• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo EPD Producer Kosuke Yabuki Interview on Mario Kart 8 DX

that's the CPU's problem

and not much of a problem

actually it's a forgettably small calculation (even for the 72 shells you propose)

mesh+texture is only loaded into RAM once so multiple items add only a few extra bytes to memory

he's just giving a bullshit reason

what's your profession?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
As much as I loved Mario Kart 8, I dunno if I'm so keen to buy it again so soon.

Maybe I'll wait it out and pick it up during an inevitable B2G1F sale or similar.

Lynd7

You'll also have twice as many chances to get a defensive item.

You could defend in MKWii too right? I found MK8 to be a bit less annoying than Wii, going back to more items with 12 racers will probably make it worse.

No mention of AA but 1080p on TV and 720p on the handheld screen will be a lot less jaggy than the Wii U version. Playing it on the gamepad also meant it had compression/streaming artefacts.

Also somewhat related to a Wii U comparison, MK8DX apparently runs at 60fps at all times whereas Mario Kart 8 would repeat a frame every 64 frames or so, making its frame rate 59fps (I think its assumed to be a bug?). Obviously not that big of a difference, but it's an improvement nonetheless.

Piano

Banned
I actually preferred MK8 with only one item per character. Kept things from getting to annoying. I hope they have a one-item option in there somewhere.

Crazyorloco

I have no idea how they'll top Mario kart 8D. They'll probably have to put new modes. It's a great game, even if you already have it for the Wii U. Great replay value.

Smasher89

Hopefully they can patch in a All tour cup for the Wii u version, thats basicly the one thing that holds the normal racing and racing online back a bit, battlemode sure is nonexistent though!

Never owned a Wii U (well I did briefly before Mario Kart 8 was released). Puts me in a sorta weird position. Do I get MK 8 DX when MK 9 is potentially a 2018 title? I'm not a huge MK fan so I can wait.

I sincerely doubt that Mario Kart 9 will be a 2018 title. 2019 at the absolute earliest.

Right now, the MK team is working on this, and ARMS. You really think they'll be able to crank out a full sequel to one of the most robust Mario Karts ever made in a year?

Neoxon

Never owned a Wii U (well I did briefly before Mario Kart 8 was released). Puts me in a sorta weird position. Do I get MK 8 DX when MK 9 is potentially a 2018 title? I'm not a huge MK fan so I can wait.
Considering that the MK8 team (or at least a good chunk of the team) is busy with ARMS & may do DLC for that game, I wouldn't get your hopes up for MK9 happening anytime soon.

I'm still holding out hope for Mario Kart Zero, the origin story for the Mario Kart timeline, but I agree that we probably won't see the next one until the next decade.

To everyone questioning the ram thing, perhaps they also experimented with holding more than 2 item sets? It never says they only experimented with 2. Just a thought.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm still holding out hope for Mario Kart Zero, the origin story for the Mario Kart timeline, but I agree that we probably won't see the next one until the next decade.

Finally, a Mario Kart with a proper campaign with cinematic storytelling! :p

I think we'll get MK9 in 2-3 years tops.

Leatherface

I always thought the one weapon at a time thing was a strategic choice and not a horsepower issue. Am I reading into that right?

Piscus

Rather they bring out 9 and start that as a service rather than use the one millions have already played the content to death with.

More millions didn't play it at all. 9 will probably be fundamentally different, too.
Like a return to two characters per cart, mark my words.

More millions didn't play it at all. 9 will probably be fundamentally different, too.
Like a return to two characters per cart, mark my words.

It certainly fits with the name Mario Kart Switch if it happens.
Maybe Smash Bros. Switch will have tag team battles?

javadoze

Somehow I'm doubtful they'd simply follow up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with a simple Mario Kart 9. A few years from now seems like the perfect time to do the "Nintendo Kart" idea that people have been wanting for so long.

According to Google's translate Boos are called Teresa?
Theresa-May.jpg

Still think this game is dumb. Should become a Mario kart service. Starts with 8 and is constantly updated from there with new tracks, characters, etc.

It's gotten to a point now I feel where MK8 and Smash Brothers are so refined, like Madden, where any changes they do to put out a new title would likely be so incremental since the core experience is so tight. At this point, rather than MK9 I could see Nintendo just releasing track and character DLC, which would in effect probably be close to what MK9 would be anyway- the same game with new tracks/ characters.

yessss Smash/MK Services

have we learned nothing with Street Fighter V

fuck that model

what about Siege and Overwatch?

I'm not sure about Siege, but Overwatch doesn't make me pay for it's new maps or characters. I'm not against DLC, but I'd rather not have a game with 5 years worth of it. I'd be much happier with an updated version or rather an entirely new game. We thought they could do nothing interesting after 7 and 8 surprised everyone. That model would kill creativity too

Yukinari

Battle mode needs at minimum 8 maps, preferably 10 like MKW had. Also 60 bucks is too much should be 50 or 40.

What really bugs me is if they werent busy making new courses and all the time went into battle mode, why do we only get 5 characters and 3 karts?

THREE karts? Not even new wheels or gliders?

brad-t

Battle mode needs at minimum 8 maps, preferably 10 like MKW had. Also 60 bucks is too much should be 50 or 40.

What really bugs me is if they werent busy making new courses and all the time went into battle mode, why do we only get 5 characters and 3 karts?

Does MK8 really need more vehicles or parts? The selection is pretty robust already.

Also, they were busy making a totally different game, ARMS.

You know what I want, more than the included battle mode? I want a mode where we can pick the # of laps like on MKDS. The Rainbow Road on MK64 allowed for 3 full laps on the original N64, but that same track was only 1 lap on the Wii U version. It was too short! And that track in particular is the highlighted track of the Switch version. It's even on the cover

Don't buy it then. There are tons of people who probably wanted the game, but didn't want to get a Wii U who will gladly get it and this is probably for them

Yukinari

Does MK8 really need more vehicles or parts? The selection is pretty robust already.

Also, they were busy making a totally different game, ARMS.

Theres a lot of cool parts from 7 they could easily bring back and some of the DLC parts dont have alternatives if i dont like the design of them.

Same goes for characters. We still live in a world where Mario Sluggers has the best roster of any mario spin-off.

Crom

Don't buy it then. There are tons of people who probably wanted the game, but didn't want to get a Wii U who will gladly get it and this is probably for them

Also it comes with the DLC which is $16 extra on the Wii U

I have no problem with them releasing a complete version that is locked at 60 fps, has proper battle modes, is portable, and has the 16 bonus race tracks.

$60 is not an issue at all for a AAA game like this.

If there is, it'll be a first. I don't think any systems have had more than one Mario Kart. Normally one per system per gen. This is why I feel like MK8D is a bit sly/cheap on Nintendo's part.

Well like other's have echoed, Nintendo's primary goal was to get AAA software out the gate, and there wasn't enough time to start a game from scratch. That's why the first 3 AAA titles are all Wii U ports. Zelda:BotW is a Wii U port, Mario Kart Deluxe is a Wii U port, and Splatoon 2 looks to be Splatoon 1 DLC that has been transformed into a sequel by name only. From where I sit, Mario Odyssey is the first "true" AAA title and that won't be ready until the end of the year. Switch would have had an amazing launch if Nintendo waited until this winter to release the console but given how dead the Wii U is, they couldn't afford to wait any longer.

Somehow I'm doubtful they'd simply follow up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with a simple Mario Kart 9. A few years from now seems like the perfect time to do the "Nintendo Kart" idea that people have been wanting for so long.

I think you're on the money with Nintendo Kart. MK8D is easing people to the idea. Also Mario Kart is starting to hit the end of its rope. MK8D, I feel is the ultimate culmination of the Mario Kart series. I could see them release Nintendo Kart in 2020/2021.

I'm hoping that rumor about Monster Games developing Diddy Kong Racing 2 is still true. 2018 would be a good release for it and could have a better chance of standing on its own with MK being a re-release. Perhaps Retro could lend some support like they did with MK7. I find it odd that Diddy Kong still isn't in MK8D and DKCR2 would lend credence to that.

Tadaima

For those wondering about Mario Kart 9 –

Mr Kimishima stated that there is presently no 3DS successor in development. This does not confirm that Nintendo is not developing a handheld system, but it strongly implies that they are not. This fits with with the unification of Nintendo's hardware teams.

Since ~1999, there has always been a Mario Kart in development. The team shifts between home and portable versions:

2001: portable (SC)
2003: home (DD)
2005: portable (DS)
2008: home (Wii)
2011: portable (7)
2014: home (8)

As you can see, Mario Kart games have a ~3 year development cycle. Mario Kart 8 broke the rules a little, since the team moved onto DLC, the last of which was released in Q2 2015. Since MK8 was light on content upon release, we can probably assume the games have moved to 4 year development cycles.

With this data taken into consideration, the next Mario Kart would usually be released this or next year, on a Nintendo portable system. Instead, Nintendo is releasing an upgraded version of its 2014 release, the resources for which will be significantly less than what has been demanded from other releases.

Additionally, with this taken into account, the core team is very likely already working on Mario Kart 9, and probably has been since 2014.

Thereby, we can expect the next Mario Kart to be ready in early 2019. Unless Nintendo releases a new portable which not a Switch variant (which seems increasingly unlikely), this Mario Kart will arrive on Switch.

The exception:

Now that Nintendo no longer has to focus on multiple platforms, there is flexibility to either reduce the size of the team (increasing the length of development), or do something else post-release. Potentially, this could mean that the team might be moved onto an existing IP (probably something lucrative like Diddy Kong Racing) or something new entirely.

However, we should consider that the Mario Kart IP is extremely profitable for Nintendo, so it is likely that we'll see the traditional release schedule continue (but perhaps padded out a little with DLC) in the future.

Branduil

For those wondering about Mario Kart 9 –

Mr Kimishima stated that there is presently no 3DS successor in development. This does not confirm that Nintendo is not developing a handheld system, but it strongly implies that they are not. This fits with with the unification of Nintendo's hardware teams.

Since ~1999, there has always been a Mario Kart in development. The team shifts between home and portable versions:

2001: portable (SC)
2003: home (DD)
2005: portable (DS)
2008: home (Wii)
2011: portable (7)
2014: home (8)

As you can see, Mario Kart games have a ~3 year development cycle. Mario Kart 8 broke the rules a little, since the team moved onto DLC, the last of which was released in Q2 2015. Since MK8 was light on content upon release, we can probably assume the games have moved to 4 year development cycles.

With this data taken into consideration, the next Mario Kart would usually be released this or next year, on a Nintendo portable system. Instead, Nintendo is releasing an upgraded version of its 2014 release, the resources for which will be significantly less than what has been demanded from other releases.

Additionally, with this taken into account, the core team is very likely already working on Mario Kart 9, and probably has been since 2014.

Thereby, we can expect the next Mario Kart to be ready in early 2019. Unless Nintendo releases a new portable which not a Switch variant (which seems increasingly unlikely), this Mario Kart will arrive on Switch.

The exception:

Now that Nintendo no longer has to focus on multiple platforms, there is flexibility to either reduce the size of the team (increasing the length of development), or do something else post-release. Potentially, this could mean that the team might be moved onto an existing IP (probably something lucrative like Diddy Kong Racing) or something new entirely.

However, we should consider that the Mario Kart IP is extremely profitable for Nintendo, so it is likely that we'll see the traditional release schedule continue (but perhaps padded out a little with DLC) in the future.
The Mario Kart team is working on ARMS, not too mention this port. Mario Kart 9 isn't coming out any time soon.

Huh? You mean just because it lacked a proper battle mode? Game had as many karts and courses as any other in the series? I don't see how that's light in content

Tadaima

Huh? You mean just because it lacked a proper battle mode? Game had as many karts and courses as any other in the series? I don't see how that's light in content

Exactly. Compared to previous releases in the series, it was light on content. That's not to say it wasn't extremely polished, though.

The Mario Kart team is working on ARMS, not too mention this port. Mario Kart 9 isn't coming out any time soon.

Has that been confirmed? Konno is the main man behind Mario Kart, and he is not involved with Arms. Seems he is working on FE.

Even still, given that Mario Kart has essentially taken a one-game hiatus and both Deluxe and Arms are finished, we can expect the next release to be roughly on schedule.

Top Bottom