• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent for exercise controller/system with load/gyro/acc/temp sensor

Meesh

Wow Rösti you're the patent king!! Is it wrong that I just wanna hang myself with that thing? Sometimes I think Nintendo us batshit crazy, sometimes I think they're crazy fucking genius... I guess time will tell come E3 when alls revealed...

mark_79

Banned
Looks fucking SHIT :D

Please Nintendo, just fuck off and give us a proper controller for the NX.

The slightest whiff of gimmick and you can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Flopfan

Looks fucking SHIT :D

Please Nintendo, just fuck off and give us a proper controller for the NX.

The slightest whiff of gimmick and you can stick it where the sun don't shine.
I don't think this will be the main controller. It will be a fitness peripheral , maybe for wii fit 3?

MuchoMalo

Banned
This thread was extremely disappointing and made me very sad (after I finished laughing at the controller). But it's not because I'm afraid of this being the NX controller; it's because I can't believe that anyone would actually think this is it. Are you people even reading the title? -_-

CengizMan

Reminds me of this.

microsoft-xbox-360-wireless-steering-wheel_100351830_m.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
kFYCOw5.jpg

yo we reporting now

saw this trending on FB and came here looking for this.

Expected it to be the #1 topic with 300 pages of mad gamers ... but nothing. Y'all are dismissing this like an exercise peripheral when this looks 100% like some dumb shit Nintendo would do.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
saw this trending on FB and came here looking for this.

Expected it to be the #1 topic with 300 pages of mad gamers ... but nothing. Y'all are dismissing this like an exercise peripheral when this looks 100% like some dumb shit Nintendo would do.

I mean, the patent itself specifically refers to "exercise" and "training." I'm not sure what else you want to convince you.

The main object of the present invention is to provide a novel training equipment, training system and an input device.

How do you view that as anything but exercise equipment?

wheapon

This looks like it is just a thing you'd mount on an exercise bike or elliptical as handles (so you could have a game driven by your button and pedaling/walking input).

I don't know why anyone thinks Nintendo would use this as a primary input device for the NX. Nintendo has no track record of poor input devices for their consoles and this has a clearly stated purpose in the patent.

Looks like QOL stuffs

Do we have any reason to think this will be NX related?

I thought the QOL line was going to be a completely seperate entity of products

AgeEighty

I kind of wish people would stop digging up these patent filings.

Yes, I know it's interesting to see what kind of things Nintendo's R&D cooks up. But these things spread around the internet stripped of that context.

Right now, my Facebook trending feed is littered with people reposting this with comments that are all variations on "SMH, I'M DONE WITH NINTENDO, WTF IS THIS?" Because of course, this has been reposted by gaming blogs who either bury or don't report on the fact that this is just a concept that will almost certainly never seen the light of day. And those are the links that end up going viral, not the NeoGAF post.

EDIT: Of course, now that I'm actually reading the comments from the last two pages, I see there are people even HERE who don't understand that these concept patents rarely ever reflect real products.

yoonshik

This patent got published two days ago. It's a controller similar to the one on the OP, but slightly different.

Source

I don't know if there's more info regarding the design or capabilities. I don't have an EUIPO account.

Xun

This patent got published two days ago. It's a controller similar to the one on the OP, but slightly different.

Source

I don't know if there's more info regarding the design or capabilities. I don't have an EUIPO account.
QoL = sex toy

It all makes sense now...

Top Bottom