• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for stationary game console without optical disk

If it's cart-based or SD-card; I sure hope it has an 'autograb' mechanism which smoothly 'grabs' the cartidge/sd-card from your finger tips, slides it into the slot and then clicks it into place by itself. It would be way more classier than just pushing and clicking it into place with your hands.

There was a thread back in 2006 talking about the inevitability of consoles going to back cartridges. Hopefully the days of long load times are coming to an end.

I hope so. It's has gotten ridiculous having to install the entire game to the HDD now that games are getting bigger.

kungfuian

I can imagine a Nintendo system where physical games are 100% amibo based. They'd sell a base package for like $50 (base game consisting of x3 amibo) with all added content for said game delivered via new amibo.

In a scenario like this the system(s) that make up the NX environment would share amibo for both home and portable consoles. Or the system could be the much rumored hybrid in which case the amibo would work at home/on the go by default.

I while back I suggested Nintendo should/would take this route. It would make sense for them because it offers something significantly different from their competitors and because it fits well with their brand.

Personally I'd like to see them to go a step farther and do something like this in tandem with offering an augmented reality focused machine. Not glasses (the tech is too expensive) but where the handheld/tablet would let each user see into the same shared augmented world. I believe a well done version of this, with a focus in local shared augmented gaming, would sell like hot cakes.

Josh5890

I can imagine a Nintendo system where physical games are 100% amibo based. They'd sell a base package for like $50 (base game consisting of x3 amibo) with all added content for said game delivered via new amibo.

In a scenario like this the system(s) that make up the NX environment would share amibo for both home and portable consoles. Or the system could be the much rumored hybrid in which case the amibo would work at home/on the go by default.

I while back I suggested Nintendo should/would take this route. It would make sense for them because it offers something significantly different from their competitors and because it fits well with their brand.

Personally I'd like to see them to go a step farther and do something like this in tandem with offering an augmented reality focused machine. Not glasses (the tech is too expensive) but where the handheld/tablet would let each user see into the same shared augmented world. I believe a well done version of this, with a focus in local shared augmented gaming, would sell like hot cakes.

1. I'm 99.9% sure that amiibos can't hold nearly as much data as you would need so the only option is that scanning the amiibo unlocks the game on the eshop.

2. Stocking amiibos is more cumbersome for retail stores than game boxes.

3. Amiibos cost far more to make than a disc or cartridge.

krizzx

I figured the system wouldn't use discs, but I didn't expect it to be like this. I wonder how they are going to achieve backwards compatibility though

kungfuian

1. I'm 99.9% sure that amiibos can't hold nearly as much data as you would need so the only option is that scanning the amiibo unlocks the game on the eshop.

2. Stocking amiibos is more cumbersome for retail stores than game boxes.

3. Amiibos cost far more to make than a disc or cartridge.

These are all valid points and my logical side would tend to agree with you sir. That said, the problem with the points you made is that they are all way too logically based. We are talking about Nintendo here! You seriously think any of that practical stuff is gonna stop them from delivering magical Mario rainbow hologram toys or some other craziness? Just think back to what they did with Gamecubes, duct tape, and a little waggle, and you'll know in you heart of hearts they can do it :)

AzaK

Thread is going a bit off the rails so I'm posting this shit again for people who honestly can't be bothered with reading the entire patent and I don't blame them

GAME CONSOLE NX

I simply "translated" the patent to the best of my ability, cutting out the fluff. There's a lot of fluff.

It's a game console! The example console has no disc drive. You connect it to a television and play video games.

The example is totally of a Digital-only console but this in no way restricts any other NX hardware to be exactly that, says patent. Digital-only can be made on the cheap tho, says patent.
Passage literally confirming NX device with disc drive (bolded is my notes):

Other hardware configs need not neccessarily include an HDD. (Like, say a portable device? Hmm?)

Has HDD, Internet, CPU, GPU, RAM, like a home console would

OS Kernel has it's own memory, and it's fast so the console can boot faster

Can check if the main OS has been tampered with by checking additional storage and restore corrupted high-security data

OS has full multitasking support

You can download games to the console

Games installed to HDD

Games have code for more than one hardware configuration and the hardware determines what code is the right one to run (NX is a platform like iOS, duh it has this)

External hard drives can be connected and you can install games to them

Can emulate different HDD read/write speeds primarily for games that have special code for external HDDs, can seemingly pretend that the HDD is an optical disc as well. SPEED CONTROL

Controller with rechargeable battery (Pro Controller?)

Interesting passages:

Controller with screen. GamePad support? Could be new controller, too. Will probably have at LEAST the functionality of the GamePad.
Can charge the GamePad equivalent by plugging it into the console.

Save files are stored on the HDD O_O OMG WOW

Bolded could be interpreted as being the oft-touted "high texture download" option.

Can read/write SD cards. This allows for retail distribution or OS updates using SD cards. Really any data that you can think of putting on an SD card, can be used. No confirmation of anything.

Digital only huh? Well I guess there's no Nintendo games in my future. I guess if they chop the price down to $2 I'll bite. Digital only to me is throwaway.

Clefargle

Digital only huh? Well I guess there's no Nintendo games in my future. I guess if they chop the price down to $2 I'll bite. Digital only to me is throwaway.

It's literally right at the end of the text you quoted that it could use carts/cards for physical retail games. Then offer digital too

Thoraxes

I almost wonder if it could be a 3DSTV, haha. It'd be a stationary game console that doesn't use optical media that hooks up to a TV.

Would require a Wii U Tablet controller or something. Maybe a cheap SKU for people who already own a Wii U and don't need a tablet, and then one with both Tablet and Console.

I almost wonder if it could be a 3DSTV, haha. It'd be a stationary game console that doesn't use optical media that hooks up to a TV.

Would require a Wii U Tablet controller or something. Maybe a cheap SKU for people who already own a Wii U and don't need a tablet, and then one with both Tablet and Console.

3DS TV would be terrible. The resolution would make you want to claw your eyes out.

It's literally right at the end of the text you quoted that it could use carts/cards for physical retail games. Then offer digital too

That line is sinxtanx's own thoughts. Nowhere in the patent does it mention game storage as the intended usage of the memory card slot. The mention of a compatible console with an optical drive, in fact, weighs against that possibilty. The only reason they would describe the second sku is to allow for physical media which this version lacks.

Mazzo

Put a couple of amiibo cards along with the code for the game inside the case at retailers. People will still want to buy the physical versions xD

Josh5890

I doubt that 3D is going to be much of a factor with the NX.

I was just thinking about it, but didn't Iwata mention that they'd take into consideration different form factors for different regions? They could do that (I imagine that without a disc drive a system would cut down on energy usage as well)

This is a horrible idea and I'd want no part of it

killatopak

Gold Member
If this is what Nintendo is cooking up next, you can expect it to fail miserably like the Wii U.

No disks or using proprietary carts will fail.

sörine

Banned
I was just thinking about it, but didn't Iwata mention that they'd take into consideration different form factors for different regions? They could do that (I imagine that without a disc drive a system would cut down on energy usage as well)
Yes and this is why I think they might not bother launching the console NX in Japan at all.

KingBroly

Banned
sörine;176282285 said:
Yes and this is why I think they might not bother launching the console NX in Japan at all.

Then none of their games would take advantage of the extra horsepower of the NX Console, making it undesirable by consumers and developers.

shaowebb

Ooooh a return to cards or cartridge stuff? Thats gonna alleviate the load time thing a LOT. Ought to help with ram and such overall and allow developers to push hard on the console. Plus less moving parts would mean more stability.

Heres what I'm curious about.

Is Nintendo going to sell each game on its own Cart or Card or push harder for folks to download their titles?

Download only is cheaper for Nintendo and developers, but requires tight records and consumers aren't the keenest on it yet...especially with data caps. Its also extremely prone to bootlegging and forces folks to wait for downloading titles even if its cheaper to buy them digitally.

Perhaps as an option instead of your only route this would be neat like how it is on the 3ds and Wii U. At least that way you could still find used cart/cards in stores to buy similar to used DS cards. Primarily read only cards can be sold in store and resold on used markets, but promoting storing things on cards like they do with the 3ds and Wii U download titles already is how I expect this to run.

Cards are huge though. Not certain what the manufacturing costs would be going back to a card format, but maybe if this is something that utilizes their current manufacturing setup on the 3ds only with larger sizes it wouldnt be too bad for developers and consumers in terms of cost.

I'm excited. This could speed games up a lot. :)

sörine;176282285 said:
The only games we have slight confirmation on is SE games like DQX/XI and FF14. I don't think they'll skip Japan entirely

Vena

sörine;176282285 said:

They'll still release it, just not as thoroughly stocked unless demand demands it.

Oregano

The only games we have slight confirmation on is SE games like DQX/XI and FF14. I don't think they'll skip Japan entirely

First of all they only said they're open to the idea of porting FFXIV and second of all those games could easily be available on a handheld.

Saying that I'm not sure they would really not release the home console SKU even with Japan's depressed market.

First of all they only said they're open to the idea of porting FFXIV and second of all those games could easily be available on a handheld.

Saying that I'm not sure they would really not release the home console SKU even with Japan's depressed market.

You really think FFXIV would be that easy for a handheld? Especially one made by Nintendo?

Oregano

I guess it's hard for me to believe that the NX Handheld will be even at PS3 levels of power, though I would love to be proven wrong :p

I don't see why it's that far fetched. It's standard gen leap from 3DS comparable to the leaps from GBA->DS->3DS. It won't match up in all aspects.

So basically an iQue style variant of a console (Wii U or NX for China). And I'm thinking Wii U because if it takes off with even a small success it might be a good way for NCL to test full retail con s ole games on high capacity carts.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
This is just speculation, however it seems: Nintendo's servers will utilize users' Internet connection to live stream programs and/or data to the users' consoles. - How some live stream video data through e.g. Twitch? Something like of that idea. - This data will be read and processed on the fly, without the need for the game (data) to be stored permanently to the hard disk drive of the user's console. It may download the basic skeleton of the game data, however all the "dressing" data will be live streamed. The game data will be stored only in Nintendo's servers, and all users will receive that data on the fly (and stored temporarily) in order to be processed by the console processing unit. It will also check for corruption in the transmitted data, in order to fix it before processing it. - Nintendo's concepts of hardware are always fascinating to think about.

I guess it's hard for me to believe that the NX Handheld will be even at PS3 levels of power, though I would love to be proven wrong :p

If they use even midrange mobile parts available today it'll output better graphics than the PS3, due to the smartphone boom affordable mobile hardware is insanely powerful.

Using game cards is really smart and the perfect way to make the NX cross compatible with the portable, I'm liking this so far. I love my Gamepad so I'm happy the controller will have a screen but it also makes me nervous because they really need to be really careful to both name and brand this as differently as they can from Wii U. In line with that it'd be nice if they also make the system visually appealing and eye catching so it stands out better. Now, give me a solid launch with either enhanced Zelda U or SMG 3, a viable replacement for the VC, and some better Japanese third party (really hope DQ XI is localized) and I'm all set.

Edit: Also, I love the idea of "Nintendo Go" as a name. Dare I say it could be "the place you go" for great Nintendo content and updates straight from the source!

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm just glad it's looking like the controller has a screen again. Gonna need that for cross portability.

Sure they could go the route that PC DS emulators go, but that would be tacky.

No half measures!

I'm gonna go with a WiiU without a CD drive.

Why would they double down on an under-performing console? I bet physical sales overwhelm digital on Wii U... so this seems less appealing to most.

I love how he read the post about people not bothering to read the patent, quoted the synopsis, and basically lamented exactly what the synopsis was trying to dispel.

Clefargle

Using game cards is really smart and the perfect way to make the NX cross compatible with the portable, I'm liking this so far. I love my Gamepad so I'm happy the controller will have a screen but it also makes me nervous because they really need to be really careful to both name and brand this as differently as they can from Wii U. In line with that it'd be nice if they also make the system visually appealing and eye catching so it stands out better. Now, give me a solid launch with either enhanced Zelda U or SMG 3, a viable replacement for the VC, and some better Japanese third party (really hope DQ XI is localized) and I'm all set.

Edit: Also, I love the idea of "Nintendo Go" as a name. Dare I say it could be "the place you go" for great Nintendo content and updates straight from the source!

That name is already tainted

Top Bottom