• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop on Switch now allows you to save credit card info

Syranth

Eh, I'm not so lazy that I can't put it in every so often to buy a game. I'd rather have the piece of mind that my information is safe. Nice feature for some, but I can spare 20 seconds.

I mean it is good to have options ... but who in their right mind would do that?

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe credit card information is only stored on the local machine, password protected. Has there been any indication that they save credit card info on their servers (for instance, by sharing card info across devices)?

OmegaFax

I wonder if Nintendo will ever take advantage of the NFC reader/writer and allow mobile payments via Android Pay or Apple Pay. Is that doable?

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe credit card information is only stored on the local machine, password protected. Has there been any indication that they save credit card info on their servers (for instance, by sharing card info across devices)?
it appears that they also let you store it online for use in the Web shop but you have to do it explicitly. it's not a case of your 3DS or Wii U card info is stored online.

J@hranimo

Banned
While I understand your point, I don't think a hack on Nintendo's account system would have been as devastating as the Sony/Microsoft ones.

What was there to be stolen? E-shop credit for that particular account? On top of that, Nintendo has been so insignificant for "Hardcore Gamerz", that I feel like attacking Nintendo was probably not worth it for the hackers.

Now, with the popularity of the Switch, and credit card Infos being saved, I can see an attack on Nintendo's servers happen sometime in the future. Or at least an attempt.

Maybe a small attack would encourage Nintendo to tighten it up in the future? Probably not...but yeah I agree with the hackers not really getting anything out of exploiting their network.

Anything regarding customer info and Nintendo has only been compromised once, which was Club Nintendo around 2013.

Interesting. Thanks.

what Web store :|

Really? This web store..the web version of the eShop where you've been able to buy 3DS and Wii U games for..forever now.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-...ii_u|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-

But do we know if the lack of password saving was ever a thing in the web portal? I've never used it before

It never saved the password. It would ask for it each time if I remember correctly.

[...]Now, add the ability to see everything available for the eShop without having to search for something.[...]
If you scroll down to the bottom of the Recent Releases list, there's a link to "View All", which leads to the full list.

Still a bit out of the way though.

This is nice.

Now if some of those Nindies I'm waiting on would please come out.. here's looking at your Stardew Valley, Overcooked, Towerfall, Wargroove ect..

Luigiv

Good.

Now fix the storefront because it's hilarious with how small the current Switch library is, older games are undiscoverable.

Funny you should mention that, because I just noticed that they kinda did.

tRmlEXi.jpg
(Sorry for off screen but the capture button is disabled in the eShop)

Have no idea how long that's actually been there but clicking it take you to a blank search which lists all games in reverse chronological order. Still not an ideal solution but better than nothing.

It's a good thing. But I won't store my data there. It prevents me for buying stuff when drunk (yeah I know) and I don't really trust nintendo regarding security...

jts

...hate me...
bless Nintendo for these new innovative features on the Switch

have to buy something off the eShop today in celebration

cireza

I am personally done with storing cc information on companies' databases.

Even if I don't save it, I can't tell for sure if they did not keep it somewhere on one of their servers anyway.

I'd like to know why Nintendo didn't just use the same design they built for Wii U. And then continued to upgrade that.

It would have saved time and resources, and had more features from day one.

I am personally done with storing cc information on companies' databases.

Even if I don't save it, I can't tell for sure if they did not keep it somewhere on one of their servers anyway.

It's not sent to a database. It is stored locally. Only way someone could steal it is when your switch is grabbed and the password is figured out. Enter the password wrong 3 times and the cc number is deleted from the device.

yeah thanks, I already found it, tested it, confirmed that my card hasn't been stored centrally and posted as such in the thread. And still got patronised. Good work.

Before you had to merge accounts because of the switch your cc info was always stored online.
I only had to save my cc information on my Wii U and could use it on my 3DS or the web shop.

Majine

Banned
I'd like to know why Nintendo didn't just use the same design they built for Wii U. And then continued to upgrade that.

I really don't think its as simple as copy pasting the Wii U Eshop.

The Switch is a different architecture.

MilkLizard

No thanks. Not a bash against Nintendo though. The only online places that have my credit card saved are Amazon and Paypal.

Prepaid cards ftw

Edit:
It's not sent to a database. It is stored locally. Only way someone could steal it is when your switch is grabbed and the password is figured out. Enter the password wrong 3 times and the cc number is deleted from the device.

That's a good approach IMO

Kureransu

If you scroll down to the bottom of the Recent Releases list, there's a link to "View All", which leads to the full list.

Still a bit out of the way though.

Funny you should mention that, because I just noticed that they kinda did.

(Sorry for off screen but the capture button is disabled in the eShop)

Have no idea how long that's actually been there but clicking it take you to a blank search which lists all games in reverse chronological order. Still not an ideal solution but better than nothing.

Thank you for this! This had to be a stealth update recently. I'm glad it's there, makes me not hate the eShop as much. It's nice that it also have by genre as well. That said, I still think it should be on the main menu and not hidden at the bottom of recent releases. I still feel that is a poor design choice. I'd be more forgiving if it were at the top of new releases list, where it's the first thing everyone will see. this is nitpicking, but i'd still like to see a list by ABC.

EDIT:

I thought about that as well. It's almost as if they wanted this system to not have a single likeness to the Wii U, despite the overall hardware design looking like a MUCH sleeker Gamepad. lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh, thank God. I probably would already have all of the Neo Geo games if they had this feature previously.

ramparter

Banned

I'm glad they didn't. The Switch one lacks features but it's miles better.

PS: They do refunds, example go here: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Puyo-Puyo-Tetris--1177193.html
There's a section What you need to know that has a link and a form at the end. The lin is this: https://ms.nintendo-europe.com/terms/wiiu/Wii-U-Network-EULA-UK_EN-2015-05.html#righttocancel

You have the right to cancel this contract within 14 days without giving any reason.

The cancellation period will expire after 14 days from the day of the conclusion of the contract.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Great, this was annoying as hell. I think this was featured from day 1 on the Wii U eshop, so I have no idea why they launched it like this

Fliesen

Nice addition - but seeing as the switch has a touch screen, entering my CC number was never that huge of a hassle.
(i never saved my CC info on my 3DS either)

Also, the still very limited software selection of the eShop, made this a rather insignificant issue.

still ... baby steps, Nintendo! Good Job!

The Boat

I think they started everything from scratch to make both the OS and shop as simple and fast as possible. Now they just need to make it less simple and keep it fast.

Kthulhu

I'm not going to praise Nintendo for adding a baseline feature that has been expected in any ecommerce platform for the last 15 years.

But I'm glad it's there so I can stop typing it in.

And has been on the last two systems they released.

Axass

Good for those that use the option. I'm never saving my cc details on any store/site ever. It's not that big of a hassle to retype stuff as long as I'm sure nobody can simply hack said place and get the info.

Well, that's nice.

Luigiv

Thank you for this! This had to be a stealth update recently. I'm glad it's there, makes me not hate the eShop as much. It's nice that it also have by genre as well. That said, I still think it should be on the main menu and not hidden at the bottom of recent releases. I still feel that is a poor design choice. I'd be more forgiving if it were at the top of new releases list, where it's the first thing everyone will see. this is nitpicking, but i'd still like to see a list by ABC.
Well to be fair, you can already filter by genre, submit a search term and rearange the list by price or alphabetically. It's all built into the "search" function that's been there since day one on the main menu, they've just added a hyperlink that automatically takes you to a blank search.

I agree it would be nice to have more of these sort of quicksearch hyperlinks on the front page, though.

KHlover

Banned
Ok, now can they please add paypal? It's annoying to have to buy eshop credit from paypal-gifts every time I want to buy something.

Top Bottom