• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nessus

God I wish companies would somehow allow fans to host their own dedicated servers on PC so that console games' online functionality could be extended indefinitely.

FyreWulff

This is absurd. What is their reasoning?

Nintendo Wi Fi Connection was actually done by Gamespy. Gamespy's online matchmaking/server business was bought out recently (in internet years), and the new company started shutting down tons of games that Gamespy had provided the online service for after AGES. I wouldn't be surprised if the usage was too low for them to renew the contract for the services, or they asked too much from Nintendo to renew it (some developers said they wish they could have kept their old PC games online, but the money the new company wanted was absurd).

Zebra

Yeah isn't this kind of a big deal since it means you essentially have under 3 months before you can't get stuff off of Heart Gold/Soul Silver anymore since they don't work with Poke Transporter for some reason. It would soften the blow a bit if they can patch it in, but it's Nintendo so that will never ever happen.

You can transfer pokemon from HG/SS to BW 1/2 through a local connection, you don't need to go online.

ZeroX03

Banned
You can transfer pokemon from HG/SS to BW 1/2 through a local connection, you don't need to go online.

Cool. So I should have no problem transferring my Pokemon from DPP/HGSS to BW/2 locally, then Pokebanking from there? Was starting to panic that this could mess up my trading, but I have a DS + 3DS and don't think I have any overseas trading to do.

xk0sm0sx

Isn't it arguable that the DS and Wii are still very relevant in this age due to backwards compatibility and their cheap costs?

This is very, very wrong.

tumblr_inline_n1n4ecpdq91qgdj69.png

I FEEL GENUINELY EXTREMELY UPSET ABOUT THIS

LOLDSFAN

Man an end of an era. I remember playing Mario Kart DS back in the day. Hoping I wouldn't find a snaker because I didn't want to break my finger against them.

Then there was Metroid Prime Hunters. Also hated those people who would play as the sniper one. They always seemed OP to me and I would lose those battles.

Can't forget Brawl. Could never find a match and when you do it was super laggy. Probably due to the fact I was using the USB Wifi Connector.
KuGsj.gif

RIP to my favorite spinning logo...

3OI57de.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Isn't it arguable that the DS and Wii are still very relevant in this age due to backwards compatibility and their cheap costs?

Well, no, not really, considering none of the software is being produced or sold new, there's no retail support, and the only new hardware for the Wii for the last several years has no online support whatsoever. It's not like Nintendo is selling this stuff in developing territories or anything.

Yes. So many concessions to include backwards compatibility in 3DS/Wii U makes this rather early server shutdown look quite silly.

Well, no, not really, considering none of the software is being produced or sold new, there's no retail support, and the only new hardware for the Wii for the last several years has no online support whatsoever. It's not like Nintendo is selling this stuff in developing territories or anything.

In December 2013 NPD Just Dance 2014 on Wii sold more than 800k. This is the first Just Dance game with online multiplayer, ironically, and it was advertised as its main new feature.

FyreWulff

Yes. So many concessions to include backwards compatibility in 3DS/Wii U makes this rather early server shutdown look quite silly.

Early? The service is almost 10 years old.

It actually lasted longer than Live for the original Xbox. And you'll still be able to download your content. It's just the multiplayer matchmaking.

In December 2013 NPD Just Dance 2014 on Wii sold more than 800k. This is the first Just Dance game with online multiplayer, ironically, and it was advertised as its main new feature.

Interestingly, Just Dance 2014 does not show up in Nintendo's big list of games losing online

Eusis

That's odd. I narrowed down by publisher (Xseed), and its definitely not on the list. Can't explain that one.
Incidentally Just Dance isn't there either, though I wouldn't be surprised if it used some Uplay Friends thing to put people together or something.

terrisus

It seems to affect every game that used the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for its online, including Mario Kart Wii & DS, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, DS Pokemon titles, The Last Story, Animal Crossing Wide World & Metroid Prime Hunters.

No more Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS, and Animal Crossing: Wild World online?
That's the end of an era right there.

Ah, for the days of direct-connect internet games where one didn't have to rely on servers for connectivity.

Cipherr

Bringing back some painful memories.

Shit hurts son. Dreamcast had more than a few games with online leaderboards and communities, and Im telling you, it fucking hurt to watch them vanish from the internet like a fart in the wind. And it never gets better either. I would say that once years past and nostalgia sets in, it gets WORSE actually.

MmeGjCR.gif

I dont see Just Dance on the shutdown list man. Lets make sure we are talking about games that are actually effected by this.

demolitio

Well now people won't be lying when they say the Wii has no online. :D

That sucks though, especially since I know a few people that will be affected. I just wish Nintendo would catch up in online gaming at this point. Really hoping the new SSB will show me that Nintendo is embracing online multiplayer more compared to Brawl's struggles.

I wonder how much money they save by doing this. The Wii is still in a lot of households but I imagine most of them just play them offline or split-screen, but still...there's going to be quite a few sad people.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This reminds me that I tried to boot up the Metroid Prime 3 Preview Channel about a week ago and it isn't working anymore :(

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Is this to make Wii mini buyers feel better about their purchase?

Seriously though, I'm not happy about it but it's not unexpected news. I also can't really remember the last time I played a Wii game online. If I really want to play these games again over the internet then I can do it with emulators.

Damaniel

Banned
Fine for the Wii, but this is legitimately too soon for the DS. I'm sure that lots of people still play Mario Kart, let alone the Pokemon games.

The original Wii has still been readily in stock at U.S. retailers as recently as a few months ago, and the Wii Mini didn't even reach the U.S. until last November. Also several first-party titles like Smash Bros, Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart are still in stock new everywhere I've seen so it seems odd to dismiss them. Anecdotally I still see pretty big Wii software sections at Target and Best Buy. The hardware might be on the way out but it does feel premature to me given that new software is still readily available.

The Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Pokemon communities aren't really affected since most of them have moved on to the newer games (or simulators in Pokemon's case). I'm surprised the online services stayed up as long as they did. Monster Hunter Tri went down at least a year ago though Capcom ran those servers iirc.

As long as the stores are still up there isn't really an issue.

No more Fortune Street wifi though. ;P

donny2112

The hardware might be on the way out but it does feel premature to me given that new software is still readily available.

This is most likely an "let's just do it all" move since they'd want to end Mario Kart Wii prior to Mario Kart 8 coming out. It may be required to be all-or-nothing to take Mario Kart Wii out, but that's just speculation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The original Wii has still been readily in stock at U.S. retailers as recently as a few months ago, and the Wii Mini didn't even reach the U.S. until last November. Also Smash Bros, Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart are still in stock new everywhere I've seen so it seems odd to dismiss them. Anecdotally I still see pretty big Wii software sections at Target and Best Buy. The hardware might be on the way out but it does feel premature to me given that new software is still readily available.

I think mostly what you're seeing is rotten stock from several years ago that hasn't clearanced because Nintendo doesn't do much in the way of price protection agreements with retailers. I think Just Dance and Skylanders are the only new software that have sold any volume since 2011 or so and I don't think either have notable online.

I don't have NPD figures to look up aggregate Wii software numbers, but I suspect this is a combination of absolutely no income stream related to these services + cost balloons on the service provider side + despite people's lament here, almost certainly incredibly low player numbers. Nintendo IR has 27 million units software Calendar Q4 2012, with about 30 million units software for all of Calendar 2013 (9 million calendar Q4, -66%). That's pretty low.

NogibTC

Banned
This is the worst news all year.

Shall we compile a list of games with downloadable levels?

Professor Layton games
Warioware DIY
Jam With The Band/Diagasso! Band Brothers DX
Picross

I was wondering the same thing. I can live without the multiplayer for games but to miss out on any unlocks/downloadables would be devastating to me. The Layton games were the first ones to come to mind of course.

jakomocha

This is incredibly ridiculous, because the Wii and even the original DS (although not by a lot) are still selling, at least in the US. It's not like Nintendo can't afford to host Nintendo Wi-Fi connection or anything, especially considering how few games optimized it. Will Download Play still work? It better, it's not like it requires an internet connection.

I'm pretty sure there are still some people playing Mario Kart Wii and SSBB online also. There are quite a few Wii and DS classics I don't own which supposedly have stellar online multiplayer I'll never get to play (or will only get to play for a short period of time before Nintendo pulls the plug on their wifi).
RIP.
:(

Edit:
This also makes the DS virtual console coming to Wii U seem a whole lot less appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom