• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS (Dual Screen), Platinum $199.82 11/30/2004 @ Walmart.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill get a DS at $99.99, but wont get it any sooner, unless maybe i end up with alot of disposable income, than maybe $130... $200 is gotta be a mistake or a joke.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I predict Fry's will sell this for $170 the day of release.

Memles

Today's Lesson: Read the Thread before posting.

This is no different from the EB/GameSpot listings, and is likely no more official. It could be the actual price, but there is no way of confirming this until Nintendo announces it. Convince yourselves all tou want, but Wal-Mart is not a guaranteed source of MSRP. Show some signage, then we'll see.

I too am more curious about the software pricing...because at this point, I think a definite option for the system would be selling it for $200 but offering a free game. Then, discontinue the free game deal around PSP launch, and then sell the system for the $150 and games will come in at either $35 or $40. So really, they've been selling the system for about 160-170 for a long period of time, and then they only have a price cut of 10 in actuality but it seems bigger to the average, stupid consumer.

This is no guarantee of $200. Hell, I'll have problems justifying a purchase at $150, so don't think I'm playing damage control because I'm dying for a $150 price point. But really...this is no more concrete than EB.

jedimike

Retailers don't set these prices without guidance. They have to have some idea of how much the product is and how much will be available so they know how much to order. I would be suprised if the price is anything but $199.

I'm also concerned about the lack of information this late in the game. It's the first time I can remember that so little was known about a game device so close to launch. By this time in 2001, I already knew what games I was going to get with my Xbox bundle.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nevermind. NDS will be mine the day it comes out regardless the price, along with the first party games and the surgery thing (not the kinky one). Commercial success and the resulting lifetime of the platform is another question, of course, as discussed in another thread.

Prospero

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes at $200, but I most likely won't be buying one at that price, since I already own an SP.

Plus I'm inclined to wait and see if the machine has any design flaws--$200 is too much to pay for a device with paint that wears off, or one that gets dust under its screen.

Chittagong said:
Nevermind. NDS will be mine the day it comes out regardless the price, along with the first party games and the surgery thing (not the kinky one). Commercial success and the resulting lifetime of the platform is another question, of course, as discussed in another thread.

Exactly, I'll be getting this as I've looked forward to it. But if so many are willing to bail out by a price that many here had actually expected, I can only imagine what people are going to do with the PSP. *shrugs* Get over it, there's still an alternative out there for cheap gaming.

StrikerObi said:
Honestly, $35 sounds about right to me.
Not likely. Many current Nintendo GBA games are listed at that price and do you actually think GBA games will cost the same as DS games? The DS cartridge is bound to be larger, storage-wise, and we all know that means it'll cost more. I'm betting on $40.

Anyways, I can care less if the DS comes out at $200 or $150 because I have too much to buy and play this holiday as it is. I'd rather purchase 5 AAA games for any/all of my home consoles than to have just 1 DS w/ 1 game. The price will surely drop next year and I'm patient. :)

Alcibiades

jedimike said:
Retailers don't set these prices without guidance. They have to have some idea of how much the product is and how much will be available so they know how much to order. I would be suprised if the price is anything but $199.

I'm also concerned about the lack of information this late in the game. It's the first time I can remember that so little was known about a game device so close to launch. By this time in 2001, I already knew what games I was going to get with my Xbox bundle.
"concerned about the lack of information"

concerned about DS, or that competition it's going to give XBox in November...

You people that are laughing at those thinking the DS will ship at $200 are no different with your assumptions. In fact, they at least have some type of confirmation from 3 sources so far of what the DS might be priced at while yours is based off wishful thinking.

jedimike

efralope said:

Only Nfans consider handhelds competitors in the console market ;) I don't care if DS retails for $50 or $500... I won't be buying it. 1. Because I don't know shit about it (thx Nintendo). 2. Because there are at least 15 Xbox games coming during the holidays that I do know about and would rather spend money on.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hopefully Walmart's (false) listing will get Nintendo on the ball with announcing the real price.

Prine

Banned
efralope said:

Handhelds and their games are not competition!

DS/PSP/GAB will have no impact on console sales!

AniHawk

Mr_Furious said:
You people that are laughing at those thinking the DS will ship at $200 are no different with your assumptions. In fact, they at least have some type of confirmation from 3 sources so far of what the DS might be priced at while yours is based off wishful thinking.

Well, my assumption is more of a report from what someone at NoA (not a store rep) told me Nintendo is aiming for $149.99.

I've said this since E3. I made a topic about it. People replied to it. It had over 80 responses.

AniHawk

Lost Weekend said:
Hopefully Walmart's (false) listing will get Nintendo on the ball with announcing the real price.

I think it'll be after Sony reveals all with the PSP. So October.

Link316

Banned
Walmart is tight with Nintendo so this is most likely the official price, I guess DS games will probably go for $40-$50

xsarien

daedsiluap
jedimike said:

Mark the calendar folks, I agree with Mikey here. Although I'm less concerned, more bemused. At this point, Nintendo themselves should've announced some games. They're either holding off for a sudden marketing blitz, or it's going to be launched quietly, and then advertised (For bizarre marketing reasons that I don't think any of us are qualified to question or interpret.)

Handhelds and their games are not competition!

DS/PSP/GAB will have no impact on console sales!

Japanese hardware sales for last week of August:

GameBoy Advance SP - 38,160
Xbox - 366

Suck it. Anything - including movies, television, and walking the damn dog - is competition to console sales.

i wouldn't throw down $199 on nintendo's new console, much less the brainchild of some bored developers at ncl who want to keep carving out that niche they so love.

jarrod

Banned
Won't matter launch supplies will sell out anyway (they're only shipping 3.5M worldwide until March 2005)... hopefully Picto-Chat is bundled as rumored.

jedimike

xsarien said:
Mark the calendar folks, I agree with Mikey here. Although I'm less concerned, more bemused. At this point, Nintendo themselves should've announced some games. They're either holding off for a sudden marketing blitz, or it's going to be launched quietly, and then advertised (For bizarre marketing reasons that I don't think any of us are qualified to question or interpret.)

haha... see what happens when you join the darkside. Seriously though, I knew everything about the Xbox. I knew I needed $500 (ouch) at launch to get my bundle... I knew exactly which games I had to choose from. I had screenshots and videos of every launch game. There was nothing left for me to know about. It was just excitement and anticipation at this point.

AniHawk said:
Well, my assumption is more of a report from what someone at NoA (not a store rep) told me Nintendo is aiming for $149.99.

I've said this since E3. I made a topic about it. People replied to it. It had over 80 responses.
Regardless, it's still hearsay and your "friend" could very well be wrong.

skip

there's still like, 3 months to go. based on what the little birds are saying, information is on the way.

AniHawk

jedimike said:
I knew I needed $500 (ouch) at launch to get my bundle...

Xbox, extra controller, Halo, PGR, DoA3, and Fuzion Frenzy?

MrFurious said:
Regardless, it's still hearsay and your "friend" could very well be wrong.

Well I doubt he's wrong since he never said it was a definite thing- just that they were aiming for $149.99. Depends on the features it included.

I think his name was John Cordell.

AniHawk said:
Well I doubt he's wrong since he never said it was a definite thing
So why are you so quick to laugh at those that think the DS might actually be priced higher than $150?

EDIT: Example

AniHawk said:
Holy shit, are some of you thinking it will really be $199.99?

I thought you were all joking. :lol :lol

AniHawk

Mr_Furious said:
So why are you so quick to laugh at those that think the DS might actually be priced higher than $150?

EDIT: Example

Because $200 is a ridiculously high price. If it had to be more than $150, it'd be at $180.

Nintendo has consistently put out reasonably priced handhelds since the GB days. Granted, the DS has plenty of features which will drive up the price, Nintendo knows what sells in the handheld market and what does not. Something which is more than $99.99 is already risky, but something that's twice that is downright lunacy.

If, IF Nintendo does price it at $199.99, they will be admitting a very early defeat.

I will retract my previous statement however- since I'm now remembering the latest comments about going after "early adopters" from Reggie and others (but that could mean that they know that it'd be much more mainstream at $99.99 like the GB series instead of at a $149.99 pricetag).

However, I still think a lot of people are overreacting at this point.

Mustang

Banned
Well, maybe we will soon see a

6081_195X40.gif

on the DS price. ;)

Justin Bailey

------ ------
AniHawk said:
Yeah, what's the deal with that again? The cent values are code for something, aren't they?
I think wal-mart does some weird psychological tests to see what numbers to use so people don't round up to the nearest dollar at first glance.

BuddyC

Mama Smurf said:
*kicks WordofGod in the crotch*

Tell us if it's new or if you just happened to check it out, saw there was information there and decided to post it?
See, this is why I like you. Reason, on the first page no less.

GDGF

Soothsayer
If Nintendo was really intending to price the NDS at 200 bucks (they're 'all about the money', remember?) then they wouldn't have lowered the GBASP's price by 20 bucks. A 100 dollar difference between two portables is more than enough to put them in seperate markets.

I stand by my prediction of $149.95

Matt

Mr_Furious said:
Not likely. Many current Nintendo GBA games are listed at that price and do you actually think GBA games will cost the same as DS games? The DS cartridge is bound to be larger, storage-wise, and we all know that means it'll cost more. I'm betting on $40.
The DS’s game cards are considerably cheaper to make then the GBA’s carts, even at much higher storage sizes.

I also predict $150. Could be a little higher or a little lower, but it would be more likely to be $120 than $200. $200 is just too much.

Lost Weekend said:
If Nintendo was really intending to price the NDS at 200 bucks (they're 'all about the money', remember?) then they wouldn't have lowered the GBASP's price by 20 bucks. A 100 dollar difference between two portables is more than enough to put them in seperate markets.

I stand by my prediction of $149.95
That would be reasonable thinking if Nintendo, themselves, didn't say that the DS would be their 3rd pillar and that it wasn't intended to compete or replace the GBA. $200 is just enough to attract the early adopters and with there being most likely a hardware shortage, Nintendo's sure to capitalize on it. Nintendo has been known to create hardware shortages to inflate interest in their consoles.

neptunes

where did Gamestop, EB and Walmart get this $200'ish price point from?

how come no other store has a lower placeholder price?

$200 USD = $257.50 CAD = no sale!

Link316

Banned
Matt said:
The DS?s game cards are considerably cheaper to make then the GBA?s carts, even at much higher storage sizes.

it doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo will pass on the savings to the 3rd party publishers, and besides DS game development is most likely more expensive than GBA game development

BuddyC

neptunes said:
where did Gamestop, EB and Walmart get this $200'ish price point from?

how come no other store has a lower placeholder price?

$200 USD = $257.50 CAD = no sale!
It's a fucking estimate. That way they can take preorders and not have to worry about honoring their low price if the MSRP is higher.

In other words, if these stores were taking reserves for the DS at $129.99 and Nintendo announced it for $149, they'd have to honor the $129.99 price point for anyone who reserved it during that time. By estimating at the highest possible price, retailers gurantee that they aren't shooting themselves in the foot. They'll just lower the price once it's confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom