• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: DS Piracy Causing A Nearly 50% Software Sales Drop In Europe

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Asashi Shimbun, Japan's second largest newspaper, posted up a rather interesting story today about Nintendo's struggles with piracy. Some of the information we knew already, but a lot of the statistics seem to be new.

Asahi said:
Console game makers fight 'magicom' piracy craze

BY SAKI MIZOROKI AND TAKASHI KAMIGURI THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

2010/04/20

Computer game manufacturers are losing trillions of yen to a new breed of software pirate armed with specially designed hardware.

So-called magic computers, often abbreviated to "magicom," allow users to run illicit software downloaded from the Internet on game consoles such as the Nintendo DS, the Nintendo Wii and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s PlayStations.

The magicom devices, which are spreading rapidly overseas, typically comprise of a cartridge about the same size as an authentic game disk and a separate memory card used to store downloaded software. Alternatively, some pirates modify the game consoles themselves.

The objective is to make hardware capable of circumventing the anti-piracy systems of the game makers.

Nintendo Co. said magicom hardware was largely to blame for a nearly 50-percent drop in sales in Europe in recent months.

Globally, the company estimates that annual losses are in the region of trillions of yen.

The widespread use of magicom hardware, particularly in Europe and the United States, suggests that many users do not feel that their actions are illegal or wrong.

"If I were to buy the software through the regular channels, it would cost so much," said a 32-year-old Japanese student in Los Angeles.

She purchased a magicom which included about a dozen software titles for the DS console last summer for $80 (7,500 yen) from a friend.

"Everybody is using it (magicom), and I don't feel like I am doing something particularly wrong," she said.

In June 2009, Nintendo monitored 10 websites based overseas that allowed people to illicitly download game software, and found that software had been pirated a total 238 million times.

Multiplied by the average unit price for software, the figure translates into 1 trillion yen ($10.7 billion) in lost sales.

Recently, magicom kits have been developed not only for the portable Nintendo DS system but also for larger game consoles such as the Nintendo Wii and Sony's PlayStation.

Japanese authorities have recently been cracking down on websites that distribute the pirated software, but the sheer number of sites involved makes the piracy difficult to eradicate.

Meanwhile, the scourge has spread to Europe.

According to a U.S. study last December, Italy leads Europe in the number of illegal downloads, followed by Spain and France.

Nintendo said it saw sales of its DS software plummet in Europe and some other markets by 45 percent in April-December 2009, compared to the previous year.

The drop was significantly steeper than an 11 percent fall in the United States and a 7 percent drop in Japan during the same period.

The issue is being discussed at the highest levels of Nintendo's management.

Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo, said at the announcement of the company's financial results in January that he hoped to "enhance the ability to combat piracy in Europe through both legal and technological means."

Iwata said that the company's efforts would focus mainly on developing game consoles that would not play the illegally downloaded software.

But such countermeasures are not always effective. Both Nintendo and Sony Computer Entertainment provide owners of their consoles with updates to console programs via the Internet which stop the use of illegally downloaded software.

However, users can intentionally avoid the anti-piracy measures by not hooking up to the Internet.

The government, meanwhile, is moving to tighten anti-piracy laws.

In January, revisions to the Copyright Law came into force prohibiting the downloading of pirated software and content such as music and videos from the Internet even for private use.

At present, it is difficult to prosecute offenders, but the industry ministry is mulling Copyright Law revisions that would make the assembly and distribution of devices which allow the playing of copied software a crime.

The ministry is looking into ways to punish such offenders.

"Pirated software negates all of the effort made by the creators. We hope to create rules that will protect the property value of games both inside Japan and overseas," a ministry official said.
Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38598/Piracy-accounts-for-dropping-DS-sales

bryehn

I want a magic computer. Seriously, I've never heard that term.

And I don't see any sort of quote or anything here from Nintendo themselves relating to software numbers.

trinest

I love how the gaming industry number one thing to blame shit on is Priacy. Yes its a factor- but this late into the game (and the fact the "R4" isn't as well sought out as before- also their umbrella term for mod cards), seems to me theres more factors at play which they could do to begin with to raise sales then just go straight to "lolz prates".

I wonder why Piracy is higher in places like Europe, Australia etc. then America- mmm, oh to much thinking there- lets just blame it anyway!

Start doing better business decisions instead of dumping your problems on piracy.

trinest said:
I wonder why Piracy is higher in places like Europe, Australia etc. then America- mmm, oh to much thinking there- lets just blame it anyway!

Start doing better business decisions instead of dumping your problems on piracy.

Out of curiosity... what's your explanation/theory for a much steeper drop in sales in Europe than in other territories?

Also, I agree: better business decisions, Nintendo! Worst. Business. Ever.

Barrett2

trinest said:

Oh good, another thread where GAFfers who probably pirate the shit out of games are going to furiously rage at companies who for some reason have a problem with people illegally stealing their property.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
timetokill said:
Out of curiosity... what's your explanation/theory for a much steeper drop in sales in Europe than in other territories?

Two words.

Prices. Income.

upandaway

trinest said:
No one in my country buys real games unless he is playing on a PS3. Absolutely no one.

Games just don't come. And when they come, they cost upwards x2 or x2.5 their price in the US, and the most advertising a game gets is having the box art among those ads where you see tons of box arts to advertise a piracy device.
Then there's also the whole clusterfuck of NTSC consoles, PAL consoles, and a similar clusterfuck with the region of the games. If you decide to buy a console and then a game without really checking, you might be buying different region products that may not work together.

It's so bad that there isn't a single person actively thinking to buy games legitimately. It's always first "is there a chip for it?" and then, depending on the answer, they buy it or they don't.
So really, it is piracy, no doubt. But the bullshit is not the people, it's the companies who don't provide support, and then bitch about people not paying luxury for what America gets for free.

I feel like such a hypocrite sometimes. I have no problem with the illegal downloading of music, but when I see people playing their DS with such an R4 (?) card it pisses me off to no end. At the very least, when you download a fuckload of songs/games and you end up liking a few really well, have the goddamn decency to go buy those.

Oh, and before my post is being misinterpreted: I don't condone game pirating, and have never taken part in it.

hiro4

trinest said:
I love how the gaming industry number one thing to blame shit on is Priacy. Yes its a factor- but this late into the game (and the fact the "R4" isn't as well sought out as before- also their umbrella term for mod cards), seems to me theres more factors at play which they could do to begin with to raise sales then just go straight to "lolz prates".

Yeah.. if everything was that easy.
It is creepy to see how easy it is to get an R4 like card here. The local hardware shops even sell them here.
If gets even more creepier when parents are convinced that gameshops should give them free software since they paid for the R4 card. And they think it is absolutely normal to pirate.

One reason people always said they pirate is because of DRM or because it is easier. In this case it is because people are cheap bastards. I won't cry a bit when those cards cannot be used anymore. They should remove the region lock though from the DSi games.

trinest

timetokill said:

PAL regions are suspetable to longer waits for the latest gaming titles, as well as been the best place for video game publishers to rape with high prices. Especially with exchange rates been low for so long- they should be much more cheaper then what they are, I know there are other factors there- but the simple fact is people can import games cheaper or pirate- and piracy is for most an easier option.

Promotions, special editions etc. are also more around places like America or Japan, which some gamers believe that is there right- especially for the latest game (which they have waited so long for), they then wait for the price to drop- and since this generation prices are very static before dropping down in price when they finally get discontinued the crowd which goes "I'll wait for it to drop in price" never gets to buy the game, which removes sales.

Also in general quality wise, I know this effects everyone- but it seems even though PAL regions are sharfted the most, they pick up the latest gadgets and games quicker- but with the dwindling quaility, word gets around quick and they slowly stop buying from that developer or publisher or that series- again limiting sales on a game they so blindly think would do well.

Its turned into a more for less situation- and people just really don't give a crap anymore about those games which don't satisify there interests etc. anymore- instead of in the past would consider buying them. Also most gamers would me more mature older 20 - 30 instead of teenagers, so they are now buying the games instead of their parents- this means if they are short on cash they can't afford to buy a game they want, or think would be interesting- where as when they where a kid a few generations ago- they had parents back up which had more liquid assets.

szaromir

Banned
Now we know why Nintendo is introducing 3DS at the time when NDS is still beating all possible hardware sales records.

Rich!

Considering just how many clueless parents come into my store asking if we sell R4 cards, I'm not the least bit surprised by this news.

I remember when one customer brought a DSi and then asked for a R4 to go with it. After I said we obviously don't sell them, she started questioning how she would be able to play any games on it without one, as all her friends have R4 cards. I directed her to the DS retail section nearby, and she complained about the prices (nothing higher than £25). And then she left.

wtf

szaromir said:
Now we know why Nintendo is introducing 3DS at the time when NDS is still beating all possible hardware sales records.
Was thinking the same. Perhaps this will push the launch date for Europe too. Hurray for piracy!!!! /sarcasm

syllogism

It's revealing that just on one romsite Heart Gold and Soul Silver have been downloaded ~471k times each (including all the different languages)

I haven't bought a DS game since Mario & Luigi 3. For me the DS is as good as dead... There are some games I still wish to play, but they're all Japanese with no given English release (DQVI, SaGa2, 7th Dragon, Layton 3, 4, 5, etc).

Sure piracy is a huge problem on the DS, but it's not the ONLY reason...

Rich!

syllogism said:
It's revealing that just on one romsite Heart Gold and Soul Silver have been downloaded ~471k times each (including all the different languages)

I thought that those two games had pretty effective anti-piracy prevention in them? Namely the fact that the game forces random crashes when you exit areas and battles.

It's probably been fixed on the more advanced card firmwares (like the M3i), but on the R4? No chance.

sphinx

the piano man
I don't do piracy, at all.

but I have friends that do and it isn't a matter of doing a bad thing per se, it's a matter of software prices being too fucking high, specially outside the US.

That is the reason.

Go to any saturn here in Germany and expect to pay no less than 40 Euro for any game a gamer would give a damn for. That is prohibitely costly, specially if the market is composed of students, kids, part-time workers and NOT your blue-collar business man with 2 kids and vacations in Disney world every other year.

Specially DS games, ugh, I hate to see a €29.99 or even €39.99 price tags on DS games, I loudly say "FUCK YOU GAME DEVELOPER, RIGHT IN THE ASS" and innerly hope their damn games join Atari's ET's burial place in Arizona.

Sorry no sympathy for nintendo at all when after more than 5 freaking years, I go to my nearest Gamespot/Saturn in Germany and see MARIO 64 DS for €39.99 a pop. In fact, I hope nintendo takes the Europe problem as a lesson about how to treat costumers of all budgets. "Players' Choice" nintendo games are long overdue.

Same goes for Square Enix.

Notorious_Roy said:
I haven't bought a DS game since Mario & Luigi 3. For me the DS is as good as dead... There are some games I still wish to play, but they're all Japanese with no given English release (DQVI, SaGa2, 7th Dragon, Layton 3, 4, 5, etc).

This would mean that only the Europeans consider the DS dead, and not the rest of the world. It might indeed be a factor that caused the decline to be bigger (in the US/Japan sales dropped 12%/7%, perhaps because of this), but it does not explain a 50% drop.

hiro4

Notorious_Roy said:

But you can still buy them. So why download them?
And if you can't read them there is no reason to download them.
Your argument is as broken as it is invalid.

KAL2006

Banned
I live in the UK and all my friends have flash carts, even my university tutor has a flashcart, when I spoted his DS having a flashcart I said "hey you using a flashcart for your DS aren't you", he then smirked and changed the subject.

kswiston

richisawesome said:
Considering just how many clueless parents come into my store asking if we sell R4 cards, I'm not the least bit surprised by this news.

I remember when one customer brought a DSi and then asked for a R4 to go with it. After I said we obviously don't sell them, she started questioning how she would be able to play any games on it without one, as all her friends have R4 cards. I directed her to the DS retail section nearby, and she complained about the prices (nothing higher than £25). And then she left.

wtf

What country are you from? Unfortunately a lot of people don't think that pirating games/movies/music/etc is wrong. In their eyes, everyone is doing it, and the legalities of the internet are so befuddling to them that they often think what they are doing is perfectly legal.

The sad thing is, that in a lot of the EU countries (and Australia), stricter Pro-IP laws will see a lot of generally good people punished for piracy that they didn't even realize was a crime. What is needed is more educations. 60-minutes type programs showing the effects and consequences of piracy. Who it hurts, and the potential trouble it can get you into.

Teens and college kids will always pirate, damn the consequences. However, I think with some education initiatives, you can cut down on the number of parents buying R4's for their 8 year olds.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
walking about my local town i have yet to see a kid play a ds without a flash cart.

Rich!

Metalmurphy said:
Since when does piracy make the software sales "suddenly" drop?

Or was the DS just recently been made hackable?

It's been hacked ever since the first model back in 2004. But only recently has the availability and commonness of the flashcarts become as big as it has.

kswiston said:
What country are you from? Unfortunately a lot of people don't think that pirating games/movies/music/etc is wrong. In their eyes, everyone is doing it, and the legalities of the internet are so befuddling to them that they often think what they are doing is perfectly legal.

The £ sign should have given you the answer. :lol
England

But yeah, Agreed - every one of those customers who ask for a flashcart assume they are doing no wrong, and that it's just something you buy along with the console. I've even had quite a few utterly convinced that Nintendo support the flashcards, no matter what I said otherwise.

Sew

hiro4 said:
Notorious_Roy said:

But you can still buy them. So why download them?
And if you can't read them there is no reason to download them.
Your argument is as broken as it is invalid.
I'm not sure he said he downloaded anything... what I took from his post is that there's a general lack of quality titles being released. And I tend to agree. My DS lies dormant because I can't find another title I want to buy.

Nemesis_

lawblob said:
Oh good, another thread where GAFfers who probably pirate the shit out of games are going to furiously rage at companies who for some reason have a problem with people illegally stealing their property.

Trinest always does "import reviews" for his site for both Wii and DS games a few days before they release. So yeah. It's fairly obvious what he does.

hiro4

trinest said:
PAL regions are suspetable to longer waits for the latest gaming titles, as well as been the best place for video game publishers to rape with high prices. Especially with exchange rates been low for so long- they should be much more cheaper then what they are, I know there are other factors there- but the simple fact is people can import games cheaper or pirate- and piracy is for most an easier option.

Promotions, special editions etc. are also more around places like America or Japan, which some gamers believe that is there right- especially for the latest game (which they have waited so long for), they then wait for the price to drop- and since this generation prices are very static before dropping down in price when they finally get discontinued the crowd which goes "I'll wait for it to drop in price" never gets to buy the game, which removes sales.

Also in general quality wise, I know this effects everyone- but it seems even though PAL regions are sharfted the most, they pick up the latest gadgets and games quicker- but with the dwindling quaility, word gets around quick and they slowly stop buying from that developer or publisher or that series- again limiting sales on a game they so blindly think would do well.

Its turned into a more for less situation- and people just really don't give a crap anymore about those games which don't satisify there interests etc. anymore- instead of in the past would consider buying them. Also most gamers would me more mature older 20 - 30 instead of teenagers, so they are now buying the games instead of their parents- this means if they are short on cash they can't afford to buy a game they want, or think would be interesting- where as when they where a kid a few generations ago- they had parents back up which had more liquid assets.

With the Nintendo DS, Europe gets quite a lot of titles earlier then other regions.
For example Spirit Tracks. Even if it is just a few days.

All your other arguments sound more like stupid excuses then real arguments.
"Oh noes! this game has no special edition: now I will pirate the hell out of it"
"Oh noes! I have no money now, I blame nintendo! I will get back by pirating this game"

Gamers of all people should realize that they are ruining the industry if they are downloading games just because they cannot buy them. If you cannot buy them: WAIT! or eat less food. We all know hobbies cost money so save your money.

Also why do you need to buy every game you want? most gamers have a backlog of several titles. Play those first!

If there is one thing I agree about the Europe thing is that: games don't get a cheaper here. All the Nintendo games are still around 40 Euros in the normal shops. You've really have to know your way on the internet to get games cheaper. Parents won't go there, most of the casual Nintendo DS users won't order their games on Play.com.

I guess if Nintendo wants the piracy level to drop even by 1% they should drop the prices of their first party titles. Mario 64 DS should be 10~15 euro's by now, just so that people will buy the game.

[Nintex]

sphinx said:

but I have friends that do and it isn't a matter of doing a bad thing per se, it's a matter of software prices being too fucking high, specially outside the US.

That is the reason.

Go to any saturn here in Germany and expect to pay no less than 40 Euro for any game a gamer would give a damn for. That is prohibitely costly, specially if the market is composed of students, kids, part-time workers and NOT your blue-collar business man with 2 kids and vacations in Disney world every other year.

Specially DS games, ugh, I hate to see a €29.99 or even €39.99 price tags on DS games, I loudly say "FUCK YOU GAME DEVELOPER, RIGHT IN THE ASS" and innerly hope their damn games join Atari's ET's burial place in Arizona.

Sorry no sympathy for nintendo at all when after more than 5 freaking years, I go to my nearest Gamespot/Saturn in Germany and see MARIO 64 DS for €39.99 a pop. In fact, I hope nintendo takes the Europe problem as a lesson about how to treat costumers of all budgets. "Players' Choice" nintendo games are long overdue.

Same goes for Square Enix.
Stores run promotions all the time and less popular games are cheaper. I picked up Elite Beat Agents for €10. Compared to other systems DS is fairly cheap but most stores take advantage of the latest Mario and Pokemon releases and price them as high as €55.

Dead Man

A 50% drop in 'recent months'? All due to piracy, when the device has been hackable and easy to pirate games for since 2005? Not buying it.
lawblob said:
Oh good, another poster accusing anyone who questions PR of piracy. Nice. No one has said stealing is okay, they are just questioning the causes of the drop.

hiro4

Sew said:
I'm not sure he said he downloaded anything... what I took from his post is that there's a general lack of quality titles being released. And I tend to agree. My DS lies dormant because I can't find another title I want to buy.

Oh, I wasn't accusing him or anything.
It was part a rhetorical question.

Also, the lack of quality titles should not mean that piracy levels should go up.
If you don't have a game to play on a system, don't play on that system. Wait untill something comes that pikes your interest, by the time that title comes you have saved enough money to buy that game.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Think about it in the mothers eyes, she goes out buys her kid a DS with a flash cart = she wont have to fund 30 quid every 2 weeks for new games for the kids ds

sphinx

the piano man
[Nintex] said:
Stores run promotions all the time and less popular games are cheaper. I picked up Elite Beat Agents for €10. Compared to other systems DS is fairly cheap but most stores take advantage of the latest Mario and Pokemon releases and price them as high as €55.

The best thing I got that you can call a promotion was getting "Prince of Persia" for DS at €9.99.

Gamestop here wants to convince you that if you give them used 2 games, you can get your new game for €15... and that should be a good deal... What the fuck is that? €15 plus 2 games for a new game is no deal whatsoever.

Where I come from, you give 2 good games in credit to the store and you get a new game right there.

kswiston

sphinx said:

it's a matter of software prices being too fucking high, specially outside the US.

You know, when you account for Germany's 19% VAT, and the fact that taxes in the US/Canada are not included in our $29.99/$39.99 sticker prices, games in Europe are not all that much more than they are in the US. Probably cheaper than what I am paying in Canada, and I live about an hour from the US border.

zigg

szaromir said:

Yeah, this is my thought exactly.

Sew said:

Nobody wants to make the more-risky DS titles anymore because they'll just be pirated. Kid-licensed games and franchise updates all around!

zigg

LamerDeluxe said:
One download does not equal one sale.

neorej said:
I would like to read the study that confirms that an illegal download equals one missed sale.

You will get no argument from me here—particularly with the quoted anonymous student's reasoning for pirating in the first place—but I sincerely hope neither of you are trying to make the case that one download equals zero sales.

The real number is somewhere in-between and probably not really quantifiable—but no matter what it is, DS piracy is huge and Nintendo's right to consider it very seriously.

No one ever said gaming is a cheap hobby. That's what I tell customers who complain about Nintendo having the gall to price New Super Mario Bros Wii at $50.

Costs of games is still no excuse for piracy. If you really want the game, manage your finances to the point where you can afford to drop 30 on a DS game. Otherwise don't buy video games.

Morokh

Okay piracy sure eats some sales but it has been there for years and even for GBA...
Just take some mesures so that a 10 year old kid cant just dl and launch a game in two mouse clicks xD

now on the other hand when you take DS launch games (and especially Nintendo's) well... Still 40€. .....

The only games I can find cheaper are games from other companies or when a big local general store has some special offer to get rid of what's left of old DS games

Now take the fact that some major games take years to come here and with the recent DSI weird region lock ... I'm not surprised

Dandy

Willy105 said:
All games are overpriced. Biggest problem is that they don't lower price.
I agree, but I meant from a consumer point of view walking into a shop and seeing that you can get a brand new "real" game for just 5-10 bucks more than a DS game must have some kind of effect on buying habits.

Polk

I don't even remember last game I was looking to buy before Ace Attorney Investigations (.
And I don't see any game on the horizon worth buying in next months.

kswiston

neorej said:
I would like to read the study that confirms that an illegal download equals one missed sale.

That study will never come. In reality, I doubt 10 downloads = 1 lost sale. However, some number of downloads eventually do equal a lost sale, so ignoring the effect of piracy altogether is also not right.

Look at PSP. I know it is not exactly lighting up the charts, but 100k+ people in the US are still buying the thing every month. However, based on the few sales we get, PSP games are lucky to break 50k the month they are released. Plenty of quality titles do a lot less than that. What are people doing with the millions of units sold a year? 8GB Ipod touches are the same price as a PSP core unit and 8GB memory card, so you can't exactly argue that it makes for an attractive media player anymore.

devilru

Neo Member
ConradCervantes said:
Costs of games is still no excuse for piracy. If you really want the game, manage your finances to the point where you can afford to drop 30 on a DS game. Otherwise don't buy video games.

Pirates: "Done"

Top Bottom