• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 Plans: Digital Event On 06/16, Nintendo World Championships 2015 on 06/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bioshocker

They don't have to be it, but they always are. Of course this is subjective, but the Nintendo Digital Event in 2014 was much better than any E3 conference I watched.

Yes, of course it is. Like mostly everything we discuss here. Personally I prefer Sony's and Microsoft's press conferences. They had tons of games last year.

-Horizon-

LlEF1rg.gif

Yes.

Maztorre

I remember when Nintendo had press conferences and actually tried to compete. Treehouse is a nice thing, but other than that Nintendo at E3 is not what it once was.

The E3 conferences are fucking horrible and Nintendo are right to find a better format, unless you actually like having faked PC footage passed off as console games and a bunch of talking heads stretching the definition of the word "exclusive" to breaking point. E3 conferences are so cringeworthy, especially their tryhard attempts at "cred", and Nintendo were even worse than their competitors when using the format 90% of the time.

The combination of Treehouse and Nintendo World Championships is a great idea in an era where

a) millions of people are happy to spend hours watching gaming-related streams if the content is there.
b) competitive gaming is massively popular and growing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo's last E3 had the biggest reach among the main E3 events. That's as mainstream as an E3 event can be.

Zalman

There's something really cool about them showcasing so many different games and consoles in that video - even their least successful ones. Goes to show how proud they are of their history.

Hatchtag

Banned
Personally backing them going with the cast of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" this year.

The Gang try to win the Nintendo World Championship

Frank: OK, all right, what makes me happy is, like, you know, at night, a ride around town in a limousine, partying, having a good time. When I'm on my way to E3, I'll pass someone going to the Xbox conference. I take a box with some Wii U stuff in it, lob it out and bean him. He only gets a couple of the games. He doesn't get the whole thing, most break. He doesn't even have a way to play it! And you say, "Hey, how do ya like a taste of the good life, ya sack a' shit?"

Jay RaR

I wonder if they are still going with Robot Chicken this year.

I really do wonder if that "Mother 3" bit was still a joke or not.

Nintendo didn't mention any Mother or Earthbound stuff (barring Lucas dlc) in the past year.

Kinda miffs me if it was. Nintendo had to look at it and ok it before showing the world in their direct.

phanphare

Banned
Sometimes they are, but not always. I think both Sony and Microsoft have been better at focusing on games and not diagrams and chatter the last couple of years. I expect something similar this year.

And E3 wouldn't be E3 without stuff like this.

that was one of the worst moments in gaming history, to be honest

JoeM86

that was one of the worst moments in gaming history, to be honest

Thunderous applause at the fact that they aren't screwing the consumer. I facepalmed so much that day.

So many idealise these past moments of E3 conferences. Sure, some were fantastic (even though the reaction video people link to for Zelda in 2004 isn't what we saw at home, we didn't have like 80% of the reaction applause), but many of the dull, boring and overlong parts just get forgotten. It's why I'm glad Nintendo are on the Digital Event path now.

dhonk

If Nintendo had had enough games for E3 this year, they wouldn't have to make silly videos like this.

I know Im being trolled here, but Mega64 did a lot of this video so I would hazard a guess that Nintendo themselves didnt spend an extraordinary amount of time on it.

Tbh I don't expect this year's E3 to be great, but I'm not too bummed out about it. There are plenty of games I haven't gotten on the 3DS yet that I want. I just hope they have more coming on 3DS in the future.

Hatchtag

Banned
Thunderous applause at the fact that they aren't screwing the consumer. I facepalmed so much that day.

So many idealise these past moments of E3 conferences. Sure, some were fantastic (even though the reaction video people link to for Zelda in 2004 isn't what we saw at home, we didn't have like 80% of the reaction applause), but many of the dull, boring and overlong parts just get forgotten. It's why I'm glad Nintendo are on the Digital Event path now.

Yeah. Press conferences are really good when you want a reaction to a surprising reveal, which is why I think they'll go back to them next year with the NX and Zelda U. But there's also a lot of downtime, and things the crowd clearly does not care about will drag on. Like, last year at Sony's press conference, the guy who took the stage about an hour into it? That was like 15-30 minutes of just pure downtime. They could've cut that out and people would've been much more positive about their press conference.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Are there any GIFs of the Power Pad punching? That was great. So was the Virtual Boy.

Great video all around, very funny.

Neiteio

lol @ the silly goose saying Nintendo made this fun video to distract from a lack of games

Nintendo had fun videos like this last year, and the general consensus here and elsewhere was they stole the show with all the great games they showed. :)

Phenomic

Are there any GIFs of the Power Pad punching? That was great. So was the Virtual Boy.

Great video all around, very funny.

I was about to ask for this essentially. I wonder if he knew before that video that it was faster to get on your hands and hit it than running for speed purposes. Classic good.

Also, It just hit me that they fired Bill because the kid spoke really fluent Japanese. That kid could work at Nintendo soon enough if he's actually a dual linguist like that. Wonder if it was someones son or something.

Trevelyan

Banned
If Retro is making it, I don't think we'll be seeing anything. It hasn't even been 15 months since Tropical Freeze was released.

While TF came out in Feb, the actual game was done by November of 2013. Nintendo held the game back. Retro hopefully has had enough time to show whatever they've been working on.

TrueBlue

What...? It was brilliant entertainment.

For all the wrong reasons. E3 should be about the games. The fact that Sony even had to go there was pretty depressing. Of course, the finger can be pointed at Microsoft for making it necessary.

I just feel that, at E3, the entertainment should be derived from the games more than anything. The fact that some consider a company going "Hey, we're not going implement shitty practices on you!" is considered an entertaining highlight at E3 isn't a good thing, at least not in my opinion.

The Digital Event last year cut away a lot of the unnecessary fat - if it does the same this year, Nintendo have my sword.

MouldyK

Sometimes they are, but not always. I think both Sony and Microsoft have been better at focusing on games and not diagrams and chatter the last couple of years. I expect something similar this year.

And E3 wouldn't be E3 without stuff like this.

Uhh, didn't people complain about Sony's Conference last year talking about crap like numbers they sold and shit which no-one cared about?

Like the whole section with "President Business"?

behfjsjckqcbqnxridi1.gif

http://kotaku.com/the-many-hand-gestures-of-playstations-new-ceo-1588458775

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom