• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop Anniversary Sale starting June 9 in Europe

Literally the first decent sale I've ever seen on the eshop! Will winders never cease!

Although I guess that means it'll be at least another 5 years until the next on.

Still might actually get a few things, although the selection isn't hugely my bag, sadly. Still, Ages and Seasons are definetes!

My entire gaming youth was slow as molasses :(

Felt so cheated when I first found out about the 50Hz/60Hz thing..

Not only that, but many games didn't take advantage of the extra 96 PAL lines. Instead of 576i, we got 480i letterboxed. I haven't bought any EU VC titles, but I'm going to assume that such games can at least be rendered properly (at 240p w/o letterboxing).

Ridley327

Not sure if I can fit Metroid Prime Trilogy in what is left in my Wii U premiun internal memeory. Anyone knows how big it is?
Edit: it would be unnecesary as I have the individual games and the trilogy disc itself but for this price I may bite.
I'm pretty sure it's just under 8 gigs. It's the biggest Wii game available.

Nosgotham

Literally the first decent sale I've ever seen on the eshop! Will winders never cease!

Although I guess that means it'll be at least another 5 years until the next on.

Still might actually get a few things, although the selection isn't hugely my bag, sadly. Still, Ages and Seasons are definetes!

there are really great sales all the time, just ususlly not advertised. if youre talking about first party stuff, yeah youre right, but as a whole you can find crazy great sales all the time.

MilkLizard

In for Mario Galaxy 2. Never played it before.

How do Wii games look on the WiiU. Are they upscaled to HD or something?

Darrenf

I've wanted NES Remix for ages so I'm going to get that. Shame NoE never released a retail version of the game on Wii U.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In for Mario Galaxy 2. Never played it before.

How do Wii games look on the WiiU. Are they upscaled to HD or something?

The games are still rendered in 480p (they're literally the Wii games, even booting into Wii mode to launch them) but the Wii U will be sending an HD signal to your television so they look cleaner than they would playing on a Wii.

MilkLizard

The games are still rendered in 480p (they're literally the Wii games, even booting into Wii mode to launch them) but the Wii U will be sending an HD signal to your television so they look cleaner than they would playing on a Wii.

Thanks for the infos. Sounds good enough for that price.

bman94

This is super disappointing since 90% of these games are VC titles. WTF Nintendo?
I am still debating if I should get MP Trilogy since it will probably look like shit on my tv :/

Nintendo Sale 1:
These sales are on a bunch of old retail games. How come Nintendo never puts VC games on sale?

Nintendo Sale 2:
Jesus what's with all these VC games? We want some retail games!

joedick

Yeah, I'm also wondering what is up with people complaining about VC games on sale! Outside of a one or two occasions, VC games are usually only discounted 30% during Nintendo's coordinated sales (which occur 3-4 times per year). Getting 50% off? Sounds pretty great! Fingers crossed this comes to NA!

SuomiDude

Damn, what a great sale. Lots of games that I want to pick up. Not sure I can afford all of them, but gladly I have tons of games to play already.

Ladekabel

Damn, why no SNES games for n3DS?

Finally wanted to buy Mario World only to find out it's Wii U only. Eitherway, have my eyes set on a few things.

Was hoping for more N64, of course the ones on sale I already have.
Well if nothing else it's time to nudge my friends towards Link's Awakening.

Also: Harmoknight will NEVER go on sale ffs

I keep forgetting it exists, how the heck has it evaded sale land for so long?
Actually we all know the answer, this upcoming sale itself seems pretty miraculous.

The Boat

You clearly haven't been paying attention.

Not bad, but I already have everything I could want from the offers.

Maybe if they had some of the snes games on offer for n3DS, but oh well.

GRW810

Grabbing Earthbound and Donkey Kong 64 at those prices, wow.

Tempted by Dillon's Rolling Western - it's the cheapest I've ever seen it at 50% off - but I've heard the sequel improves upon it in most ways. Is it better to just skip straight to the sequel?

FAST Racing Neo is on my wanted list but I'm thinking it might one day get a 50% off discount.

trixx

not that great, should be regular prices for some of those games (virtual console titles)

Anyways some money saved better than nothing

Oh yeah, how do those interact with the golden Coins in My Nintendo?

So far, it's been that you get the coins for the full undiscounted price.

So, for example,
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii download version) - £8.99 (was £17.99) / €9.99 (was €19.99)

will get you 20 gold coins from the £9-£17.99 bracket it normally is in, and not 10 coins from the £4.50- £8.99 bracket that you might think it would be in because of the sale price.

Rafavert

Oh my... tempted to bite into Earthbound and Mario Galaxy 2. Been meaning to buy both for a while now, though I'd be much happier if Earthbound was a 3DS title.

Ladekabel

So far, it's been that you get the coins for the full undiscounted price.

So, for example,
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii download version) - £8.99 (was £17.99) / €9.99 (was €19.99)

will get you 20 gold coins from the £9-£17.99 bracket it normally is in, and not 10 coins from the £4.50- £8.99 bracket that you might think it would be in because of the sale price.

Thank you. Do you know if the rewards do stack? For example I buy several games that would net me the 10 golden coins, would I get the reward as much?

GRW810

Nothing for me, which is good since I have no money lol

Also: Harmoknight will NEVER go on sale ffs
Meant to post this myself. I don't understand why, it's like Nintendo have forgotten it exists. It can't be selling bucketloads at full price at this stage, so a promoted discount would boost its profile.

Nintendo put Zelda and Mario games on sale regularly, as well as top eShop titles like Pullblox. Why Harmoknight hasn't been discounted is beyond me.

Thank you. Do you know if the rewards do stack? For example I buy several games that would net me the 10 golden coins, would I get the reward as much?

Not sure which question you're asking.

If you buy games that would normally get you no coins, because they're below the lowest tier (£4.50 for uk prices), like

Art Academy: SketchPad - £1.79 (was £3.59) / €1.99 (was €3.99)

You won't ever get any gold coins, even if you buy several games in the bracket (like this + some of the GB virtual console titles)

If the games are in any of the gold coin earning tiers, you earn the number of coins for every purchase.

So if you buy metroid prime trilogy and super mario galaxy 2 in this sale, you'll earn a total of 40 coins (20 for each game purchased in the £9-17.99 tier)

Javier

They don't stack. If you buy a $6.00 game you get 10 coins, but buying two $3.00 games gives you nothing.

Also, it's very important to check HOW discounts are done. Normally, (going by US eShop here) discounts are done so that it shows that it's a temporary price reduction, as the full price is still shown striked through, but the discounted price is shown aside in orange lettering. However, there's been times in which Nintendo has discounted their own games by having the discounted price replace the full price, as in, the only price shown is the discounted price, but it appears as if it was the de facto full price. This is normally done when games get permanent price reductions, but Nintendo has done temporary discounts this way.

If you buy a game that has a discount done in the former way, you should get My Nintendo Coins equivalent to the full price; but the latter should give you Coins based on the discounted price.

Ladekabel

If the games are in any of the gold coin earning tiers, you earn the number of coins for every purchase.

So if you buy metroid prime trilogy and super mario galaxy 2 in this sale, you'll earn a total of 40 coins (20 for each game purchased in the £9-17.99 tier)

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

peakish

I'd probably pick up quite a few VC games if I knew they would transfer to future consoles. Just saying, Nintendo.

Might still get Earthbound since I've never played it and I want to get Mother 3 localized. MP Trilogy is also tempting although it's a pain to work with the Wii controller in my current setup.

Mithos

The eternal problem with Nintendo sales as a Nintendo fan:
"I already own,
all that shit."

IF only. For me it's: Is Nintendo's account/management system good enough for me to wanna buy digital (not having to call Nintendo and being subjected to RNG crap), and the answer so far, NOPE.

It's kinda... disappointing. I expected that we would get a discount on Mario Kart or 3D land (the kind of games where 45€ for a several years old game feels like a ripoff). I will get SMT IV, but when I look at all those VC classics... It's the kind of games I still can beat blindfoldeld after a Nintendo-only childhood. Heck, most of that stuff is already on my game collection shelves.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Damn, why no SNES games for n3DS?

Finally wanted to buy Mario World only to find out it's Wii U only. Eitherway, have my eyes set on a few things.

Probably because they're still quite new and the fact in Europe we've that that buy one get one half price promotion for each set of games released.

You clearly haven't been paying attention.

I check every single sale, because I have a slight bsession with paying as little as possible. Sure, there's been a few third party bargains here and there, and despite how utterly archaically shite Nintendo's digital policies are, bought a good dozen games over the past few years, exclusively from sales, but when put in the context of even the worst digital sales on every other platform, Nintendo's are 99% of the time offering lower percentage discounts and charging more even for the same games than anyone else.

And that's without even taking into account the shockingly overpriced nature of their first party titles and how bloody rare and insultingly poor those games sales are.

Hell, even this sale, as good as it is, is only just on a par with the sales that occur on a constant basis on Xbox and Playstation, as well as lacking the range and number of titles those competing platforms generally have up too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I check every single sale, because I have a slight bsession with paying as little as possible. Sure, there's been a few third party bargains here and there, and despite how utterly archaically shite Nintendo's digital policies are, bought a good dozen games over the past few years, exclusively from sales, but when put in the context of even the worst digital sales on every other platform, Nintendo's are 99% of the time offering lower percentage discounts and charging more even for the same games than anyone else.

And that's without even taking into account the shockingly overpriced nature of their first party titles and how bloody rare and insultingly poor those games sales are.

Hell, even this sale, as good as it is, is only just on a par with the sales that occur on a constant basis on Xbox and Playstation, as well as lacking the range and number of titles those competing platforms generally have up too.

I firmly disagree. Like...firmly.
They keep their initial SRP longer than other, but as initial price they aren't insulting like..at all. Really.

Unless you are talking about Virtual console games. Then, I agree.

oni-link

Pretty happy with this sale overall, at last some VC titles are on sale

How long of a game is Earthbound? Unsure if I want to add it to the backlog

Will probs get Super Metroid, Fast Racing Neo and maybe Mario 3 and World

I firmly disagree. Like...firmly.
They keep their initial SRP longer than other, but as initial price they aren't insulting like..at all. Really.

Unless you are talking about Virtual console games. Then, I agree.

I am absolutely talking about VC games, those things are expensive as hell in comparison to the same generation games on other platforms, almost never go on sale (and only barely drop in price when they do) and are often inferior to emulated version you can get a wider variety of for free.

Well, also the general lack of sales and the continental drift speed at which they drop in price for current stuff. But yeah, mostly VC. Nintendo's mishandling of their gold mine of a back catalogue is just incredibly frustrating as a life long fan.

oni-link

I am absolutely talking about VC games, those things are expensive as hell in comparison to the same generation games on other platforms, almost never go on sale (and only barely drop in price when they do) and are often inferior to emulated version you can get a wider variety of for free.

Well, also the general lack of sales and the continental drift speed at which they drop in price for current stuff. But yeah, mostly VC. Nintendo's mishandling of their gold mine of a back catalogue is just incredibly frustrating as a life long fan.

I've come to terms with the Nintendo tax

Top Bottom