• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg this is too funny. What the heck is going on? Wasn't there a thread that said Nintendo was going to have a ton of games or something or was that for next year?

TheJoRu

People were saying the same about Wii in it's twilight years. No Wii games post-2010 because they were working on Wii U titles.

They weren't working on Wii U games, they were mostly working on 3DS. This time NX will be a platform that engulfs Nintendo's full dedicated hardware business; thus all software development for future platforms is dedicated to NX instead of two separate platforms. This is not 2010, and Nintendo of 2016 internally is not the Nintendo of 2010, so please stop using history to determine how things will turn out, because especially in the case of Nintendo you tend to fall flat on your face in the end. It has happened to me.

I don't expect this flood of software some people are, but I expect it to be sufficient, as in "hardly amazing, but not even close to a drought and a big improvement from previous Nintendo platforms". There are strategies and very obvious changes to the internal structure of NIntendo to suggest they are gearing up to strenghten the output of Nintendo software. The big change is to not separate console and handheld into two very different platforms (no, I'm not saying hybrid, I'm saying "platform" like iOS and console and handheld as devices within that platform).

Velcro Fly

m.i.s.

Banned
That they are launching late and skipping 2016 because they don't want droughts, so basically they are indeed hoarding games for the NX.

what Nintendo does and what Nintendo says, I've found, are two separate things. I've heard it all before.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

Since Zelda was a given, this is like literally the worst thing that could've happened at this year's E3. Like, the worst case scenario beyond anyone's nightmares. And apparently the top brass at Nintendo is all like, "I feel like this is a great direction to go this year"

It's maybe bad but I think you exaggerate a little bit.

When the Nintendo event is later announced this year, no one will talk about the E3 anymore.
Should Nintendo show more than Zelda at E3? Of course! But will it hurt sales of the NX or anything like that because we don't get a look at their new console? No.

I'll be going to this. Just got the email.

MKAOrlI.png

wait so you can PLAY the new Zelda game that's been years in the making but there WON'T be a trailer of the 3ds port of a dragon quest game that came out decades ago?! wow, rip nintendo.

FWIW there's a dragon quest convention happening in Europe later this month, so I'm sure we will get new info on that game.

E3 isnt that important at all. Nintendo doesnt need it lol.

They can make a NX event later that year and have all the news reportings for themselves.

While I won't agree that E3 isn't important, I will say that the second half of your statement is quite true.

Nintendo can put out a SpaceWorld type show if they feel the need to have a major press presence, or can just do a Direct followed by Treehouse Live when they're ready and everybody will be talking about them and only them.

I'm not sure if it's the right move, but it's not the end of the world like I initially thought.

Hopefully they'll have a lot to show with Zelda without giving it all away, and it'll still be fun to watch.

what Nintendo does and what Nintendo says, I've found, are two separate things. I've heard it all before.

Yep, 99% chance that their NX launch window is also barren, except for a couple of select games(one of which is Zelda, also coming out on Wii U).

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
they tweeted out a picture showing RPGs coming to Nintendo systems this year. DQ7 had the generic "2016" tag and DQVIII was nowhere to be seen :(

Yeah I think it's later than the initial early Summer time frame they gave in the November Direct, but they're still acknowledging it as an RPG releasing this year.

As for the unacknowledged VIII, it'd be very unlike Nintendo to cancel a publishing partnership with Square Enix for a Western release just because it's late. The Western version of Final Fantasy VI Advance on GBA, technically published by Nintendo outside Japan was as late as 2007 and was a good 2 1/2 years after the DS launched in North America, as well as being the only first-party published (though obviously the game belongs to SE) release that year. February 2017 would not be out of the question for VIII, it makes more sense than them cancelling it, and if there's one thing Nintendo rarely does, it's cancel promised games outright.

And just so you worry even less about VIII not coming at all, Kimishima just nane dropped it in the investor's slides.

This slide shows announced 3DS titles launching in the American and European markets in April 2016 or later, including titles planned for future release. As in Japan, there are many more titles planned for future release, and other unannounced titles that are currently in development.

And BECAUSE all of your quoted stuff happend they changed a lot at Nintendo. They knew they fucked up and they lost a lot of money so they changed the intern structures of the company.
The NX should sgow us the first results of these changes. I said it here once and I say it again: if we see software problems again, then Nintendo did ecerything wrong in the last 3 years but I doubt it and just hope that there are a lot of clever people ibside that company that get the things back on track.
Nintendo 2016 will be completly different from the Nintendo 2017.

Rösti;202745055 said:
Excellent. Thanks for the notice.

I assume that won't see any broadcast (it hasn't for as long as I can remember), but could still be thread worthy.

It won't be broadcast for sure. This is a buyers presentation.

Not

Banned
There was going to be a potential press conference for the first time in four years. There were going to be new games. This was going to be one of Nintendo's best E3s of all time.

And now look.

You know what I bet? I bet The NX comes out and the launch is full of ports, while new Mario and Kart and Donkey Kong and Pikmin games are "promised" to come soon afterward to fill the gap, but they're delayed until the following year and it's another repeat of the Wii U's drought. "It's fucking nothing" 2.0.

Making this whole "nothing to show" at E3 2016 happen for absolutely no reason. Just because Nintendo made a terrible console after having no idea why the Wii worked and were thus utterly and humiliatingly unprepared for HD game development.

Do they realize they're singlehandedly doing all they can to kill the hype for one of their MOST HYPED GAMES OF ALL TIME? I mean what the shit.

FIRE EVERYONE

Know what, imagine Nintendo showing up at 9am on June 14th and being like "Get ready for three days of Zelda stuff only...SIKE! You fell for it didn't you? NX out after the show baby, roll the trailers Bill"

Amikami

Banned
I haven't followed the thread, but I kinda thought we already knew this. Were we expecting a direct if all they have is Zelda? Serious question? I kinda assumed this. Burns to see it none-the-less.

Toxi

Banned
I haven't followed the thread, but I kinda thought we already knew this. Were we expecting a direct if all they have is Zelda? Serious question? I kinda assumed this. Burns to see it none-the-less.
Previously we just knew Zelda was the only game on the E3 show floor. This didn't rule out a direct showing off other games.

Now we know there is nothing besides watching Zelda treehouse.

FyreWulff

Is it kind of "why you should stock X, Y and Z" kind of thing?

E3 is more than the show floor. It's also where companies meet behind closed doors or at hotels or go out to dinner together and sign deals, purchase lots, buy in to games, etc. Like people don't think about it much but games can live or die on if Gamestop and Wal Mart and Target and Best Buy want to carry them, all the big box stores have a sort of concept approval on any game that comes out at retail. And it's one of the times all the execs are all together.

So while Nintendo may only have Zelda on the floor for the press they'll definitely be showing NX and talking contracts, retail buy ins, etc behind closed doors somewhere with publishers and retailers.

m.i.s.

Banned
They weren't working on Wii U games, they were mostly working on 3DS. This time NX will be a platform that engulfs Nintendo's full dedicated hardware business; thus all software development for future platforms is dedicated to NX instead of two separate platforms. This is not 2010, and Nintendo of 2016 internally is not the Nintendo of 2010, so please stop using history to determine how things will turn out, because especially in the case of Nintendo you tend to fall flat on your face in the end. It has happened to me.

I don't expect this flood of software some people are, but I expect it to be sufficient, as in "hardly amazing, but not even close to a drought and a big improvement from previous Nintendo platforms". There are strategies and very obvious changes to the internal structure of NIntendo to suggest they are gearing up to strenghten the output of Nintendo software. The big change is to not separate console and handheld into two very different platforms (no, I'm not saying hybrid, I'm saying "platform" like iOS and console and handheld as devices within that platform).

Yes, I understand the unification of their ecosystem so that a single piece of software will be playable on a variety of form factors [handheld and tv console].

I'll look for the sources if I have time, but Nintendo faced multiple challenges in the transition from DS to 3DS and Wii to Wii U. Nintendo were working on both 3DS and Wii U titles at the same time at various points and underestimated the transition to both. Particularly, the transition from SD to HD. When they had numerous examples of the transition faced by others and failed to plan accordingly.

It's true that e3 draws a lot of eyes to it, but there are several game trade shows throughout the year, which are starting to get bigger. Gamescom is a good example. E3 is not the be all, end all show it used to be. Add in the fact that nintendo gives us info throughout the year via nintendo direct, and it's clear that they really don't depend on e3 all that much

It's also clear that their recent marketing strategies have been a complete failure. If E3 ,,isn't important at all", why aren't Sony/MS dropping out? Is it coincidence that the market leader also has a hall of journalists getting super excited yearly ever since their new platform launch? Why isn't the WiiU successful if Directs are such an amazing communcation tool? Nintendo's mindshare and public reception right now is complete shit and this basically adds fuel to the fire. E3 isn't losing importance, it's Nintendo that does.

No, it's an overview of the planned retail calender from Nintendo through 2016 and early 2017. There will probably be no detailed talk of NX. All the buyers attend and various Nintendo executives take turns going over different pillars. Finally, we get fed (usually breakfast burritos).

-Horizon-

Previously we just knew Zelda was the only game on the E3 show floor. This didn't rule out a direct showing off other games.

But what will they show for the last two days? Reruns of the first day?

Ridley327

Rösti;202745055 said:
Excellent. Thanks for the notice.

I assume that won't see any broadcast (it hasn't for as long as I can remember), but could still be thread worthy.

IIRC, the ones they've done in the DE era have basically had the same content as the DE, but they go more into marketing strategies that go into ad dollar support and other such boring details. They're live presentation, but I'm not sure how many message board users would go for details on the marketing duration for something like Kirby: Planet Robobot.

Pretty much, yeah. It's basically their showcase to try and nab in-store promotions and to forge retail partnerships on key titles. That's how you wind up with stuff like that ORAS two-pack that Best Buy carried.

jerry5278

Neo Member

This doesn't really bother me, though. I own other consoles, so I have plenty of stuff to play. I do empathize with those who only own a wii u or a 3ds, though. I can understand people being disappointed then. But continuing to whine and cry about it isn't go to solve anything. We know nx is coming. We know games are coming for it. And we know it at least has some 3rd party support. It's not all doom and gloom

IIRC, the ones they've done in the DE era have basically had the same content as the DE, but they go more into marketing strategies that go into ad dollar support and other such boring details. They're live presentation, but I'm not sure how many message board users would go for details on the marketing duration for something like Kirby: Planet Robobot.

Exactly this.

KAP151

And they want to sell 800K Wiiu's in their last forecast?

Yeah. Good luck with that. Im sure retailers are just falling over themselves dedicating time/space/money to a deader than dead platform with nothing for the remainder of the year.

Yep, 99% chance that their NX launch window is also barren, except for a couple of select games(one of which is Zelda, also coming out on Wii U).

God I hope you are so wrong on that. What are you basing that on exactly anyway? Why already jump to conclusions like that? I mean if Nintendo yet again does not have the majority of third party support.... why even bother? It'll be a Wii U situation all over again.

But that's the reason I just can't get excited about a NX event whenever that is this year. We've had tons of rumours, fake photos, and utter bullshit and nothing concrete. We've no idea if they have the third parties again which is of course quite important for them, we don't know about the specs, we don't know about any first party games.... hell we don't even know exactly what this brand new concept is that they mentioned. It would be disastrous if the thing turns out to be severely underpowered and just a big let down. From now on I'll just have zero expectations. They managed to announce one of their worst E3 plans ever, something nobody ever expected to happen.

We'll see.

Not

Banned
Heh. What there going to spoil half of the game?

This too. This is what I mean by killing hype.

Nothing for 2 years. Then everything all at once? At least 9 months before it comes out? Just because, thanks to their own ineptitude, they have nothing else?

I'd rather they went radio silent all of E3, TBH, rather than revealing all of Zelda to try to save face. This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever witnessed. What a great cap to Nintendo's Darkest Years.

But.. they're at E3.

They are at E3 at the same level as a small indy developer who has 1 game to show. Nintendo is still much more than a small indy dev, but they are acting like they are a start-up with limited funds.

This too. This is what I mean by killing hype.

Nothing for 2 years. Then everything all at once? At least 9 months before it comes out? Just because, thanks to their own ineptitude, they have nothing else?

I'd rather they went radio silent all of E3, TBH, rather than revealing all of Zelda to try to save face. This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever witnessed. What a great cap to Nintendo's Darkest Years.

E3 Day 1:

Welcome To Nintendo Treehouse. Today we will show you the new Zelda. -Reggie

1hour later

Well, that concludes the demo portion because we don't want to get too much further into the game. How much time do we have left at E3? 71 hours? Well, shit. Let's play that demo 20 more times.

It's as if people in this thread just up and forgot the Wii's waning years when everyone said "don't worry, guys, they're not releasing anything because they're REALLY preparing for the WiiU and will make a big splash!"

Rule #1 of Nintendo: Never assume they're preparing for a "big splash" if they go a long time before revealing shit. Most of the time they're just behind on their shit, doesn't mean when they do reveal it it'll be all the better for it.

Ridley327

Ah, makes sense.

A lot of people forget that E3 is still primarily a trade show for the gaming industry, so while people at home are being dazzled by whatever announcement comes out of a company, the real story is how the company is trying to sell it to retailers and, if at all possible, try to secure a big presence for it once it's ready to hit the market. This is why a lot of earlier press conferences put a big emphasis on numbers, because those were just as much for the retailers as they were for the gaming press.

When you think about it on those terms, it helps to explain stuff like MS in 2010, where they had to communicate what Kinect was as much as they had to. It's absolutely terrible for anyone not into motion gaming, but having presentations play out like that look really, really good for a retailer, which is why MS was able to secure so much floor space for the launch.

mantidor

Nintendo has never, ever had an E3 presence where all they have to show is one fucking game. This is unprecedented ludicrousness beyond measure.

The Wii U absolutely fuckin' broke Nintendo.

Lol this is kind of hyperbolic.

Nintendo skipping E3 is more like them thinking E3 is not relevant or important. We can't really tell right now if they are right or wrong though. Come the launch of the NX we are absolutely going to get directs and impressions, who knows how much harm skipping E3 will really do to that.

God I hope you are so wrong on that. What are you basing that on exactly anyway? Why already jump to conclusions like that? I mean if Nintendo yet again does not have the majority of third party support.... why even bother? It'll be a Wii U situation all over again.

I base it on history. Nintendo still has a horrible relationship with developers and that isn't changing. Their 3rd party support will be anemic. Sure you might get a couple of titles at launch from Activision or Ubisoft(if released in March these will be old titles released in the Fall on other systems), but after they sell horribly support will drop. Nothing Nintendo is doing is indicating a change in how the operate. I'd expect a system that is underpowered(we will be lucky if on par with ps4, but coming almost 4 years later) with a gimmick involved(developed under Iwata and Miyamoto's control). Nintendo also won't release more than 2-3 first party titles at launch as they won't want to cannibalize their own sales. I'd love for Nintendo to change course and actually listen to fans, but nothing shows they are doing this.

jwhit28

At least another Federation Force style bomb can't happen. They could at least put together dev diary videos for games that are releasing this year.

They are at E3 at the same level as a small indy developer who has 1 game to show. Nintendo is still much more than a small indy dev, but they are acting like they are a start-up with limited funds.

They still have lots of floor space, so they look more like Konami before dropping out of the industry.

Astral Dog

It's as if people in this thread just up and forgot the Wii's waning years when everyone said "don't worry, guys, they're not releasing anything because they're REALLY preparing for the WiiU and will make a big splash!"

Rule #1 of Nintendo: Never assume they're preparing for a "big splash" if they go a long time before revealing shit. Most of the time they're just behind on their shit, doesn't mean when they do reveal it it'll be all the better for it.
I thought their 3DS lineup was pretty impressive and a big step up from DS

AzaK

Considering NX is less than 12 months away, you would think they would want to start the momentum for fans to get interested. I don't care for Zelda games so I guess I will skip it.

They can't start momentum for something they haven't done yet :) I imagine they're still finalising the thing, seeing as it's not missing the holiday season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom