action with your stylus, swapping blocks back and forth to make the perfect captures.

Learn the basics in Training Mode, then test your capturing techniques in Score Attack as you try to clear as many blocks as possible within a time limit, chaining captures together to score bonuses. Or try your hand at Time Attack - can you erase all the blocks and work your way down the vertical course as quickly as possible?

NINTENDO DSiWARE - Viking Invasion
(BiP Media, 800 Nintendo DSi Points)
Coming from the north, Olaf the Viking's comical horde is set to make waves on your Nintendo DSi.

The Viking drakkars are sailing up the rivers to your castles and it's up to you to construct fortifications so they do not pillage everything you own. But watch out: the more you defend yourself, the greater the waves of Vikings become. Fortunately the experience you gain will help you to build even more powerful defences. Thwart all your assailant's ruses and unlock new kinds of buildings.

Can you rise to the challenge and prevent Olaf from pillaging all your valuables for his sweetheart Olga?

Little Tournament over Yonder sounds interesting, any infos on that?

Rlan

Shame they don't release, y'know, screenshots alongside their press releases. Heck, it'd be nice to see developers announce their own bloody games sometimes.

The only vauge information on little tournament over younder:

head.png

left.png

http://www.gevo.com.sg/littletoy/

Viking Invasion looks like a nice Tower Defense game:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xar4vq_nintendo-dsiware-viking-invasion-tr_videogames

And nothing says "buy me" like Wakugumi.

rpmurphy

According to this site (authentic?), DS version of Dragon's Lair is abandoned and is now coming to DSiWare: http://dragonslair.dualscreenradio.com/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (October 14, 2009) - Being the accepted authority on the Nintendo DS version of Dragon's Lair, we have finally managed to gather enough information together to issue an official press release on what's going on with this title. This information was provided by Digital Leisure - the current license holders of the title.

Dragon's Lair will be officially released on the Nintendo DSi via the Nintendo DSiWare download service. Currently, the title is being tested for approval by Nintendo of America, with Nintendo of Europe looking at the title tentatively by the end of the week or early next week.

The testing and acceptance process by Nintendo is an uncertain one - and a release date is not available for either region. However, Digital Leisure is optimistic that a Q4 2009 release is still possible.

No price point has been disclosed at this time.

We have been informed by Digital Leisure that nothing has been sacrificed for this version of Dragon's Lair - that all video/rooms shall remain intact. Both arcade and home versions will be included.

Authenticity of the arcade version cannot be verified by us at the current time, but we are hopeful to have access to the final build before release date so that we can properly inform the community on this. We know that diehard fans of the property want the most perfect experience possible - and we will certainly provide you with that information once we have it. We have a good relationship with Digital Leisure and we are sure they will be as accommodating as possible with information as it is available.

We would also like to clear up our affiliation with United Coders and the previous reported information with regards to the Dragon's Lair DS title that we have been tracking for a couple of years now. Although ultimately the decision of Conspiracy Entertainment Europe, Digital Leisure believes that the United Coder's version of Dragon's Lair DS is dead. It is unfortunate that we (and subsequently, our listeners) have been less-than-informed about this title. We can assure our listeners that we indeed had the final, release candidate build and that everything we posted from videos to technical information was as accurate as we were given. We spent many long hours ensuring this product would make the Dragon's Lair community proud; but, sometimes the misleading are also the misled.

Rlan

Well looks like nothing came out this week in Australia on WiiWare - not even Lost Winds 2! Did DS get anything?

Wakugumi is awesome but it did not click with me right now so I'm all kinds of bad :( It was the same with chokan hitufude on release. I could not get a C rank there ever :D

Viking Invasion is cool as well. There is even a campaign mode where you have to solve several levels in a particular order. It has some kind of story too :D

I like the sprites thought they don't have much animations :(

Capndrake

VC for Japan next Tuesday:

-Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi (FC, Nintendo)
-Dig Dug (VCA, Namco Bandai)
-Dig Dug II (VCA, Namco Bandai)

Yes Boss!

This has probably been asked a bunch before but do American credit cards work on the Japanese Wii Store...or will I have to buy points cards? (Foreign cards currently work on the DSi store fine).

Netto-kun

Yes Boss! said:
This has probably been asked a bunch before but do American credit cards work on the Japanese Wii Store...or will I have to buy points cards? (Foreign cards currently work on the DSi store fine).
It works perfectly fine with my Norwegian credit card. So I assume it's the same with an American credit card.

Dig Dug II is actually quite a nice surprise. Instead of digging around trying to blow up the baddies and drop rocks on them you've gotta sink entire islands to drown them.

This is accomplished by using a jackhammer or something to drill along fault-lines and cause huge masses of land to break away and sink in the water. Course you gotta make sure that the area you're destroying is smaller than the area you're standing on or you'll go down as well.

This is a very blatant and thus easy to understand risk/reward system at work. It certainly helps to keep the game less repetitive than the prequel as there are many different shapes for each stage.

Course we'll probably never see it in the west so why do I even bother?

Just grab it via Namco Virtual Arcade Museum 360 or something instead. These days I bet you can grab that for $10 and get like 30+ other games to boot.

Somnid

Japanese Update for the week of 10/18/2009:

VC:
Fire Emblem (NES, Nintendo)
Dig Dug (ARC, Nintendo)
Dig Dug II (ARC, Nintendo)

WiiWare:
UNO (Gameloft, 800pts)

DSiWare:
DSiWare 500:
The Tower DS: Kougai Ekimae ichiba ni idome!! Kyodai Shopping Center Hen (DigiToys)
[The Tower DS: Suburb Station-front challenge! Huge Shopping Center Chapter]

DsiWare Premium:
Pocket Rurubu: Yokohama/Kamakura (Nintendo)
Pocket Rurubu: Oosaka (Nintendo)

Somnid

upandaway said:
What's this Premium thing now? Just a random way to put Nintendo's own games in the spotlight?

No it's the highest price bracket because Nintendo for some reason sorts it by price. Some users had just assumed it's always 800 points but it's really 800+. It shouldn't have been bolded as per my usually format.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias release date announced for The Americas

Following rave reviews in Europe the season switching WiiWare hit debuts 19th October.

16th October 2009, Cambridge, UK. Frontier Developments Ltd. (‘Frontier’) today announced that LostWinds®: Winter of the Melodias will be released on Monday 19th October 2009 by Nintendo of America on the innovative WiiWare™ service.

David Braben, Frontier’s Chairman and Founder, said: “The original LostWinds was embraced by the US, and the sequel has major new gameplay features and improvements across the board. After the incredible reception in Europe for Winter of the Melodias, we’re excited to see what the American reaction will be.”

The eagerly awaited follow-up to last year’s best selling, award-winning WiiWare launch title has received high praise across the board in Europe including:

IGN UK 91% “With satisfyingly challenging puzzles expertly woven between engaging platforming and a thoroughly charming narrative, Winter of the Melodias represents an essential purchase. It's not simply the best WiiWare title on the market, but one of the best Wii games full stop”.

Eurogamer 90% “If this is the kind of thing WiiWare can do, let's have some more of it, frankly.”

Vandal Online 93% “LostWinds was probably one of the most attractive and interesting games on the Wii (not only WiiWare), and Winter of Melodias completely surpasses it.”

zConnect 96% “Even if you’ve never played the first game, make sure to pick up this wondrous little gem.”

Videogamer 90% “the game's overall aesthetic is so powerful that Winter of the Melodias might well be one of the most beautiful games ever created.”

Once again puts the power of the wind in the palm of your hand, as you experience Toku and Enril’s new adventure to save Toku’s mother, lift an ancient curse and thwart the evil Balasar. The elemental powers of Enril the Wind Spirit are used to protect and guide the young boy Toku - power his jumps and glides, suspend and smash new enemies, and explore all-new expanses of the stunningly presented, magical land of Mistralis.

Players can instantly transform Mistralis between Summer and Winter, harnessing the brilliance of nature: frozen Winter ponds and waterfalls become deep, teeming Summer pools and chambers in which to dive and unlock secrets, enemies can be frozen or doused, and the very air itself used to form snowballs or moisture-laden clouds. Other amazing new abilities include the cyclone, which can be used to transport Toku, smash powerful enemies and even drill through the rock of Mistralis’ diverse, richly interactive Chilling Peaks and Melodia City areas.

With production values to match the very best Wii disc titles, LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias will be available to download directly to the living rooms of millions of families in the Americas exclusively via Nintendo’s WiiWare service.

Pricing: 1000 Wii™ Points. WiiWare is accessible through Wii.
'nuff said.

Somnid said:
Japanese Update for the week of 10/18/2009:

VC:
Fire Emblem (NES, Nintendo)
Dig Dug (ARC, Nintendo)
Dig Dug II (ARC, Nintendo)

WiiWare:
UNO (Gameloft, 800pts)

DSiWare:
DSiWare 500:
The Tower DS: Kougai Ekimae ichiba ni idome!! Kyodai Shopping Center Hen (DigiToys)
[The Tower DS: Suburb Station-front challenge! Huge Shopping Center Chapter]

DsiWare Premium:
Pocket Rurubu: Yokohama/Kamakura (Nintendo)
Pocket Rurubu: Oosaka (Nintendo)

Wow. First time on a non debut date of a platform where both a game and its sequel came out at the same time, day and date.

Rlan

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dig Dug II is actually quite a nice surprise. Instead of digging around trying to blow up the baddies and drop rocks on them you've gotta sink entire islands to drown them.

This is accomplished by using a jackhammer or something to drill along fault-lines and cause huge masses of land to break away and sink in the water. Course you gotta make sure that the area you're destroying is smaller than the area you're standing on or you'll go down as well.

This is a very blatant and thus easy to understand risk/reward system at work. It certainly helps to keep the game less repetitive than the prequel as there are many different shapes for each stage.

Course we'll probably never see it in the west so why do I even bother?

Just grab it via Namco Virtual Arcade Museum 360 or something instead. These days I bet you can grab that for $10 and get like 30+ other games to boot.

I'm probably the only person who bought Dig Dug: Drilling Strike on the Nintendo DS, but I really enjoyed it. It was a mixture of the original Dig Dug with Dig Dug II's top-down gameplay:

http://au.ds.ign.com/dor/objects/75...e/videos/digdug2.html;jsessionid=lnldanb6vog3

The DS also doesn't have a particularly high resolution screen (a single screen is more than the GBA but not by a great amount).

I have a feeling they are using a different codec from the usual Act Imagine (that right?) which retail DS games use and/or the colour depth might suffer slightly. In fact I hope it isn't Act Imagine as every time I see that logo in a games startup I just know there is going to be some horribly blocking and artefacted FMV somewhere in the game :(

Come to think of it, what is the size limit on DSi games?

Top Bottom