• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2014 - discussion thread for their E3 plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
ge5d.png

Hello again, fellow GAFers!

After my rumor thread was closed rightfully, I will now deliver the perfect thread for your Nintendo E3 discussions.

This thread is all around questions like : How will Nintendo handle the E3 Digital Event? How many new and old IPs will they announce? What's up with Nintendo Treehouse? Will they focus on their fans or on the casuals? Will the most of the fanbase end up disappointed or satisfied? How great will be Zelda U? How can they get back lost fans? Will they gather to a more "mature" audience or will they casualize their franchises? What are your expections? For these and much more questions, this thread is a perfect fit for you.

I will begin with my reactions to E3:

0. Case: Only new games are eShop titles and a 2D Platformer, no Zelda U, just announced stuff= End up VERY disappointed

1. Case: The announced stuff + Zelda U (I don't like the direction) = End up disappointed

2. Case: announced stuff + Zelda U (I like the direction) = End up slightly satisfied

3. Case: announced stuff+ Zelda U + 3D Metroid for Wii U = Satisfied

4. Case: announced stuff + Zelda U + 3D Metroid + new IP( I like) + F-Zero = Fully satisfied, Nintendo rocks!

5. Case: announced stuff+ Zelda U+ 3D Metroid + new IP² + F-Zero + Starfox+ big surprise = MINDBLOW Nintendo destroyed everything!!

That would be my reaction to E3.

Hopefully it will be a great discussion thread for everything around Nintendo E3 2014!

t1402416000z4.png
Bob-omb_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_Bros._2.png

Actual Hype Train Image (will update it every day once!)

Hype Train 1

uWp5wP3.png

Hype Train 2

HypeTrain2_zpsb12195b7.jpg

Why are there two Hype Trains you asking? Because one is not enough to obtain the hype this year...

and if one's crashing the other train will survive... I hope!

takriel

Zelda U announced with a badass trailer and ready gameplay demo = wholly satisfied. Everything else is extra.

You are persistent!!

Regarding myself, the new Zelda reveal and X coming in 2014 in Europe would leave me totally satisfied!

If I were to experience Metroid in any form, I would probably name this E3 the bestest.. of all!

Zelda U announced with a badass trailer and ready gameplay demo = wholly satisfied. Everything else is extra.

I really hope they present Zelda U the right way. Skyward Sword was just catastrophal, no epic story trailer just motion controls gimmick and a disturbed presentation of the motion controls. They should really do something like Twilight Princess!

Amir0x

Banned
I just desperately want them to showcase new IPs and gameplay ideas. I'm so dreadfully tired of yet another genre with Mario in it or Samus in it or Donkey Kong in it or Link in it. I just want them to shoot for the stars, brand new bold IPs with big budgets and big marketing pushes. They've got nothing really to lose.

I will hold onto X and Bayonetta 2 like a mantra, but I am really looking to see if Nintendo has any intention of stopping their flush toward irrelevancy. They need to stop pandering to people who think five million games with Mario in it constitutes an acceptable lineup, because it's stifling their growth now.

nikatapi

If they announce a Metroid game for either WiiU or 3DS i will be satisfied. Also, a second 3D Mario game for the 3DS would be great, although i'm sure many people would be like "no more Mario".

I'm expecting Majora's Mask remake, some more X info and maybe a release date.
It would be great to see a new IP for the WiiU, focusing on good graphics and online gameplay, something like a TPS or a FPS with Nintendo personality.

Zalman

I'm cautiously optimistic about Nintendo this year since they haven't announced a retail game for Wii U since Hyrule Warriors. That was in December. They should have some things up their sleeve.

takriel

I really hope they present Zelda U the right way. Skyward Sword was just catastrophal, no epic story trailer just motion controls gimmick and a disturbed presentation of the motion controls. They should really do something like Twilight Princess!

I fully agree with you. Bring back the epicness of a Zelda reveal! No more half-baked reveals like Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds!

I'm cautiously optimistic about Nintendo this year since they haven't announced a retail game for Wii U since Hyrule Warriors. That was in December. They should have some things up their sleeve.

Yes absolutey! Nintendo also changed with the Tomodachi Direct it really seems like they would now listen more the fans. The Fils A Mach video was amazing!

If Nintendo wants the Wii U to survive, they have to deliver this year, no question.

Not live, so it's automatically not gonna be on par with TP.

Is that confirmed? Digital Event could mean everything, also a live stream

Sandfox

I just desperately want them to showcase new IPs and gameplay ideas. I'm so dreadfully tired of yet another genre with Mario in it or Samus in it or Donkey Kong in it or Link in it. I just want them to shoot for the stars, brand new bold IPs with big budgets and big marketing pushes. They've got nothing really to lose.

I will hold onto X and Bayonetta 2 like a mantra, but I am really looking to see if Nintendo has any intention of stopping their flush toward irrelevancy. They need to stop pandering to people who think five million games with Mario in it constitutes an acceptable lineup, because it's stifling their growth now.

On the Wii U?

It's not gonna be live, so it's automatically not gonna be on par with TP.

E3 is press only now so you wouldn't get that kind of crowd reaction either way.

Amir0x

Banned
Yes absolutey! Nintendo also changed with the Tomodachi Direct it really seems like they would now listen more the fans. The Fils A Mach video was amazing!

If Nintendo wants the Wii U to survive, they have to deliver this year, no question.

I think unless Nintendo is really disconnected from reality, they're probably already internally focusing on how to change the game with their new hardware. Probably more focused on trying to give the Wii U a good send off for those of us who invested in it, because there's really no way to turn that sinking ship around. No amount of Smash Bros. and Mario karts could do it, really. It had 2D mario, 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, a slew of casual things, people just don't want the system unfortunately.

Sandfox said:
On the Wii U?

Wii U probably has no chance to do anything at this point, but I think they should at least throw those of us who have a Wii U a bone with a big test bed game of some sort. At least one more real big budget game that is non-traditional to Nintendo.

takriel

It's not gonna be live, so it's automatically not gonna be on par with TP.

I don't even mind that. I just don't want a bland trailer showcasing some new gameplay mechanics in a demo location without any story, characters etc. The reveal trailer needs to have a bit of everything, and should ideally already have the new main theme as music.

Kurt

Well i hope zelda is the right direction.
If that's the case, i'm happy.

I would like to see a new metroid game of course.
Hopefull, they will show a new teaser of the new 3d mario game.
But i don't think they do because it isn't decided which platform it's going to be on.

KaneU

I am the most curious about what will they have for 3DS this holiday season...

Majora's Mask remake or a side-scrolling Metroid game are my only guesses...

Litri

I bet Hyrule Warriors will be playable and a proper trailer wil be shown. Also, finally Bayonetta 1 is announced... I have been begging for this one for almost a year.

If Aonuma said more info about Zelda U would be released at E3 I don't have ant reason to not believe him. That said, I can only think about a trailer, doubt it will be playable.

D_prOdigy

I think it will be about on a par with last year in terms of quality of content, which was perhaps one of the weaker shows not because of the games themselves, but because most of them were already announced previously. Think Retro's DKC5 was the only new Wii U 'reveal'.

Have at least broadly the same range and diversity of games this year and I'll come away relatively happy.

I am the most curious about what will they have for 3DS this holiday season...

Majora's Mask remake or a side-scrolling Metroid game are my only guesses...

Yeah, me too. I'm getting a little worried now that April didn't have a real Direct and the last major 3DS titles have now been released already. I'm hoping they are waiting for E3 because of a proper revision or something. I was also thinking 2D Metroid until Sakamoto kinda denied it, but I'd also love a new Wario Land.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I genuinely don't know what Nintendo could show that would excite me at this point, I've become very pessimistic towards their conferences.

That being said, new IPs are always good, and I'd love another 3D Metroid, I just severely doubt it exists.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The quality of Zelda U will effect my livelihood for the next 4 years, so if the Zelda reveal is incredible, I literally won't care what else Nintendo does.

rokero

I would like Nintendo to do a high quality Direct on a nicely done set everyone knows the Zelda reveal is coming so it would be awesome if they would show the trailer from the Nintendo world store.

What content I'm expecting

Zelda U
New X trailer
Bayonetta 2
Yarn Yoshi
Hyrule Warriors
Smash bros
Indie sizzle reel
Pokemon Z
New Miyamoto ip
3DS price cut on Xl and og models
DQ VII
Metroid WiiU by Retro Studios
Metroid 3DS(old school 2D game in the vein of LBW)

And that's it,

L Thammy

Third-party partnerships could be some of the most exciting things Nintendo could produce. I'm specifically talking things in the vein of Hyrule Warriors, Fatal Frame V, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, etc. I also don't think it's completely implausible that Nintendo localizes third party games to fill out their schedule.

cloudyy

I just want great games. Doesn't matter if it features Mario or Tingle. Also, bring DQ7 and DQM to the west pls.

Kurt

Don't think a new metroid game will be shown. It's sad, but yeah.
Retro already confirmed that they working on new title which isn't metroid.

Griss

How will Nintendo handle the E3 Digital Event?
I imagine it'll be a typical direct interspersed with footage from the E3 show floor to make you feel like you're there and to reinforce that Nintendo actually IS at E3.

How many new and old IPs will they announce?
I don't expect any new IP, and I'm not sure we'll get any new announcements of new 'old IP' games. We still have a lot of announced Wii U games in the pipeline.

What's up with Nintendo Treehouse?
They're awesome, that's what's up.

Will they focus on their fans or on the casuals?
I imagine that they'll focus on their fans, because QoL is their big casual plan and it won't be there; because that's the only audience they captured on the Wii U and because it's the most appropriate audience to speak to at E3.

Will the most of the fanbase end up disappointed or satisfied?
Disappointed because they always overhype it, but also Nintendo won't have surprises this year.

How great will be Zelda U?
Not sure, but people will lose their minds at the reveal anyway due to the thirst. Really hoping they push Zelda on in terms of complexity. Skyrim shows that complicated games can have mass-market, breakout appeal. I don't want Zelda to be anything like Skyrim but a bit of extra complexity (like difficulty levels, god damn it!) wouldn't hurt.

How can they get back lost fans?
By making new versions of classic old franchises like F-Zero, Star Fox and Metroid. (They won't do this, btw)

Will they gather to a more "mature" audience or will they casualize their franchises?
Nintendo software will always be accessible, and will never go the 'mature' route. I do wish they would accept that some of their IP (like Metroid) is hardcore-only and design it accordingly. I don't think they will.

What are your expections?
For Wii U: Zelda U, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, X and Yarn Yoshi are my major expectations. Anything beyond that and I'll be surprised. If any of those are missing I'll be pissed, super pissed.
For 3DS: I can see a surprise or two here because the 3DS doesn't have a lot announced and they need games for xmas 2014. Majora's Mask should be a shoe-in, and I have a feeling that if we see a new Metroid this is where it'll be. I'd love to see a new 3DS revision but Nintendo seemed pretty definitive about that. My huge hope would be a new 3DS Advance Wars, but again, I'm not banking on it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm really interested to see how hard they'll double down on their digital/DLC content. Their historical apprehension for progressive, modern services/content has done a 180 in recent times, at least in this field, thanks to wetting their feet and finding out the water is quite warm.

Years of playing PC games have me appreciative of what expansion packs/DLC can bring to software in order to ensure longevity and fresh appeal without resorting to annual/bi-annual releases. A lot of good can be done. And the games that benefit most from this content are those that aren't dependant on narrative or money/time heavy presentation.

Ironically, given said apprehension, this fits a lot of Nintendo franchises like a glove. I may not have a whole lot of interest in DLC for Metroid or Zelda (not that it's impossible though), but the likes of Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros., Super Smash Bros. and so on have the framework that would benefit tremendously from being treated as an evolving product. Give me new characters and courses. Stages and challenges.

Hoping this kind of stuff is discussed at E3, and discussed right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom