• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo establishing "unified development headquarters" on 2/16

Hobby

Pretty sure this is old, but the date this is happening might be new. Also note: I'm pretty sure this is strictly for hardware development.

Nintendo will be unifying its previously separated handheld and console development structure under this unified development headquarters. This is Nintendo's first large-scale dev. structural change in 9 years. The unification is being done to promote sharing of know-how, basic skills, and to optimize development. Nintendo also aims to increase linkage between handheld and home consoles, along with raising their (as in their consoles and handhelds') affinity with the internet. Nintendo hopes this structural change will lead to the development of revolutionary new hardware.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/01/16/62972.html

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Nintendo also aims to increase linking between handheld and home console

Good news!

The few-games that utilized the GBA-GCN connectivity were pretty neat, like Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventure (Wind Waker a bit too), and it was a shame that died out even though the DS' Wireless capabilities made that connection simplified without the need of additional cables. The only games I recall doing it were Warioware DIY/Showcase, Pokemon Ranch and Battle Revolution.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Handheld-console linking could also refer to the upcoming Nintendo Network/Miiverse integration with 3DS.

Perhaps they're actually going to dare for universal login after all, ala PS3 / Vita having unified PSN account, friends list, etc.

Kimawolf

My thoughts exactly Kazerei, this reads like they are preparing for a console/handheld hybrid and the DS, 3DS and Wii U were all tests of future connection technology for said super handheld. It makes sense after all in the grand scheme of things. Developers flock to their handhelds but avoid their consoles, why not do it? so it's good they are getting some ground work laid this time.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Handheld-console linking could also refer to the upcoming Nintendo Network/Miiverse integration with 3DS.

Perhaps they're actually going to dare for universal login after all, ala PS3 / Vita having unified PSN account, friends list, etc.

I've been speculating if Pokemon X/Y, given that Pokemon has been used to jump various Nintendo linking features in the past (link cable, GBA-GCN connecting, Wi-Fi adapter, proto-Street Pass) might be the first 3DS game to utilize the Miiverse. It seems like a good game to introduce that with.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Smash 4 will be so big they'll need to join forces to prevent the awesomeness from leaking out and destroy the continuum

Kai Dracon

I've been speculating if Pokemon X/Y, given that Pokemon has been used to jump various Nintendo linking features in the past (link cable, GBA-GCN connecting, Wi-Fi adapter, proto-Street Pass) might be the first 3DS game to utilize the Miiverse. It seems like a good game to introduce that with.

Good point, wasn't considering Pokemon. Hmm, I could envision a Pokedex Pro version for Wii U to synch your pokemon collection with the console and communicate and trade pokemon through Miiverse on the console as well.

Too late on the console/handheld integration. They just decided to build a handheld console already.

I wonder if their next console will truly double as both a handheld and home console. The only reason I'd doubt it is because it would result in overall less Hardware sales.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I always thought 3DS and WiiU linking was always in the cards and that both systems were designed to allow interaction natively rather than some of the more shoddy set ups in the past.

I feel Miiverse is the first step though, and that Nintendo will grow functionality across both platforms from there. This also is probably preceded by a large UI overhaul on the 3DS, despite it not really needing it.

OnPoint

Good news!

The few-games that utilized the GBA-GCN connectivity were pretty neat, like Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventure (Wind Waker a bit too), and it was a shame that died out even though the DS' Wireless capabilities made that connection simplified without the need of additional cables. The only games I recall doing it were Warioware DIY/Showcase, Pokemon Ranch and Battle Revolution.

Why does everyone always forget about Pac Man Vs.? It was amazing.

Kai Dracon

I always thought 3DS and WiiU linking was always in the cards and that both systems were designed to allow interaction natively rather than some of the more shoddy set ups in the past.

I feel Miiverse is the first step though, and that Nintendo will grow functionality across both platforms from there. This also is probably preceded by a large UI overhaul on the 3DS, despite it not really needing it.

Well, there is the fact that Miiverse seems destined for multiple device login with your NNiD - the mobile app, browser support, etc.

Adding it to 3DS fully might require a noticeable overhaul of 3DS' OS and interface. Also the small hurdle of finding some way to translate your 3DS friends list to a NNiD friends list. But it seems they could do it without a lot of difficulty.

big youth

lets not get ahead of ourselves. combining your handheld and home console divisions doesn't exactly seem like a safe business decision. I think Apple has a pretty ideal situation, with multiple products and many consumers owning more than one (iphone, ipad, macbook, etc)

I think next gen Nintendo will only be producing one hardware, a full console hybrid of sort.

Three Hardware for the Sony-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Microsofties in their halls of stone,
Nine for Android doomed to die,
One for Iwata on his dark throne
In the Land of Nintendo where the Shadows lie.
One Hardware to rule them all, One Hardware to find them,
One Hardware to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Nintendo where the Shadows lie.

Hiltz

It looks like Nintendo's been making some big preperations for this generation.

Iwata said this back in July 2012 regarding t publishing third-party games:

If a third-party developer or publisher has come up with an idea of a potentially very unique use of the Wii U functionality with such a device, there is a high possibility that Nintendo will be a partner with that third party in an unprecedented manner (thereby reducing their development risk significantly). I do intend to work hard so that next year you will not criticize Nintendo’s use of its resources.

Somnid

They aren't going to produce one hardware, that's retarded and completely ignores the strengths of each. If anything I could see them giving birth to another form factor.

Thraktor

Well, there is the fact that Miiverse seems destined for multiple device login with your NNiD - the mobile app, browser support, etc.

Adding it to 3DS fully might require a noticeable overhaul of 3DS' OS and interface. Also the small hurdle of finding some way to translate your 3DS friends list to a NNiD friends list. But it seems they could do it without a lot of difficulty.

Not much of an overhaul needed, really. Just replace the "Friend List" button on the top of the home screen with a Miiverse button. Integrated friends lists aren't an issue, either, just give the user the option of either entering a friend code or NNID to add a friend. It should be relatively easy to automatically grab the NNIDs of friends you've already added, as they'll be tied to the friend codes. Multiple user accounts would be nice once they bring NNIDs over to 3DS, but that can wait till a later firmware update.

john tv

Was thinking about this the other day. Seems almost certain their next console will be some kind of merging of the 3DS and Wii U philosophies. A handheld that also connects to the TV to act as a console.

That or they'll make their own cell phone. (Or both?)

More likely the former IMO.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
"Unified Development Headquarters" seems like it has more to do with Nintendo creating an ecosystem for their consoles and handhelds. It was pretty messy last generation with the Wii having the Wii Shop and it's own Wii Menu and the DS not really having an interactive OS until the DSi and then having a DSiWare Shop ... thing.

Ever since the 3DS they've focused on a standard eShop store, Nintendo Network IDs and Miiverse -- IIRC they stated that Miiverse would be coming to the 3DS, so I'm assuming they'll try to implement NNiD's on the 3DS too (though, not sure how).

I think they'll combine their new Nintendo ecosystem with games that utilize the strengths of both platforms while still managing to find creative ways to make them work together.

Too late on the console/handheld integration. They just decided to build a handheld console already.

What if 3 or so years from now Nintendo released a Wii U DS of sorts? They did seem to put an awful big emphasis on low power consumption right off the bat, so maybe they're hoping to combine the 2 divisions in the long run.

Of course, that could only be great if DD purchases were linked to accounts and not hardware...

Just got activated! Whoo! Thought it'd never happen haha.

Anyone else think that their first order of business as it were would be to bring the 3DS and Wii U to Miiverse parity? Like giving the 3DS the Miiverse to begin with, and having the singular NNID?

I feel if they have a single hardware dev branch, then all the devs who work on handhelds and consoles (ie, 3DS and Wii U) would be under the same roof, doing hardware related things such as firmware, and then they'd be able to get together and talk about how to cross integrate things in together.

I know that 1st party companies are ALWAYS trying to figure out how to improve their hardware, but there's no reason they can't work on FW and such before things make it out of concept-land.

BD1

Banned
Was thinking about this the other day. Seems almost certain their next console will be some kind of merging of the 3DS and Wii U philosophies. A handheld that also connects to the TV to act as a console.

That or they'll make their own cell phone. (Or both?)

More likely the former IMO.

Yep. I imagine the Wii 3 will essentially be the GamePad with console guts stored inside, digital only with the ability to play on the go or pushed to the HDTV via a dongle or other connection.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Iwata's original mention of the new R&D building was to expand and make efficient the development staff at Nintendo.

Since...

EAD and IRD Divisions are at the Central Office
SPD, RED Divisions are at the Kyoto Research Institute.

Then I always figured the new R&D Building would combine all those 4 divisions into one building. This could also mean that the development staffs will more balanced.

EAD, IRD, SPD, RED all in the new R&D building. For addional reference. The EAD Division has had circa 600+ developers. The SPD division has had 100+ developers. This new arrangement might potentially mean that Yoshio Sakamoto's developers get a bit more man power now.

moulels

This is the new building right?

S0eYt.png

It looks huuuuuge :O

So basically, one last effort, one last line of defense. Sounds good, considering EVER OTHER DEV HOUSE IN THE WORLD ALREADY DOES THIS.

Way to be revolutionary, Nintendo.

BowieZ

Banned
How feasible is it for Nintendo to develop a reasonably modern cellphone-handheld hybrid that triples as the controller for a home console?

Iwata's original mention of the new R&D building was to expand and make efficient the development staff at Nintendo.

Since...

EAD and IRD Divisions are at the Central Office
SPD, RED Divisions are at the Kyoto Research Institute.

Then I always figured the new R&D Building would combine all those 4 divisions into one building. This could also mean that the development staffs will more balanced.

EAD, IRD, SPD, RED all in the new R&D building. For addional reference. The EAD Division has had circa 600+ developers. The SPD division has had 100+ developers. This new arrangement might potentially mean that Yoshio Sakamoto's developers get a bit more man power now.

Get their man power from EAD?

Wouldn't it be more likely that they'd just be more likely to be used on EAD projects?

BowieZ

Banned
I would be completely fine with a hand held and console hybrid. In fact I'd welcome it.
What's going to be cool is the complete overhaul of branding and design... well, probably. Calling it the WiiDS or whatever may make some business sense but I think that ship has sailed. I look forward to E3 2016 to see where their branding and philosophies have taken them.

What will be the power solution for this magical portable hybrid console?
It would be hardly any different than a 3DS plus GamePadless Wii U. It would just involve interconnectivity and streamlined design and branding.

Hrm. I'm imagining a handheld system with a dock, that has a seperate GPU, or maybe even just extra VRAM ala the Expansion Pack and HDD, if they were to do a hybrid system. It would make sense, from the perspective of the increased VRAM/GPU would give it the boost to do higher resolution TV quality power, with the HDD for storage of extra games, but that would introduce latency, which I don't think Nintendo would be too keen on, given that they designed much of the Wii U's MCM around reducing latency. But, if the speeds of such could be improved between now and then, it's a sensible option assuming they go that route.

Hopefully this will beneficit the new Smash Bros.
Shitttt... I know people like the idea of playing smash with the 3DS and stuff but I promise you you will not catch me playing smash with a 3ds. Unless its the 3DS. I wont use 3DS as controller like Iwata had said before.

Kai Dracon

So basically, one last effort, one last line of defense. Sounds good, considering EVER OTHER DEV HOUSE IN THE WORLD ALREADY DOES THIS.

Way to be revolutionary, Nintendo.

Ha ha, come on now. What do people want at this point?

Nintendo doesn't ever do what anyone else does = "Great job Nintendo, you can't figure how to make games in 2012!"

Nintendo takes cues from others and reorganizes = "Great job Nintendo, you can't figure out how to do anything original!"

Ha ha, come on now. What do people want at this point?

Nintendo doesn't ever do what anyone else does = "Great job Nintendo, you can't figure how to make games in 2012!"

Nintendo takes cues from others and reorganizes = "Great job Nintendo, you can't figure out how to do anything original!"
I feel most companies get a bit of this, but Nintendo seems to get beat with the stick more than anyone. Honestly, I hope they just keep doing what they do, since there's no denying the "Nintendo flavor", but with some more old series' follow ups. Like a 3DS Metroid for example!

Top Bottom