• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS production stops

Owned a phattie. Metroid Prime Pinball fans where you at?

I mostly enjoyed that and the Castlevania games. I was never too hot on the screen quality or build quality, so I probably spent more time with PSP.

I remember owning Nintendogs and Matt Casamassina visiting my Animal Crossing town and getting bored pretty quickly.

I had a Nintendo wifi dongle. Living large.

PKrockin

I still shake my head when I see people saying they "don't play portables." I don't play portables either, i play games, and DS alone has a metric shit-ton.

theaface

Ridiculous amount of fantastic, original titles on the DS. Had some of my most enjoyable gaming experiences with the likes of Trauma Centre, Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright (I know it was originally GBA, but perfect for DS), Soul Bubbles and many many more.

web01

A little disappointing they are cutting production this early considering it still sells well.
Guess they really want to push people towards the 3DS.

Artemisia

Banned
R.I.P. the best portable console there ever was.

28alt1wdwu7p.gif

I wanted it to clock the PS2 sales so badly, is there any chance it might?

Madness

Beat handheld ever? Debatable... But it was a hell of a system.

I still prefer the game boy and it's upgraded variants as the pinnacle of handheld Nintendo gaming.

vall03

This is unexpected. I was hoping they would continue for at least one more year. Fucking loved my DS years ago when everyone around me was ogling the PSP. Only bought a DS for Pokemon but ended up having way more games that cater to my taste than I expected. My best console last gen.

I also remember hoping to reach 100+ DS games, but I stopped when I was around 80+ and had to sell them.

Ragus

Banned
A handheld which has changed the industry. You will always have a place in my heart.

RIP you magnificent bastard. Saying that I've spend hundreds of hours playing DS games would not be enough.

Seik

Banned
Welp, it was great, I rocked so many hours on my DSlite it's not even funny.

Great system, awesome game library, tons of stuff that will live on for years and years. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah...and Nintendo's last steps into the region-free territory. :(

Teppic

Damn. I really want to buy a new one, just can't afford it. Hope they stay around a little while longer, 3DS sucks for DS games.

No one believed in it, right until it turned around and gave the industry a bloody great black eye.

The finest portable that ever was and will ever be.

watershed

Banned
Its too bad Nintendo can't keep two handhelds on the market at the same time. The ds could stay a cash cow if they could leave it as a super low price handheld. But now with production stopping they should put ds games on the eshop.

Spwn

One of the best video game consoles ever, period. I have 40 awesome games for the system and still don't think I have all the greatest ones.

VinLAURiA

Banned
I tend not to follow GAF fads, but the first post indeed nailed it. Exactly what I was going to post.

*salute* Farewell, Nitro.

I haven't always been the greatest fan of its hardware, but I can't possibly argue with its library and ability to GBA games. It came out at a time where I was starting to lose interest in video games and it rekindled the flame. It became the system where I own the most games for.

So yeah.. <MGS3_salute.png>

NaviLink

I've read the whole PDF and I don't see what indicates the DS production is stopping. Am I missing something? Maybe it's in another document?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Level-5 and Nintendo DS gave us Professor Layton, some of the greatest games of all time. Will send a box of respect to... well, someone. May the production rest in peace.

Usobuko

Banned
Great platform, despite only a handful of games taking advantage the dual-screen and stylus controls perfectly. I have 24 games on DS, guess I'm the minority.

PS2 was 155m I believe.

begs the OT question, could a system exceed that mark today?

Would be pretty tough imo in todays environment. More competition for one, no dominant player.

still, markets grow. i would say someday it will happen despite reports of the console markets demise. hell ps360 (which are basically the same system in different shells) will end up shipping like 200m between them.

Tookay

Its too bad Nintendo can't keep two handhelds on the market at the same time. The ds could stay a cash cow if they could leave it as a super low price handheld. But now with production stopping they should put ds games on the eshop.

Can't be a cashcow when any lower price on it would eat into profit margins, not to mention cannibalize the sales of its future successor.

this sounds nice but it's never happened that a manufacturer has had two vibrant consoles or handhelds at the same time. so why expect it now?

i mean even the ps2 was clearly on its way out when ps3 arrived.

Vashetti

Banned
Can't believe this. Unsure what to do now... do I seek out a replacement DS Lite/DSi XL, or is the 3DS XL's DS capabilities acceptable now?

At least there are still great new titles coming out for the system to look forward to....

North America
04/23 Puzzler Brain Games
04/23 Puzzler World 2013
07/16 Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
07/23 The Smurfs 2
08/06 Disney Planes

Nintendo_seal_of_quality.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can't believe this. Unsure what to do now... do I seek out a replacement DS Lite/DSi XL, or is the 3DS XL's DS capabilities acceptable now?
As long as the screens are asymmetrical and don't fit a fullsize even scale of the DS resolution, no 3DS will be acceptable.

Hasney

Still got my phat. It survived sandboarding in my pocket which managed to kill my digital camera and N-GAGE (SHUT UP) as well as a load of other drops all from a Japanese launch day model.

Fare thee well, sweet prince.

Top Bottom