• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DSi LL: Old People Edition

Fusebox

Banned
jlevel13 said:
The only problem I'm having with my XL is I don't think I could go back to playing on a smaller handheld again.

Some negatives after a few months of owning my LL:

My stylus (the one that slides into the console) started getting loose even though I wasn't putting it out/in much and now it's gone. Must have fallen out somewhere. :(

Goddamn the screen scratches easy. Can't they use the same screen material Apple uses for their iPhone? :(

When I bump it too hard or close the lid too hard mine powers off. :(

Everything else is still awesome though. :D

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I upgraded to one of these from my DS Lite and enjoyed it for a couple weeks, but then picking up my friend's DSLite and playing for awhile made me realize how much sharper the smaller screens really are. I also realized how much more I prefer holding a smaller system, in terms of weight balance and grip. I ended up buying a DSi and now I can once again fit my handheld in my pocket.

I'm not saying the XL is bad by any means, but I realized that I had taken the screens and mobility of past DS systems for granted.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Crazymoogle said:
It's not bad. I call it my "DS mini" now. It's like using a GB Micro. :lol
The difference isn't nearly as pronounced as when you jump from the XL back to the Micro. The screen is so tiny...

GBA Micro:-- 2"
DS Lite:------------- 3"
DSi:------------------- 3.25"
DSi XL:------------------------- 4.2"

I still love the Micro though. It's the only way I can play GBA games since I upgraded my Lite to the XL. And probably the best too.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
No scratches yet, but I'm collecting lots of dust. It's always been the biggest brawback to the DS experience, since the touch screen is contoured with a raised frame, making it hard to simply swipe off. It's worth the hassle though.

Zing said:
Given all the reports of cracked hinges on the DS Lite, I wonder if the extra weight of the top screen has been accounted for this time around.

I think the crack hinges was because of the badly design hinge rod that slip inside the plastic casing. I took my daughter lite apart and replace the case and I can see why the hinge casing would crack.

And yeah, the screen really collect a lot of dust particles ... iphone probably have the best screen of all my portable devices. My really main gripe with XL is the gloossy top.

RobbieNick

I caved in and upgraded my DSi (yes, i) To the XL. I thought I was being foolish to do so, but couldn't resist the urge. Plus, I got my Tax money in and a large paycheck. One minute in, and all my regrets are gone!!

The huge, huge screen makes all the difference. I noticed when playing platform that my eyes started to notice more of the details in the background. The screen just evelops you and puts you more into the game. Also, I think the second resting spot on the screen is sweet. When I play at work, the glare from the lights sometimes interferes. Having the screen tipped just halfway instead of lying further back lets me play games like Ace Attorney without worrying about glare.

Worth the upgrade for me. Even if all I get is a larger screen.

Fusebox

Banned
Quick q guys, is the internal stylus in the DSi LL exactly the same as the stylus for the regular DSi? I want to buy some replacements. Tia.

Bear

Nope, it's slightly longer (96 mm vs 92 mm).

RobbieNick said:
I caved in and upgraded my DSi (yes, i) To the XL. I thought I was being foolish to do so, but couldn't resist the urge. Plus, I got my Tax money in and a large paycheck. One minute in, and all my regrets are gone!!

The huge, huge screen makes all the difference. I noticed when playing platform that my eyes started to notice more of the details in the background. The screen just evelops you and puts you more into the game. Also, I think the second resting spot on the screen is sweet. When I play at work, the glare from the lights sometimes interferes. Having the screen tipped just halfway instead of lying further back lets me play games like Ace Attorney without worrying about glare.

Worth the upgrade for me. Even if all I get is a larger screen.

They are some sexy screens. The new speakers are nice too, I was really surprised by the improvement in sound quality.

I upgraded from a (busted) DS Lite and I'm really enjoying it so far. Kind of big, but as long as it fits in my pockets I don't really mind. Not a bad trade-off for the huge screens.

Fusebox

Banned
I know, I've had my LL so long that the internal stylus got loose and fell out. I use the big stylus more but it's nice to have the internal one handy for when I need it.

edit - Just ordered a few replacements off eBay for cheap. :)

HooCares

Neo Member
Just upgraded my Lite to an XL and am really pumped. After a long DS hiatus my travel will be picking up again and I look forward to playing a lot more. I absolutely loved my Lite but could never put more than an hour or two into any game before getting fatigued and having to put it down. Perhaps a combo of screen size + hand cramps? Can't put my finger on it.

Not opening up this XL until my HORI screen protectors arrive from Amazon.

I really liked the previous posts w/pics of the new cases - Thanks GAF. I think I will pickup the PDP foldout case.

And now for a couple new games - think I will get Devil Survivor and Infinite Space.

Emotions

I absolutely love my DSI XL... It made me rediscover my DS library... The speakers are quite an improvement and the big screens look gorgeous.....

HooCares

Neo Member
jooey said:
just play the damn thing.

But I'm OCD/Anal. :(

As it happens I'm so busy between now and next week that even when they arrive it'll probably be a few days before I can fire it up. Red Dead Redemption will also occupy me.

larvi

Finally broke down and ordered one. Bing has a 15% cash back offer for Overstock.com, figured thats about the best deal I'm going to be able to find for some time.

Fusebox

Banned
Zing said:
You were getting fatigued and hand cramps on the Lite, so you decided to buy an even larger DS?

Hand cramps on the Lite are because it's so small. Bigger console means less hand-cramps.

larvi

Got mine a couple of days ago and definitely liking it and can see myself playing my DS games a lot more again. I was having trouble reading the text of some of the game on the DSL with my contacts in but it's much better on the XL. Games that I could never enjoy such as Civ Rev I can finally play. The only problem is the size may be prohibitive to take with me in my pocket as I did with my DSL all the time.

Does anyone know where I can get a neoprene sleeve for the XL? This is what I got for my DSL and love it and want something similar to protect the XL:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2377
I didn't see where DX carries one for the XL/LL

I bought one yesterday, its really quite wonderful. Though I'm playing Pokeymans and it tells me I need to use a DS Lite to transfer old Pokedex. OH GREAT. Apart from that, DSi XL is the definitive model for me. Perfect for my giant ogre hands and giant screen is good to illuminate my gorgeous, gorgeous face.

Turnstyle

This is probably a really stupid question, and I'm sure the answer is no, but...

Can you watch movies on a DSi, WITHOUT an R4 card or similar accessory?

zoukka

I found the Mario Special edition for 99 euros and couldn't resist.

First of all. It's fucking huge. It's not a portable machine like lite is, but for home use it looks and feels fucking amazing. The build quality kills all other handhelds I've ever tried. The finish feels glorious to skin... dunno if the bottom side is special to this Mario model?

Screens are huge and the DS resolution is so low :D But it doesn't matter with all the awesome sprite based games.

Very impressed by this machine.

Mitama

I upgraded to one of these from my DS Lite and enjoyed it for a couple weeks, but then picking up my friend's DSLite and playing for awhile made me realize how much sharper the smaller screens really are. I also realized how much more I prefer holding a smaller system, in terms of weight balance and grip. I ended up buying a DSi and now I can once again fit my handheld in my pocket.

I'm not saying the XL is bad by any means, but I realized that I had taken the screens and mobility of past DS systems for granted.

Same here, after all the positive impressions on GAF, I caved in about a year ago and bought one. Kept telling myself the larger screen was nice but if I'm really honest, I much prefer my DS Lite. It's crazy how much better games look on the Lite's smaller screen, it's just perfect in my opinion. I've seen many people comment that they didn't find it pixelated but to me it's very noticeable and hurts the image quality.. I also agree on the DS Lite being far more comfortable to hold. While I can hold the DSi XL just fine, it feels a lot heavier than the Lite. Only handheld purchase to ever disappoint me, and I love my handhelds. :(

Top Bottom